Isaac
Years ago

Nov 19: 36ers vs Tigers

Some interesting bits from the NBL's mail-out:

Adelaide haven't enjoyed a victory over the Tigers since 27 December 2008.
Adelaide on the other hand are one of only two teams in the NBL currently to have five players averaging double-figure scoring (the other is Sydney).
Adelaide import Diamon Simpson has been a great find for the 36ers and is currently averaging 13.0 points and 7.6 rebounds. He is making an astonishing 74.3% of his shots from the field, and if he can maintain that rate for the rest of the season he will break the club record for highest field-goal percentage ever for a season. The highest previously by a player who played more than just a couple of games was 73.7% by Willie Simmons in 1994. Incidentally, Simpson’s 7.6 boards per game is also the highest averaged by a 36ers player since the 2008/09 season (before the league moved to the shortened 40 minute game format).
Anyone else a little nervous about the 36ers trying to contain Mills and Tragardh?

For those interested, the Adelaide scorers in double figures are:

Chris Warren 18.2 PPG
Daniel Johnson 15.3 PPG
Diamon Simpson 13.0 PPG
Stephen Weigh 12.0 PPG
Nathan Crosswell 11.0 PPG

Adam Ballinger is averaging 8.3 PPG and the plan would be to get him back into the starting line-up, so he would almost certainly be in double-figures by the end of the season. I'd be surprised if Crosswell can maintain that average though - well above what I expected from him in terms of scoring.

Topic #26829 | Report this topic

Justin  
Years ago

Those are some great stats from simpson yet hes not even playing half a game hmmm.......

Reply #339074 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That stat is a pretty damming stat - 1,054 days without a win against them, but then again the long the drought, the bigger the rain..

It's Heritage round and the Sixers will be toasting the 1999 Championship team and what a team that was. Davis, Maher, Cattalini, Sapwell, Mee, Brooks, Rees, Bauer, Stiff, and Williams. Coached by the General and assisted by Breheney and Ninnis. They might be dying whatever’s left of their hair grey these days and have taken the belt out a notch or three, but that’s still a formidable team in anyone’s language. Won’t someone get the highlights reel onto You Tube?

To say last week was disappointing is an understatement. Those games are the ones that need to be bagged up and shrink wrapped early. Tonight is no different. Obviously Mills and Tragardh carry the hopes of the Tigers with Ubaka and Greer not fair behind. Johnson and Simpson are the key in the front court for the Sixers with Warren the detonator to the bomb needed to blow the Tigers home with their tail between their legs. Another tussle will be Creek v Walker. So the questions to ponder this week are:

1. Can the ’99 team inspire a win?
2. Should any of those guys be suiting up?
3. Will the refs need to keep the Tiggers in the game?
4. Do they purposely make bad calls just to fire the crowd up?
5. Does Warren need a chair and whip to tame Patty Mills?
6. Will he "drop on the deck and FLOP like a fish"?
7. Will we see plenty of Diamonds? or will the coach weigh up his options?
8. What antics will Murray get up to on game night with a toy tiger?
9. Will we hear Moscow played on game night?
10. If Skip doesn’t play Moscow, will he play Cold Chisel - Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye)?

Reply #339076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comment on 8 Murray is TOYING with the idea!

Reply #339079 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Who would have thought that we'd have 5 players averaging double figures and Ballinger isn't one of them. Shows that offensively, there really isn't that big a problem.
If Ballinger starts making his shots, we have one of the most potent offensive units in the league. Makes the fact we are 1 and 5 even more unbelievable.
This team has easily the worst defensive ability I've ever seen in this league.
This one is going to be a shoot-out. Could get extremely ugly for us if Mills and Ubaka are distributing and creating for others, not just trying to do it themselves.
DJ vs Tragardh should fun to watch. I'm tipping 50 points between them.
They don't really have a big threat in the 3 position (Dorsey/Greer), so Weigh might do fairly well. Can't see him leaking 20 against him anyway.
Warren vs Mills/Ubaka will be a high scoring battle too.

Reply #339082 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sixers are actually favourite to win this game who would have thought that! Sixers $1.85, Tigers $1.95

Reply #339097 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

King James, to be honest its not too surprising. if the last few seasons are anything to go by, the sixers have regularly displayed the pattern, of winning games that they shouldnt which instills that little bit more hope for the fans, only to have the winnable game the next week lost. with the amount of talk going on about clarke, everyone is expecting the sixers to lose, but history shows we will win and then plummet for the next lot of games.

Reply #339098 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Melbourne tigers are on the second game of a back to back and they don't get into hotel until 2pm then they need scouting session , gameplan, dinner and shootaround only 5.5 hours before game ...hopefully it works in our favour.

Reply #339103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Dorsey and Greer over Weigh Hendo.

Reply #339110 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Welcome back the Doomsday Double.
I remember one game v the Tigers at Apollo starting late because their flight into Adelaide was late. They came straight from the airport in uniform ready to play.
Was it West Sydney the only team that pulled off the double?

Reply #339112 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Aah West Sydney burial ground of the Westars, Razorbacks & Spirit.

Reply #339118 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I beleive North Melbourne Giants might have pulled off two wins on the Doomsday Double in the late 80's

Reply #339156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I had a house I'd be putting it on the Tigers.

Reply #339158 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good on you Jack Toft may some of your wishes and vision be answered.
The only wish I got last home game was they replaced the announcer from home game 2.
The real question is can Weigh and Warren contain anybody .
Another wish list if Tragarth scoring easy points under the ring like the Kazzough we take our chances and double defend him at times when clear he is going to get the feed in .
Question re our Diamond is will Clarke let him shine or weigh up his love for the man or keeping a job will be weighing on his mind .
Key question will ref doing first game be any worse than ref doing it for 30 years.
Can we get the excitement and crowds we normally get for Tigers games.
Can we dream that we might pull off a unlikely win

Reply #339161 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

If we can win this game it can really boost the season. If they get the confidence to play at home and put that with the way they have played away they could turn alot of prospective losses into great wins.

Even if a win doesnt help the season I want to see one!!!

Reply #339169 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, I tipped Adelaide, and the way my tipping's going this year that means they have no chance!

With Melbourne coming off Perth the night before, with signficant mismatches inside, and with a rocket up there arse after last week, if Adelaide dont win this they arent going to win many.

Reply #339171 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was the President of The United States , just then on TV News ; " Patrick Mills is pretty fast "
he told us.

Maher is prety happy to be ' remembered ' with this game.

Clarke - " It's still coaching Basketball . Just that AIS is about development and this is more about immediate results.

Grantham - " It's only a quarter of the Season , let's give him some more time.

If we cain't be Sydney we ain't gonna win many -
I said that.

Reply #339199 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'If we cain't BEAT Sydney ' - I meant to say.
Gotta bit excited with such a big coverage on the TV.

( Batkovic's pretty good tooo. )

Reply #339202 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well the doctor interrupted me just about then
saying that if this is a double header then ya cain't go .
Cambage n Batkovic .
Aw Oh , Lizzie , you're such a tasty treat.
But I'm under Doctors orders , I'm afraid to over eat.

Reply #339257 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anonymous Reply #339158
If you had a house, you would place an anonymous bet on the Tigers so nobody would know who's house to claim when the 36ers win.

Reply #339298 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's irrelevant when there's no house to be bet on.

Going to try to be positive (again), hopefully this time the 36ers can get it done.

Adelaide by 7.

If the Sixers lose, that would put Marty in the precarious position of 1-6. If the sixers fail to beat Melbourne & then Gold Coast next week, with Adelaide then playing Perth in Perth, I reckon this match v Melbourne has his job on the line. If he loses tonight, i'm calling it that he won't be at the helm of the Sixers next year.

Reply #339300 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

KET, the house was a joke. The 36er's to win tomorrow is no joke. Hope they can do it.

Reply #339303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:47 am, Sun 5 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754