Tornado
Years ago

DJ to test Free Agency

Not happy here or testing his value around the league?

Hopefully it is the latter and Adelaide match or better any offer put to him from someone else.

He would have to be the favourite to take out the club MVP too....

Topic #27671 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good riddance!

Reply #352382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I knew he would. He can get stuffed. no loyalty in the NBL especially when you think your THE MAN. ID rather Schencher

Reply #352386 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Second best (behind Khazzouh) true centre in the league and will only continue to get better!

We need to move heaven and earth to keep him....as he is hard to replace

Reply #352389 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hey Anon - never changed employers yourself, then? And I assume you'll be equally outraged if Kyrie Irving turns his back on the USA (where he's lived since he was 2 and whose system has fostered his basketball development) and plays for Australia?

Reply #352391 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

It would be good to keep him but I wouldnt be moving heaven and earth...

last year Ballinger was getting into foul trouble because DJ could not guard the opposing starting centre, this year it has recently been a tactic to try and use a tall starting centre to get Simpson into foul trouble ditto same reason..

If DJ could defend either big position i would be considering moving heaven and earth...

some guys just like changing clubs, might have nothing to do with the 36ers.

Reply #352393 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

This is the same arrogance he shows on the court..thinking he is better than most.
We do need a player like him in the team and should try what we can to keep him..but not at all costs...and doubt we can afford to with other teams hunting.
It sucks when players get brought into a club..make a name for themselves because of that club and they think..hmm im going to leave...really a lack of respect their used to be for the fans and a lack of dedication and loyalty.
Would love to know if a new Coach would help his decision to stick around.

Reply #352396 | Report this post

Illusional  
Years ago

Seriously, this is a business! He is playing the best & most consistent in our team. He works his butt off & we're still going to miss playing finals AGAIN!
Why wouldnt you go somewhere else, earn the dollars & have a chance of winning a championship! That's what it's all about isn't it! Don't get me worng, i want him to stay & i want Simpson back to improve our chances next season to work with Ballinger, but it's not realistic to think we can keep great players in a losing team.

Reply #352401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GREAT players make their teams better. Johnson does not.

Reply #352404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the above post 100%. Guy is all about his numbers.

Reply #352408 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Johnson never said he was leaving Adelaide, I believe he is just testing his value on the market.....much like Gibson did with Gold Coast.

FWIW DJ did say he loves the lifestyle in Adelaide and is settled here. Also said he is happy with how the coaches are developing his game and how Adelaide is one of the few arenas where you get to train where you play.

These are all things he will weigh up at the end of the season along with any offers that are put infront of him.

More money may not be everything if he doesnt think he will further develop at that club, which will be important if he wants to achieve things like playing for his country??

Reply #352410 | Report this post

PattyLove  
Years ago

Tigers should chase Johnson for next season... they need a legit centre.

It would look a little scary on the defensive end though with DJ alongside Trigger. Who cares though as long as they score more than the other team.

Reply #352411 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

hahah some of you blokes are dillusional

If someone offered you double of what you are earning now, to do the same job in another city, you would say no right? HAHAHA
Yeah right....
Sport is a business. If you want loyalty rewards join Fly Buys.

Reply #352418 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd guess he's just testing the market. Hope we can keep him unless the asking price gets ridiculous.

He's not a big personality or complete player, but has been persistent on offence against some challenging D and is improving each year. Stats are good. If a new team comes in, we can't afford to be throwing out half-decent players in the hope of upgrading across the board.

Reply #352419 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

He's entitled to test the waters. Sixers should pay him what he's worth, not a dollar more.

Make an offer NOW, make it our best offer, demonstrate that the Sixers do want him and recognise the great season he has had. If he walks from that, so be it.

Reply #352422 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I hope we keep him. He has a high ceiling IMO.

Amazes me that people bitch about him testing free agency, are you serious?

So if another employer comes to you and offers you more for the same job, you would not take it???

Reply #352424 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

What is he? Only 22 or 23? Lock him in for 3 years before we lose him to Europe.

Reply #352427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't see DJ getting a gig in Europe well not in a serious league anyway. He's just too poor defensively and puts up too much rubbish.

Schenscher can opt out of his contract with the Crocs at the end of the season and I'd prefer to see the Sixers with a new coach make another run at Big Luke.

Reply #352433 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If he leaves u gotta get rid of Clarke!

He'll play for who he respects...

Reply #352439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone thought perhaps he wants to see if Marty will still be here before commiting?

Perhaps he really wants to play with Marty?

Reply #352440 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

In a league where big men are so hard to come by, any team that doesn't have Khazzouh would be stupid not to make a run at him.

Reply #352446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

schensher averaging under 10 points per g and under 5 rebounds per g.

Reply #352451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloody heck you lot! His a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE who is out of contract! Like almost the entire lot of the Sixers! They are ALL gonna be looking around! Of course they gonna be open to offers! Of course he'll get MVP, who else is there. DJ will be one of the very highly sought after bigs in the league and will get high $ offers no doubt. Every one of these guys ends up in this position at some stage and unless your on a bloody good team with a coach your happy with your gonna jump ship when the time comes and that's now for any free agent! For goodness sakes anyone would think he'd committed murder! Get a grip people! He will do what's best for him.

Reply #352452 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Schenscher is definitely not the answer....very slow and goes against how the rest of the NBL plays.

DJ is a mobile big that can mix it up inside and outside....a very rare commodity.

Skip, I think he is 24? So has a lot more upside and years than Schenscher.

Reply #352458 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

His improvement with more minutes from last year is obvious. Antother year or two at the same or similar rate of development would make hime very good. A few of us were saying similar about retaining Creek - two of the best young guns in the league. Lock 'em in for three years each.

Reply #352460 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

in the afl teams really put alot of time, money and work into developing kids, sign them at 18 and basically give them a life coach etc, a few may not get to a second contract but usually they will get plenty of time to prove they can play. get offered generally 2-3 yr contracts. very many will be held onto by their club for 6- 12 years.

in the nbl, clubs will compete to sign the established players. young kids may get a chance to sign as a development player or get the 9th/ 10th spot on the list and maybe play some junk minutes. when their contract is up the team may or may not have a new coach, and may want their services or it may not.

i hate how fluid player movement is in the nbl but i think the league and teams really only have themselves to thank for it and can hardly complain.

Reply #352465 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

& get someone to coach them off the bottom 2 sides!

Reply #352466 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i was always a big fan of schensh but i feel that he hasnt been able to keep up any momentum with constant small injuries and he isnt the player he was when he was here in adelaide and may not ever be again. by that i dont mean he will be rubbish, he is still quite good and will get better as long as he can stay on the court, but with his history, build, and age these things usually dont improve but go the other way.

if we needed a centre im all for schensh coming home but i certainly wouldnt put all my eggs in his basket nor jettison one of the best

7 footers in the league

offensive threats in the league

players under 25 in the league

oh yeah, all those were describing one person. you know who he is, yes he is flawed. if he wasnt in someway flawed do you know what they pay 7 footers who can score and defend? yeah add another zero to our total player payments and you might get his multi-year contract figure.

Reply #352469 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he were looking for a few thousand more, I think he'd negotiate a little without needing to wait out the season. But realistically, he's come from the bench (though doubt he was considered cheap coming off the bench) to team MVP, top five in the league in scoring, rebounding and blocks. He'd know that Ballinger is out of contract and unlikely to command the same money again.

It could hopefully just be a way of knocking the price up $40k which isn't unreasonable, though hopefully wouldn't prevent the 36ers from upgrading elsewhere.

If he were from Melbourne and keen to join their new team, I'd worry about losing him there, but Perth have Wagstaff, Knight, Redhage and may want to keep Nevill too.

Only takes one other team to make it a bidding war. Wollongong aren't going to win one. Perth I've mentioned. NZ would probably want to keep their successful combo. Cairns have Loughton and Crosswhite. Crocs and Schenscher - I guess they'd stay together? Melbourne couldn't really pair Tragardh and Johnson (but you never know with them!). Blaze maybe - they have an import and Garlepp plus would free up money abandoning Harvey. Sydney have Khazzouh and like Grant. New Melbourne team is a clean slate.

Reply #352476 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

FFS- It only seems that I recall only a few weeks ago, people calling for DJ to be given less court time, now he is definitely a player we need to retain.
Why, all of a sudden, anything reported in the only daily paper in Adelaide, considered as the truth?
It seems like only last week that the same paper was reporting 'rubbish' (according to many posts on Hoops anyway)

Reply #352482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he playing with west this aba season? If he is, why bother sticking around in Adelaide in the off season if your moving interstate next season.

Reply #352491 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

I think Johnson is waiting to see who is coach is for next season before signing,I be waiting first ,but Johnson has stated he is happy here but hes not ready for the euro league.Sixers should offer him now and he can sit on it til season end.It be sad if Johnson goes to another club with big bucks,hes been our best player this season no doubt will win MVP.

Reply #352497 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

DJ is the only success story Clarke has. If he leaves it speaks volumes...

Reply #352502 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

He'd be a fool not to test free agency. The opportunity doesn't come up every year.

Reply #352503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is here and improving because of the Coach, if Marty is going so is DJ.If I was DJ I would get as far away from the dick head 36ers fans as possible like all
The other future Boomers did. Poor guy can only put up with so much negative crap from people that know shit all about hoops.

Reply #352505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, I don't think Khazzouh is a true centre and he's not close to best in the league. Johnson is also a 4-5. True centers are guys like schenscher, Neville, burston, crosswhite, pledger, helliwell. True big guys are a dying breed in world basketball. Mobile bigs are where it's at and Johnson is a keeper.

Reply #352512 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson , in the Advertiser and/or on here -
( vide 36ers v Crocodiles. Camel 31 ) 07Feb2012 -
Said he'd be leaving his decision 'til after this season finishes , whether that be here or somewhere else , see what his agent comes up with , he told us.

Reply #352514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be back. He has a chance to be the Franchise player here and after this season will likely get paid like one. Ballinger will have to take a pay cut if he wants to keep his career going so there should be plenty of cash to keep DJ happy.

Reply #352540 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Clarke sounded confident DJ would be here.
Not as confident he'd be coaching.
I disremember who votes for MVP. Weigh will poll well, if Clarke.
Maher is pretty good here.
Lets hope Voldemort, 'no one sees my face and lives',is not involved , spoiling hoopssa. E.G. a list of Woollacott Medalists was removed.
Aw , the phones tapped anyway . Maggie says that many say , they must bust in early May , orders from the D.A.

Reply #352631 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Not surprised. He's well in his right to find the best deal he can get.
I think if we swap Ballinger and Johnson's contracts next year, we should be able to keep them.
I have no problem with the 4 bigs we have. Simpson is quality. Fitness won't be an issue when Ballinger returns. DJ is a star and he works well with Helliwell as the defensive big. Ballinger will give us more offense and is a real threat when at his best. Was our best player for years, shouldn't be judged on this season. Definitely needs to take a pay cut though if we are to compete.
Don't think this list is too far away. With a new coach and Ballinger and Crosswell back and maybe a more experienced point guard (Crosswell would help in that area) to help or replace Warren.
DJ and Simpson are the most important to re-sign in the off season. Oh, and our New coach.

Don't think we need to do a rebuild like we do every year. The successful teams all have a core group who they have built around over a number of years. For us that is DJ, Weigh, Simpson and Creek primarily.

Reply #352645 | Report this post

Bev  
Years ago

I've heard there will be an offer from the Blaze.
Hope he talks to a few of this year's squad members. It isn't ALL about the dollars.

Reply #352744 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

onair@fiveaa , he was disappointed with lack of wins.
Clearly , playing in a winning team is his main desire.

Reply #353088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it's not, putting up numbers is all he cares about. If he gace two hoots about winning he'd at least pretend to play defence.

Reply #353108 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

MVP for a bottom team or Blaze. Something to think on.
( I went out with SouthPanthers the best team in Australia , at the time , maybe shouldda gone with the bottom team.)

Reply #353152 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

DJ is one player we MUST retain, future captain IMO

Reply #353529 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754