Anonymous
Years ago

Peter Buckle & The Lightning

After two big wins on the road & only the 2nd Lightning Tevilvised game of the year I must say I am very impressed with how the season has progressed.

Buckle has turned the club around it would seem in only a very short period of time, with a high player turnover.

How good do ppl think buckle is of as a coach? He has been around the coaching traps a long time, is with the opals as an a/c. Some ppl don't like him because of his attitude some times, but I believe he is a very good coach doing some great things with the lightning.

Hoping the lightning continue their sucess a bring another championship back to adelaide...meanwhile the men will probably be close to bringing a wooden spoon.

Thoughts?

Topic #27426 | Report this topic

YeTi  
Years ago

I wont buy into the Lightning v 36ers, cause really that's a chalk and cheese comparison, as is Coaching. However Peter is an excellent coach who really is showing what can be done when the purse strings are let loose. He did a more than capable job with a lesser budget/roster in T'ville and now is showing the lessons he learnt from his time at Canberra where they regularly bought the best on offer.

That lesson really was to bring in 3 vets like Suzy B, Jo Hill and Jen Screen. This solves the "ownership interference" problems, on and off the court. It makes the team his, and not Angela or Vince's. Bringing Bish back to SA not only adds to the local content/support, she also adds a tough match up that most teams can't handle either on the perimeter or inside. Her recruitment plus bringing Amy Lewis in from Townsville adds 2 future Opals to the 3 vets, coupled with NZ Olympians in Marino and Edmondson.

Those 7 players, who dominate the spread, plus some solid role play off the bench (eg Herrick to smack bodies, use up fouls), is a great recipe for WNBL success. Add a more than half decent coach and you've got a Premiership coming up.

Reply #348566 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Saw the game on saturday afternoon and was most impressed with the coach - not only did he focus on the game instead of the referees, his timeouts were all positive, as were those by Logan's coach.

Thought it was disaster waiting to happen after the Dandenong game, but this coach can think and adjust. After the weekends results and barring upsets of a major kind, we definately will have finals action in Adelaide. Well done to the team and kudos to management for getting the right coach and recruiting the right players. Money wisely spent!

Reply #348647 | Report this post

Revhead  
Years ago

Yes a great coaching effort by Bucks,one that surely will be recognised with an overdue, coach of the month award.Also accolades to the players for bouncing back, and answering the knockers after one poor performance.Tremendous to see Screeny have a great two games.

Reply #348666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has bucks not won a coaching award?
I would think he is a shoe in for COTY surely?
2 great wins, especially without suzy. Great 2 see!

Reply #348690 | Report this post

Elmo likes wasabi  
Years ago

sign him again please

Reply #349101 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:18 am, Thu 2 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754