Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Batum dunks off own head; basket disallowed

Loved this: Trailblazer Nicolas Batum dunks the ball off his own head, but because it didn't clear the bottom of the net, it gets waived off for 'offensive goaltending'.

(via NBC Sports)

Topic #27982 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

What a stupid call by the refs

Reply #357142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous. NBA refs are terrible.

Reply #357146 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Refs are terrible? Bit of a knee-jerk reaction there. If that's the rule in the NBA (and apparently it is), they called it correctly.

In Europe, apparently the ball just has to clear the ring.

Quick spot of ref-bashing, eh?

Reply #357157 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Maybe 'the rule is terrible' is more like it? The rule is pretty perplexing to say the least

Reply #357161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is just stupid, terrible rule.

Reply #357164 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

You know what they* say, Isaac: haters gonna ... get on Hoops and complain about the things they hate. :)

*they = me.

Reply #357165 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

'Refs are terrible' was actually me, just forgot to put my name in. It was a bit tongue in cheek.

Reply #357166 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Bloody stupid call from the Refs.
I don't agree with the call. Count the basket.

Reply #357170 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

The following is from the NBA and refers to goaltending. I think this is why the basket was disallowed, but, IMO it is a bit vague?

Goaltending:
When a player shoots the ball, a defender may not touch the ball after it reaches its highest point. If so, the shot shall be ruled successful. A defender also can not touch a shot after it has hit the backboard and is going towards the rim, whether it is going up or down. Once the ball is on or directly above the rim, no player can touch the ball. If an offensive player is guilty in any of the above circumstances, basket interference shall be ruled and no points can be scored. If it is a defender, two or three points shall be scored depending on the type of field goal attempted.

Reply #357171 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Isaac, by the way I agree with your comment about ref bashing. Aussie basketball fans don't need a lot of encouragement to come out and bash referees. In this particular case people seem to forget that the NBA have their own rules. Whether we like it or not they play by their own rules which are not always consistent with FIBA. The NBA strongly endorses it's referees and I suspect if the call had not been made then the refs would have been reprimanded for ignoring what to them is a basic rule.

Reply #357172 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I've never understood the need for the NBA's offensive goaltending rule. The object of the game is to get the ball into the basket.

Reply #357173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seen it before where it bounces off the players head and back out (Maybe Jim Jackson of the Mavs?), but that dropped back through. Should have counted IMO.

Reply #357192 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

There's a rule and then there is the spirit of the rule. The call is correct by the rule, but wrong by the spirit of it. The basket should have counted. Ignore the rule, the intent of it is not to stop this from happening. The traveling rule is ignored 500 times every game for Christ's sake!

And to answer an earlier question on why the NBA has an offensive goal tending rule: Wilt Chamberlain.

Reply #357207 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754