bog
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers Terrible New Logo

What on earth have the Melbourne Tigers done with that logo! That is by far the worst thing I have ever seen... Did they run that as a high school competition or something!??

As someone in the creative industry and a mad ball fan, I truly hope they wake up and realise that they have made a huge mistake with this latest design.

This is also an issue across the entire NBL, if they want people to get behind their clubs and purchase and proudly wear their designs, they have to realise that they can'y keep producing these average designs. I still haven't purchased a 36ers jersey or jumper yet, purely on this reason.

Topic #28367 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought it was a joke from a blogger when I first saw it.

Reply #363477 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Yep, its a stinker. Just when you thought the Tiger's logo's couldn't get any worse, they produce this rubbish.

Reply #363479 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It looks like something done by a kid.

Perhaps one of the owners kids?

Reply #363481 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

What do you expect when they are run by Dodo's!

Reply #363483 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Really, really bad logo. Arguably the worst sports team logo in the country right now, including semi-professional and amateur leagues!

Reply #363484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible, think they'd atleast have the right ball in the logo...

Reply #363488 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Reminds me of a CBA (China) logo.. I think it's good that they are trying to change it up. But maybe do something different.

Comp 1: Create 5 logos let the fans decide on the best one

or

Comp 2: Get fans to make their own, submit it to the Tigers HQ (Tigers have the right to modify for naming sponsors etc) & they pick the best one, winner gets 2 season tickets + jerseys etc

Reply #363489 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

what's wrong with it? it seems to be one friendly and easy going tiger? the type of colour wave that might just be appealing to a 5yo kid

Reply #363493 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Looks like it was drawn in microsoft paint by someone with no talent

Reply #363494 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

That's horrible!
Can someone post the old one so we can see the difference...

Surely this had to go through an approval process with the NBL?

Reply #363495 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think it is a great logo.....for the 1970's. What a joke!!!!

Reply #363501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hated wen I first saw it. Like absolutely hated it. But now I'm starting to like it. Have no idea how or why tho

Reply #363502 | Report this post

S21  
Years ago

Wow, I hope they didn't pay a graphic designer for this! The local junior clubs have better logos! This does not look like the logo of a professional sports team. Just terrible.

Reply #363504 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

They couldn't be serious.

Reply #363505 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

wow.. horrible

Reply #363508 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

It didn't make me leap in the air due its awesomeness but I didn't recoil in horror from it either. I doubt a logo could make me do or feel anything. It’s a logo.

Reply #363511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's clearly the off season.....

have a listen to yourselves...... complaining about a team's logo of all things....

I'd be more concerned about how good or bad a team was performing rather than who designed a logo....

the Tigers have BIG fish to fry right about now so a logo would be pretty low on their priorities...

my rant over........

roar....!!

Reply #363513 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Microsoft called and they want Arial back

Reply #363520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We're already complaining about all other things Tigers in other threads. ;)

Reply #363521 | Report this post

Anon,

Logos play a huge part of a teams identity, something fans can and should be proud to represent.

Compare the Tigers new logo to the last NBL team to launch a new one - Wollongong.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.152434681498946.39345.151106421631772&type=3

Not hard to see who placed importance of getting a modern look.

Reply #363525 | Report this post

bog  
Years ago

it's really more than just being about a bad logo. Not enough clubs in this competition are willing to portray themselves with a professional brand or 'team image'. A solid logo and team design reflects massively on the clubs greater image. It actually shows that they don't really care about their image at all.

Why do you think the NBA & NCAA does so well and people want to buy their gear! the NBL could do it too, and therefor generate greater merchandise sales and would create greater awareness of the league. I would happily buy team gear if it looked good.

Yes, you can argue that the NBA has stupid amounts of money to throw around and get good results, but it wouldn't be hard to hit up a top Australian designer and get a similar result. It just frustrates me that there seems to be no real pride in team identity. You get what you pay for...

Reply #363526 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Really, folks......!

So many tiger logos on the net, used by so many sports! And some look really cool, vicious, powerful, strong and dangerous.... Just like a.... Tiger!

This one looks like one of those soft toys you buy at the fair, rip the head off the body and stick it on a stick, maybe to be used at a carnical....?

Neckmenute, I thinks I may puke!

Reply #363535 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Carnival!

Reply #363536 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Well said Richard Jeffersons Plane and bog. I'm a graphic designer with over 10 years commercial experience, and this logo stinks!

It's worth the money investing in a proper marketing and branding campaign. A sign of a company that puts in a cheap effort is one that constantly needs to change it's look, which will cost more in the long run, not to mention nobody will buy its merchandise - so no money will be made from it. Not only does this logo suck, it will probably be scrapped in a couple of seasons anyway. I can't see this logo having a long lifetime, and I hope it gets revised before the season starts.

Apart from the poor font choice, pathetic tiger clipart image, and weak basketball image, it also has no brand recognition of past Tigers logos. Looks nothing like their old logos, hence no development, or reference to their past.

I'm a believer that a good logo should only be slightly modified if it needs to to keep with the times. History is important too. A lot of NBA teams are going back to their original logos as proof of this (Philadelphia, Golden State, Indiana etc...)

Reply #363538 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No, I don't think people make enough of a deal about things like this.

This is just the height of unprofessionalism.

It's not even a money thing, you could find a uni student studying graphic design to do it for free and it would be modern, world-class, and original.

This is garbage.

Then again, if you look a Dodo's tacky branding and market-presence it's not really a suprise...

Reply #363539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they could have had Tigger and then they could play like Pooh

Reply #363541 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't even need to use the NBA and their budgets to make a point - you could get decent results on a budget that wasn't unreasonable. Hell, views on no-spec work aside, you could use a crowdsourcing site and get better results; every underpaid, 19 year old Eastern European upcoming designer would jump at a chance to work on a sports team brand rather than yet another accountant.

Also, while you're continually paying to apply your brand, designing that initial logo/etc isn't something that needs to happen particularly often.

The 36ers logo is a bit emotionless (probably stems from "What is a 36er?!" [Yes, I do know, just making a point]), but at least you can see that it was designed by someone fairly competent.

Reply #363543 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Well said Wildcat Fan. That's what I've been saying about the Tigers all along. Go back to the logo from their most successful era, mid to late 90's, when they won their first two championships, and give us a modernised version of that logo. An modern look, with an ode to the success of the past. That would have been a much better way for a new ownership group to go.

Reply #363545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's because while everyone is talking about an ordinary logo, they're not talking about the problems with Gleeson?

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but I doubt they'll keep this logo.

Reply #363547 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

turrrrrible

Reply #363548 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Good point Anon 547, this could just be a decoy tactic to divert attention from the Gleeson issue. Though that could be too clever from the Tigers to think of that. If this logo is for real and not a joke, I really hope they go back to the drawing board - it makes their previous logo look like a masterpiece, and thats saying something!

Mick, your definitely correct, it reeks of unprofessionalism and things like logo design should be taken more seriously (especially a small time niche sport like the NBL). The NBL needs to be proud of its product. It doesn't need to be the AFL or NBA to gloss its image up - a decent logo can make a big difference in improving the perception of the league.

Reply #363549 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

This reminds me of when West Adelaide changed the Bearcat on it's logo in the 90's and the Bearcat looked like it had sat on something sharp and accidentally shit itself.

Reply #363551 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Can't believe u all hate it so much - OH i get it Ballinger is now a Tiger!! U lost your captain!!

Reply #363555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This club is getting more unprofessional in every way possible, as seasons go by

Reply #363557 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

LOL @ microsoft want Arial back

Reply #363558 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

So gay tigers
Let's Go SIXERS

Reply #363561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orbit, I'm a Melburnian and I think it's rubbish. As a lapsed NBL fan (Giants, Titans, then Giants again, then Dragons, now who the bloody hell cares what bunch of amateurs), I've come to expect amateur efforts from the league and some teams, and this is just another example. How you present your team is very important for fans, and this is a lame effort.

Reply #363562 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I must be the only person here who likes it for its retro simplicity. Although I'm sure a better logo could easily be produced.

Reply #363563 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Change is generally made for the better so why would you change to that? Can't see the point.

Reply #363566 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

http://cdn5.fotosearch.com/bthumb/TBZ/TBZ234/Tiger030.jpg

Angry face tiger much better and more to the point of representing aggression in your game. Hope the link works.

Reply #363568 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I like this one too.

http://cdn6.fotosearch.com/bthumb/TBZ/TBZ234/Tiger036.jpg

Reply #363569 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

They shoul go back to the one from the 90's
They should also go back to the 90 uniform as that looked great during heritage round when they played the sixers

Reply #363570 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

this is what a professional sports club in Australia produces?

Reply #363579 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Reply #363587 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Ha ha. Nice truck DJ! Where can I get one of those!

Reply #363589 | Report this post

Looking at those, they've never really had a eye catching logo.

I agree with the comment about bringing back the retro uniforms, they were instantly identifiable as Melbourne Tigers.

Reply #363590 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I think that would have been the smartest move from the new owners.

Bring back the retro uniforms, and bring back a retro, but modernised version of the first logo (on the truck above). As I said in an earlier post, make it about a fresh start with new ownership, but with an ode to the past successes and championships.

Reply #363591 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

And1 have to design the jerseys, teams submit their logos and wishes for design. Which is why you see a common design amongst all NBL jerseys. I'd love to see a retro Hawks, Crocs, Tigers or Wildcats jersey.

Reply #363600 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

The original logo (the one on the truck) is the best one they've had. Has a bit of Seattle Sonics about it with the city skyline and still incorporates a tiger (in the font) I'd like to see them bring a more modern version of that one.

Reply #363606 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

NBL Trucks for all teams in the early 90's I believe - ebay or http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuctionLots.aspx?AuctionId=57&DayNo=1&Section=1030&Start=80

I have a couple of them, there were also little cars/vans

As for the Logo believe that they were looking to introduce a basketball into the logo to try and get some recognition away from Richmond Tigers who have a pretty strong brand.

From memory the Tigers have NEVER had their logo feature predominately on their uniforms like other teams, they go with the TIGERS in a large font as far as I can remember and often Melbourne above in smaller font?
On that basis I don't mind any of the above logos except the newest one which is appalling.

As far as uniform they need to get back to the claw, scratch markings - so many other options in regards to tiger, tigers and red and yellow they could look at.

Reply #363613 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The retro jerseys were really fun. Not only fun, they were really unique, with some designs (like the Tigers with the yellow sashes) you wouldn't see anywhere else in the world.

DJ, the Tigers used the font and text style from that original (truck) logo on their uniforms, and when they switched from the sashes to the predominately red uniforms with the claw and scratches (mid 90's) they included the full logo on their shorts.

Reply #363619 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

DJ - by the way, how do you post photos in here?

Reply #363620 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Apparently the tigers have left north Melb and are now based at sandringham. New logo, new base and new coach??? Doesnt Anstey live down that way?

Reply #363645 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

These days all NBL uniforms are the same basic design. Just different colours and team/sponsor logos. Same applies for the WNBL. Just like all the websites are the same basic design.

Reply #363684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You dont base a side on where the possible new coach lives. Tigers have been practicing out of Sandy for years.

Reply #363704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #363719 | Report this post

Les  
Years ago

Gotta love bloggers who don't see the jokes. Pretty sure gazza was being tongue in cheek. I do ask though what's with shift in training venue? It seems the set up in north Melb was pretty sweet. Access to afl training facilities etc. maybe a cost issue?
Has the club made a statement on this change yet?

Reply #363726 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Yeah, Tigers have gotten the boot from Arden Street, and are now headed back down to Sandringham. They never should have left their great Boundary Road headquarters in North Melbourne. They've been nomads ever since. Started in Waverley, went down to Sandy, moved to Arden Street for a couple fo years, back down to Sandringham. Through in a few sessions at MSAC when they couldn't get their regular venue. It's not really what should be happening at the elite level.

Reply #363728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey great work new logo new training venue next tigers will be in the dodo' s coloures

Reply #363770 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Reminds me of the Bearcat we used to have on our 90's jackets that looked like it was crapping itself!!!

Reply #363875 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Phil, i think there is nothing wrong with simple designs for basketball. Take a look at the NBA, their singlets are classical, simple and not over the top with few colours and really identify teams individually.

Do you recall the Slingers (NBL), OMG what a horrible strip, no wonder no one liked them...

Here's an idea, Tigers go with a simple red strip with yellow trimming and a slight edge with a black then look at reverse colours for away games in a simple black with red and yellow trim or yellow with black and red trim!

Get rid of all the fancy stuff, they look like zebras on the court and it can be a headache watching them play...

Crocs could go similar to the Bucks, simple and classic with CROCS on the front, anyone think this would make it better to watch NBL games.....?

Reply #363881 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

I agree that it is one of the worst logos I have seen in a while. Looks like it belongs in the 1980s.

The crowd at 99designs would come up with a better logo.

Reply #364148 | Report this post

Clinton  
Years ago

Ok - as a designer I am appalled by the new logo. Really loved the last one... anyway enough talk and a little more action - this is what I came up with. Not quite perfected yet...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=462652143758677&set=a.323196751037551.84138.175467172477177&type=1&theater

What do you think?

Reply #372453 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754