so North/South ?

Cairns, Townsville, Gold Coast, Sydney, Wollongong
v
Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, NZ
?

Topic #28504 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

Yeah, I agree. North v South just like the old days!

Perth is actually above Sydney (technically), so I would go;

North - Cairns, Townsville, Gold Coast, Perth
South - Sydney, Wollongong, Adelaide, New Zealand, Melbourne

Reply #365969 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I too think North v South.

Although Perth is further north than Sydney, I would still put Sydney & the Gong on the North team.

Otherwise, if a 2nd Melbourne team comes in next year as expected, it would be 6 teams onto 4.

Reply #365971 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Other option could be..

Capital cities vs Regional cities.

Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth v Cairns, Townsville, Woolongong, Gold Coast and NZ.

Reply #365972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the idea, but Im not too sure Auckland would take kindly to being called a regional city!

Reply #365975 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

City Vs Country?

Reply #365976 | Report this post

Flash  
Years ago

I voted Nth v Sth as well, but was disappointed that they didn't provide explanations as to the what the formats would look like.

Whatever they decide I think the most important thing is fan voting for the starting 5 of each team. Just like the NBA.

Got to get people involved.

Reply #365977 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

I still think it should be interactive and have fans vote for captains, then basically do a schoolyard pick.

Add some restrictions (1 player from each team, max number of imports per team, etc), this way it makes it a bit more competitive with players feeling like they may have been snubbed, slipped to low or matching up against teammates etc.

Reply #365978 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - Pretty sure they aren't a capital city of Australia playing in the 'ANBL', so they can deal with it!

Reply #365979 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

TBH, North v South sounds stupid.

6 teams are on similar latitudes, and 3 are north of this.

Aust vs Internationals is not as ambiguous, and easily defined.
The only problem with this is that they're may not be enough Boomers talent to form a really good Aust side as really good players are in Europe.

East v Work, won't work. Will be it Perth vs Rest??

I reckon maybe an NBL all-star team vs an asian league all star team.

Could go one year over in Asia, one year here etc. Good revenue maybe

Reply #365996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't the ppl pick the top 20? Split into 2 teams via a lottery? N v S, W v E it don't work. Just pik the top 20, as well as the 2 coaches. Most voted get the starting spot! Have every 1 in groups so u got the p/g, off gurds ect

Reply #366001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't the ppl pick the top 20? Split into 2 teams via a lottery? N v S, W v E it don't work. Just pik the top 20, as well as the 2 coaches. Most voted get the starting spot! Have every 1 in groups so u got the p/g, off gurds ect

Reply #366003 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

^ I like that idea.

Maybe get two captains, and they get to chose who they want to play in their team

And go at it

Reply #366004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats wrong with aus vs imports? 18 imports in the league surely with the few duds that there are every year they can sport a decient team

Reply #366029 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

State of Origin Tournament? SA, Vic, NSW, QLD, WA, NZ all play off over 4 days, and then a grandfinal.
Eg.

Pools:
A: SA, WA, NZ
B: QLD, NSW, VIC

Round 1:
Pool A (SA vs WA)
Pool B (QLD vs NSW)

Round 2:
Pool A (NZ vs SA)
Pool B (VIC vs QLD)

Round 3:
Pool A (WA vs NZ)
Pool B (NSW vs VIC)

Final:
Top Pool B vs Top Pool A

Could do this over a weekend, Thursday till Sunday during the middle of the season or even as an offseason event.

The weekend rotates cities each season like the all star game would.

Reply #366041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to like the old temporary Aus vs rest of the world format. It gives the fans some sort of reason to get involved as North/South formats dont mean anything to anyone.

Reply #366044 | Report this post

Missed It  
Years ago

@BALLER#3 - Love the State of Origin idea.

As far as an All Star format goes, North vs South seems to be the best split.

Reply #366166 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The main reason (perhaps the only one) people will want to go and see a game like this is for the show!

Just like the All Star game they hold in the USA, we need to put on a shw, that means less emphasis on defense and more about the big dunks and athleticism.

Let's face it, if we go down this track we need to forget N v S, E v W etc...

It must be eye catching and exciting, so it must include imports and the very best in this country, whether it is directly them against us or two captains picking team is not the issue, the issue is how do we put on the best SHOW!

Reply #366176 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Voting is open on the NBL website. I think North vs South would be best.

Reply #366339 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I completely disagree, Bear.

No NBA fans really care about the all star game. I might tune in once every few years.

Compare that to something like the NRL's State of Origin and it's no contest: Origin is the best in the business going hard at each other for three games, and its the pinnacle of the sport.

The NBA all star game is a joke.

Reply #366350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is one of the highest rating games of the year with 5-6% of the audience.

Reply #366354 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754