Anonymous
Years ago

Tigers release Tragardh & Dillon

The Melbourne Tigers confirm that players Daniel Dillon and Cameron Tragardh have been released from their playing contract for the upcoming 2012/13 iiNet NBL Championship Season.

Melbourne Tigers Director of Basketball Chris Anstey confirmed that Dillon & Tragardh's agent approached the club seeking a release, which the club has approved.

http://www.nbl.com.au/tigers/news/article/2012/april/daniel-dillon-cameron-tragardh-part-ways-with-melbourne-tigers/

Topic #28183 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Dillon wouldn't be a bad fit at the Breakers with Jackson leaving.

Reply #359989 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

oh dear.....trev's in for a surprise when he gets back from hol's.....Anstey's first play at getting gleeson to walk !

Reply #359993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson won't care at all about Cam...but will be gutted about Daniel. What a fiasco. I feel for any team and teammates that get stuck with Cam.

Reply #359998 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Watching the grand final, the Tigers have a hell of alot of work to do to get anywhere near these teams.

Reply #360004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It takes a he'll of a lot more than just talent on the floor to win a ring. It takes an incredible amount of organization and structure in the back office too, which the Tigers certainly don't have.

Reply #360007 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seamus really left the club holding a grenade.

Reply #360013 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Sounds like Dillon to Sixers if rumors are true, not sure if it's what we need but would be upgrade on Herbert no doubt.

Reply #360015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be happy to get Dillon, dont really want Trigger.

Reply #360019 | Report this post

anonamouse  
Years ago

Hinder to Tigers. SSShhhh it's a secret.

Reply #360020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Sixers were to get Dillon what does that mean for the team? No re-signing Bartlett, no Ng or no Herbert? Maybe even two of them get the chop. Will be interesting to see which direction Sixers management go.

Reply #360021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cameron Tragardh and Daniel Dillon really arnt that good, maybe that's why they were released?

Reply #360029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^
Aren't

Reply #360030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't care to get either player. Tragardh is so weak defensively and dillon is careless with the ball.

Reply #360031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They were released because they asked to be released. Tigers offered that to all players during the season.

Reply #360047 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Tragardh's offensive skills are outstanding. His rebounding and defense is poor, but one of the best offensive weapons in the league -- when he wants to be -- is going to be an asset on any team.

Regardless of the circumstances, Tragardh's transformation from offensive dynamite and MVP candidate to apathetic whinger after the Seamus fiasco makes you question his professionalism. Those ridiculous pseudo-tough-guy tattoos should have rung alarms bells. ;)

Reply #360048 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think someone young like Dillon would flourish under Lemmanis and the circle of veterans like Bruton, Boucher, Corletto and even Vukona.
He would certainly be an asset to the Sixers in moving forward if signed.

Reply #360052 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

And this is just the start - it sounds like many of them are looking to jump ship.

When you look at the chaos that the Tigers set-up became during the year, you really have to point the finger at the guys at the top. When so many things go wrong, it suggests really poor management at the highest levels.

Seamus did some damage, even if it was with the best of intentions as he saw it. However, he wasn't the only guy involved in running the club. Who were the others who seem to have avoided the blame and kept their jobs?

Reply #360053 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Trig will be in Adelaide next year...heard it hear first!

Reply #360055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was pretty much Seamus's way or the highway, so it is pretty much a new regime. The staff who have kept their jobs just did what Seamus told them. You could argue the new Chair and CEO were complicit in letting Seamus do his thing as they too were owners, but I think they deserve time to show they can do a good job their way.

Reply #360056 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher drops the bomb. Twin Tower frontline will throw some big challenges to opposition on defence. Where does this leave Ballinger, off the bench or off to tiger land.

Reply #360057 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I hinted at it 3 weeks ago that 6er's were active after a good big!!!

Expect Adelaide know more about Balls injury than we do...unless he plays for less than $60k he won't be back!

6er's will benefit from happenings at Melbourne as no one wants to play there...can't go into all of the reasons for this on a public forum but there is a lot more to with it than what it appears on the surface

Reply #360060 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

What's the deal with signings? Does the two week rule apply for everyone or because the Tigers have officially let Dillon and trigger go, can they sign elsewhere sooner?

Reply #360061 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

*insert gif of Corletto pissing himself laughing while rubbing his new ring*

Reply #360062 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

lets hope Ballinger does finish in melbourne along with Herbie? Then you can have Trigger and all his crap SOS needs its head read if they think trigger is the answer the guy respects no one hates fans.Will avoid people so he won't have to answer them.Trigger could not defend the basket with a tank and poor GJ will be second behind him,good way to destroy his confidence.

Reply #360064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher is Dillon the other player the 36ers have swooped on??

Is the kings player still on the cards?

Will be interesting to see who we end up with

So far we have

Johnson
Trigger (going with Tiger Watchers comment)
Weigh
Creek (not official but seems likely)
Crosswell

Possibly Dillon from rumours on other sites.

Looks like they are going for something like

C Johnson/?? Vanderjagt (cheap big)
PF Trigger/ ?? IMPORT (John Williamson mould sounds good or a Rossell Ellis hustle guy would also be good)

SF Weigh/Bartlett (Creek will play back up SF)

SG Creek/Dillon/Ng

PG IMPORT (Cedric Jackson would be ideal, or a similar style of player, Oriene Greene may be worth a look was solid enough for the Breakers a few years back, right style of player with NBL experience)/Crosswell

(named 11 possibly Ng or Bartlett will miss out or we wont sign the extra Aussie back up big)

If we get the imports correct could be a very solid team, but need some defensive bigs if we are going to run Johnson and Trigger, hopefully not on together too much.

Reply #360065 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Trigger to adelaide would be a nightmare for 6er fans. This is just a case of looking for quick fix, but this guy is not that good! Very selfish offensively and that about sums him up. We have DJ to force the issue, we need other guys that will play for each other.

Reply #360067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people think that adding 2 players from a team who struggled last year improves the team for next year. Dillon was very average and Tragardh's first part of the season was great (in terms of offence) and then it all went downhill. I would question his professionalism.

Reply #360068 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

God I hope that's not true Tiger Watcher...Marty is getting very desperate it seems...

Reply #360071 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

TW has been right before, and he was saying there were players available that we didn't expect to be available - well before we found out about the Tigers exodus - and it's fair to say we didn't expect Trigger/Dillon to be available.

Unless he's jumping the gun on the information he knows, we should probably start getting the welcome banners set up!

Reply #360072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not that bad. Bring in Williamson to add some toughness and assist with triggers poor d. Get a point gaurd that can DEFEND n PASS the pill. Offensively we will have the best 2 big guys in the league. People questioning his work ethic clearly have no idea.

Reply #360074 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Yeah, if you round out the frontline with someone like a Williamson as the import then the Trigger signing isnt all that bad. just like having Ballinger really with a little less range.

Our perimeter defense is what kills us, if that improves then so should our post defense.

If we have a really good scoring unit, we only need to be average defensively to notch up some wins.

Reply #360079 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think we could be looking at a line up of something like the following;

C - Johnson/Trigger
PF - Import (Williamson)/Trigger
SF - Weigh/Creek
SG - Dillon/Bartlett/Ng
PG - Import/Crosswell

Reply #360080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are still going on about this Williamson guy!? I mean he may have been the answer to everyone's dreams... BUT he now is coming off a recon or thereabouts do who he was is not who is anymore as an exodus do it all type. Be wery if all te eggs are thrown in that basket

Reply #360081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, I'd love to hear why you think this-
"Then you can have Trigger and all his crap SOS needs its head read if they think trigger is the answer the guy respects no one hates fans.Will avoid people so he won't have to answer them."

What makes you think he respects no one and hates fans?

I'm not going to weigh into which team he would be great or terrible at. It seems to me there are a lot of Trigger haters here. So many people are saying he is a hog, I'll say hes the opposite. He carried the Tigers last season. He was scoring over 16ppg and was the only Tiger shooting over 50% from the field. The main reason for the Tigers dismal results last season was too much perimeter shooting.

Talk me through this stat. The Tigers attempted more 3's than any other team in the NBL despite having the worst 3pt percentage in the league. That doesn't sound like a case for your post player hogging the ball. It says the opposite, if hes shooting at over 50% then let him shoot all game, the rest of the tigers are all around 40-45%.

Penny for your thoughts

Reply #360084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williamson had a meniscus clean out. Not a recon! He would b playing some type of ball somewhere right now.

Reply #360086 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

seen it first hand before and after games kids trying to get him to sign stuff it was a huge effort.ask him a question he would look at you as if to say wtf do you know.Homicide was the same.

Reply #360087 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

seen it first hand before and after games kids trying to get him to sign stuff it was a huge effort.ask him a question he would look at you as if to say wtf do you know.Homicide was the same.

Reply #360088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trigger simply isnt good looking enough to be rude to the general public, i mean that is a face only a mother could love!

Reply #360103 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

1. Aaron Bruce
2. Import or Newley
3. Stevie Weigh
4. Import maybe Williamson
5. Johnson

6. Trigger
7. Ng
8. Crosswell
9. Ballinger (cheap)
10. Daley

----------------------------

Reply #360105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trigger wouldnt come off the bench, and having Bruce as your main Point is dangerous. Too flash in the pan.

Reply #360106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say Creek will be there isntead of Ballinger, but other than that i dont mind your line up Bruce is one of the better PG's going around and put up as good if not better numbers than most import PGs before he got injured, i think only Jackson and Wilson were significantly better than Bruce.

Reply #360107 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Wasn't it suggested in a previous thread that a high level Aussie in Europe might be interested in coming back to 36ers, but only if they upgraded the talent on the rest of the team from last year so they could have a legitimate shot at winning the GF.

This may be the start of a grand plan to land a top end Aussie from Europe.

It could also be desperation, but either way any upgrade on last year needs to be considered a positive.

Reply #360110 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If other rumours are true, what about Grant as an import PF for the 6ers?

Would be great defensively to pair with DJ and possibly Trigger?

Reply #360111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could we grab Trigger, Dillon and Bruce

Going with a line up of

Bruce/Crosswell
IMPORT/Dillon/Ng
Weigh/Creek
Trigger/IMPORT
Johnson/ import big and Trigger back up C

Import Guard - a lot of options could be a combo guard ala Ubaka or a Franklin type or a scoring SG more in the Farley/Ere mould, or we could play Bruce at SG and get more of a pass first PG Cedric Jackson would be perfect, even Will Blalock from the crocs last year would be ok, as could contral a team/offense and played defense and seemed to be a good playmaker, but possibly better out there. However my first option would be a more defensive, long athletic guard in the mould of Mee or Dave Thomas, doesnt matter if they are PG or SG as Bruce could play either imo.

Import Big - id get a Verstalie PF/C like Williamson sounded to be ie in the mould of Chris Williams, or go for a high energy hustle/defensive type like a Galen Young, Rossell Ellis mould.

Reply #360113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm 95% sure that Trigger won't go to a team where he has to come off the bench as the 6th man. It also won't work in terms of player rating points. Tragardh is presently a 9, but will more than likely be reclassified to a 10 prior to next season. No club is going to have a 10 pointer coming off the bench.

I think a lot of Melbournes woes last season was a result of their imbalanced roster. Trigger and Dillon are both great players, but need to be surrounded by complimentary players. Melbourne didn't have a solid big and it seemed as though everyone was playing out of position trying to fill gaps.

Reply #360114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt the 36ers would seriously consider signing Trigger as the fans would revolt with he & DJ both on the roster.

I have no doubt Trigger or his people would be using the 36ers (they all do) to drive up his potential price at another club though.

Reply #360178 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

gee ild be more keen on an injury riddled burston and madgen then any of the other names being thrown around. at least they would fill a need and give us more balance. please burston, mads then 1 excellent point guard. hell no to bruce. has no self control and is reckless.

Reply #360179 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide's third wheel in the frontcourt now needs to be a defensive stud, presumably an import. Play Johnson and Tragardh 25mins and your import 30 minutes (even if brought off the bench) and you only need to play DJ and Trig 10mins together. That is doable and gives you a chance to keep oppo teams below 100.

After that use Weigh, Creek, Dillon, Crosswell and an import in the 1-3 spots in various combos, using Ng as an occasional impact player. The final spot can then go to a young big as a project, perhaps Tom Jervis?

Reply #360191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea with a good defensive import big, Trigger and Johnson could work, both start, but only play minimal minutes together, with the import guarding the best big for most of the game.

Also get Mark Davis down to training to beat up on DJ and Trig and teach them how to rebound and play defense and play with some toughness.

Reply #360208 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah trig and dj together would really require us to add a 6'10+ strong defender. as long as he is strong and mobile i dont care.

im not sure how adding a 6'6 guy ( even if he plays taller) is gonna help us.

how we improve ( well could we get worse?) depends almost entirely on the point guard they bring in.

Reply #360223 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Ok here's the latest inside goss....Trigger is as good as signed at Cairns, Dillon is apparantly going to Gold Coast and Jason Cadee to sign with Sydney...another point guard for Sydney!
I think Shane secretly wants a team full of guards!!!

Reply #360225 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Panther32 if Trigger is going to Cairns is there a chance we could get Ian Crosswhite to add some rebounding muscle and grab DeLeon as the point guard. I'm not the biggest Adris fan but his enthusiasm would become infectious with his teammates and the fans would love it.

Reply #360247 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Trigger to Cairns = Loughton is done IMO
They will also need to replace Dowdell who may be retiring too

Reply #360249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loughton returning to Cairns, Crsswhite is the one who is uncontracted.

Reply #360251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trigger to cairns is not a done deal. I think it's 50-50 between 36ers and cairns

Reply #360258 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i would love a dj crosswhite combo but i don't see crosswhite loving it...

Reply #360268 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So you heard it here first, some very big names about to be named at Melbourne.Some uninspired EURO players coming back.rumors have it not been paid full money.Go tigers back on top again bye bye trigger fyou and your stuck up ways. KARMA got to love it

Reply #360278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crossie back to the Kings.

Reply #360280 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Karma+Tigers=LMAO

Reply #360284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Tigers now have had thir karma after the years of cheating the cap and winning titles, will be very interesting to see if true re the Euro players, who would they get, Barlow?

Reply #360290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert and Barlow.

Reply #360298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'd want to put a couple of good imports around those two if true.

Reply #360303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Gleeson move the dead wood on.
Poor trainers, poor attitide. The Tigers lazy attitude needs to be moved on.
Let someone else enjoy Trigger and Dillon.

Reply #360307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You really are joking mate.. 'poor trainers, poor attitude'? I don't think either Tragardh or dillon would be fringe boomers players if they didn't work their butts off. The tigers need trigger and dillon more than the other way round. However u look at it Tragardh is arguably the best offensive player in the league, furthermore he lead the league in scoring for 3/4 of the season until a falling out Gleeson that tanked the whole tigers organization. U say he has a poor attitude, you try playing for a coach like Gleeson and an owner like mcpeak who single players out and cuss out the team. Good luck to the tigers I say.

Reply #360326 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

anon you must be great mates with trigger ask 2000 other members who will tell you the same thing the guy is a sook and very bad sportsman.Acts like the tigers only player yes mcpeake should have sacked his arse that way the rest of the players knew who was in charge .Any way god help who ever gets him if he doesn't get his way

Reply #360331 | Report this post

Emu  
Years ago

Tigers - LOL!

Reply #360334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately anon he pretty much was the tigers only player. Aside from the imports and dillon, who else was there? Nobody else is a regular contributor. When ur getting chewed out night after night by the owner and coach u can't blame the man for not signing autographs and doing photos after the game.

Reply #360348 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When someone says looking to sign someone who int getting paid in Europe my mind goes straight to Greece. Pana would be paying Maric surely, so next up is Baynes. I would be surprised if he came home after a strong season though, time to cash in on that good form.

Reply #360349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@anonymous360348....if Trigger was getting yelled at, it's because he wasn't pulling his weight, that's what bosses do if you're not performing.

Reply #360372 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

crosswhite to tigers ...

Reply #360374 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Trigger tweeted to Bogut on the weekend when asked if he was going to Adelaide, that he wasn't sure and that hopefully a decision will be made by Wednesday...

With the new Player Ratings Points coming out today, it will be interesting to see how things develop...

Reply #360404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anstey, while saying he had yet to talk to Gleeson since taking on the role, said the Tigers would be looking in Australia and internationally to fill their roster but had already crossed former star David Barlow from the list. 'David is very happy in Spain but if he was to come back any NBL club who didn't speak with him would be crazy,' Anstey said.

Anstey said imports Myron Allen and Ron Dorsey, who is under contract, had indicated they wanted to return but he said the club was reviewing its roster ahead of the free agency and would not make decisions on players until late May.
First sentence!

Reply #360412 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Tigers staff have told me nobody seems to know who is boss or what's going on down there as the owners are trying to shaft Gleeson by making his position untenable but he won't leave unless they pay him out which Slepoy and Co won't do.

Funnily enough when Seamus was in charge despite all his crap at least he made decisions and you knew who the boss was!

New owners have not a clue how to run it and won’t tip in the cash to clear Gleeson out, word is Anstey told the players he isn’t sure if him or Gleeson will coach as the owners haven’t shown any clear direction on the issue as they won’t pay Gleeson out.

Looks like this club is about to completely fall apart unless they get a CEO in who will actual tell people straight down the line who’s in/out and get the administration right otherwise it could end up a team of SEABL/BIG V players plus 2 imports!

Reply #360420 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

You would think the General Manager (Anstey) would be talking to the coach of the team before making changes.

Seems very strange.

Reply #360437 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Coach was away on holiday. It might be strange, but it might not either.

Reply #360442 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754