tiger army !
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers underperforming?

how can the tigers be 6-6 ? i know the loss of mills was going to hurt them, but with a great import guard in ubaka, one of the best open court players in dillon and tragardgh nailing every shot, surely they should be winning more games...

Topic #27059 | Report this topic

Greg  
Years ago

I don't get it either. But then you watch them and I think they really are missing a centrelayer. Also, with Dorsey's amazing talent I cannot figure out why he settles for the 3 ball 9 times out of 10. I am not sure if he has always played that way or if he has got a little in love with the 3 ball since coming to Australia.

Reply #342637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burston back from injury and a player to replace Mills should make a big difference to that team.

Reply #342647 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

They should beat townsville at home this week... if not, without a nice replacement for Mills then I would write them out of the playoffs.

I really though they would do well without Mills but I guess the record tells the story. I still think they have a great team talent wise but Mills must have been giving them all a confidence boost or something?

I dont think the absence of foul first Burston is making that big a difference.

Reply #342659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tigers have been very poorly coached. gleeson's minutes are all over the place, if a guy doesnt score right away he's on the bench again. look at walker's minutes the last few games.
they run no offence when the games on the line, just jack threes.

Reply #342665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills wont be replaced..!!

His China commitments finsih in March, plenty of time for him to come back and help the Tigers in their playoff campaign.

They need to maintain a 50/50 split or thereabouts and they will be ok upon his return.

Burstons injury has been the bigger curveball as there is nobody to give Trigger a break of any significance.

And yes, the ugly 3 ball barrage at the end of some close games this year (Chewy, i'm talking to you) has cost them a few wins.

Fun times ahead.

Reply #342669 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think its a combination of bad coach, no 3 point threats and not a very good front court. Without Burston they are shocking. They have tragardgh and then who else? Greer brings good hussle but is to small as a PF and doesn't have an offensive game which is required at NBL level. Walker while a good enough size and with atheletic ability is more of a small forward. Liam Rush IS a small forward but being used as power forward at times which is a huge waste. Lang is rubbish it seems. Burston is one of the best back up centers in the league however they really need a powerforward to compliment Trigger.

Dorsey is over rated as a one trick pony. Dillion is over rated as well I think.

They don't really have one consistent 3 point threat let alone a few. Dorsey hits them sometimes, ubaka hits them sometimes, who else? This is where Corletto would be a great addition for them. With no consistent 3 point threats they aren't able to create spacing inside.

Reply #342671 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Doubt they even have a chance against Townsville.

Woolpert has Gleeson's number (he taught him everything he knows), and they already beat them in Melbourne when they HAD Mills (who had a great game: something like 16 and 12).

The problem with a Gleeson team, as we have discovered over the years, is that things can get pretty stagnant on the offensive end when the threes aren't all dropping. And Melbourne doesn't have the shooters to keep everything afloat.

Reply #342673 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not many teams can lose their starting point guard and only true big man, not replace them, and still win. Especially when they had already lost 2 out of their last 3 before they lost their PG.

Melbourne need to make a move or theyll slip out of contention. Ubaka and Tragardh are exhausted down the stretch from carrying the load.

Reply #342674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to be honest i think dorsey needs to go, as an import there expected to be one of the top players in the side but all he seems to do is jack 3s and hit the occasional one, would rather seem them bring in a new import or give someone from the seabl etc a go

Reply #342718 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I find it interesting that the people on this forum can see how vital Burston is to the Tigers....yet the coach can't!! He'd be lucky to be averaging 15 minutes a game until his injury. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Gleeson has no clue on how to cover the loss of Mills. It's obviously not written on his 'answer card' that he refers to during time outs.

Reply #342739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers loose again in overtime. Minimal substitutions in last Q and OT period, of course the players are going to run out of legs. Get the rotations going to keep the guys fresh for longer periods of the game. Walker and Rush should be used a lot more.

Reply #342740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dorsey won't be going anywhere as he's pretty much their best perimeter defender along with Tommy Greer.

Reply #342741 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I don't think Burston will make much of a difference when healthy. not that he don't have the ability to but Gleeson's trying to play small ball all year and Burston was getting limited minutes anyway

Reply #342743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burstons been playing like absolute trash throughout the season i think its moreso due to their gameplan of pretty much live or die by the 3 in the last few minutes of each game, and the inability to knock down most of those open shots when they get them

Reply #342757 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think that's harsh. In limited minutes I think he's done all that he could. It's a shame he is always injured as I agree with the others and the tigers need him.

I completely agree with the 'he who shall not be named' commentator who said we are doing nothing for the development of the boomers by running small line ups in the nbl. The few genuine bigs that we have can't develop here.

Reply #342770 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tigers rely on Trigger to much for offense, if he picks up a few cheap fouls they are screwed down the stretch

Reply #342797 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

the way he plays defense i don't think they'd be worried about him in foul trouble

Reply #342947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754