hoopie
Years ago

Tigers vs 36ers, Feb 3

Anyone agree with me that Dorsey will be gone if the Tigers lose?

He might stay if he scores 30 points, but I reckon if Seamus gets another reason to go into orbit then RonnyD will be outtathere.

Topic #27462 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

We need to play Bartlett and Creek on Allen otherwise I think he could unleash on Warren.

Reply #349153 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If Tigers lose this one Dorsey will not be alone in being nervous. Seamus may pull out the paper shredder & & obliterate all contracts!

Reply #349175 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Tigers to win by 25pts & Trigger to hit some shooting form this week!

Only way 36er's win is to go inside to DJ often and expose Trigger/Bruston!

Reply #349178 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Isaac: Breakers do that defensively with Abercrombie and Leon Henry on opposition Import PG's, long limbs in the passing lanes shutting down their options. Works well as long as they stay in front and/or they get help when beaten.

Reply #349189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we borrow Seamus's shredder!!!

Reply #349190 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I'm glad you've found a use for Leon Henry Mystro :)

Reply #349191 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

why's that Mutley?

Reply #349193 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Tigers by 10, and that's optimistic. Both sides will really be feeling the pressure, so I don't expect a good game.

Reply #349195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Gleeson be sacked on the spot if they lose??

Reply #349203 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

If the Tigers cut Ron Dorsey it creates a bigger problem then we already have, he is the only player opposition teams get out for the 3 ball. Maybe Bennie Lewis also but that is being generous.

He may not be playing well, but cut Ron and every team goes to a zone and the Tigers don't win another game for the season.

Reply #349204 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Dorsey just thinking damn i shoulda stayed up in Cairns

Reply #349207 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Mcpeake needs to let this group regroup. Will he? Prob not. Gleeson would b a big payout. Tigers surely won't lose this one?

TV game will be worth a sticky!!

Reply #349220 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

I like what the 36ers have done this week with the mentoring, bringing in previous champs etc but playing in Melbourne plus Myron Allen worries me. I think the Tigers have this one. Full game review on today's blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/02/danger-danger-36ers-v-tigers-3212.html

Reply #349241 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

As a Kings fan, it's difficult to figure out who I would prefer to lose... If it could be a draw and both teams could lose, that would be great :D

Purely for the Seamus-Factor, I'd love to tip the Sixers to get this one on the road as I'd love to see what the big man will do to further stain any credibility that the NBL has as well as destroy his team further...

I have DJ as my DreamTeam captain, so, I can't believe I'm saying this... "GO SIXERS!" heh...

Reply #349245 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A Tiggers loss will mean they have had three losses in a row at home, and a run of 7. I would like to think that Herbie is a key cog in the Sixers winning machine. When he is hitting 3's and playing good D things happen.

Like 90% of the fans, I would like to see Marty let Creeky off his choker chain and explode like a zit on a teenager's back.

Methinks Helliwell might get a few minutes tonight. Wade, if you are going to foul, make it a bloody good foul!

Sixers to go out hard early, get a good lead, then watch it erode through lack of help D. Sixers may be bad, but Tiggers are woeful and have forgotten how to win.

Sixers to stumble over the line by 2.

Reply #349249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love Marty to realize this ain't development ball and players can stand out from the crowed

Reply #349322 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I think the 6ers will get this. Other teams have shown that if you shut Trigger down the Tigers will not get enough out of the rest to get the W. Tigers started Burston and Trigger last week I think and so Marty should get Simpson to go at Trigger in the post while Johnson who has good range keeps the far better defender in Burston out of the lane.

But then Marty should do many things that seem obvious (like leaving Simpson on the court for more then 20 mins a game)

Reply #349328 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

I put down 400 bucks on the 36ers. At $2.25 it was too hard to resist especially after seeing Melbournes form lately. I'm hoping for a huge game from the doctor. Play good D and get Ng hitting his 3s and there is no reason why the 36ers shoudln't win this game.

Reply #349331 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

either you have too much money or you dont value what you have very highly.

i mean i love the 36ers, and they can win this one, but this team is seriously flaky.

it could go either way. damn sure i wouldnt lay down 400 on them. i could think of easier ways to triple my money ( if im working it out correctly?). im hoping you are 800 up after tonight buddy good luck.

Reply #349336 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

is this the televised game tonight??

i checked the onehd website and it didnt say..

it did however tell me what was on foxsports tonight.

frakking media ownership laws in this country are a joke.

Reply #349343 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Adelaide are out to a 9-0 lead after only 2:36 of the first.

Please please please PLEASE can they keep it going...

Reply #349344 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

And phil, both of the 36ers games this weekend are on OneHD

Reply #349345 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ah nbl.com to the rescue. it is indeed the televised game.

Reply #349346 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Adelaide 19-13 up after the first. Warren with 8 pts (2/4 including 2 of 3 3's), Simpson with 4 pts and rebounds, DJ with 2 pts (1/4) and 3 rebs.

Reply #349347 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Our team - the Adelaide 36ers lead at half time.
Simpson's played way more minutes , as has Creek..
so, we'll see.

Reply #349350 | Report this post

Set Shot Buford  
Years ago

Online TV live via http://www.sportlemon.tv/

Reply #349351 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Enjoying the online live link but quality of footage isn't great. When your wife asks, "Who's the guy that looks like a human sausage?" you can be sure the quality isn't great. Still ..... sorry One HD, at least this is live.

Reply #349353 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

So the team and coach has got the full support of the board have they? Well they sure haven't got mine and at over $600 for 2 gold tickets. enough is enough. Weak as piss!!!! The Sixers are the laughing stock of the league.

Reply #349356 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like Weigh wanted to pad his stats a bit.
Creek sat for a long while , came on rusty.
Simpson 17 and 9 in 30 minutes , although he's not a 30 minute player , Clarke told us , on Sunday.

Reply #349357 | Report this post

Watching  
Years ago

Spoiler!!!

Another game,

Another loss.

Trigger goes for 20. Didn't shut him down that's what you get. Warren drops 31 on 10/18 and 5/10 from 3, Johnson shoots 3/14.

Another choke!

Reply #349358 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Well done Clarke you are useless. Sixers board ...... Please get rid of this waste of space. Enough is enough!!

Reply #349359 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I've begun expecting losses, so I'll try find some positives.
Firstly, It's 1 game closer to having a new coach :)
Secondly, Simpson played more than 30 mins (though he was off when it was there to be lost).
Warren had a good one. Been a fair while since a sixer put up 30.
2 players played more minutes than Weigh. One of those happened to go 3/14, but that's beside the point.
Warren had a 4:2 assist to turnover ratio and had 3 steals.
Hmm... That's probably about it.

Reply #349363 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What a terrible game...

One word: turnovers.

Reply #349365 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Haven't seen the game obviously, but not sure how much you can blame Marty for this one.
Will have to see the defensive side, but we had basically no bench.
Ng didn't fire a shot. Helliwell was Helliwell. Bartlett went 0/6. Herbert went 1/5. Creek went 1/5.
It isn't Marty missing shot after shot.
Defensively we know we are terrible, when the offense isn't working either, It's a wonder why we even came within 6.
We basically had only 4 players who did anything of note. Could argue 3 as Weigh did a bit of padding at the end and his opponent easily beat him. Warren had probably his best game statistically. Simpson was reliable as usual and got the minutes he deserves. DJ couldn't shoot but still got 11 rebounds and a couple blocks.

Reply #349366 | Report this post

Watching  
Years ago

Wow how many missed runners in the first??? I've seen about 5-6 easy right at the basket runners missed, and a Mitch creek stuffed dunk. Sixers players def look to have cost themselves this game. Could have been up another ten in the first. Should have been 29-13

Reply #349373 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Spot on hendo. Marty didnt miss the wide open shots ,pass the ball straight to the opposition etc etc
This was get able and I am confident about Sunday for some reason

Reply #349374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warren finally getting into the lane now only needs the Ervin foul calls. He can get past any defender if he wanted to.

Reply #349375 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Can't believe Creek hasn't been called out on here for showboating and screwing up a dunk

If that was Weigh there would be people with pitchforks waiting for him at the airport!

Reply #349377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ with the unsportsmanlike foul with 1:18 left killed any small chance the 36ers had of scoring that win.

Reply #349378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see all the expert coaches, coaching.
Pay kids and one day hope them to develop in to a winning franchise is Marty's ultimate mistake. Problem is the fans don't have a clue.

Reply #349379 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'm only watching the replay so I can see a bit more clearly but I did watch the online link given.

Un-fucking-believable. We should never have lost this one. Another in a long line lately...

Reply #349380 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

I thought Marty generally coached well. Tonight it was the players who did not perform (except Warren and Simpson). Creek made a few blunders on easy points which wont get him more minutes.

Reply #349381 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

We should have won this game.

Coaching wasn't all bad.

The players blew it and made a lot of stupid mistakes or turnovers.

I do wish Darren Ng played more minutes though.

Reply #349383 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Warren clearly the standout and DJ , Simpson and Weigh did well. The rest werent flash and Creeks game was one to forget. Wasnt the coaches fault we lost , I know its easy to bag him but the players need to execute. At times tonight the game was sloppy and very poor turnover made. Anyway hope for a W on Sunday. Go 36ers !

Reply #349384 | Report this post

vertigo  
Years ago

For a 'so called' professional sports basketball team to make how many turnovers in a game is really poor?

Everard Bartlett does what on the court?
Lurch (Helliwell) gets 7mins?

For the first time ever, I swear this team sucks bad.

Herbert doesnt do much also. Just seems a very misplaced team with no idea on how to get better or move.

We are in the bomb shelter, and guess what? Perhaps this year or this season we might learn that 2 successive years means less members, less corporates translated into less money might be the difference between a decent team with a new coach or a team who hasnt got the money to stay in the NBL.

The Brisbane Bullets left, the NBL was disappointed but they realised it might happen and did. The 36ers are on a knifes edge me thinks, and SOS might not be able to save this ship.

Reply #349385 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Damn there goes my 400. I seriously don't know how they lost. Tigers are shit as well. At the start of the 4th quarter when Warren went on that run and got 7 points in 1:30 i thought 36ers are looking good. Then they fuked it up. DJ is a good player but seriously whenever he goes for shots outside the paint i'm always thinking omfg don't shoot.

Warren and Simpson were sik kunts.
Bartlett had great D but he missed way too many layups and easy shots.
DJ was great on rebounds and good at his free throws but he was just throwing up too many bricks from outside the paint.
Creek was shit.
Weigh had his moments but he was fairly quiet.
As for everybody else there wasn't much contribution.
I would've liked seeing Ng play more minutes because that was how Wollongong did well against the Tigers last week. They were just kicking it out to Cambell and Saville for 3s and open shots. That's what 36ers were doing in the 1st quarter throwing it out to Warren. I like Daly but i'm not sure why the coach deciced to put him on in the middle of the 3rd when scores were tied and Warren was having a great game. In the end Daly got a couple of turnovers in a couple of minutes and ended up getting benched. It's not his fault though it just highlights how bizarre Marty's interchanges are especially when he only gives Ng 2 minutes to play when it was a game that Ng very easily could've been the difference in because it came down to offence.

Reply #349386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek just was robbed of confidence tonight. Young fella will bounce back. People should lay off Weigh a bit because he has been injured all season. Still has been far from their worst.

Reply #349387 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Looks to me that Marty doesnt want NG next season and so isnt giving him a chance. Limited minutes and no plays set for him in the last how many games. If Ng was playing against us for any other team he would be used fully and would hurt us badly. Played properly he could have made a huge difference tonight. Bit like Jake really.

Good to see Creek getting more minutes. Keep it up and his mistakes will go as his confidence builds. Cant see why he would want to stay with us though.

Game given away by trying to coast through the third quarter. Becoming a regular pattern. Give it away in the third with the B team and then try to play catch up from then on.

Dissapointing.

Reply #349389 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Clarkes rotations suck. Did you see Jim in the timeouts? How many times did he say umm? My Div 2 U20 coach had more ideas.

- Warren played great- if not for him tigers would've won by 20. 8.5/10

- Daly way out of his depth gets crucial minutes and turns it over twice arrrgh!

- DJ great hustle on the boards but quit the jumpers bro your not Dirk! Only shoot your jumpers when you've hit 5 shots in the paint. 4/10

- Creek you played crap, I've said it all year he is over-rated
massively. He is still too young & immature. He probably had his boys in the arena so tries to throw it down like Grandmama ( FFS mate use 2 hands ) then he travels on the break he should be eating that shit up guys on my social team are better finishers and that's what your meant to be good at?
No doubt creek has potential but never gonna be a boomer mate. Crucial turnovers in the 4th when he should've been benched. 0/10

- Weigh knocked down some shots and was reasonably solid 6/10

- Simpson always gives you what you'd expect. 7/10

- Turnovers boys!

Another game slips away but there are some good signs

I still love you 6ers

Reply #349390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, Creek is garbage. The guy gets pumped up way too much on here, he can't play simple as that I'm sick and tired of waiting to see some sort of glimpse from this guy yet he continues to disappoint. His ceiling is Brad Hill and that's being generous.

36ers now bottom of the ladder and looking at a second wooden spoon in three seasons. Worst defensive team in the league too, not unsurprisingly. Tragardh 10/14 DJ 3/14 says it all really.

At least Warren showed something and hopefully he decides to start going to the hole a bit more like tonight.

Reply #349391 | Report this post

cbomb  
Years ago

Totally Agree, Creek is way over rated. he cant play at this level. I think he will slowly fade away. hope he enjoys his new career at the servo station

Reply #349392 | Report this post

cbomb  
Years ago

On a psoitive note, I love the Tigers new import, great to watch! Cam T, Keep going brother you will get back into your great form you have shown. D Dillon, Love your game! as for 36ers Great job Warren and DJ keep posting hard, they will eventually see you mate!

Reply #349393 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Bad loss in a bad game. Turnover city. Gotta praise Warren, shot the lights out and battled hard all night. Simspon and Dj did enough but not much from the rest.

I'm a fan of Creek's but he stunk it up bad. He's not a good road player. Shouldn't have come back on in the 4th after the game he'd had. His confidence was shot. Clarke not all to blame but he must be questioned on the 4th qtr minutes given to Bartlett, why Ng only got 3 mins in the 2nd with no shot attempts and wasn't brought on again and why Daly came on at that key point of the 3rd. He may say he's giving them minutes but I don't buy it. If that was the case Daly would have played 10-15 minutes and Creek would have seen out the 4th.

I've written loads more on my blog game review

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/02/sixers-up-creek-adelaide-vs-melbourne.html

Reply #349394 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

mehhh
im not surprised

turnover
turnover
turnover

marty on the board at a timeout
err, say something, dont just draw lines with a whiteboard marker and say fuck all
show some bloody passion and be confident in what you are putting down as a play ffs

yet
no surprise

Reply #349398 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Warren was great but missed the lay up (should have dished) that really could have given u a sniff down the wire!

Reply #349400 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

yeh exactly harry. Half the problem with Clarke is he never shows any emotion. He treats every game like it's some fkn experiment and spends his whole time just face down in that damn whiteboard. But than there's also his bizarre substitutions, sudden gameplan shifts, giving minutes to the wrong players etc. If he wants to give guys like Daly minutes than he should wait for appropriate times instead of just sending them in the deepend at crucial moments. At other times: 'hmm Simpson is playing well better bench him".
Also i know Ng is kind of 1 dimensional but he's shown over the years that he can step up and contribute as a role player to the team. However, Clarke never uses him. He spends soo much time in his whiteboard you'd think he could come up with at least 1 or 2 plays that are custom made for Ng. Yet instead Clarke talks shit for 60 seconds and scribbles around and than just says 'yeh boyz make sure you get it down to DJ'.
Back to Back spoons for Clarke!!!

Reply #349401 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

finally got to see a game. Oh for Nathan Crosswell - whenever Warren was off, we had no offensive focus and could not hold on to the ball. I begin to see why Simpson has played less minutes than he should. He got tired quickly whenever the tempo picked up and made mistakes as a result. He went off, had a rest, and came back better.

Agree that the players were not up to it. A part from Warren, none gave a consistent 4 quarter effort and several stunk it up. I include Creek and Daly in that group. Baased on the bench players' performance, I am not surprised we are looking at bottom place. Ballinger and Crosswell left a huge gap and we don't have the players to fill it.

The closeness of the game reflects how poorly both teams played.

Reply #349403 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

talk about put pressure on the young guys, is Creek supposed to dominate men who have been playing Basketball at this level for years? Let the kid develop his game. It's taken Abercrombie a few years to get his game where it is now, was a development player for a few years after College in the States and then cracked the Breakers roster. It didn't all happen in his fist 2 seasons.

Reply #349404 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

re Clarke's subs last night - when the players doing okay got tired, he had to rest them. Given everyone he brought on was making mistakes he seemed to be trying to find someone who wouldn't screw it up. The problem was the bench wasn't able to deliver well enough.

To Clarke's credit, he brought Warren back in earlier than he would have planned, to replace Daly. He seemed to manage Simpson's time well, to get the most out of him.

Reply #349405 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

"To Clarke's credit"

should and can not be used in any post without

A) sarcasm

B) lol at the end of the sentance

C) in referance to the australian cricket captain

Reply #349407 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

ps - I have not been a Clarke fan and expect him to move on next year or the one after. but last night I thought he did okay. The time outs wee saw were focused and he was giving the players pretty clear direction about defensive adjustments and offensive sets.

Losing Crosswell and Ballinger has exposed just how deficient some of our players are - either because they are inexperienced or they are not high minutes players.

Reply #349409 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i wont defend creeks game last night but overall people are making some stupid claims. most kids his age are coming off the bench for an average college team playing against 20-24yr olds 9/10 of who will never go on to any professional basketball. instead he decided to stay in oz and progress in the nbl. what is he 19 maybe hitting 20? if he already had all the skills of a good nbl player at that age he would have been signed by duke. has plenty of time to build his skills and confidence. obviously it can be frustrating to watch a guy who has physical talents we wish we had not bank everything.

( im not knocking the college system for what they can do for young players. what you go there for is great programs, great tutelage and to get noticed)

what creek has to decide in the next few years is if he is happy to be a mid-range to good nbl player or if he really wants to take off.

everyone agrees he needs to work on his jumpshot. doesnt need big range but if he can become very solid from mid-range will help. there is one big thing that i think he can work on though and that is his first step/ off the dribble. has all the athleticism to beat his opponent but unless you can do it with the ball in your hands you will always rely on a window of opportunity and a neat pass from your teammate. look at some of the best players, their athleticism is amazing but what separates players like d.wade and lebron is their ability to put the ball on the floor and use that athleticism.

Reply #349412 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Exactly Peter john
Clarke is getting bagged for not running set plays etc and just scribbling on his white board incessantly - the one timeout that sticks in my mind was when he focused on defense for 90% of the time then drew up a simple 2 pass play to get DJ the ball in the lane. It was so simple an under 10 team could do it.... And what happened? DJ cut to hoop and got a seal on his player but noone gave him the ball - who's fault is that?

Sure Marty has many shortcomings but to take the easy way out and bag him all the time won't help anything

Reply #349413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has no one mentioned that the Tigers run zero offense against a zone and you guys were dominating in your zone but marty didnt zone once in the 2nd half? if you had no coach and just told them to zone the whole game they wouldve won by 10 at least

Reply #349415 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We had a chance to see Creek and Simpson's most minutes ever.
So yeah , Simpson's better in short burts.
Creek made mistakes.
Weigh got his 33 minutes in , with a sore foot and doesn't train. Ballinger trained , this week and would've been better than a lot of our players , out there last nite.
Melbourne liked our zone better than our man.

Reply #349416 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Very amusing Thomo, funniest post in a while!

Reply #349418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally the fans are starting to realise the problem. The team. Not just the coach. Kids at this level won't win. They need time to develop losing Ballinger is a problem too. Experience of course. The kids will one day be men, but that comes at a price. Loses.
Marty was great at coaching kids in the AIS format. That doesn't translate to coaching men in the NBL.

Reply #349420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek can play.. U blokes obviously don't understand the game of basketball

Reply #349422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke did a good job tonight, Imagine what difference ballinger and croswell could have made to some of these close games this year.

Reply #349425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke did a good job tonight, Imagine what difference ballinger and croswell could have made to some of these close games this year.

Are you forgetting we were just as bad when both Ballinger & Crosswell were available this season?

Reply #349442 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Anyone that says Creek is not good enough to be in the NBL is an absolute idiot!

I also watched him play his worst game in the NBL last night. However, I see differently to the people that are being negative towards him. I see a 19 year old that has had all his confidence torn out of him. Now instead of playing intuitively and his natural game like he has his whole successful basketball he is playing with no confidence and is thinking too much about just going out there and not stuffing up. The result is how poorly he is playing.

This kid has all the pressure on him to actually do something when he is on the court since he has limited minutes. The games he has done well the coach won't leave him out there.

Weigh on the other hand will get 35 minutes court time regardless of how he is playing. It is fine for some reason for him to coast in games, play average defence and is so lazy that all he offers is jacking up 3's. This guy has no pressure!

Creek probably played junior basketball as a power forward or small forward. He has been so successful that he is a starter in the Australian Junior team.

He has always been one of the dominating players in his junior years and playing ABL with south last season because he would get the privileges that Weigh currently does and they would play to his strengths. Now he gets 15 minutes a game, he must do as Clarke says and they don't play to his strengths.

I have never seen the coach once in two seasons get Creek to post up against a smaller opponent. Once he got the ball against a smaller player they would struggle to guard him and would always require a double team which would make it easier for the rest of the team. This would be a huge advantage for us but instead its more important Weigh Jack up 3's.

As much as I hate saying this it would be better for Creek to join another team as he would get more opportunities, they would have more confidence in him, he would get paid more and he would become the baller he is meant to be.

Reply #349443 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

For the record Sam Mackinnon joined the league at age 20 and averaged equivalent to 30 minutes per game in a 40 minute game.

Creek averaged 17 minutes in his first season and 15 minutes in this current season.

If Creek was to get the same minutes Mackinnon was getting it would be a different story with how he is currently going.

Reply #349446 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

King James I see potential for sure. Ballers don't hit their prime till 25-28 so he's got plenty of time. He just stunk it up last night that's all. I still want him on our team but last night, playing in his home state nerves set in bigtime. If he powered in that jam and made a statement of it by going up with two hands he wouldve loosened up and played well and who knows those two turnovers in the 4th might of gone differently and the 36ers got up. Not blaming those turnovers on the loss they just happened when the game was in the balance.
I wish Creek windmilled that shit and smashed the board!

maybe next time

Reply #349448 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon #349415 - Experience last might suggests the zone was not going to work. 36ers went to zone early in the 1st, coming back from a Tigers time out. At that point 36ers were 10-0 up and Tigers were lost on offence. First possession against the zone the Tigers scored, and next possession they carved up the 36ers zone and scored again. 36ers went back to what had been working before the time out and did not go back to zone.

Reply #349451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Creek sat for a long time and then came in and made two bad mistakes. Dont forget though that before that he had played an excellent defensive game and - along with Bartlett and a horrible fourth foul call - made Allen a non-factor.

Reply #349453 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As for Clarke, his decision to run Daley on his own late in the third was a really bad one, and he sat Creek for too long just because Allen was in foul trouble.

He didnt spend long enough in zone in the second half and the team's pick and roll defence has been woeful most of the season.

He had the team doing a lot of good things though, and I thought he probably just won the coaching battle on the night.

Reply #349454 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Everyone is an expert when the team loses it seems

Reply #349456 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Paul - I agree about Creek's defensive game being pretty good. Overall, I thought most of the 36ers did okay on defence - at least as individuals. It was really only in the last quarter and when the second unit was on for the 36ers that the Tigers scored with freedom.

Reply #349457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek doesn't deserve more minutes. He is playing awful basketball.

He was hyped up as having Newley, Ingles, Jawai type potential. He doesn't. Don't need to be an NBA scout to work out the major flaws in his game.

I remember hearing he was a Mackinnon type player. He's not. He's just as much Mackinnon as DJ is Bradtke and Daly is Brett Maher.

Creek has similar athleticism to Jason Williams but with less of a handle and a worse shot.

Being in denial and building around young duds isnt going to help.

If I am wrong re Creek's potential (which I hope I am whether with us or elsewhere) then it is a further indictment with respect to Clarke's coaching.

Can't coach veterans and can't develop young players. What else is there?

By my recollection Creek showed more in his first game out of AIS than he has since. No improvement whatsoever.

Either has no work ethic re his shot or is doomed to be Shaq like and never be able to shoot.

Reply #349458 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon #349442 - I think you're wrong about teh 36ers doing justr as badly when Crosswell (in particular) and Ballinger were playing.

We're 3W-5L in games with Crosswell playing, and scoring 93ppg while giving up 96ppg.

In games without Crosswell, we are 2W-9L, scoring 76ppg and giving up 85ppg.

Ballinger played most of the games Crosswell played and vice versa - just the 1 where Crosswell played and Ballinger didn't (the NZ game where Crosswell got injured). Crosswell missed a couple more games at the start of the season than Ballinger, so there were a couple there where Ballinger played and Crosswell didn't.

My initial comment about last night was simply based on the sense that another good ball handler running the offence would have kept turnovers down and allowed more effective offence, especially when Warren was off the floor. The above numbers make me wonder if there might be more to the discussion, from the point of view of the season as a whole.

Reply #349461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch works as one of the hardest in the team. Time to lay off a little folks. He is 19!! Don't forget there is more to basketball than just points. He did a really good job last night with his energy and hustle and his D. His upside is tremendous. Hardly any great players in history come in at 19 and totally dominate. They get better over their first few years and then explode. I have no doubt he will do the same.

Reply #349462 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"It was really only in the last quarter and when the second unit was on for the 36ers that the Tigers scored with freedom."

Haven't seen the game yet PeterJohn but that rings true for me. Our bench has killed us all season. So many games I have watched our starters play well and get a lead, then it all goes pear-shaped when we go to our bench.

Not having the experience and talent of Ballinger and Crosswell has really hurt the Sixers this season and I think too many people on here overlook that when savaging the coach, front office, Weigh and whoever else the latest whipping boy is.

I am not surprised about your comment on the Sixers playing zone as well. A good zone can work, but when I've seen the Sixers play zone this season they have generally been broken down very easily.

Lots of work to be done this off-season to improve the roster again, and whoever the coach is, they MUST be able to get the players to learn to rotate better on defence and run offensive plays more reliably.

Reply #349463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Working hard @ 19 is pointless. The fans want W's and it wont happen the way they are beoing run,selected, and coached.

Reply #349466 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

our bench gave us 5 points at 9%
depth has been a killer all season

Reply #349467 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, the player gets the turnovers but you still find a way to put it on the coach. How about some variety at least?

Reply #349470 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

Amazing how many NBL coaches get on here and bag Marty Clarke, did he make the 18 turn overs!!! No!!
Did he rip Daly off when he couldn't get the ball up the court? Yes! Good coaching!!
Johnson's unsportsmanlike foul was always going to be one! Learn the rules people!
Take the sturt glasses off and realize that Daly and Ng as well as Helliwel would NOT get a game at any other NBL club, and probably a few others as well.
Be pretty hard for a coach when one of the owners son is in the squad!
Unfortunately the sixers are not that good, so just support them and lay off the coach cos it's getting boring!

Reply #349473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slick: Clarke picked and played the players who missed the shots and got the turnovers.

Clarke didn't inherit this team.

He obviously has a decent say in the selection of the team considering Brad Hill left and Ng is anchored to the bench.

Don't make it sound like poor Clarke has his hands tied.

Rubbish coach and we will be rubbish as long as we have him.

Its amazing how many 'non-NBL coaches' write on this forum who make more sense than what I see coming from our NBL coach.

Reply #349476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imma let you guys finish but as borderline outlandish as it sounds I'd like to see us re-sign Helliwell and instead of treating him like the big plodder he is from next season I'd like to see us force feed him some more touches in the post along with giving him some more minutes.

As rude as Helliwell looks now he did show he could play back with Brisbane and seems to have fallen into a role as designated big stiff overseas. I'd like to see if we can rekindle some of that old Helliwell when he was putting up 14 & 6 for the Bullets.

Reply #349477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of helliwell I would have preferred of we had signed schencher. Luke,dj,Williamson,crosswell,warren with weigh,creek and Herbert as main rotations

Reply #349479 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Everyone has to take some blame for that loss. Some of the players did little and Clark made some bad moves. The positives? Better use of Simpson. Wasn't anchored to the bench for any overly long strecthes. Chris Warren's game. Shot selection was good and got to the rack a lot more.

Reply #349480 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac, I was defending the negativity towards Creek rather then specially targeting the coaching of Clarke in this game. The reason someone with his talents is playing so poorly is due to his confidence level. I think the coach is a big part of that.

For the record I think the coach played the right people for most of the 4th (until the Creek Experiment), finally. It didn't work out but I was expecting it could go either way due to the players confidence level as well as playing on the road. I don't think they should have put Creek on in the 4th after how he had been playing the whole game. I think Ng should have gotten more minutes and Weigh less.

Lets not get too excited about being competitive with the Tigers as they are playing terrible basketball and had lost 6 straight. We missed lots of shots and had lots of turnovers however Tigers had more turnovers.

I imagine Towsville will destroy us.

Reply #349481 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

KJ, the player gets the turnovers but you still find a way to put it on the coach

Isaac, take it one step further and say the player that is coached by Clarke gets the turnover. For a developer of players, Clarke is taking this team backwards. He is undeveloping. Can't you see that the players are not free to play their natural game and the mistakes they make come from confusing messages or fear of the coach. I just think the team cannot play a good game while under Clarke's thumb. This season is shot anyway, lets get the coach the hell out of here and see what happens with just Maher and Davis. I am so sick to death of him he is completely ruining any enjoyment of the game or support for the 36ers I have had in the last 10 years.

Reply #349485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng is a serious injured liabilty and needs to be moved on. Sure he can shoot the loooong 3 but he needs to actually finish a full season year in year out.
Bye Dr Ng.

Reply #349493 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Lol players ok marty might really be marty feldman, many laughs and no real direction. I think Ballengers day is over, should retire while he is a head.
Wonder if they will have any sponsers after another loss, I would hate to have money in a team that strives to be at the bottom of the ladder due to a coach who says he is on track to rebuild (first coach to say that and not move up ladder) Management who is right behind a losing coach, and a team with no leadership from coach and owners.
Pretty sad, if i was a player this year I would not bother next year. Much rather listen to a good piano concert

Reply #349858 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754