Moses Guthrie
Years ago

36ers v Taipans

Couldn't see a topic re this so starting one. Does anyone know if there's anything pregame? Thanks.

Topic #29643 | Report this topic

Tyrell  
Years ago

I am DEFINITELY NOT a Brad Hill hater, and i think he has done well at cairns, but I think he looks at bit ridiculous in the photo on the nbl website preview for the game:
http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/october/r3-preview-adelaide-36ers-v-cairns-taipans/

He is not Dwight Howard in terms of biceps!!!

Reply #383906 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Look for Brad Hill to continue his great rebounding, especially against the pathetic Adelaide rebounding

Reply #383909 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ingles13, what about his tweeting?

Reply #383911 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hill or Weigh - either one , I don't care
Be interesting to compare.

Reply #383916 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

lots of skill on the court tonight.....hope its a cracker.

Taipans by 3

Reply #383920 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

NBL.TV hooked up to 92 inch projector looks pretty good, hopefully it continues to stream well as per previous two rounds.

To all those having issues not sure why as my home net is only a Telstra pocket wifi 3G and we do not have a fantastic connection 2-3Mbps.

To far out to get ADSL 2+ and some 7-8km from the exchange so even ADSL would probably not be worth the effort.

Go Sixers

Reply #383924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm using Adam WiMax and Stream is Pathetic to say the least! Wasting my time

Reply #383926 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

92" projector? that's impressive DJ!

Thanks to an Apple TV purchase this arvo I'm now on the big screen too. Picture is working well - not HD quality by any means but still easy to watch with no hiccups (touch wood)

Only issueim having is yelling at Luke to go up stronger! He can certainly pass though

Reply #383927 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Haaaaa Jamar Wilson you douche.

1. Flops for a foul (as usual)

2. Physically grabs the ref while he's trying to officiate at the other end.

3. "What'd I do?!! What'd I doooo!!!!!?"

Reply #383928 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Apple TV is on the list of buys to flick it onto the big screen easier than setting up the laptop each time.

Quality not HD but def watchable, enjoying the game especially the 17-5 run to get it back to a couple of points game.

C'mon big red!!

Reply #383929 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

NBL.TV once again providing a terrible stream.

And no responses from their Facebook site to any complaints.

Reply #383930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

your dud(e) Massingale is not contributing...

Reply #383931 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Well kiss my grits. We managed to hold on.

Can't decide between celebrating the Passing and Rebounding we did, or bollocking the turnovers off of Steals.

Reply #383934 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Stirred Schenscher and Cadee up sayen our best 5 was DJ Petrie Weigh Creek Gibson
Weigh's best two 36ers games played his least sixers minutes.

Reply #383937 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Great to see a Sixers team hold on in a close one, even if it really shouldn't have been close.
Some... questionable decisions by the refs at times (any time it looked like we might bust the game open).
Gibson was a cool head to close it out. Maybe could have created more, but was scoring himself.
Schenscher is still soft, but at least was making layups tonight. 10 rebounds and 2 blocks again, consistently getting it done in that area. They looked to try to get him involved early and apart from not being able to catch the ball, he made good position.
Cadee had a nice all round game. 7 assists was encouraging.
Weigh is playing within himself much more this year. I'm a fan again.
DJ is the biggest black hole I've ever seen. Just doesn't ever look to give off.
Petrie battled again. Shocked to see he had 6 turnovers.
Creek was lively in minimal minutes again. Would like to see his minutes increase to 25.
Massingale is, well, pathetic really. Can't hardly hit the ring. Just camps in the corner and waits for them to forget to defend him. Haven't seen him bounce the ball once yet, shoots or passes back.
Crosswell is still the forgotten man. Just doesn't fit in this line-up at all.
Pero did a good job of flashing up on the screen to put off the free throw shooter. That's his role in the team right?

Reply #383944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with NBL TV stream, didnt have a hitch all night. Issue is at your end if having problems.

Reply #383945 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I cant believe Marty Clark brought on Creek to defend Steindl's last shot...that is THE FIRST play I have ever seen him make the 100% correct decision. Weigh got schooled by him tonight and was lucky he started to score himself or his courtime would have been once again controversial. Creek just scared the guy, not a point scored while Creek was on the court. Cadee also did a good job especially with the size difference.

Schensher had a good game and probaly should have played it out rather than DJ who had made alot of bad decisions and shot selection.
Schens clearly benefitted from having some better passes to him, fumbled a few that came into him but had some bad passes to pick up as well..He had some great passes from inside the key, something DJ needs to learn.

Gibson was solid today some weird looking shots that all fell for him..his best looking shot of the night was the airball in the last minute lol.

Good to see the Hill removal once again proven as the correct decision.

Reply #383948 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I missed the tech on Wilson ........ What did he do?

Reply #383952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looked like Wilson was caught behind the play & the ref kinda moved in front of him as he sprinted down the floor. Didn't think it was T worthy.

Reply #383954 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

It looked to me like Wilson thought he was fouled on the drive (but there was no call), and he was mouthing off at the ref the whole way down the floor.

Reply #383956 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Tech was for grading the ref as he ran past.

Reply #383957 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

*Grabbing

Reply #383958 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I knew it was going to be a good game as soon as I saw one of Massingales shots actually hit the ring! :P

Reply #383959 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

My thoughts on tonights game were - Gibson will be massive for us this year. Love his game and he is what we have missed for a long time now. Big Red was alot better and will only get better. Impressed with Cadee and Creek. As for CJ , the poor bloke just looks lost. DJ needs to pass more. All in all though I was happy with the W. Cairns are a pretty good team so to beat them and be 2-1 is great. Oh yeah the Cheerleaders- Very nice !!

Reply #383962 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Your all missing something, schensher dunked the ball tonight, can't even remember the last time I've seen that happen

Reply #383963 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why have we got Massingale?

Reply #383968 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ had second most assists on the team tonight. In fact, second most in the game.

Luke was much improved. Everyone bar Massingale played well, I thought. Refs were poor.

I think we have seven good players when Schenscher is performing and Weigh isn't relied on to force anything. Crosswell just a backup and CJ fighting nerves. That's the funny thing (wouldn't be calling it funny if we lost) - we get CJ as a veteran shooter and he's the most nervous guy out there while Steindl looked like a pro. If he can't get comfortable, he isn't contributing. I'd be instructing him to take it inside and get easier buckets, shake the monkey, then extend from there.

If we had Ng in his place, those shots would've dropped and I think this would be a great team.

One thing I liked about tonight was that we were exploiting lapses in their front court D. Usually it's the other way around. 46 points in the paint to 30. Won the boards.

I honestly think a few poor calls stopped that from being a 10 or so point win.

Edit: Said to friends that we would've been better with Daly out there instead of CJ tonight.

Reply #383970 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I think Luke had a better game than what people give him credit for, i know he had a few stumbles but, 15 pts. 58% FG 10 rebs. 2 blocks 3 ass. 1 stl. in 24:24 Minutes.

If he can keep numbers like that up we will be very hard to beat...

Reply #383971 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

It was good to see Marty use some different combinations on the floor early in the game tonight. I thought he might have been trying out a few new combinations which seemed cool. Particularly bringing Mitch Creek in much earlier and playing Weigh for a few less minutes.
However if he was, he didnt note the results. If he had he would have pushed a running offensive game instead of a tightly structured one.
For a fast paced running game we have a very deep bench, which was not used well tonight and it was an agressive pressure running game which brought us back from way behind putting us back in the game. Marty then pushed a much more agressive defense which was great, but went with an over structured offence which was barely adequate to keep us in front. He doesnt seem to realise that his structures become progressively obvious and easier to defend late in the game.
Schencher should have finished the game coming back on with about 4 mins remaining and Creek should have been in for Cadee at the end.
In the end it was a lucky sucessful 3 point shot from DJ ( his first )in a blocked structured play and an an agressive off balance pressure defended hope shot from Gibson (agressive running play) which gave us the win.
I have to say that sitting in the crowd as a backseat coach we were very lucky to get the win tonight. We got there because of the talent of a few of our players under prtessure which came through despite the seemingly poor and desperate direction from the bench.
Isaac you are quite right, we won from points in the paint for most of the night with Schenscher being a big part of that, but in the end of the last quarter that just became too predictable, and with big Luke on the bench and not involved, we kept putting it in under the ring with failed plays to DJ and another falling to Weigh who fell back to a short range jump shot (missed) instead of taking it in hard to the ring.
We won with a bit of much needed luck tonight. It shouldn't have been that close.
I wouldnt have been surprised if Luke had been subbed in with 30seconds to go. (Like last season, too little too late.)

Nitty Gritty Time for the three year plan. We have the players, but do we have the coach.... Yet?

Marty has recruited some amazing individual talent but seems intent on reducing its effectiveness by controlling and overstructuring rather than maximising it to our benefit.

More mentoring needeed I think!

May need a minor player restructure, recruitment, mid season.

Apologies for having had a few jonnies before posting but I do think we should have come in with 15+ win.

Feel free to citicise my post, I will check later in the day.

Comments!

Reply #383973 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I am not sure how much longer we will continue to babysit massingale... he just doesnt look up to the job. I sit close enough to see these guys expressions and mannerisms, I can just see he is riddled in nerves and is so very unsure of himself. He was recruited to replace Darren Ng's outside shooting ability I believe, but he is yet to hit a shot of any kind this season.. and although he hasnt seen alot of the ball... He has had a few oppurtunities now, and has shown No killer instinct at this level.. is a shadow of what we see in the SEABL highlights... The clocks ticking on him... and I wouldnt be surprised if he wasnt dropped in the next fortnight if he doesnt start providing SOMETHING... he hasnt shot well, hasnt provided assists, hasnt rebounded, theres been nothing that you can say that Massingale has been any more help with then a ghost on the court.. so, sadly, as nice a guy as I think he probably is... he just might not have a role in the NBL...

Reply #383975 | Report this post

Years ago

daly or even doyle would be worth a run.

i was surprised how goos steindl was - used to watch him on ESPN playing for st marys - no doubt a superior competition produces quality players - steindl knew what to do when the heat was on and could ice the big trey.

Reply #383985 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

As a Crocs fan who had to endure two years of 5 rebounds per game and half a block from Schenscher, I am scratching my head as to how has he suddenly turned into a defensive beast!!

Good for the Sixers. People whinging and expecting him to carry the team have never seen him play before. He's not that kind of guy. He will always miss a few gimmies at the rim, and he's never going to go up strong on offense. Get used to it.

That stat line is nothing to scoff at. Plus his mere presence on the floor frees up other guys.

Reply #383987 | Report this post

Bullet  
Years ago

A bit disappointed with Wilson down the stretch, thought he could beat anyone and everyone every time. Might have been interesting if had considered dishing off instead of going alone. If the snakes are going to go further he needs to learn the snakes have other options other than just him.

Reply #383989 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bullet, I thought the Sixers defended Wilson well when he penetrated late in the game. Everyone contributed there too.

Loved Creek steal Hill's inbounds pass and Luke blocked and stealing another time.

Mick, Luke's played a season in Adelaide before. We've seen quality scoring games, 20 boards (from memory), outclassing Anstey, etc. He can do it and Adelaide fans love seeing a hometown big score old school with those hooks.

Reply #383992 | Report this post

Bullet  
Years ago

Yes they did defend him very well but he made it a bit easier for them with his lack of options. Still was a good game and a good 36ers win.

Reply #383993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Luke had another horrible offensive start to the game, dropping balls and missing lay-ups, but he didnt drop his bundle and ended up with a good one.

He's not really a drop it in the low block and watch him score guy, it's about getting him the ball in good spots, particularly with separation from his man because he isnt strong enough to bang.

I agree with Mick, his defensive start to the year has been a big improvement on previous seasons.

Reply #383996 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Luke is looking very clumsy at times. Need to go to Specsavers?

Reply #383998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that it jack?what about Marty?

Reply #384007 | Report this post

Years ago

luke did a great give and go from the top

Reply #384011 | Report this post

Years ago

i thought luke was good - got to look at how he is given the ball and we looked inside to him when he was well covered early.

thought gibson and cadee were the difference

Reply #384012 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ayjay, I'm surprised to see you saying that Marty was pushing too much of a structured offence rather than a running game. Watching the first half, Gibson and Cadee were pushing the ball every chance they got. They interviewed Gibbo at half time and he said the game plan was to run the ball!

Did anyone else try to watch this game on replay on NBL TV? My feed was fine up until the end of the 3rd quarter and then the coverage just ended and went back to the start of the game! Anyone else have this problem?

Reply #384016 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing Isaac about Ng. In this team he would be well suited as we have players who take it to the rack and he could just be nailing threes. I havent seen anything good with CJ yet. Still early but he looks all at sea. Hope he comes good !

Reply #384033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ is half the price of NG though, base wage!

Reply #384046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Isaac alluded to we've seen it before with Schenscher at the 36ers. He averaged what 17ppg & 11rpg last time (admittedly 48 min games)? And outplayed MVP-level Anstey all three times that season.

Mick yes Schenscher averaged 5.3rpg last season but just under 7rpg the year before that at Townsville.

Reply #384047 | Report this post

Louie  
Years ago

NBL tv replay of this game is not workng :/

Reply #384049 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Supprised no one noticed a piece of NBL history that occured during the game. Yes I watched the replay to confirm it. Schenscher used his left hand to shoot the ball. Only once though.

Reply #384058 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Sorry forget to add. It missed.

Reply #384059 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'046, double wage would be worth it at this point. Ng hit shots and wasn't afraid.

Like I said, get Massingale any bucket possible to open the account. Until he's hitting shots, we might as well play Daly.

Reply #384065 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Massingale needs to go for an easy two or a lay up. Banging up three's when your as nervous as he is is just making him struggle more and more.
Big difference between him and Ng is the exp in the NBL, Massingale knows he is playing for his only chance and its just killing him.
This is what Clark is supposed to be good at so its a bit dissapointing he is still so uncomfortable on the court.

Reply #384074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I recorded a video of the Wilson tech. Audio's a bit scratchy, will try to fix for next game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yucCORPjOxA

Reply #384122 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great footage there. It is bizarre that he ran into the umpire like he did.

Reply #384165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, he was grabbing him (not in a malicious way) to get his attention and process the call. If the ref is, as he was, calling the game, you can't do something like that.

Reply #384182 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

I agre Isaac
he distracted the ref from doing his job of calling the game by grabbing him from behind.
Situation warranted that result , as for some of the other calls ....well

Reply #384191 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I was surprised that Massingale took as many shots as he did considering he nailed none of them. As a coach, I would have subbed him off long before he had that opportunity. If he is paid half of Ng's salary, I would expect atleast half of Ng's contribution. He may have only played 3 games in this competition but he has had plenty of training with this team to put aside some of those nerves. I don't know the guy and I don't doubt that he would be a very nice guy but we can't afford to lose close games due to turnovers from missed shots. This game was a very close game that could have easily gone the other way.

Reply #384236 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, how's he going to get game confidence without taking and hopefully making shots in games? It's like an investment. Closeness of that game was on the refs, IMO. e.g., jump ball called when the Cairns player was out of bounds?!

Massingale's situation is odd for a veteran, but it reminds me a little of Ballinger coming back from injury and having those very tentative games, seeming to avoid his usual shots and so on.

Reply #384238 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

I would like to see CJ hit some shots, something i think is only a matter of time.

Right now he stretches the D as the scout on him is that his shot has to be respected. If that changes and the D sags, then he has more space and time to get some confidence builders up.

Right now he is in a win win situation

Most importantly the team and the coaches still believe he is contributing in a positive way. Also keep in mind that he is an insurance policy of sorts too. If any other of the parts gets injured it allows the team to cut CJ cheaply and replace with the more immediate need.

Reply #384252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

From the rule book:

23.2.3 If a player(s) move(s) to out-of-bounds or to his backcourt during a held ball, a jump ball situation occurs.

That jump ball call was correct, but there were other calls there that could have gone either way. Fortunately, the way of the 36ers!

We havent had luck for the last 2-3 years, those calls always seemed to go against us. A bit of luck can go a long way.

Reply #384256 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

36ers got bailed out when the refs inexplicably failed to make the call on DJ on the last possession.

Was disappointing to see that anti climactic finish to a great game

Reply #384343 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'256, did the player start within the court before stepping out? Someone closer to the action than me said he thought they were out.

Reply #384353 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The players were both in bounds when they held the ball. The Cairns player stepped out after what could be considered sufficient time to call the ball-up. Borderline that one.

Reply #384355 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I just thought he took too many shots. In situations like that, someone has to decide when enough is enough. It just seemed to go on for too long with no result. Also I covered the nerves situation by saying he has spent time training with the team. I would have thought that would have yielded a better result. Hope Clarke has got something up his sleeve to help him improve, because his confidence will go backwards if he doesn't make his shots. Its still early days and I am prepared to give him a go but he needs to be monitored carefully.

Reply #384405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754