Anonymous
Years ago

Steve Nash to the Lakers

Steve Nash to the Lakers in a sign and trade for draft picks. Great for the Lakers!

Topic #28685 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

where are you getting this from?? nothing on nba.com or the lakers website??

Reply #369049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8130840/sources-steve-nash-headed-los-angeles-lakers-sign-trade-deal

Reply #369051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '049, if you want to hear news first, you're probably better off hitting sites like ESPN, forum, social media and so on rather than waiting just for the official word.

Reply #369052 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Lakers are reportedly sending 2013 & 2015 First Round picks plus 2013 & 2014 Second Round Picks.

Reply #369056 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Follow @WojYahooNBA on Twitter, he's pretty much on the pulse.

Reply #369058 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Lakers just got a lot better with this trade. Will be interesting now to see whether the Lakers go after trading for Howard or if they ship out Gasol.

Reply #369061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes legit contenders now,

more improvement if they do say Bynum for Howard with the Magic i reckon!

Reply #369063 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The oldest, most unathletic team in the league just got older and less athletic.

Still, I like this trade.

Now they just have to get rid of Ron Artest and acquire some bench depth. This team now has one shooter: Nash. They need more.

Reply #369065 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Even at his age Nash is a major upgrade on Sessions. Good trade for the Lakers....will be interesting to see how Kobe and Nash will go together, both are fairly ball dominant....I'd assume they will want Kobe to play more off the ball with Nash getting him the open looks off the dribble.

Reply #369070 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

This trade has reverberations for other teams too, as Toronto now have egg on their face for offering bags of cash to Landry Fields.

Meanwhile the Knicks may have to do everything they can to make sure they have a point guard next season by stopping Jeremy Lin going to Houston.

Wonder if Mitch is going to pull the trigger and get Howard to LA for Bynum. Lots of pros and cons either way but IMO an immature Howard > an immature Bynum.

Who knows, maybe Dwight will learn from LeBron and grow up in the process of playing for a contender.

Josh Smith for Gasol also sounds like an intriguing prospect....

Reply #369075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Between Bryant, Nash and Gasol, the Lakers have three of the highest basketball IQs the game has ever seen. If things click, the results should be beautiful.
Same ESPN writer seems to think the Lakers should avoid giving away too much. e.g., try to keep both bigs.

Reply #369076 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I wouldnt blow up the core now. Gasol and Nash = passing heaven.

There are still some really great role player free agents available.

Need to get younger and more athletic and clean out the bench.

Reply #369077 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Good signing for the Lakers only potential downfall is the Lakers have had a history of star players coming to the Lakers at the back end of their careers and have either not have fitted in or complained about there reduced role on the team. (Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Glenn Rice, Mitch Richmond)

Richmond and Rice made it known they were not happy with there roles despite winning a championship with the Lakers. Malone and Payton did reach the finals but I wouldn't say either pair "shined" in their Lakers tenure with Malone retiring and Payton departing for Boston after the Lakers loss.

Reply #369085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the rest of the league just got a cold shiver!

The best thing about this deal is there is still more to come for the Lakers.

I wouldnt be surprised if there are 2 more big signings in tinsle town.

Reply #369088 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

That's a huge defensive hole at the one to be carrying in a league that is currently dominated by freak PGs.

Lakers need to find a big PG or combo guard to spell Nash because in a series teams will look to exploit his non-existent defense.

I don't think his production will drop off dramatically, though, as some have suggested. He plays well below the rim, doesn't rely on speed or athleticism, and doesn't play defense in the first place to worry about being burned on that end. I think you'll get the same Nash that we've seen for the past couple of years.

Even if the core is retained there are some serious moves to be made: Jordan Hill will no doubt attract too high a rival offer to be retained, Blake is redundant now because he is similar to Nash but worse in every way, and every other bench player not named Devin Ebanks is expendable. They need shooting and athleticism urgently.

Reply #369099 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Wow, i thought 4 sure he'd join Amare in NY!

Reply #369100 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

It's pretty simple for the Lakers now. They have to win a championship in the next three seasons, as they've given up a lot of picks to get Nash there. I don't think Nash is the type of player to complain about his role. At this point in his career he just wants to win. He's been MVP, been and All-Star, he just wants a ring. From the reports it sounded like Kobe really pushed for this to happen, so they should be able to co-exist. Kobe is smart enough to understand that his role will need to change slightly as he's getting older. The one thing that really hurt the Lakers in the playoffs was not having anybody else who could consistenly hit an outside shot. They've rectified that with Nash, and also been able to upgrade the production they'll get from their bigs, purely because Nash will get them the ball in the right spots.

Reply #369101 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

@David, I don't remember Richmond ever complaining about his diminished role with the Lakers.

Reply #369112 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

@ Tweet Tweet He was'nt happy a guy who was a 6 time all-star was reduced to DNP-CD regularly in the playoffs and only played a total 4 minutes in the post season. I remember reading an article that he wasn't happy but wasn't disruptive because of the consummate professional that is Richmond.

Reply #369121 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

This sounds like a good signing, and I am really happy for the Lakers, but that's because I am a Boston fan.
I just don't see this gelling at all. Kobe refused last year to pass the ball to Bynum or Gasol even though they had a much better FG%. He just kept chucking it at the ring, everyone else be damned. I think he will do the same thing again this year (say the right things, do whatever the hell he wants); as soon as they start a mini slump he will revert to form. And then Bynum & Gasol will pout, as they did last year, and the team will go to crap again.

Reply #369152 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Big test for Mike Brown, Phil Jackson was always known as an successful coach because he was an effective player manager. Nash and Kobe Could really work and be awesome, or it could be a waste of Nash talents and more of the same from KB. hopefully Bryant figures out what he needs to do, because the passing of Nash and Gasol alone should be good to watch, if done right.When FC Barcelona played the Lakers a couple of years a go the passing of Barcelona confused the hell of most of the Lakers, which was impressive to watch with Barca only going down by 4 its. End of the day Bryant's probably the most competitive player in the NBA and he would be wanting to respond the Heat show of Wade and James.

Reply #369157 | Report this post

KidRizz83  
Years ago

Yeah I like it.

www.facebook.com/thedailyjersey

Reply #369164 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

A year ago the Lakers were applauded for trading for Chris Paul, saying that the trade was going to space out the floor more, giving the Lakers an elite point guard that will give Kobe more space to work. The catch was that the trade would give up Odom and Gasol. I'm not saying that Steve Nash is as good as Chris Paul, but he is just as good a distributor of the ball and he can hit his own shot. This trade for virtually nothing (2 late first round picks and 2nd rounders) is a home run by Kupchak. Granted, Nash isn't a good defender but he adds so much to the team offensively. The Lakers still have Gasol as well. Nash is sure to help him get plenty of open 10 footers that we didn't see enough of last year. Or, they could try and piece Gasol as the centrepiece of a trade to land someone like Josh Smith, or they could go for a slasher 3 with an intention to play Jordan Hill as a starter at the 4. Another option is the inevitable talk of Bynum for Howard. The bench is going to be key tho. Would love to see Grant Hill join them with the 3 million dollar exception but Kupchak has shown that anything can happen for the Lakers so I guess we'll see about that...

Bottom line is that this trade has upgraded the Lakers at its weakest position and turned it into a strong point, one that will have such an influence on every player on the offensive side of the ball. The Lakers are once again relevant in title aspirations.

Reply #369168 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

@ Mick, when you have twin towers like Gasol and Bynum inside, it doesn't matter if Nash can't play D. Most of the guards these days are penetrating guards so they would welcome them into the paint. Won't change either if they get Dwight.
It will be very interesting though to see how Kobe and Nash play well together as Nash does dribble the shit out of it.

Reply #369208 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

When was the last time a team had two former league MVPs in their starting backcourt?

Reply #369221 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754