Attention needed
Years ago

Ignorance of Kings GM & Owners?

I saw the replay of the Kings v Perth game yesterday.
Poor decisions and comments in the final minute shocked me.

The first was Luke Cooper being played down the stretch instead of Luke Martin.

Second was Cooper taking that tough runner over 2/3 guys down 1.

3rd was in that last timeout with 27 seconds to go, Perth at the line for 2 shots and Moose says to go for a "two for one" possession if we can....

Fourth was Luke Cooper running to a shadow in the last possession situation when Bose was looking to get him the ball for the final set... with 20+ seconds to go.

None were good signs for that club. Most GM's have little to no basketball intel, they are sales pros but does this kind of thing get missed by club power brokers? Would they recognise how poorly thus was managed??

Topic #27407 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Chairman of the Sydney Kings Phil Hudson has been involved with basketball for decades and his son is the Asst Coach.
Where do you think the problem is?

Reply #348193 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

4th was not having Jerai in the game during that important time of the game!

5th Luke Cooper waving his hands up encouraging the sydney fans to make lot of noise when Graham Damn was shooting two free throws to win the game. And can somebody inform the Kings court announcer this shouldn't happen on your home court. WTF!

Unfortunately the GM has limited power and cant make decisions that would definately improve the Kings on and off the court. But the Owners who have only basic knowledge of basketball at best make the horrible decisions..case in point. Hiring Moose as the Kings coach!

True

Reply #348194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, because the Kings are so bad. 8-11 sounds ok to me. what did you expect a championship in their second year? need a new coach for next season though.

Reply #348195 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kings couldn't hit the side of a barn from the freethrow line /end thread

Reply #348196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner appointed Moose not the BOard. They are good mates.

Reply #348202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could not believe the crowd were making noise while Dann had his free throws! Amazingly bad. Most of the B Grade celebrities there didn't really understand that every time Sydney scores it was a touchdown.

Reply #348210 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

The problem is 14 shareholders, all with a stake, all who believe they've got a clue about the game but for the most part really don't. That's 14 people with differing agendas.

As far as the GM is concerned, he's got no say in how the team is run. David Wolf was brought in to be the quote "commercial guy" because ownership didn't like the fact that Bob Turner was too close to the team. Wolf has nothing to do whatsoever wih decisions regarding the roster, import selections etc. The team is run by a team committee of which Ian Robilliard is a part.

Reply #348215 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The owners or the Coach didn't miss their freethrows, the team did

Reply #348217 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

True, but the coach is responsible for preparing his team to go out and win. Like Marty, Robilliard clearly has no idea how to do that.

Reply #348218 | Report this post

Attention needed  
Years ago

PG who hides late shows lack of character and value.
Luke Martin would not do that.

Reply #348223 | Report this post

How Luke Cooper is even on the team, is what I'd like to know. There are many more deserving and promising youngsters or even SEABL PGs that could and should be in that spot.

Clean the team out and get Cotter as coach

Reply #348229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kings are 8-11 this is true but their players are on a par with the other teams roster add a true import in place of ratsch who can make plays and they are top 4 team I like a lot of their players they r very capable but r not played or worked correctly. There is no coaching going on at all. The players r not practicing anything that will help them in a game. But what can one expect of a person who in charge has no clue about basketball other than to advise his players to crack them at every opportunity which surprisingly enough was how he played. ConnerHenry was not kept as coach for 2 reasons one he actually knew basketball the players listened to him because he can actually coach and more importantly he was dismissed because the master manipulator Tim Hudson whose father is chairman wanted to control moose which is super easy and he could not do that if conner was there. Get rid of Tim then moose in that order and then hire anyone else they will be 100 times better. And another thing why all the hating on Brendan Joyce he is actually a real basketball coach. Anybody who knows basketball would be a huge upgrade. To sum up the kings r a joke when there is no need for it.

Reply #348241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooper is a good SEABL player at best so with him running so many minutes, especially in the 1, the Kings did well to even be in the position to win the game from free throws.

Whats going on with Khazzouh? Still putting up good numbers but hasn't seemed himself since returning from the states.

Reply #348258 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kochie's an owner of the Kings, give the owners some love "Attention needed"

Reply #348259 | Report this post

Attention needed  
Years ago

KET: whatever, financial expert, cue card reader... why?

Reply #348266 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Isaac,
Small question, I have been using this name for a long period and I now notice someone else using ID, although not all CAPITALS like mine. OK?

Reply #348280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit off topic but I laugh every time I watch a Kings home game. Trying to copy the NBA by having, as Anon put it, B Grade celebrities, looks ridiculous. They're really not high profile and a lot of the time aren't there. When the court side seats are empty it just looks bad. I would like to see some junior kids in those seats. The so called celebs aren't paying for them so give them to kids.

Reply #348281 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Bit harsh on Cooper, he is a back PG at NBL level who is pass first/defensive minded so really he fills a role, if Bruce isn't injured he only plays 10mins a game.

Also I think the bigger issue I'm hearing is the players aren't happy with the ownership group due to pay issues and no true decision makers on a few issues moving forward!

Reply #348284 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

How was Rehages face guard on the final foul shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYc7ypnMcy8

Reply #348285 | Report this post

AtholPark  
Years ago

Chewie - that was such a blatant foul. Shame on the refs for not calling that. However, the Kings played badly in the 4th quarter, the Wildcats stuck to their game and broke down the less disciplined Kings.

Reply #348289 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754