Anonymous
Years ago

Weigh is a waste of space

Couldn't guard Madgen. Can't create his own shot and shots contested crap. Turnover prone, doesn't get on the boards.

Sure hit a three at the end of regulation but big whoop.

And gets to play 30 minutes a game.

Pull your socks up mate.

Topic #26789 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand you frustration and yes hes not warranting play 35 mins a game but "doesn't get on the boards"!!?? that one things hes been doing extremely well must be avgin bout 8 a game

Reply #338550 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Getting sick of the coaches pet playing 35 minutes, and contributing -20 points to the team!!!

Surely Clarke has gotta go now!

Reply #338553 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

I get people's take on Stephen Weigh's game but he did well with defensive rebounding tonight and while he didnt light the board up with points, he was ok.
I agree he didnt gurd too well tonight however has improved since we saw him in the first game at home.
I wouldnt judge him too hard, Id look at guys like Crosswell who has how many seasons experience?

He threw the ball away once in the third, and again in o/t. Unforgiveable!

Reply #338556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed bad call about getting on the boards, I was thinking more the offensive glass.

Reply #338557 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

and that other twit can go as well
welly
deadwood in the last qtr

got the worst shooting action in the league and the same decision process when bringing the ball down to match it.
bottom three this year
clarke will get the ass

Reply #338562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luv the sixers fans losing it. Guess they are well experiencd in the cellar

Reply #338564 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

love anons being anons
:roll:

Reply #338576 | Report this post

#  
Years ago

thought simpson matched up better on kazzouh than ballinger - ballinger could hold him but not get a hand in his hook shot lane - simpson has a bit more reach

Reply #338586 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Ugh...

Reply #338587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd: 5,049

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/kings-too-strong-for-sixers-in-overtime/story-e6frecj3-1226193598259

Reply #338596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still love weigh, im perth fan, he got the ball rolling when u bet us here. Thats why u get imports!!! The team hit there shots in perth that night, if it wasnt 4 that u guys would b 0-6. Keeep the faith!!! If ure a true fan. U just keep supporting, thats when the team plays!!!!!!

Reply #338599 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Jacob Holmes anyone?

Reply #338604 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

The only possible explanation for leaving Weigh on court in the 4th and then in OT was that Clarke has his rotations worked out pre game and sticks with that..

He refused to block out on the D boards and made Ratsch look like a legend. When isolated he couldn't guard anyone 1 on 1.

WHy Balls and Diamon sat so long is beyond me.

Reply #338606 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No one was boxing out, I don't think that was something exclusive to Weigh. Simpson should've been on more.

Reply #338607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can't create his own shot and shots contested crap"

weigh got 12 points (3rd highest)
at 45% (5/11) decent went 5 of those 11 were threes

"Sure hit a three at the end of regulation but big whoop."

kind of got us to overtime

"Turnover prone"

he got 2 out of a team 17, just ignore crosswells 6 there

"doesn't get on the boards"

got 7, 3rd highest

Reply #338614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh actually looked over at u's in the crowd at the end of the game and said thanks for coming and sorry for losing. People on here are over reacting. The grey headed ref cost u's the game. Julian should have been fouled out before it, dj drove at him and no call clearly a foul. That ref let him do what ever he wanted to do.

Reply #338616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good points anonymous. Hard to beleive the Adelaide Fams are talking that crap when the stats say they havent got a clue. Trouble is Marty has less of a clue.

Reply #338618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant blame the refs for our loss....the players lost it with poor defence all night and stagnant offense.

As for Khazzouh fouling out when Johnson drove at him that was a good call by the ref cos Johnson was clearly drawing the contact and trying to get a foul on Khazzouh.

Some fans are still wearing rose coloured glasses and need to face facts, we arent that good and it isnt always the ref's fault!

Either the playing personnel isnt up to it or the coaching staff isnt up to it - maybe both?!

Reply #338624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do agree that Weigh's stats suggest he had an ok game but being there and watching it suggested otherwise. He did get a lot of minutes for a player that looked to be struggling.....he certainly isnt giving us the player he looked to be in the pre season.

I dont think at this stage he has proved to be anymore of an upgrade on Holmes but hopefully he will be?!

Reply #338626 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Weigh is currently playing a passive game and not an aggressive offensive game which we require. When we played Perth in Perth he came out aggressive and that is what we need. We require him to drive and get to the line. When that game is working then he can take 3's.

In Last nights game 6 of Weighs shots came in the last 10 minutes of the game

for the other 21 minutes he shot the ball 5 times which is not good enough! 1 of those was a half court shot

In fact he scored the first bucket of the game so after that he took an average of 1 shot per 5 minutes (or over 6 minutes if you exclude the half court shot).

Realistically he only shot the ball 9 times last night in 31 minutes as one was a half court shot and the other when we were down by 10 in OT with 6 seconds left.

He is getting rebounds but when he is playing 35 minutes a game on average that is expected. That is 1 rebound every 5 minutes.

Brad Hill is averaging better then Weigh in 8 minutes less per game!! Weigh is meant to be an upgrade on Hill and the only upgrade there has been is the Salary. Looks like he is too happy with the Salary and doesn't want to earn it. Sure after the game he looks bitterly dissappointed but how about using that energy at the start of the game so we have a better chance of winning! He should be one of our main players and shooting 15-20 a game of non forced shots.

Reply #338628 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

KingJames - the 6ers seem to have plenty of scoring options now, without Weigh needing to take shots from other players. Given scoring is not the team's problem (any more) but defence continues to be the big problem, I'd expect any discussion of Weigh's role in the team to focus on if he needs to improve his defence and how he can do that - particularly in a team with defensive weaknesses in so many other positions.

Reply #338632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon on 3 occasions Simpson had his hands straight in the air and Julian ran into it yet down the other end he is moving into dj yes dj initiates contact but it's a foul everyday of the week. Then the on the next play a kings player is dribbling down the court runs into Warren and it's called by the grey headed ref what's the difference? As a team I thought we were ok the other two refs ok but if Julian fouls out there we proberly win and everyone on here is saying good win not this player that player is crap. We have the youngest starting 5 in the nbl. Balls is missing shots that he nails every time and some poor subs by the coach but compared to the last time we played the kings we have improved heaps.

Reply #338633 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Weigh is currently playing a passive game and not an aggressive offensive game which we require"

Its kinda funny that you say this KingJames since both Hill and Holmes are playing more agressive and Holmes is now a much better player for it since leaving. Seems we take that agressive scoring attitude out of players lately. Ninnis and Clark both seem to stop players really taking it to the other team.

Reply #338634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was in the 2nd row up the end where dj drove on kazz. It was clearly a foul but my mate next to me Said no way. I guess it was 50/50 but in the context of the game it Shouldve been called. My biggest gripe was when madgen clearly hit the ball out up the other end and on the replay the grey haired goon was 3 feet away. The ref didn't cost us the game- we are just a shit team. While we have good enough cattle ( not to win a title bt be competitive ) we have no heart or pride. No leader on court, I think Ballinger is our problem. 3/13 last night and second guessing 10 ft jumpers. He takes a massive chunk of our payroll and can't deliver, if we got rid of him and got a 4 man that was hard with strong D we would win 70% of our games

Reply #338635 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Thread title should have read "weigh is a weighste of space" for humorous value!

Reply #338640 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Remember that Simpson was taken from training to hospital for stitches in the jaw and Ballinger had ankle injury , last season and that Weigh is the coaches best player.

Reply #338642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so he had a mismatch that went against him last night. The only people disappointed in weigh are the fools who expected him to be a star. He is a developing player. The last three games hes had 40 points, 20 rebounds, as many assists as turnovers and hit 7 of 17 from three point. hardly a waste of space even if they dont tell the whole story.

Reply #338646 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

PeterJohn, there is no way the Sixers would have paid so much money to Weigh for the sole purpose of defense. His defense has always been average at best. The Sixers main scoring targets are Warren, Johnson and then probably Weigh since Ballinger has been away.

Skud, not really. Hill is playing the same way he was here but getting more consistent minutes as well as more minutes. Holmes had his chances here but didn't do much with them perhaps too complacent being in Adelaide. Also if Johnson and Ballinger were both injured I think he would be getting the same stats here as he is in Townsville. It will be a better indication to see how he goes once Schenscher comes back.

Reply #338647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Hill is stinking it up in Cairns really, seen his shooting percentages?

Yes 12.8ppg, 6.6rpg and 2.8apg but shooting 39% FG, 11% 3p and 64% FT.

Reply #338649 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Weigh should be and would be embarrassed by his inability to contain Ratzsch, who really isn't much of a player. But aside from that, he's been quite solid this season. He's a much better rebounder than I had previously given him credit for.

This might be overly optimistic, but he reminds me of Martin Cattalini just before he became a great player. I can only hope that he ends up half as good as Cat was at his best.

Reply #338653 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Weighs shooting is 40% from the field also. Hill has never been a good 3 point shooter, his strengths are driving and he has been doing that getting to the line twice as much as weigh in 8 minutes less per game time. Cairns would be happy with his season so far. Adelaide would not be happy of how Weigh has performed.

I am being harsh on Weigh but I do believe he has so much talent yet he isn't choosing to use it and that is disappointing.

Reply #338657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh is averaging 12ppg, 6.5rpg and 1.7apg shooting 40% FG, 36% 3p and 75% FT.

He's having a better season than Hill.

Reply #338662 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Brad Hill is stinking it up in Cairns" Lots stinking then, Abercrombie 40%, Jackson 38, Weigh 40
Bruton 32 A Warren 36 Madgen 37 Ubaka 39 Ng 39 Rush 37, Saville 38 and Wortho 38 and many others.
12.8ppg (18th) 6.6 rpg 13th 2.8 apg 17th in league
and 1.4 topg. Really smelly!! I'd like to be doing that well in social ball.

Reply #338667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he's not. Hill has been a key player on a team that is 2-3 despite missing their two best players. Weigh has been ok though. hardly deserves this thread.

Reply #338668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree anon - can improve, but far from a waste of space. So many get caught up on minutes played, but he was fourth in the team last night, I think.

Reply #338671 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Good point KingJames. However, looking at what the team needs from him at the moment, it probably is defence. The 6ers now have a team that seems to have more offensive options than last year. We've been able to put up winning scores without Ballinger and with him doing much offensively, since he returned.

The people who take the shots vary from week to week but the overall scoring is good enough to win games. I don;t expect to see this team relying on 2-3 heavy scorers week in and week out, as it has had to in past years. So Weigh not having a big offensive night when others are filling the basket doesn't worry me. Weigh scoring 10 more points and the rest of the team scoring 10 less is a zero sum game and won't turn losses into wins.

The problem we have is that, while making a winning score, we can't keep the opposition to a losing score. That's what I'm most worried about and it's the key thing (for mine) that hasn't changed from last year (nor from the previous 8 years).

BTW - if it hasn't been started already, I think there's a case to start a thread about Ballinger's form since his return from injury. He's been back for a few games and I thought would be having more impact (offensively) than he has. Do people think he's still getting to match fitness or is there more to it. I'd be interested in hearing from folk who've seen him play since returning, as I haven't.

Reply #338684 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ballinger - about what I expected by missing the end of last season , missing all of the pre-season and the start of this season.
Clarke - Told the TV news tonite that Sydney are a good team and we were good for part of the game and our offense has improved but defence needs improvement
A lotta of our players tell us that NZ and Perth are the benchmark 'cause they've gotta core group been together for 3 years.
Anyways, Ng unlikely to go 'round agen next season.
Whether Johnson and the others wanna go 'round with the bottom team ?

Reply #338685 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Balls looked fit and keen, just nervous and unfamiliar in that role after years as the main guy? The moment I remember is when he got the ball dead on to the basket, close in, and had one of those Jason Williams "what do I do!?!?" pauses. Unless you're Boucher, your decision to put that in needs to be automatic.

Never seen him look like such a confidence player needing to get something going before.

Reply #338689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember that Isaac I still can't believe he didn't take the shot.

Reply #338691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of last season the 36ers had to WEIGH up their options!

Reply #338693 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Ugh...

Reply #338715 | Report this post

NĂºmero UNO  
Years ago

How much does he get payed by the 36ers?

Please avoid the response "too much"

Reply #338716 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Once again what player has performed to their maximum potential under Clark. All the players we have had start out great and slowly decline and he continues to coach them. Holmes and Hill are obvious examples of getting away from Clark.

Its like Ninnis 2.0

Reply #338718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Hill tonight vs Perth:

6pts, 2reb, 2to, 3/7 FG, 0/2 FT

Reply #338723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh: 12ppg, 6.5rpg and 1.7apg, 40% FG, 36% 3p and 75% FT.

Hill: 11.7ppg, 5.8rpg, 2.3apg, 40% FG, 11% 3p and 58% FT.

Reply #338727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we forgetting that our only win of the season was against Perth and weigh was our best player for the 1st half and solid in the 2nd. You guys just need to relax the Difference between sat night and the last time we played the kings was a massive improvement. 1 thing I will say is creek and balls turning down two open shots is not on. Creek had an air ball then Clark took him of. Clark should have left him
Out there not put him on the bench.

Reply #338732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skud, Holmes was MVP at the Dragons, wasn't he? They finished last. Players play different roles in different teams.

Johnson is arguably at his best right now. I think Weigh's numbers are career highs or close to. Sometimes it just comes down to court time, who's around them or there form. Look at Forman this year compared to last, both times under the same coach - many factors at play.

There were easily as many Hill and Holmes haters last year as there are "look at them now"-types this season.

I'm on the fence about Clarke. I saw costly errors out there against Sydney that you cannot put on the coach and that I'd also call uncharacteristic for the players in question. Crosswell for example is top five in assists, a veteran with a past championship and still threw a very wayward pass at a critical time. A club MVP got the ball in prime scoring position and looked like a baby deer in headlights, despite being 4-5 games back in action.

And calling Weigh a waste of space is ridiculous - there are a lot of well regarded players in the league not even averaging double figures. E.g., Dorsey. Weigh is getting minutes, but Ballinger has not been demanding them with his play (18% 3P) and Simpson looks like his frantic style limits him to shorter bursts, etc.

Reply #338733 | Report this post

Wozman  
Years ago

As frustrating as Weigh can be, I would definately take him over Hill. Even though Weigh does get alot of minutes I think his versatility allows for this. I noticed Brad Hill's 3pt% Why is Brad Hill shooting the 3 ball anyway ? As one legend said ' A man has got to know his limitations'. Hill is a slasher and works better when going to the basket. The reason Hill stated the season so strongly was that Loughton and Crosswhite were both injured and since their reason, Brad Hill has reverted back to being 'Brad Hill'. I think Weigh does play better when aggressive (like against Perth) but seems like he needs motivation/reason to do so. When he doesn't play aggressive ball he is a hinderance to himself and his team.

Reply #338735 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As usual, for those interested, I ran my script to calculate +/- for every NBL game so far this season. Here are the numbers for this game - "waste of space" might be OTT, but looks like that stretch of Ratzsch and Weigh killed him:

Adelaide

• Mitchell Creek (6)
  • Diamon Simpson (1)
  • Nathan Herbert (1)
  • Darren Ng (-4)
  • Adam Ballinger (-5)
  • Wade Helliwell (-6)
  • Daniel Johnson (-8)
  • Chris Warren (-9)
  • Nathan Crosswell (-10)
  • Stephen Weigh (-11)

Sydney
  • Kevin Ratzsch (14)
  • Julian Khazzouh (12)
  • Graeme Dann (10)
  • Aaron Bruce (8)
  • Luke Cooper (8)
  • Jerai Grant (3)
  • Luke Martin (-1)
  • Martin Iti (-2)
  • Alex Gynes (-3)
  • Ben Madgen (-4)

Reply #338740 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Are we forgetting that our only win of the season was against Perth and weigh was our best player for the 1st half and solid in the 2nd." - No we are not forgetting and that is why we want him to step up and be aggressive rather then passive.

"Weigh: 12ppg, 6.5rpg and 1.7apg, 40% FG, 36% 3p and 75% FT.

Hill: 11.7ppg, 5.8rpg, 2.3apg, 40% FG, 11% 3p and 58% FT."

Why did you fail to mention Brad Hill is playing on average 9 minutes less then Weigh? Lets adjust the figures so that it shows what Brad Hill would be averaging if he played the same minutes as Weigh

Weigh: 12ppg, 6.5rpg, 1.7apg, 2.7tpg
Hill: 15.7ppg, 7.8rpg, 3apg, 2.2tpg

Isaac, career numbers (only just though) but also getting 10 extra minutes per game from when he was at Perth.

The guy is not a dead weight but needs to step up and do more.

Reply #338746 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Those +/- stats always grind me lol would you really say Sydney is better without Magden and Adelaide is better without DJ....

I think the +/- is to affected by who else is on the court, if they all suck then DJ's going to go into the -'s

Reply #338764 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's absolutely true, but if you start to notice one or two starters, as an example, are deep in the minuses and where the others arent, you need to look into why. Team balance, defence etc etc.

Remember Acie Earl? A lot of people thought he dominated but opposition centres used to have a field day on him at the other end. +/- is one way to monitor whether a player helps/hurts you with the unmeasurables as much as he helps/hurts on the stats sheet.

Reply #338766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The +/- stat is useful but of course is not definitive with respect to the value of a player.

For example, when one coach takes their gun players off then it is common for the other coach to do likewise.

If Alonzo Mourning had a negative score in a game versus shaq in 40 minutes of action it does not mean he is less valuable than his back up who destroys Shaq's back up.

Reply #338768 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Absolutely agree about comments regarding "deer in the headlights"

Even if there is a team rule stating the open 3 point shot is the preferred shot over an open 2 point shot, Ballinger should still have taken that shot. 11.1 seconds to go, scores tied... why do you need a 3 pointer? it was not worth the extra risk.

Brett Maher clearly agrees also, his question to Warren was very interesting "Dont you think the team is living and dying by the 3 pointer? particularly down the stretch?" Warren answered in the plural, and was very defensive...{implying to me a team rule} Ballinger also did not mention his turn down of the shot.. which really disappointed me.

Not trying to defend Ballinger, i thought his decision sucked. Balls mate if you are that close and that open, if there is a team rule, disobey it ! Diamon would have finished the game there and then if he made the catch, that's for sure...if the coach trusted him for overtime which is another story...maybe he was worried about his foul shooting..

The total team commitment the 36ers have to taking 3 pointers annoys me. If you take them you have to rebound the misses on the foul line area and they don't do that. They just all roll back and try to defend the ineviable fast break on the miss.

As to DJ's - against Sydney, i just think the Kings are a real difficult match up for him. He struggles blocking out the Big Kazoo, menaning Balls or Diamon have to match up the Big Bazoo and then that hurts our offence....

Pretty sure DJ is a lot more affective against other teams.

Reply #338771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He needs a hair cut

Reply #338781 | Report this post

bolter13  
Years ago

not true

Reply #338795 | Report this post

bolter13  
Years ago

Does any one know why weigh left perth or what he is being paid.
May be he wanted a change or wanted a bigger challenge?
By the way Tovey played 30 plus minutes against gold coast and scored 1 point.
May be these coaches see more in these players on the court in value terms than what you dick heads do.

Reply #338796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tovey also had EIGHT turnovers in last night's game against the Taipans.

He didn't even make a field goal all weekend either going a combined 0/7 from the field.

Reply #338800 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754