skip
Years ago

Townsville Crocs bring back import Larry Abney

Just announced on Twitter.

Ian Smythe ?@CrocsCEO

I am pleased to announce "The Birdman" is coming back to the swamp. Larry Abney has agreed to a one year deal with the club #CrocNation

Sixers fans would most likely remember him for being involved in Brad Hill breaking his arm.

Topic #29465 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing by the crocs imo, probably a older import these days but likely came cheap and will help their bigs more than a Pennisi type imo.

Will he start C alongside Holmes at PF or does Allen get to start C?

Reply #381543 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The league has changed quite a bit since he last played here, definitely much better defense. Will be interesting to see how his game has changed with declining athleticism and what level he can contribute at age 35.

If he can finish at the rim and rebound at a decent rate he will be a great fit. The Crocs made it hard on themselves last season having no one on the roster who could finish inside.

Any NZNBL followers have an update on where he game is at these days?

Reply #381545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abney just averaged 19.6ppg @ 59%, 10.3rpg, 1.4spg, 1bpg for Southland in the NZ league this year.

Reply #381546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If than can equate to atleast 10pts 5 rebounds, and a inside presence at both ends he will be a decent pick up for the crocs.

Reply #381547 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Anon my guess is he will come off the bench to relieve Allen or Holmes.

Allen
Holmes
Blanchfield
PC
Ervin

Hinder
Abney
Mick Cedar
Chris Cedar
Norton

PC likely to play 3 when cedars come on and Blancfield sits, with Abney and Hinder interchangeable at 4/5. Chris Cedar and Norton to play some minutes at 2 imo.

I would have liked a bit more depth and size at 3 but pc has shown he can handle himself there.

Reply #381548 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I don't mind the Birdman and this signing.
Crocs will be interesting to watch this year.

If only Rob Rose was able to continue playing.

Reply #381550 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Be interesting to see how well he can play still. I remember he had declined a fair bit last time he returned with Cairns. He played behind Jawai for that season, so he's going to have another mentoring type role with Allen this time.
Can't see him being much more than a 20mpg player, but definitely better than the original idea of getting Osborn of Pennisi.

Reply #381552 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Crocs have now edged into the top 4 calculations for mine. NZ, Perth and 36ers are top 3 but the crocs if they can gel have the roster to do well.

Reply #381555 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

OOOOHHH Abney at 35 big risk come cheap,if he can put up numbers say 10-5 then crocs have made a good choice for a player coming off the bench,would have gone for Mcfarlin at 30 ,see how the crocs go this season,wont be a top 4 prospect but say 5-6th

Reply #381556 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Townsville should finish the regular season top 2 if they get their shit together relatively early. I wonder what would be going through Abney's head right now, Townsville were pretty harsh on him when he was with Cairns.

Reply #381561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 2 lol

Reply #381566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 2 fat chance,not strong enough to beat Perth new Zealand or Adelaide good luck spurs fan

Reply #381572 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Stop there guys, you're embarrassing yourselves. Nah we will see how it goes, they have the talent to do it though.

Reply #381573 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I would of gone with McFarlin as well.Good player who was last playing in Japan and did well there.

Reply #381577 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You have to give the Crocs front office an immense amount of credit.

They made a ballsy move, and did a great job in going and getting very good replacements (One superstar in Ervin and a workhorse veteran in Abney)

Hopefully the inclusion of Ervin will attract an increase in membership sales / make up for any potential membership decreases as a result of the importing axings.

Reply #381578 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, doubt any fans bailed because they cut those imports. Some might've been worried if they hadn't.

Reply #381585 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Whoops, by 'membership decreases' I meant that with the import axings, perhaps not as many people would have signed up as usual.

So a lost opportunity more than anything.

But that has being regained.

Reply #381586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good choice to help out the front line although mcfarlin was a good option also

to abney's credit he did post some real solid numbers in NZ and looked in great shape

prob only needs 10 and 8 in 25mins a game to make a real difference to the crocs second unit

might be past his best athletic ability but will give some real inside toughness off the bench

Reply #381587 | Report this post

John Salmons  
Years ago

Tim Behrendorffff & Blagoj Janev did average 20 points & 8 rebounds in NZ a few years back. Has the NZnbl improved that much?

Reply #381589 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Hey John Salmons, what's up man? Good to see you on the forum. You a fan of Aussie hoops?

Reply #381590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were a few sponsors that did bail after the import axings - I'm sure that would have also been a carry over effect from past years as well though.

Reply #381595 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The sponsorship is a different beast. I doubt most people (ie people who don't follow basketball) would know who Gary Ervin is, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference. The issue is the price for corporate sponsorship -- which is far too high for the small gain you will get out of supporting an NBL franchise in a regional city, along with general admin ticket prices, which are again far too high.

Compare the prices for games in Townsville and Cairns and you start to get a pretty good idea of why casual fans don't go to the basketball very often in Townsville. Cairns are a community team and have affordable prices through the gate, and therefore bums on seats. Since Cairns re-focused following going into adminstration (ironically over-paying for Larry Abney was rumoured to lead to their downfall), they have turned themselves into a model NBL franchise and now are able to spend more money on their roster in a sustainable way.

Forget the basketball aspect for a moment: sponsors aren't going to pay for involvement in a half empty stadium with tacky game night presentation from a couple of brain-dead radio presenter dropkicks. I couldn't agree more with the Cairns fans who come to town and chant "booooooring" every time a piece of "entertainment" is attempted during a stoppage in play in Townsville.

If Townsville bite the bullet and lower their prices it will be short term pain for a long term gain. More people through the door = greater community awareness of the team (ie. more brand identification with your average joe, which means sponsors gain more benefit from their involvement), a better product come game night (a full, roaring stadium, and more eyes to see that sponsor's banner), and a better product on the floor (a tougher home court advantage). I guess the whole point though is any kind of short term pain right now could put the club under for good.

Reply #381607 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

If it makes you feel any better Mick, there is a decent amount of work going into improving the "entertainment", and it has been realised that it was pretty below par.

Reply #381617 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Spursfan I agree the Crocs are a lock to finish up as one of the top 2 teams.

In QLD

Reply #381717 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Considering QLD had 3 of the top 5 NBL teams last year, and will have two of the top four or five this season (ie. more than any other single state, despite Cairns and Townsville's COMBINED populations being smaller than the next smallest single NBL franchise city), being the second best team in QLD is nothing to sneeze at.

Reply #381747 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Ayeeee fstos I actually thought someone had their head screwed on, but you're just the same as the other guys. We'll check back in in a few month's time.

Reply #381755 | Report this post

Monta Ellis  
Years ago

Can't wait to see the complete Crocs all suited up. Im guessing Paul Woolpert would go with this lineup:

Starting 5 -

Ervin
PC
Todd
Holmes
Abney/Hinder

I don't see why people listed Big Ben as a starting centre, sure he is tall, but from the looks of him in the last NBL season, he didn't have a developed post game, the only thing he does is take set shots between the key and the three point line.Russell coming back from an injured season is another relief, before his injury he showed to be a floor general,boosts the teams morale and energy up quite alot. Im predicting crocs to be around where they were last year with gill and mims at the helm, but they have a serious chance of getting past the semis if they land 3rd heading into the playoffs, assuming the Breakers come up short behind the Wildcats. Townsy can sure win it against a Breakers squad without Gary Wilkinson.

Reply #382565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754