The guru
Years ago

Which Nbl rosters are better/worse over offseason?

Nz: lost Wilko but still very solid on paper, will be around the mark.

Perth: lose nevill and keep roster stable, similar to Nz in that they are slightly worse but still a very good team.

Gc: obviously a lot worse with what has happened, will go from 3rd last season to 7-9 range this season.

Townsville: kept the core group together but lost schenscher. will depend on their imports how they fair, fringe top 4 IMO.

cairns: a good mix of wings/size and a great pg in Wilson. Have improved their roster!

Melbourne: probably worse, an unproven coach and unconvincing signings.

Wollongong: much the same, will depend on imports.

Sydney: a lot worse, will be down the bottom with gc/melb

Adelaide: the big improves for mine. They are deep! If they can get the final few signings right like some great outside shooters/defenders could compete for top 2.

Agree? Seems the Nbl has not improved over the off season, concerning?

Topic #28766 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ - worse but still good
Perth - see NZ
Gold Coast - too early to tell, probably worse
Townsville - similar
Cairns - better
Melbourne - probably slightly better
Sydney - similar
Wollongong - depends on import, probably better
Adelaide - better

Seems like the comp will even out more this year with NZ and Perth not being able to replace Wilkinson and Nevill with similar players and Gold Coast losing Worthington.

I think that is a good thing and will make the season more interesting.

Reply #370427 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

How is syd similar?

They lost guns in grant khazzouh Bose and replaced them with role playing scrubs.

Reply #370430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grant wasnt a gun, he just threw down nice dunks. Bose threw up a lot of bricks as well as some nice stuff. Lazare and Harvey will be at least as good as those two if not better. Henry will be better thn Cooper. Heal will be better than Robilliard. Crosswhite obviously isnt as good as Khazzouh. Looking at that, they might even be better than last year.

Reply #370434 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Clear top 4 to me are Nz Perth cairns Adelaide. Coincidence that they have the best coaches also?

Reply #370439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide depend on their last few spots but looking solid at this point. Need to get the imports right.

Reply #370441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth and nz will be top 2! Perth has 7 players been 2 gether now i there 4th season. So nz similar 2, u just cant sign players every season, chop n change, thats why perth n nz are best 2! N will be again, if matty knight is injurey free? Think perth are better without nevile, like trueman, this is his chance 2 be a gd role player!

Reply #370442 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Who is the best seabl/ABA 3 man slasher right now? They should get an Nbl gig.

Reply #370448 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I agree with The guru..
Top 4
NZ
Perth
Cairns
Adelaide

But also depends on Import signings for Townsville & Wollongong.

Bottom dwellers - Sydney, Melbourne

Reply #370458 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Adelaide have improved, but big call on top 4 when they've got a guy running the point as a starter for the first time, and haven't signed any imports yet.

Reply #370467 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Adelaide will need good coaching, not just recruiting, to make the top 4.

I think NZ, Perth, Cairns & Adelaide is a realistic top 4 at this stage but Adelaide definitely could underacheive without some good decision making in what could be Marty's do or die NBL coaching year.

Reply #370473 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Woolpert has been talking a lot about how good Townsville's two imports are going to be, so he better deliver...

Reply #370484 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Top four will be NZ, Perth, Townsville & Cairns, a.k.a. the usual suspects in recent years.

Reply #370488 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Wool pert is American so should have good sources to recruit from compared to other clubs. He was the d league coach for oklahoma thunders affiliate.

Let's hope he recruits better than Joey wright.

Reply #370490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sold on Perth being a lock for top 4 at this stage. They've gone backwards in a reasonably big way losing Nevill & Williamson for Bartlett & Trueman.

Sure Nevill's not that good but he gave them a different look someone who can be hard to guard, Trueman is just a plodder with no offensive game and is much shorter than Nevill too.

Reply #370495 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thomas, you just can't stay away, can you?

Reply #370496 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

1- Perth / Same core, Top 3. 1st if Knight is healthy. Have the 2nd import spot if needed.

2- Cairns / Added scoring to a great defensive team. Hopefully a better import than Warren to come.

3- NZ / Hudson can't spread the floor like Wilkinson but they will still be around the mark.

-----

4- Adelaide / Heaps of queries, Cadee up to starting? Will the twin towers work? Clarke? On paper pretty good at the moment.

5- Melbourne / Again heaps of queries, Ballinger got anything left? Will Rush actually be used? A lot depends on the imports to come.

6- Townsville / How do they cover the loss of Big Luke? Can Holmes maintain his form? Could have big issues inside.

-----

7- Wollongong / Always tough to gauge, so much depends on their imports. Their core is already better than Sydney. I could probably have them on par with the 2nd group.

8- Sydney / Lost starting front court, replaced them with Crosswhite and very little else. Madgen needs to have an MVP type year for them to be close.

9- Gold Coast / Who will wanna play for a team with a real chance of going into VA next season therefore no guarantee of pay?

Hopefully some good odds are offered on Cairns, I really rate their chances this season. Generally win at home and are putting together a great squad.

Reply #370501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats have made 26th straight finals, think they know what there doin, williamson hasnt done anything for 2 season, in fact i think he cost us a few games. Got martin, lisch, wags, tovey n knight as our 5. They can match up wit any 1. Then u got robo, bartlet, redhage, trueman and hire. The got the dpy n the mvp in the 5! Come on keep it real, they wil b there at the end! Shit draw but

Reply #370502 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

I will pound cairns if odds are over 10 dollars. They are a small market team so are underrated.

Reply #370505 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

I like Perth but no back up shooting guards or legit centre. Trueman is the dud on the roster now drew has left. Assuming he's dirt cheap.

What is the melb roster?

Balls, rush, greer, rush, Dorsey, who else?

Reply #370506 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Cairns have 2 rookies though, could be vulnerable...

Tragardh dowdell?
Laughton rychart
Grabau steindl
Gliddon hill
Wilson ???

Too many swing men type in thos 2/3 spots for me.

Steindl Gliddon hill all similar types and not legit sgs.

Reply #370509 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think Cairns will go into this season overrated by bookies:

- Their new franchise player has just come from a big market so southern media/bookies will take notice

- They have effectively replaced Crosswhite (arguably the best defensive C in the league) with Trigger (one of the worst defenders in the league) on a team whose identity is on that end of the floor. That's a lot of points in the paint they'll be giving up, even if Trigger is great on the other end.

Reply #370514 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Mick has hit Cairn's problem right on the head. If they can find the balance between their loss on the defensive end and the extra points they'll score of offence, then they could potentially win the championship. They lost a lot of games last year purely on their inability to score, so they had to make a move in that area. They've got a great low post scorer and brought in a couple of shooters which will undoubtedly help their offensive production.

They'll also need to deal with the inexperience that comes with having two rookies that are expected to contribute fairly significantly. Though, that having been said, they appear to already have good depth and are yet to sign their second import (is there any word on who this might be?).

Reply #370517 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Is jeff dowdell signed?

If not perhaps grab a big rebounding bench import and sign tait as back up pg? Cutq Kerry Williams?

Reply #370522 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

In order of Nbl favourites and talent level, I'd go:

Wildcats
Breakers

Crocs
Taipans
36ers

Hawks
Tigers

Blaze
Kings

Reply #370523 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Personally I don't see Adelaide's roster working.

Lots of pieces to make fit for an immature coaching staff. Getting a young, green PG to try keep the floor spaced with a twin tower style frontline is gonna be tough.

And if you are looking at Schensch to be a leader / centre-piece, you might as well keep looking because it's not in his nature.

Reply #370535 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Fearne is in the US looking for an import Centre (no Dowdell)- Trig will play more PF. Rychart and Loughton can play 5 defensively so I expect the shuffle offence to create a lot of mismatches and trigs defence to improve within the Fearne system.

Clint went and played with Stankovic cup and was very good defensively, rebounding and hit the big 3 when he was open. He is already showing composure with his International experience so I wouldnt be overly concerned he is a rookie. He played alot of SG in China but slipped into SF easily as well.

Cam Gliddon may have some early season jitters, but if he didn't hurt is back he would have gone to China as well. Just a pure shooter but he can pass sharply from watching them practise. Can surprisingly block a bigger guy and has quick hands for the steal. Was a few Ally-oop passes to Hill or a big 3 from his hands.

The backup PG is the only real concern I have for the Taipans as they need someone to compliment Jamar and rotate through the SG depending on the team. Doubt Kerry W will be re-signed but Bruce and Gleeson have been thrown around (nothing substantial)

As for the defence of Trig - he has locked himself away from twitter for the week to get stuck into it. He is fit, pumped and has 2 of the best defensive coaches in the country in Downer/Fearne getting him ready. He will surprise quite a few with his new found skills and a team system setup to create open shots for guys like himself. Jamar to Tragardh will be heard a lot.

PS: A lot of people rating Townsville, not sure about them this year. PC is always a triple threat but everything hangs on their imports (and no Schenscher to cover up the holes). Preseason will be heavily watched this year. My top 4 are - NZ, Cairns, Perth, Adelaide (Luke factor)

Reply #370540 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Get Gleeson, he will probably win qbl league MVP this season. Deserves a shot!

Reply #370541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realy looking forward to watching Steindl and Gliddon for Cairns, I think both will play big roles for the Taipans. Cairns are the championship favourites for me.

Reply #370543 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/7323949/Breakers-ready-to-take-Corey-Webster-back

Breakers looking like

Jackson/Bruton
Corletto/C. Webster
Abercrombie/Henry
Vukona/Boucher
Pledger/Hudson

DP: J Bloxham, D.Prewster, T Webster

looking forward to seeing Cedric Jackson minus the bung ankle. Tommy Abercrombie minus the bung ankle. Pledger getting more minutes and Webster back in the team.

Reply #371375 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Jackson re-signed?

Reply #371376 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

nope not signed, he's waiting on offers from the NBA before signing but has expressed interest if no NBA offers are forthcoming which is better than nothing and I don't think his jump shot is consistent enough for a long term NBA gig

Reply #371380 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Has Webster learned his lesson Mystro?

Reply #371382 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd say so, be pretty stink packing shelves at the supermarket while your little bro is overseas playing with the Tallblacks especially when you could have been there with him. He's apparently kept his head down and trained his ass off during his suspension and he didn't kill anyone after all, he just smoked some fake weed.

Reply #371383 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754