=
Years ago

Adelaide Arena Repossessed by CBA

"Today we were advised by Ferrier Hodgson that they have taken possession of the Adelaide Arena on behalf of the Commonwealth Bank, from former owner Eddy Groves. This has surprised all of us at the Adelaide 36ers and Basketball SA."

“Over the next week we will be working closely with Ferrier Hodgson to determine what this means for the future of basketball in South Australia, including the Adelaide 36ers, the Adelaide Lightning, Basketball SA and SA Country Basketball.

“We will keep our members, the public and other key groups informed as soon as we have further information and better understand what the repercussions are for our sport.”

Topic #28843 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

My guess is it's a church in 12 months!

Reply #371650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My guess is it's a church in 12 months!

Reply #371651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll go for a roller derby rink - for the Adelaide Roller Derby season 2013.

Give it to a sport on the rise !

Reply #371652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naw, the government will bail them out again only for BSA to lose it once more over the following couple of years.

Reply #371656 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A few years ago the site was prime land for small business blocks, but the horse has bolted

Reply #371660 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Other options?
AEC?

Reply #371668 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There are very few options , due to State Govt. restrictions . It can't be used as an entertainment or convention centre , only for sport.
It makes a bit of a loss then , and makes it hard to sell.

Reply #371670 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

You would think this year is safe I guess, if they have a lease i'm sure they cant just kick them out.

Reply #371671 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

correct on the lease.

but after that???

Reply #371672 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Restrictions lifted last sale

If we want the 36 ers to survive, we all need to buy a season ticket now and support the club

BSA ........what next can go wrong.......

Basketball In every other state going forward, new stadiums, better structure .

Sure , some have more kids , but they seem to get better funding

Reply #371678 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Restrictions lifted last sale

If we want the 36 ers to survive, we all need to buy a season ticket now and support the club

BSA ........what next can go wrong.......

Basketball In every other state going forward, new stadiums, better structure .

Sure , some have more kids , but they seem to get better funding

Reply #371679 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

Paradise church are sniffing around I hear?

Reply #371680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another reason to loathe Guy Sebastian and that odd looking brother of his...

Reply #371682 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Restrictions are still in place which also negates use as a church

Reply #371684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers Eddy.......

Reply #371691 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

if the church buy that might not be that bad, i'm sure they could work some due use thing out. They only need sunday and some afternoons i would guess. Bball in the mornings and wed/fri/sat/sun other times. Would it not really just be a big function hall for them?

Hopefully the state buy it on the cheap and rent back but i doubt.

Reply #371692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paradise church are sniffing around I hear?

When are they not?

Reply #371700 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Thinking Apollo might be the perfect size now??

Maybe trade venues!

God there is good money in god

Reply #371710 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Apollo is no more, of course. It is a housing estate.

Reply #371711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could we see BSA move to wayville?

Wouldn't that be good.

Reply #371716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cba will sell it with a clear title
6ers may be out on their ear depending on the buyer

Reply #371717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't be surprised if the majority owner of the sixers buys the property

Reply #371718 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

if the church buy that might not be that bad, i'm sure they could work some (dual) use thing out.

Maybe as a temporary thing, but I doubt it in the longer term... megachurches like Paradise (which I think is rebadging itself as Influencers Church) typically run services/events/conferences all over the week.

Reply #371722 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Surely the NBL would be worried about this?
Would they let the stadium be bought by a church who would kick out the Sixers leaving them to probably play games at...Wayville???
Would not be a good look for the NBL if one of the oldest and more successful teams is playing out of Wayville. I would assume we wouldn't be getting any televised games anymore!!!

Reply #371723 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would be playing out of AEC. Like most other NBL teams.

Lightning would need to play out of Wayville.

Reply #371727 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

hopefully not the AEC its crap for BB,

and a quick look at there upcoming events for next 12 months plus,

there would be no games on fri,sat occasional sunday,
most would need to be mon,tue or thurs games.

hopefully this season is safe, i'm sure it is

but after that lets hope for some good news as i think the AEC would have our crowds instantly

Reply #371730 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Have was meant to be Half :/

Reply #371732 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The resale of the property will have to keep its current tenants for the term they are signed for, and with any stipulations agreed too. Who knows, maybe the churchies will come fill the stadium on game day

Reply #371733 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

It is my understanding that the SOS group have or had first option of purchasing the premises if/and/when the building was for sale.

Reply #371734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers ownership has been preparing for this outcome from day 1. no need to get nervous.

Reply #371735 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I know that the purchase of the building was considered a few years ago. One (former) member told me the quote from the quantity surveyor to accurately assess the value of the building was $30,000.

Reply #371736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suppose the only good thing to come out of Eddy's ownership over the past 4-5 years is that the stadium is in such a dilapidated state that the resale value would have dropped off significantly. Hopefully the stadium is either bought by the 36ers or a person who is sensible and retains the stadium for primarily basketball use.

Any chance Adelaide United could be interested? I know they were sniffing around the Italian Club (now going to be a cemetery or something similar...) opposite the stadium and use the venue for training/ pre & post match functions.

The conditions on the land would be Council/ government enacted? Would require Council/ Government support to remove those conditions.

Not that the government cares, but, could they potentially buy the stadium? It would be an ultimate waste for the stadium (which was once the best in Australia) to be used solely for non-basketball purposes

Reply #371740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide United are looking heavily into The Parks as their training grounds, as was reported about a fortnight ago through media outlets

Reply #371743 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think ideally, any restrictions would be lifted so that it would be of maximum value to a buyer, but that our two professional basketball teams be given priority access.

Reply #371744 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Could Adelaide United and the 36ers share the stadium? Plenty of room outside for soccer training. Could share a gym/indoor training facilities?

Reply #371745 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where would you locate the gym? The oval is a separate property isn't it? I think the only advantage for a soccer club might be for indoor short-distance running and movement/spacing training?

Reply #371746 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

$30,000 for the building Jack...........I agree there is a lot of repairs that need to be carried out but I'd say the improvement value would be a coinsiderably more than $30k.

Reply #371750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Isaac, the grassed car park area is owned by the council and the 36ers have to hire it from them for car parking on game days. That is the reason the club has to charge for game day parking.

Reply #371751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember being told that the land (stadium and car park) cannot be used for housing as the sub soil is contaminated

Reply #371752 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Jake, that's not $30,000 for the building. That is $30,000 for someone to spend time looking at the site to tell someone how much it is worth.

Reply #371753 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

They did have a Gym operating from the Mark Davis room at one point. Think it was EFM running it. So the room is there.

But certainly additions would need to be built to accommodate Adelaide United, but could work out a lot cheaper than building from scratch at the Parks. Is it the same council area too?

The government loves to through money at Soccer, so It could be a plausible way to keep the dome.

Make two sports happy for a little more than the price of one?

Reply #371755 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct. Invest in those facilities and also make it an elite youth training centre for the two sports when the pro clubs arent using the gym, rehab pool etc. Very common model in Vic now.

Reply #371757 | Report this post

AMac  
Years ago

Maybe the CBA will retain the dome but change the name from the Adelaide Arena to the CBA Can.

Instead of recruitiing Gibbo we could source an import that has a trade so they can fix the toliets as part of their contract.

Reply #371766 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I know a venue you could play some games at. Couple of your new players should be pretty comfortable there too :)

Reply #371768 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

How many members in the SOS group now? I was told it is only one person now and someone else said it was 2-3 owners, does anyone know?

Reply #371770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

two owners one a majority owner

Reply #371772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? From 8 owners in the group down to 2 in the space of just 3 years? Not good.

Reply #371775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meanwhile, where was this news in today's paper?? We get a 3 paragraph story about the WNBL reverting to a final-four playoff format but nothing about an event that, in the words of Leeanne Grantham, creates debate on "what this means for the future of basketball in South Australia"??? So glad SA has the only dedicated basketball writer in Australia to cover the big issues...

Reply #371778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, the paper doesn't give said writer the space. Get used to newspapers not giving a shit about basketball in Australia as it's just how it is these days. I think we're lucky Boti even has a job the way the media is going.

Reply #371779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Isaac, I can't believe that if Boti went to his editor and said "Comm Bank has repossessed Adelaide Arena and the Sixers/Lightning might not have a venue to play at this season" that they couldn't switch those three paragraphs for the dribble on the WNBL playoffs. I got the email at 5.14pm yesterday!!

Reply #371780 | Report this post

avocadoontoast  
Years ago

This minor fiasco is the by-product of private ownership which is a winner when the the sport is a significant player and money spinner for sponsors. But, here in the Antipodes, a sport with a profile akin to a terrorist organisation needs managing body support to survive and operate effectively.

The here today, gone tomorrow clubs of the NBL are turn offs to Australian punters and Basketball Oz needs to understand that.Governing state bodies need to own and operate the various teams to solidify the support that exists and grow the support they need.Stability is needed not a new team or another vanishing one. Basketball needs a history, tradition, not the flash in the panititis that exists now where Brisbane fans et al are left wondering if they were just another 'Rams' experiment.

The sport itself in South Australia needs to be more up front about participation rates at district level because first impressions are, that basketball is health and should be vibrant.With the women, the contrary is true with many clubs not having the troops to send to the front.Too many clubs are duplicating and triplicating their playing numbers with the same faces playing at 18, 23 and senior women.

The crisis is not the stadium it's the game itself.

Reply #371784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the two owners and which one is the majority owner ????

Reply #371794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Avoca there is no crisis in the game, the powers that be in the bigger clubs are happy to leave the elitist comp as is. The "right" kids are getting the exposure, well enough to scratch the ego's. The kids with real talent aren't encouraged and eventually leave for football or soccer or girls/boys....
I was in Melbourne recently and the things I heard from people who matter, BBall in this state is viewed as a joke. And what I saw when there confirmed to me that they get it so wrong here. But those that can affect change don't really want it. They would rather big fish small pond, and our pond is very small compared to what it could be.

Reply #371799 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Regardless of what happens with the Arena, its a purpose built complex and can only be used for that purpose. If CBA sell it, someone else needs to buy it for the purpose of basketball. Surely it makes no difference who your landlord is as far as continuation of use of that facility goes. Surely the rent would not go up considerably either making it unaffordable to rent because the owners only have a limited market to rent it to. The stadium is there to be used for basketball regardless of who owns it. If the land is contaminated, then purchasing this property rules out any re development of the land. That's the way I look at it.

Reply #371808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Netball is growing they might consider it

Reply #371818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey on the other side we could go back to Eddy putting in a injuction against the bank like last time and dragging it back through the courts.

arguably we would all be better off if sixers owners bought the stadium least then we could get it upgraded as it stands now it is a joke scoreboards don't work, toilets need fixing, place needs to be scrubbed and thoughly cleaned not going to happen under current conditions

Reply #371820 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

We would all be better off if the owner of the 36ers who is probably losing close to $1M per year were to spend $5M on buying the Arena/Powerhouse/Dome and spends another $3M to upgrade the facility that cannot hope to make its running costs back in any future year.

Not sure what is in it for them though.

Reply #371824 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The Powerball has jackpotted to 30 million.

Perhaps the winner can inject some of the winnings into the game.

Reply #371828 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Stuck in a hard place for any buyer if the restrictions remain.

The government should have kept it for themselves before selling it to eddy.Lift the restrictions and it could have hosted small events and 36ers.
Would have been much cheaper then the 50mill spent on the entertainment cent upgrades.

Reply #371887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan Hughes owns the Arena.....

Reply #371939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the f... is Dan Hughes

Reply #371941 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Powerball is 50 million big ones next week,if i win the jackpot i will buy & upgrade the arena-I assume that would allow Magic access to full district member status.

Reply #371951 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon #371941

BSA Stadium Manager for the Powerhouse (currently known as Adelaide Arena)

PS - when will sporting organisations realize how much brand value they lose when they (let a sponsor) change the name of their playing venue? It's akin to changing the club's name every time you get a new sponsor, which isn't done for exactly that reason.

I can't help but think there might be more media interest in the story if the venue was still identified with the 36ers, as it was when it first opened. However, repeated name changes have disconnected the two brands in the public's eye.

I'm also curious that no-one has commented on the potential for loss of the Brett Maher Court to the 36ers' use. That may be a lever that would excite public engagement and interest in making sure that the 36ers continue to play at the venue, regardless of the ownership outcome.

Reply #371996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan Hughes does not work for BSA but he is the facilites manager for the ADelaide ARena

Reply #372002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many people would have any idea who Maher was do you think?
CABL audiences sum up basketball interest and NBL appeals to a small audience too. In my workplace most dont know where the dome or milk house is or was and no one knows appolo except ancient greeks. Basketcase is run by self interested groups who have remained unchallenged and we are bottomed out flatliners until we kill them off.

Reply #372004 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Sorry - my misreading of BSA web site re Daniel Hughes' employer.

Reply #372043 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

10 news said sixes had meeting today and seeked to confirm security for next season and did not get it. Told CBA aid to get most $$$ thats not great. Only thing I question is if next season is next year or the coming season.

Reply #372056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw 10 news as well, does not sound great.
I took it at as no confirmation for this season.
Wow, we finally have a team and this happens.

So if they have to play at the netball stadium they wont even be able to hold season ticket holders and 2000 less spectators at 350 each, 700K down the drain.

EC, How could they fit the schedule? Wonder what the cost to the Club will be?

Not good at all

Reply #372075 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This is the time for basketball's hierarchy to work together to buy the stadium.

Reply #372079 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Basketball has had the Australian flag bearer 2 out of the last 4 Olympic games. In the governments eyes, no body owes basketball anything.

Reply #372096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Dome The Milkhouse? The Powerhouse, how about renaming it to Good Luck if you can find it with out having to do a u-turn because the signage sucks stadium.

It's a real shame that Basketball in SA faces this, you expect to be able model on the highest tiers of a sport as a low grade club. Somewhere something went wrong because this stadium should be owned by the either the 36's, BSA or in partnership.

Reply #372098 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As I recall the last time the liquidater was on the premises trying to recover $5M , there's interest in it , until buyers find out about all the restrictions
then its not worth buying it .

Reply #372497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should BSA sink money into buying the stadium. Surely their money, whatever it may be, should be put into improving the facilities of their members, particularly district clubs.

What benefit do the members of BSA get from them part owning a stadium. It is a drain on cash under the current restrictions and to be quite frank it is an atrocious stadium for parents to watch their kids when three courts are beng used.

Who knows, it might go very cheap if the restrictions are not amended or there is in fact no issue in demolishing it (i.e. contamination) What would it be worth if you can't do any more than you are doing now.

BSA should stay out of stadium ownership and work on improving the game

Reply #372505 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's it , if ya can have a concert or so there
you might get your $5m for it , but it'll go very cheap .

Reply #372510 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

New email from the club did not sound positive at all. How do you just not recognise a lease agreement?

Reply #372562 | Report this post

People Power  
Years ago

Let's all threaten to pull our deposits with the Commonwealth Bank if they don't recognise the lease.

Banks at the moment need every deposit they can get with funding markets being so tight right now and pulling deposits, even from a few thousand customers hurts. It may even hurt enough that the potential loss on the arena will hurt them less than a loss of deposits.

Can someone today with time (I’m at work) start a petition (with real commonwealth customers which I am one for my business) threatening to pull deposits if the 36ers are priced out of the Arena. This is where people power can actually work.

Reply #372622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If every cba basketball enthusiast in the country pulled their deposit/business or other account from them the net effect would cause negligible issues for CBAand considerable for the depositors. Instead of threats write courteous letters or petitions an kill with kindness because reaching for a gun is useless.

Reply #372633 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

at the moment the Dome represents .002% of CBA's annual profit

i like your moxy but doubt it will do anything to tarnish the CBA

Reply #372635 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip made mention on Twitter of an idea to start a campaign based on CBA's CAN advertising. e.g., "CommBank, are you saying we can't play basketball at Adelaide Arena?"

Reply #372649 | Report this post

florence  
Years ago

Paradise church have no intention of buying it, it was just a publicity stunt or marketing ploy to offset negative publicity recently. They are not at capacity at all!! and they could not afford it.

Reply #379527 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

surely BSA could play some Friday night division 1 games there??

Reply #379531 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754