lol
Years ago

Who will be the new Basketball Australia CEO?

In negotiation atm, who will it be?

A bball person? An outsider? I hope it is someone with a business background from rugby or afl.

What sort of money would the job command?

Topic #28453 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Gallop would be a walk up start, still would love to see Wayne Jackson talked out of his long walks on the beach.

Reply #365134 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

Is gallop the rugby bloke> He may be a bit too expensive?

Reply #365138 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Lol

Yes Gallop is the NRL Rugby League bloke.

Reply #365140 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Have heard only one name, but salary range you would expect between 300 - 450k, depending on candidate.

Gallop you would have expected was on 1m+.

Given that maybe a senior guy from one of the major national sports, a middle level commercial business person looking to get into sport, or perhaps an ex government type person from within sport.

Reply #365141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard McPeake is available?

Reply #365142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gallop was on $650k

Doesn't have the greatest popularity in Melb (a market you would want the CEO to have at least some form of public support)

Maybe Eugene Rocca might be looking for a new gig seeing as things at the Roos seems to have turned ugly.

Reply #365143 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

Arocca would be a good option, he increased kangaroos membership from 23000 to 33000 in his time there and eliminated debt/created assets/gained gov grants.

Get him in!

Reply #365145 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gallop was on around $650k. But I would steer clear of him.

Arocca - I'm not convinced either.

I'm not sure as to whom I would want at this stage...

Reply #365148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Jackson! His review put in the current structure of SA Basketball. And it is a joke!

Reply #365149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eugene Arocca would be a big mistake. The supposed "growth" he has increased at the Kangaroos is very minimal and it's taken quite a few years to develop it. In addition, it appears as though the Kanagas are on the brink (or at least are on the downward spiral) again and that they once again will be a club screaming out for more compensation from the AFL.

Gallop would be the obvious choice but there is no way that BA can afford him.

Reply #365150 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Bob Turner??!!

Reply #365153 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Cal Bruton?

Reply #365154 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Gallop seems burnt out, but a new challenge could be just what his looking for..

In saying that, is he even a fan of the game? I'd want someone in who loves the game & can bring the game/NBL into the present, embracing the digital age in every way.

Reply #365155 | Report this post

finals688  
Years ago

Get someone from Netball !! They are craping all over our game. They really know how to promote their sport and get mainstream media coverage and bums on seats.

Reply #365156 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think you'll find the chair will have a big say in who gets the position and it wont be another chump.Why the hell would the league financially guarantee to cover any losses the Kings made in the last couple of years????Maybe Larry could answer that....

Reply #365157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jackson was the one who hamstrung BSA with his structure that does not work and that they can't change. noooooooooooo not him.

Reply #365161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

netball is struggling like basketball is, making slow progress. dont see what gallop has to offer basketball, wasnt brilliant with commercial and tv deals. hard to know where to look.

Reply #365163 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

as much as people like to talk about netball struggling but at least their image is much more positive and given the perception it is thriving.

and no matter what netball is doing better than ever, whereas basketball is reaching all time low...

Reply #365168 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I don't think basketball is at a all time low.. It's actually a lot better off than it was from 2006 - 2008.

Reply #365169 | Report this post

The Medic  
Years ago

Chris Anstey?? Seems to be doing every other job.

Reply #365171 | Report this post

Years ago

finals 668 - yeah i am real sure a netball person is really going to know the ropes for our mens side of the game.

Reply #365175 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Mal Speed

Reply #365180 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

There are some bizarre names here. In order of stupidity, from most stupid to least stupid..(so far)

1. Cal Bruton

Daylight
More Daylight

2. Chris Anstey
3. McPeake
4. Bob Turner

13. Mal Speed
14. Wayne Jackson

21. Eugene Arroca

53. David Gallop

Reply #365186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have an ex coach in there, someone that knows the league and what needs to be changed

Reply #365193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson

Reply #365199 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Blatent Wildcat bias here but...

What about Andrew Vlahov? He might be busy with RV Sports, but I think he will be a more than suitable CEO. Not only is he a big profile ex-player that the media knows (especially in Perth, not sure about Sydney or Melbourne), but he has extensive corporate experience. He also managed to get a FTA TV deal for the Boomers games on Channel 9 through his sports company.

He turned the Wildcats around in the early 2000's as an owner, even though he was critisied for a lot of it, he was at the forefront of keeping the club afloat until Bendat and Marvin took over.

He also has a Stanford educated business degree, so im sure he knows his stuff from a business perspective, and knows how to be a CEO.

On the downside, he might not have enough experience to control an entire league, but just a thought...

Reply #365200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Wolf?

Reply #365201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Mescke

Reply #365203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Craig Thomson?

Reply #365204 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Wildcat fan, he's not running the league, he's running the sport

Reply #365206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ray Hunt..??

Andrew Gaze..??

And what about Steve Carfino.... he's out of a job isn't he?

Reply #365208 | Report this post

Wondering  
Years ago

But whoever it is needs the clout to make sweeping changes - pay some BIG $$$ - to get the 'business' back on track.

This Nan & Pop, do it for love style, is well out of date and is the reason why we are mired in mediocrity.

There is a marketable product out there but there is this continual view we are a second tier sport.

CRAP. Vlahov is someone who has the smarts and can unite people he is a great candidate.

Reply #365211 | Report this post

Bowtie  
Years ago

Vlahov does not unite people (unless you mean unite them against him)
and is Carfino out of a job?

Reply #365214 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Thanks HO,

With that in mind, would it be better if we had a CEO that just focused on the NBL, rather than BA which the NBL belongs to (i think)?

If basketball is united under one big umbrella with one person in charge, is that really the best way to go? It puts a lot of responsibility on one person to take care of the entire sport.

Reply #365222 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Vlahov is actually a good suggestion.

He definitely has the know how and education to fill the role & similar experience but on a smaller scale.

Not sure if he has the time or would even be interested in taking on the role though.

But if you are going for an ex-player/coach rather than a different sport or industry CEO he would definitely have to be up the top of the list IMO.

Reply #365238 | Report this post

Bowtie  
Years ago

As said to me today "as long as the board has all the owners on it, the tough decisions for the good of the league, will not be made". Is that true?
Is the board made up of financially
and one team-biased members?

BTW Vlahov didnot turn around the Cats. Under Stokes, they were going fine, with plenty of his money being put into it's coffers, but he wanted out. Luke and Andrew got a great deal but unfortunately Luke couldn't keep up paying all the extra bills that kept coming under AV's control. They blew a 2 year budget in one season, got a Championship, the fans had a ball, but paid dearly over the next few years, especially under Ellis who had no dollars to work with. What is an NBL Championship actually worth to a club?

Reply #365240 | Report this post

Jersey  
Years ago

All bad suggestions, go find a strong business leader, not a former player! God, too many former players running basketball....

Reply #365243 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Thats true Bowtie and I agree, he didnt turn around the Cats, but he did keep them from folding after the 2003 season IIRC, and thats commendable considering teams were dropping off at an alarming rate at that time.

He also did a great job getting interest in the team again in 2000 after years of stagnation - even if it did cost a fortune - good and bad I guess. But more recently, he's been very proactive with the Boomers and also his push into Asia.

As far as former players go - and the NBL often goes down that path, Vlahov would be a top choice IMO, though he may need a bit of help?

Reply #365245 | Report this post

titan 85  
Years ago

It would be very interesting to watch Vlahov in that role but could be dangerous,expensive and frustrating.
It's so different to anything he has done before. At this stage of his business career, it may not be the time to take it on. However it could also be very tempting as there is definitely something missing from our game and he must think he could be the missing link if he had a good budget to work with. His credentials could be considered impeccable.

Reply #365256 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

spadge or booga bring them back

Reply #365268 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bowtie. I do not believe there is a single club owner on the BA Board.

Pretty certain this is the current Board.

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=438

Reply #365276 | Report this post

Bowtie  
Years ago

Thanks for that info. Pleased to read that.

Reply #365277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you are thinking of the NBL commission Bowtie.

Reply #365286 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No to Vlahov, IMO.

Reply #365294 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I second Isaac's motion. The murmur is that LS was not respected by his staff and that BA HQ had very low morale, don't think Vlahov's style would help that.

Reply #365309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG

Reply #365334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal Speed and Bill Palmer were a terrible thing for the NBL in the past and they are mostly still responsible for the way the League is now.

Reply #365337 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

No idea if those two last anon's are the same person but it would explain a lot if they were.

JVG - go back to my previous list and you insert JVG either above or below Cal Bruton but ahead of daylight for the worst possible choice for BA CEO.

Bill Palmer built the league. Don't take away credit for a guy that took it from tin sheds to the Tennis Centre. As for making them responsible? Palmer has not been involved since the late 90's - Speed before then.

Reply #365347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, we all have our biases.

Let's face it, there is no perfect person for the role - it is probably way too broad.

How about if the basketball community and staffers actually provide some support, the board provides somes useful guidance and direction and we all get on with the job together - whoever the eventual appointee is.

Reply #365352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, JVG was meant tongue-in-cheek, guess I should've put a suitable emoticon.

Mal Speed is a genius and basketball will probably do a lot worse.

Reply #365353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about John O'Neill - he's had a crack at everything else.

Reply #365354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal Speed had one thing of interest to him, Mal Speed. Terrbile administrator with self interst the only thing he was interested in. He did a good job in cricket too.
Speed and Palmer were there for some time together, when the NBL was allowed to fall apart into the small rabble / competition it is today.

Reply #365362 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You can't just say they let the league become a rabble without acknowledging they built it first.

I don't know too much about Speed's role but Palmer took the league to FTA, he delivered big sponsorships through Mitsubishi, Coke, Uncle toby's etc and he had teams playing in big venues.

The league changed direction in 1998 when it brought Rymarz in over Palmer, so I am not sure how you blame Palmer for the league being the "rabble" you say it is now.

Palmer and Speed were together for some time but Speed left as chairman before palmer was displaced as CEO.

Speed was extremely well regarded for his time at Cricket Australia btw, which won him the ICC gig.

Reply #365364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the dcline started before 98, but agreed you cant bag Speed and Palmer without equally crediting them.

Reply #365373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Brian Waldron.....

Good with numbers!

Reply #365388 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

After this week, I think I'll give Andrew Vlahov my vote.

Reply #366366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Justin Milne

Reply #366656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754