MW
Years ago

Why did the Melbourne Tigers change their logo?

I know this has been discussed, but at the Boomers game tonight their logo is really starting to piss me off.

Does anyone know why the logo change? Does it have some political reason behind it? i.e. they no longer own the BigV teams so neither do they own the logo anymore?

I know Tigers juniors also have different set of logo due to that reason. there are also whispers that Tigers juniors maybe forced to change name as legally they are not allowed to be called Melbourne Tigers?

Topic #28588 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Google around news sites - there are quotes from the owners that explain why they wanted a change.

Reply #367584 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Its a shocker!!!

Reply #367615 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

i cant belive when people ask a genuine question on this Basketball Forum they are pointed in the direction of Google. Of course anything can be googled but isnt this type of questions and discussion the reason people come to these types of forums???

my understanding is that "isacc" operates this site so why are you trying to get people to leave it to source their information instead of assisting to provide it here or continue to generate this type of conversation and topic?

Reply #367617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was posting from my phone which meant that it would be difficult to track down the article for myself and then write in HTML to activate a link. I couldn't remember the quotes from the Tigers owner to give more info than say it was out there on a news site. Figured that until someone else provided better info (which no one's done at this point) at least a point in the right direction would give MW an initial direction to research for themselves if they didn't want to wait for someone else.

Further, there's already a topic about the Melbourne logo which, as MW says, they're aware of.

At no point did I suggest that the other points shouldn't be discussed, just suggested that MW could find the owners' reasoning in a news article. I don't mind people leaving the site if they return - the internet is about linking and in this case if the information was from elsewhere, they deserve the link and traffic.

---

Hoop Diary is the news source I was thinking of - second top result on Google for "slepoy tigers logo" -

PH: The new Melbourne Tigers logo has been released recently, talk us through some of the changes. Does this mean there will be a new uniform look for the upcoming season?
MS: The logo signifies the new start and not much more than that... when one revamps everything, one feels a necessity for a more modern, new identity. As we do more and more things in line, as we change our style of management, the change of logo is simply symbolic and to me it has no more significance than a new start..
Full article

Reply #367624 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Actually, I didn't realise an interview with the owners discussing the logo existed. After reading what Isaac posted, I googled and quite easily found the HoopsDiary link.

Reply #367628 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The New Tigers Jersey

Reply #367649 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Looks like they have also changes from a red jersey to yellow.

Reply #367650 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Without knowing for sure, I'd say that will be their away jersey. No way the Tigers won't play in red.

Reply #367653 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That uniform looks good. I like the simplicity.

Reply #367655 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Vart - According to reports I've read, that is their home Jersey. All away Jerseys must be white as per NBL rules.

Reply #367661 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Wow! Ok Skip, I'll take your word on that one. First time in club history that won't play in red. That's a massive change!

Reply #367665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More uniforms would be a win for the clubs too as they'd have more jersey styles to sell

Reply #367671 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I like that jersey!

Reply #367708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't the NBL have uniforms back to front.

As it is right now when you go to an NBL game you see the Sixers in blue and the away team in white.

Every game!

Why wouldn't the home team be light and the away team dark, meaning that every week you had a point of differenc for the various visiting teams.

Right now every week its sixers v that white team.

Reply #367710 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

"Why did the Melbourne Tigers change their logo?"

Short answer...because they are idiots :P

Reply #367711 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon, you are 100% right. They'd be better going the NBA route and having white at home and colours on the road, just so you're looking at something different week to week. Throw in the odd reversal (home colours away white) or even heaven forbid, colours v colours every now and then. This 'NBL rule' seems a bit absurd to me.

Reply #367712 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

How long has the white away uniform rule been in place? I like that home teams are given the freedom to have coloured uniforms, but is it necessary for white to be the only alternative for the away team?

Reply #367715 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the NBA has it back to front. The home fans should be able to identify with the home team's colours, not a generic uniform. Perth fans creating a see of red and then facing Wollongong who are wearing red doesnt really make sense!

Reply #367717 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

rjd, the white away uniform rule started last year. It's not really necessary. I don't see any reason why teams can't wear their predominant uniform (say purple for the Kings) every game, unless it clashes with another team when they go on the road (say Wollongong playing Perth).

Reply #367718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely each team could have light and dark options for managing clashes, where no secondary option can cause trouble for another team's primary option? Home team always wears their primary colour and then only wear their alternative if necessary on the road.

e.g., Breakers wear blue normally unless against say Blaze and 36ers in which case they wear black or white. Cats wear red at home and in Melbourne, but an alternative in Wollongong, etc.

Or are they looking for maximum difference (e.g., no red vs blue)?

Reply #367725 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Red jersey looks way better

Reply #367732 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

The crappiness of the Tigers logo has been discussed before, but really, the owner didnt exactly give a good enough reason for the change. On that HoopsDiary website he says "a new start and nothing else". Couldnt he have spun a better line to use or be more convincing of needing to change - especially if its a change for the worse?

The uniform however looks quite good. At least they've simplified that with some effect.

Reply #367737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jersey Smersey..... who is the girl with the stick??

Reply #367744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:24 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754