NBL Fan
Years ago

GC Blaze prices; plus players leaving?

I am a Gold Coast Blaze fan and I have to say even though they were saved from liquidation I still think they won't be safe for long. I just looked at their Gold membership prices and they are very expensive, the second most expensive in the league. A Gold adult is $600. The most expensive is Woolongong their price is $800. Please leave your thoughts on the Blaze.

Topic #28626 | Report this topic

bowtie  
Years ago

7 members of Blaze staff were retrenched today (including 4 players) according to the GC news. This is done prior to the meeting with the new investor. I hope there are no package deals/pay outs, however small, whilst still none to Joyce.

Reply #368234 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Hard to say I guess it depends on what your getting for Gold tickets. Is that their highest level ticket? Gold tickets in Adelaide can have you sitting twenty rows back easily

Reply #368238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@danielmeers: "Spoke to blaze ownership group tonight. They maintain investor deal, worth more than $10m still on track. Some players likely to quit though"

Reply #368246 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yeah I think we may be a bit ahead of ourselves worrying about ticket prices

Few things about to happen .....

Reply #368249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Gibson a player wanting to quit?

if so Marty Clarke i hope you are in his ear during the boomers about getting him into a 36ers singlet.

Reply #368253 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Gibson would have to be one - Adelaide, Crocs and Tigers would be salivating for an easy kill.

Worthington would also be hotly pursued by anyone with $$/points left - but he may also have an option to go to Europe while his family is still young for a few years. I mean Europe has no $$$ issues do they ?

The Kiss of Death of Gibbo/Wortho strikes again ?

Reply #368255 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hate to pick a carcass, but who've they got who'd be worth pursuing besides Gibson and Worthington? Petrie? Anyone else? Nevill and Dillon?

Bowtie/Statman, are these players leaving or being cut? Got any more details?

Reply #368256 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Contracted players
Worthington
Gibson
Goulding
Petrie

Un-officially, Daniel Dillon.

Reply #368259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldnt bother with any of them, all were good players at various times. But really what has Worthington and especially Gibson done lately...

Reply #368260 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Would people be happy with a team of

Cadee
Gibson
Worthington
DJ
Schensch

Crosswell
Creek
Weigh
Daly
Cheap big

Points arent a problem nor would cap be

Strong at every spot and gives a core group of 8 to rotate through

Reply #368263 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I've spoken to one of the "contracted" players. He was told today that he is effectively a free agent. Looks like the team is going under.

Deadline for the team is COB Monday.

Reply #368265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know who the employee is?

http://anzballaz.com/former-blaze-employee-speaks-out/

Reply #368266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF,

I'd take Wortho & Gibbo over two imports.

That team would have a very good shot at winning a couple of championships.

Reply #368267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But swap out Daly for Ng though.

Reply #368268 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers need a PG, I'd be real happy with Gibson as opposed to an Import PG, no surprises

Reply #368271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty obvious who the employee is - pity ANZ copped out by making it anonymous though

As for coming back only if he got a pay rise - hahaha

Wortho/anstey have been waiting for this - funny how on social media it's all doom and gloom for the Worthingtons but in reality things are falling into place nicely

Reply #368272 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Agree re Worthington.
The Tigers' spot is being held open? Is Mrs Wortho packing, home on the Coast.

Reply #368274 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

People mentioned Gibbo/Wortho as hacks...you got to be kiddy they are both current Boomers and in the best 10 "Aussie" players in the NBL.

You might see both Gibbo/Wortho in Melb...shhhh!

Reply #368276 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Not enough points left for them both to Melbourne but anything's possible.

Reply #368277 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Tigers have been poised for this. The old saying 'good things come to those who wait'.

Let's just hope this can get sorted on the GC, no matter who they have on the team I just hope they have a team. Losing a couple of bigger names might force them to spend a bit more sustainaby, at least for one season!

Given it has taken this long and it is now down to such a short period it has hard not to be pessimistic though.

Reply #368278 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

is luke nevill signing with the blaze?

would be a good signing for them

Reply #368279 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, given this comment in the article

"THE Gold Coast Blaze's marquee Olympic pair Mark Worthington and Adam Gibson are poised to chase foreign deals"

does that mean Melbourne has stolen NZ's mantle as the Europe of the south?

Reply #368281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would definitley go after Gibbo & Worthington. However, if they are headed to the Tigers as indicated I wouldnt mind if the Sixers went after Petrie as their 3rd big behind Shcensch and DJ and perhaps Dillon as a back up SG behind an import but that would all depend on whether we snagged Wortho as if you got him you would have Creek playing back up mins in the SG role.

Reply #368282 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Petrie is one of the most underrated guys in the league, and was the sole light for GC in the playoffs last year. I'd love him on my team.

Reply #368284 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Crocs could also make a run at Gibson

Reply #368285 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If the Tigers were to sign Worthington, wouldnt that make them a little SF/PF happy and very light on at C & SG....would be a very unbalanced team once again? I can only assume they will play Dorsey as a SG and their squad so far would look like this;

C - Burston
PF - Ballinger/Walker
SF - Rush/Greer
SG - Dorsey/Lewis
PG - Tomlinson

To balance out their current signings I think they need to ink deals with a PG and back up Center.

Reply #368287 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, if they could afford both, they'd start Gibson at PG, Wortho at PF and slide Ballinger to C (with Burston backing him up). Not a huge issue, but I'd swap Greer with Walker in your little depth chart.

Gibson might not always be likeable, but the guy was spoken of as an MVP threat at times.

I would have Petrie in Adelaide for sure, though it could push Weigh to irrelevance quickly.

Reply #368290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I spose the tigers will run Ballinger/Burston through C if they get Wortho, i agree looks quite umbalanced, but i guess if they want Wortho, they either have to put up with a unbalanced team or let one of their SF/PF ie Rush or Greer go and grab a C.

Is Gibson definatly going to the Tigers? He would round out there guard rotation well.

From a 36ers point of view, id love the 36ers to get Gibson and Petrie instead of imports, would be perfect imo.

Imagine a 36ers roster of

C Schenscher/Young Big (Opacic?)
PF Johnson/Petrie
SF Weigh/Creek
SG Gibson/??Ng (a guard who can shoot)
PG Cadee/Crosswell

Looks perfect to me, come on 36ers have a real crack of making this happen.

Wortho is a great player but i wouldnt bother getting him from a 36ers point of view, as i doubt we could afford both him and Gibson and we need Gibson more, and Petrie would be a more value for money option and basically be what we need in the 3rd big spot.

Gives us great flexibility also as we would have 2 import spots free for injury insurance if required,

Reply #368291 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Chris Goulding & Petire are waiting out until COB Monday. Gibson is staying quiet, looks like Wortho is as good as gone according to other players in the league.

Reply #368292 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Petrie would be perfect for Adelaide, prob gives them what they need (mobile frontcourter who defends extremely well) more than any other player in the league.

Should things work out for GC on Monday though (touch wood) and Petrie, Goulding, Dillon and Gibson stay they are prob in a better spot with Wortho's contract off their books. If the Nevill rumour is true (with NBA out clause I assume) then their roster would actually be in very good shape.

Still, as Statman said, bigger fish to fry first for the Blaze.

Reply #368293 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Your right Isaac, you would swap those 2...that was an error when I was fiddling around.

Not sure about Ballinger as your starting Center and both he and Burston are injury prone. With Ballinger as our starting Center we got dominated and I cant imagine a starting front court of Balls & Wortho being able to defend Big Red and DJ or some other combos in the league?

Reply #368295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But could Big Red and DJ guard Wortho and Balls?

Reply #368299 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Not sounding good for the Blaze.

Hopefully they get through this.

The only positive of losing them would be that with an 8 team league every team would play each other 4 times making it a more fair competition.

Reply #368300 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

Nevill isn't going to blaze...

Reply #368303 | Report this post

Very Very Old  
Years ago

If Adelaide are serious about getting back some cred, Petrie would be a perfect fit. He has an effort level for the boards that was/is somewhat lacking here last season.

Reply #368304 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

All Gold Coast players released. Team done!!!! Back to an 8 team league.

Reply #368307 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think Big Red and DJ would defend Balls and Wortho better than the other way around, based simply on their length. No doubt Wortho would try to exploit DJ on the perimeter though...

Reply #368308 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Sad to see thing like this happen to great clubs. Their website has basically had no changes since they were saved from liquidation. Lets hope they survive. And to all the people saying the NBL would be better with 8 teams,that is a stupid thing to say, the NBL was just starting see good thing and then this happens.

Reply #368310 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Blaze sack playing roster.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/06/29/428005_gold-coast-blaze.html

Reply #368311 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Agreed...I want Petrie in Sixers blue next season!

Reply #368312 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I don't know how anyone could refer to that mob as a "great club"...

Reply #368313 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Dam 6ers fans!

Reply #368315 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Just because players are released does not mean they won't be re-signed by the club if the club survives past COB Monday.

Reply #368319 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Thank you natwhereyouat for your positive attitude.

Reply #368320 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nat there will be no players to re-sign. All will have offers from other clubs by 5pm today now they have been released. None will stay.

Reply #368322 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Goulding and Petrie are waiting to see the outcome on Monday....whatever is actually happening then.
Bet that their agents aren't waiting but working to get offers of interest to show ASAP.
Heard that the lights are still on in the Blaze office,(seriously) the administrator works from there I guess.

Reply #368325 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

With the level of uncertainty surrounding the club as a player you would have to be very cautious/skeptical about the future, even if they do get past Monday. Personally, I'd be looking elsewhere...

Reply #368330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah none of these guys would want to re-sign with the Blaze unless they had no other real options.

Wortho & Gibbo would have to be as good as gone given they're Boomers any team would kill to have.

Reply #368333 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Even though we have two PGs, i'd still want the 36ers targeting Gibson with every possible dollar we have.

C Schenscher/Cheapie
F Johnson/Cheapie?
F Weigh/Creek
G Import/Cadee
G Gibson/Crosswell

Reply #368334 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I'm not saying they will re-sign. Just that IF the Blaze survive, they are allowed to re-sign their players, although they will lose Goulding's low point rating (rated at 7 but plays as a 1).

But who's confident enough to put pen to paper? i think most, if not all players, will now ask for their full contract paid up front if they sign with the Blaze.

Reply #368337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nat, I think that's what coach Joey Wright was doing too. Now that Joey is gone too I wonder what happens to the three-year contract extension he signed during last season?

Reply #368338 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

KET, you would just start Gibbo at SG if you got him wouldnt you and still start Cadee at PG? Gibbo would give you an extra ball handler and experience in the back court but would still allow for the development of Cadee.

Reply #368340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if the 36ers were able to pull off signing Worthington and Gibson plus add Ng.

Cadee/Crosswell
Gibson/Ng
Worthington/Creek
Johnson/Weigh
Schenscher/Vasiljevic or Mottram type

Reply #368344 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Petrie would be a great addition

Reply #368346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Blaze live on it will be on the back of their new "investor" so confidence surely won't be as much of an issue. Apparently Joey told the guys at the start of the voluntary administration to start looking but all bar Wortho actually want to stay. Reading the stories though, it sounds like their GM has done a dodgy on the owners. The GC Bulletin says the new investor is for $10 million. That's a joke isn't it? Is he buying the Blaze AND the Bullets?

Reply #368355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess it's no wonder the club has issues when it's (ex)CEO jumps on part time basketball forum to have a whinge (sorry ANZ no offence meant)

Reply #368363 | Report this post

Brando  
Years ago

I wrote that article and can guarantee you that it was most definitely not Paul. I have been unable to contact him since I got word lunchtime yesterday. We have had a close relationship with everyone in the Blaze organisation.

However, the employee did have some choice words to say about Paul's leadership.

As for the suggestion we copped out by not publishing who the employee is, you have to respect the fact that this employee wasn't authorised by anyone to provide this information. Not to mention, as Nat said, all these people can (and hope to) be re-signed if the deal goes through. As for this employee mentioning a pay increase, consider the fact these guys are still short the money they didn't get paid so if you were offered your job back, wouldn't you want some sort of compensation to make up for that?

Reply #368366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they are short pay they are covered by GEERS arnt they? If not then its expenses they are owed and I guess that then makes it obvious who in the 'community' it is!

Still poor form - if you have something to say at least have the conviction to put your name to it!

Reply #368367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rubbish. they werent slamming anyone just providing inside info. doing it under their name would have had big ramifications.

Reply #368376 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

People seem to know who dished the dirt? Who was it..

Reply #368403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dished the dirt, you idiot! How can you say dished the dirt on a bunch of moronic owners who have made a mockery out of the NBL, ruined the life of a person and family, put into jeopardy the careers and jobs and unpaid wages/super of up to 15 players/employees.

Yes, any of you simpleton idiots whom are having a go at a person who doesn't even know when he/she will get paid next, and let's hope to god that they do not have to also support a family. You really are bloody stupid.

Reply #368409 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Well said Anon above. Kudos to the Tomlinsons for having the guts to back a team, but its not all their fault for the problems - the issues are systemic and it collapsed spectacularly to the detriment of the employees and now the league.

Reply #368412 | Report this post

Hopeful  
Years ago

Any news today yet on the Blaze white knight investor which was meant to sign off or not ??

Reply #368619 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

No news yet...

Reply #368637 | Report this post

Hopeful  
Years ago

Do you know natwhereyouat when it is meant to be annouced, thought there would be something by now, not looking good ?

Reply #368642 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' Only technically insolvent ' All i heard in a Supermarket , just then . Assuming that was about the Gold Coast Blaze. I'd guess.

Reply #368646 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Announcement tomorrow.
"Secret investor meeting at a secret place tonight"........according to the GC news apparently.

Reply #368674 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

http://andthefoul.net/archives/4150

Blaze deal fell through (investor didnt have the $$$ straight away), team needs a miracle before July 13 or it will fold.

Reply #368707 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754