joshuapending
Years ago

Diamon Simpson called up to NBA

Just in case it has not been mention Diamon Simpson got called up to the Rockets and has his first game tomorrow. I guess on the bench but still thats a nice little reward for his effort.

Topic #28052 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Years ago

He's not NBA material, sorry to say. Too light and not enough hops, for starters.

Reply #357979 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He has to be NBA material to some extent or they wouldn't bother picking him up at all. Well done to him. How many other imports have gone straight from a season here to a contract like that? Not many in recent times.

Reply #357980 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Agreed! Well done Diamon!

Reply #357981 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

He was always angling for an NBA stint, so congrats to the guy. The Rockets don't muck around when it comes to signing players so I'm sure they see some NBA qualities in him.

Reply #357985 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Good team for him, they'll appreciate his talents. Hope he gets to work on some moves with McHale. I think his size and lack of a jumper will be a problem in the NBA but wish him nothing but the best.

Reply #357988 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Is there any articles anywhere confirming this at all? Thanks in advance

Reply #357989 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Someone has beaten me to this post. There is truth to it as Diamon himself has confirmed it through Twitter.

Diamon went through a 5-hour physical overnight and making a debut tonight or tomorrow.

Damn good effort from the man. Playing a season here and an NBA contract straight after.

I'm going to search for articles to confirm it.

Reply #357990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Rockets are the perfect team for him, they love high energy low usage players which is Simpson all over. They made something out of Chuck Hayes, who is of a similar mould.

Reply #357994 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with Forcey, but really hope he proves us wrong! Good luck to him.

Remember the poster on here recently who said NBA teams dont look at the NBL?

Reply #357996 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I hope the NBA2k12 Roster is updated to feature Diamon so I can play as the Rockets to give him a run or play as my Knicks Vs Rockets.

Reply #358007 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Man he will make as much in that 10 day contract as he did the whole time he was a 6er! Great for him, any exposure at that level is good. Considering Houston is in the playoff hunt, he may struggle for any decent minutes at all, but in the 3-4 he MAY get, he really need to do what he does, go all out! Good luck Diamon.

Reply #358010 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Hopefully he goes well so some of the others can get looks too.

Heard on the news last night Abercrombie is on track to head over in the offseason...

Reply #358011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And who's working at the Rockets? Dave Patrick.
And where dd Dave Patrick work? St. Mary's.
And where did Diamon go to College? St. Mary's.

Reply #358017 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Patty Mills.

Reply #358022 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

And what Coach under used him and didnt resign him..ohh how shit for us it was Marty the still coaching Clark.
Clark is a talent scouts dream..if your work for another team that is.

Reply #358030 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Skud,

Maybe Diamon wouldn't sign here because he was wanting to test the waters in the NBA?

But of course you would much rather blame Marty and the coaching staff, because you have no idea on how things actually work.

Reply #358035 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Well said Bizzy and thanks for posting the truth!

An optimist would have said that Marty helped get his game back on track to allow him to be considered for a contract in the NBA or that this may be a positive step for signing future imports and Adelaide & the NBL may not be such a bad stepping stone to reach the NBA.

Reply #358040 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Once Johnson was re-signed I think that was the end for Simpson in Adelaide. Those two just dont work alongside one another defensively in the NBL.

Reply #358043 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I thought Simpson was awesome on the boards and awesome defensively, and was an ideal foil for Johnson's weaker skill areas.

Unfortunately when Johnson and Simpson were both on the floor together, Diamon would often have to guard the opposing centre but to me that only highlighted his versatility, and his team ethos.

Reply #358051 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Skud - didn't Marty recruit Simpson in the first place?

Reply #358057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have worked it out
Skud is actually S. Ninnis
EC is Ninnis's mother

Reply #358060 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Congrats to Diamon hope he goes well BUT with his shocking Free Throw technique he will struggle to et a perm gig IMO. Only the likes of Shaq and to a lesser extent Howard can be forgiven for this and still get gigs. But hey hope I am proven wrong. All the best to him

Reply #358075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 day contract however happened will be it. He is not even close.

Reply #358077 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"But of course you would much rather blame Marty and the coaching staff, because you have no idea on how things actually work."

Yes I would much rather blame the coach who came out publicly stating they would be looking for 2 new imports. You must have forgotten that when you were telling everyone you know how everything works.

Reply #358083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crawl back in your hole SKUD no one is interested in what you and EC have to say

Reply #358084 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think Simpson getting a gig for Houston is really relevant on whether the 36ers should have re-signed him.

Reply #358086 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

oops, cut off short. We already know he is a good player, it's whether he is the right fit for the team.

Reply #358088 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Some would say Marty has fixed up his foul shots. He hit a lot more later in the season than when he first started for us.

Reply #358089 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Crawl back in your hole SKUD no one is interested in what you and EC have to say

have worked it out
Skud is actually S. Ninnis
EC is Ninnis's mother

Is this the same Anonymous? If so, you would have to be the most stupid and ignorant person that walks this earth. Not only are you so far from the truth, you have absolutely no evidence to back up what you say. Stop talking from your backside just for the sake of having something to say.

Reply #358092 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

BTW, good luck to Diamon. He did a great job for the 36ers and now deserves his chance at making it in the NBA.

Reply #358093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done my friend

Reply #358095 | Report this post

seen it all  
Years ago

Just one more feather in the cap of Australia's BEST development coach, mark my words, its all due to the superlative coaching work that was put into Daimon here in Adelaide.

He will go on to even bigger and better things after his stint here with the current wonderful Adelaide coaching staff - and I'm certain that he will simply be one of many more players that we will be able to say the same of in the future.

Reply #358098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now if only Clarke could develop the Adelaide 36ers into a winning team. Great if he is such a great individual coach, perhaps he should start up his own basketball school...

Reply #358107 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Australia's best development coach except he hasn't developed anyone of note...

Please, giving credit to Marty Clarke for this is either a joke or misguided input from someone close to him.

Congrats to Simpson. Not sure how he managed to pull this contract but congrats either way.

Reply #358112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no you are right

Bogut
Ingles
Newley
Mills
Delly
Mitch
Jawai

are all crap ball players

Reply #358115 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Adelaide 36er signs with Rockets .
Well done to him and a good reference for us.
Seems he's not expecting key minutes , like here.

Reply #358128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skud, did it ever occur to you that maybe Simpson told Marty that he wouldnt be interested in returning because he wanted to test the NBA waters or do you have that much hatred towards Clarke that you're just not open to things ppotentially not being his fault?

Reply #358162 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Diamon has written and apologised that he read his schedule wrong.

Debut is set for Friday, which will be Saturday here. Few more days to wait.

Reply #358173 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Newley was nothing but a skinny athlete with few basketball skills before Stacker and Rillie developed him, as one example.

I'd be very cautious about giving Clarke much credit for the careers of most/all of the players on that list, anonymous...

Reply #358188 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Newley was pretty capable before he signed in the NBL. 16 PPG, ROTY, 6th Man, All-Star MVP, etc. Stacker gave him the chances for sure, but I don't think you can put all of it on him.

Reply #358203 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Diamon officially a Rocket now. All confirmed this morning.

Reply #358271 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't listed on the box score today. Hope he gets a chance soon.

Reply #358447 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

For those saying Clark fixed his freethrow's. If you look at his stats during college he wasnt actually that bad. I think it was more Diamon regaining his confidence than anything else.

I cant wait to see him posting up in the NBA and his slow style working its magic, was as much fun watching him as it used to be watching Paul Rees, goodluck to the big fella.

Also shows how much desperation and "want for the ball" comes into being successful, something I was hoping DJ would learn from Simpson.

Reply #358500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754