Anonymous
Years ago

Brett Brown Resigns as Boomers Coach

Brett has just announced his resignation as boomers coach. Who will step in now Bevo has to be favourite doesn't he?
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/brett-brown-resigns-as-boomers-coach-20121029-28f13.html

Topic #29792 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

Just announced on Fox Sports News.
Did not see that coming! Please not Shane Heal.

Reply #385136 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Not shane heal or Marty Clarke for crying out loud. Andre Lemanis

Reply #385139 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Natural progression would be Lemanis. Hopefully it's Lemanis.

Reply #385141 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

NOoooooooooooooo! He is a great job in the Olympics - real shame. Think he is a very good coach

Reply #385143 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Lemanis I hope... If they some how have an aneurysm and give the position to Marty Clarke I may commit suicide

Reply #385144 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

How could Clarkes name be mentioned here? Am i missing something?

Reply #385145 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Give the job to Carrie Graf, she has stuffed the Opals around for years.

Reply #385146 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Orbit - Marty Clark was an Assistant Coach in London along with Lemanis.

Reply #385149 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Should BA recruit internationally for best candidate ala the Socceroos or go for someone local like Bevo?

Reply #385150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gordie

Reply #385151 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopefully Lemanis gets the nod. Done great things with the Breakers, helped turn around the club on and off the court and all the players speak very highly of him.
Otherwise go for a Graham Henry/Steve Hansen combo of Lemanis/Bevo.
Both get the most out of their players and have the ability to coach their teams back into a contest when it isn't going their way.

Reply #385154 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Yes: Bevo, Lemanis, some American or European coach of note

Maybe: Guy Molloy, Brian Goorjian, Tom Maher

NO WAY: most of the current NBL coaches

Reply #385155 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Is Dunlap in the conversation? Must be doing something right if he got an NBA gig.

Reply #385156 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

And before you get all bent out of shape, I know he's an American...

Reply #385157 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

GOOD - Lemanis, Gordie, Beveridge.all have assistant coach experience in the Boomers.

WTF ?? - Heal, Clarke, both have assistant coach experience in the Boomers

UNBELIEVABLE (but could be very funny) Graf, Timms, Maher ( I remember his time in the NBL - not so good there !)

Reply #385158 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

accidental early post above - sorry

GOOD - Lemanis, Gordie, Beveridge. all have assistant coach experience in the Boomers.

PERFECT !! - (But only in their own mind) Heal, Clarke, (both have assistant coach experience in the Boomers)+ Bruce Palmer,Scott Fischer

back to the past - Gorj !!!!

UNBELIEVABLE (but could be very funny) Graf, Timms, Maher ( I remember his time in the NBL - not so good there !)

Reply #385159 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Final word - The name least likely to be mentioned , but actually a coaching legend who has rarely underperformed internationally or in the NBL would be Dr Adrian Hurley. ( the only time he did it tough was when some boomer players were immature and underdisciplined - would never happen now).

Reply #385160 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

For mine it's Bevo plain and simple. Most of the current team are his world championship juniors from 2003. Let him have a crack with them at senior level.

Reply #385161 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it will come down to Beveridge and Lemanis. Whichever of them gets it should take McLeod and Fearne as assistants.

I am leaning towards Bevo as my personal favourite but hear Lemanis has been working hard as he has known for some time there would be a job available, probably making him the favourite.

They both have international experience and both play a good mix of Aussie/FIBA ball with their club teams so either would be a good choice.

Reply #385170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Paul said. Bevo with Gordie and Fearne as assistants is ideal. All well respected by players, can get their teams to overachieve, have the integrity to not play favourites and will call people out when needed without humiliating them.

Reply #385183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo's game style of trapping and matchup zones would be our only chance of snaring a medal because it is different from other power teams and may cause an upset.

Lemanis is a good half court coach but needs to have an equal or more talented roster for his style to be effective.

Reply #385184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Gleeson? Seems like a good fit IMO, and he gets on great with Bevo. That'd be a great coaching pair.

Reply #385188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Gleeson? Seems like a good fit IMO, and he gets on great with Bevo. That'd be a great coaching pair.

Reply #385189 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Would love 2 see Goorgian back. Lemanis is a good option cos most his side are kiwis. We dont want Bevo filling the team with Wildcats! Gordie also capable. Gleeson as 36er coach & asst. Fearne needs to get some wins on the board & help with defensive strategy (though marty needed no wins.)

Reply #385198 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I have to agree that having an NBL coach as coach is risky... look what brian G did with the whole russel hinder/luke kendall thing? neither of thoes guys were players that should have ever worn the green and gold but they did.. If you get Bevo you might have Damien Martin, wagstaff and redhage as starters for all you know. I liked having an NBA coach which would look at the talent on hand un=bias... we need to look at NBA coaches or Australian coaches in COllege systems first I think

Reply #385202 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

long term commitment from both sides will be a key. BA needs to find a coach they can work with in a long term relation.

The coaching years have to be solid.

Reply #385207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brendan Joyce.

Or out of the blue - Scott Fisher

Reply #385208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stacks

Reply #385211 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Frank arsego someone with exp c ompletely left of centre and someone with unlimited time with no other coaching commitments.

We need someone with complete commitment to the program withoutany ties at all

Reply #385215 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Frank arsego someone with exp c ompletely left of centre and someone with unlimited time with no other coaching commitments.

We need someone with complete commitment to the program withoutany ties at all

Reply #385216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definately bevo and or lemanis. dont agree with orbit he wont pick a bunch of wildcats, while martin, wagstaff and knight are good players they arent top 12. bevos history with juniors will help him develop the younger players.

Reply #385222 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Stacker

Reply #385223 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

How about The General? Phil Smyth would be a perfect Boomers coach.

Reply #385225 | Report this post

Lol  
Years ago

How did that work out last time?

Oh thats right. We didnt even qualify for the worlds because we lost to New Zealand.

And how does Stackers name come up when he never won at NBL level over multiple teams and multiple years.

Gotta be Bevo or Lemanis if we cant get someone from OS.

Reply #385230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both programs need some change. Preferably from overseas. we have been coaching the same way with either the original or clones for 20+ years. Everything they do i predicable and has been seen before. Lets get around the idea that we need something to change to do better.

Reply #385233 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Bevo and Lemanis - potentially a great team - and maybe with Gordo or Fearne as an assistant.

Can anyone explain why Marty Clarke is an assistant coach anyway? He seems to be a good player development coach, but wouldn't you need a strategy whiz rather than a player development coach in the Boomers?

Reply #385235 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

What's to say Marty isn't? You don't get picked as an assistant for fun.

The Breakers stuck with Lemanis through the early stages, when the Breakers struggled. How'd that pay off?

It takes time to change a culture of a club.

Reply #385237 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I REALLY hope Bevo is made Head Coach. The guy has shown at the AIS & NBL that he is all class. Makes great coaching decisions & develops guys. He has respect internationally, having coached at the Nike Hoops Summit for a number of years & he has huge respect from the current Boomers, having coached many at the AIS.

Also, I think his time at the unfortunate Sydney Spirit showed that he was able to lead and coach through difficult and less than ideal times.

Reply #385242 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bevo would be my choice. He knows the international game but will give us an Aussie point of difference that will upset other teams' rhythm.

That's an important part that both Goorjian and Brown worked out at the end of their stints, and I think having a coach who understands that from the start would be a big positive.

Reply #385243 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Bevo would be the best option but if ba has some money to spend on a great coach they should chase Phil Jackson

Reply #385246 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

If you haven't already seen it - read Boty's Blog on this and his overwhelming reason for bringing back Goorjian.
And before people start making comments - READ THE BLOG - and then challenge his reasoning.

Reply #385250 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Brown may have been forced to quit as Sean Marks may not have okayed his time off lol.

Reply #385261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro made a funny!

Reply #385267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever is appointed, I trust they dont take lessons from some of the previous coaches who have treated some of the players poorly at the Olympics. Example: when well down against the USA, Brown could not find any minutes for Gibson etc to have some joy of playing against the best in the World and as a thanks for the effort put into the team. Same happened to Maher and Cattalini who were the form NBL players at the time but received very little court time in preference to Heal etc who played whether he was playing well or not! Note to new coach - please treat your players with some consideration and give them the international experience they deserve - especially when the game is lost or in the bag !

Reply #385272 | Report this post

Rhea 91  
Years ago

lol at the guy who said phil jackson

Reply #385276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo never coached the AIS. He was the scholarship coach years ago. He coached the Under 19s to a Gold in 2003 and coached the Nike World Select team at the Hoops Summit.

Reply #385278 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I dont see why the Phil Jackson comment is so funny, stranger things have happened.. he cant get a job right now this might be a challenge he would like... I think they should make the call atleast. And I agree about gorjian... hes the next in line if we cant geta phil jackson miracle

Reply #385279 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

More chance of Phil Smyth than Phil Jackson.

he cant get a job right now

I'm pretty sure he could get a job right now, but seems quite happily retired. Montana is a long way from Oz.

Reply #385280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't agree with Boti about Goorjian. I just remember him looking lost on the sideline as oppositions ran over us. He was undoubtedly a great NBL coach, maybe even the greatest but I don't think his system translated well to the international game. Maybe he's picked up a few new tricks in China.

Of all the options though, only he & Beveridge have real experience internationally

Reply #385282 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goorjian ran four or five different systems as Boomers coach. The 06 one was good for the limited cattle he had, while I thought how they finished playing in Beijing was pretty close to the money.

I personally dont see a reason to go back though, he was definitely a good Boomers coach towards the end but not a great one.

Reply #385285 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

yes for Phil Jackson. he may have a huge price tag but who knows he might give it a go for a bargain, for a change.

i once saw him wandering alone around Sydney CBD few years ago as a tourist.

**just a wishful thinking ")

Reply #385306 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

When it comes to Phil Jackson, just ask for the sake of asking.. whats the worst hes gonna say? No?

Reply #385308 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Brett Brown Resigns as Boomers Coach? He must have heard of the dire trouble the 36ers are in. Brett, hope you've booked your flights to Adelaide real soon. No time to waste here. There is still a championship up for grabs.

Reply #385311 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Have to admit I forgot about our non-qualification the last time Smyth coached. I think its something people try to forget....

Who is available and actually has experience, if not at international level but at least in the NBL? Sounds like Andrej Lemanis might be the best bet. Can't knock his record with the Breakers.

Reply #385317 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'm gonna have to laugh out loud to at the Phil Jackson comments. I mean, c'mon, seriously?

Whilst I believe Goorjian probably deserved another four years, I can't see BA turning back the clock to bring him in. Especially now with him being based in China and not having any real exposure to Australian players on a regular basis.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, there are three standout candidates at the moment - Beveridge, Lemanis and McLeod.

I personally would like to see Bevo get the nod. He's familiar with the core of the group having coached a lot of them at junior level, whilst also being an assistant to some of Goorjian's Boomers teams, he understands the current landscape of international basketball, and has a system that's a bit different to the norm. And more importantly, his teams play their guts out every single minute of the game.

Reply #385323 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Not saying Phil Smyth should be given a go, but for the record that team was one of the worst Boomers squads that I have ever seen. Gaze, Heal, Bradtke, and Longley had all hung up their boots.

Reply #385332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not trying to defend Smyth but this was the 2000 Sydney Olympic team:

Gaze
Heal
Longley
Bradtke
Vlahov
Grace
Anstey
Rogers
MacKinnon
Smith
Cattalini
Maher

These were the players from that team available for selection the following year against NZ:

Maher

Reply #385337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...maybe some of them resigned because of who the coach was?

Reply #385344 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

That was our best line up ever that 2000 team... if they used the bench properly they would have medalled I believe

Reply #385346 | Report this post

juno18  
Years ago

Now that the Olympic team is nearly all overseas players, may suit Goorjian better.
Can't see that squad changing soon altho believe Martin may get in over Gibson.Nielsen maynot retire?
PC will be replaced by someone in Europe or College IMO.

Reply #385350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...maybe some of them resigned because of who the coach was?

Gaze, Heal, Longley, Bradtke, Grace & Vlahov all retired at the conclusion of that Olympic Games (under the retiring Barry Barnes) so nah.

Rogers was going to play in the 2001 series against NZ but got injured just before it but pretty sure Anstey, MacKinnon, Smith & Cattalini made themselves unavailable for selection.

Heal came out of international retirement in 2002 after Goorjian became the new coach.

Reply #385357 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I think you're right about saying that all those guys retired at the same time. And there could have been at least one guy leaving the program because of Smyth.

My problem with Smyth losing that series was that despite losing the core group from the Sydney Olympics, the core group of guys coming through had won a Silver as U19's & Gold as U23's. It was supposed to be the team that would take us to medal contention.

From memory too, I don't think that Mackinnon was available (Saville playing the 2?? is that right). Then of course, sure, there is debate that Rillie or Harvey should've been there.

Reply #385358 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

and the Tall Blacks squad went on to Finish 4th at the WC's in 02

Reply #385361 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Found this.
Smyth's 2001 Boomers

1. D-mac
2. Maher
3. Saville
4. Nielsen
5. Melmeth

6. McGregor
7. Egan
8. Moore
9. Knight
10. Dench

11. Nash (left out of 10 man team)
12. Rogers (late injury)

That lineup is terrible. The bench is horrid, and thank F#$% Nash was left out! Rogers would have helped a lot.

Reply #385362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about Harvey but I do remember some controversy over the non-selection of Rillie.

However it's fair to say Smyth had bugger all to pick from and in fairness did well to only lose 2-1 to a NZ side that went on to finish 4th at the WC's the following year.

Reply #385370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about Harvey but I do remember some controversy over the non-selection of Rillie.

However it's fair to say Smyth had bugger all to pick from and in fairness did well to only lose 2-1 to a NZ side that went on to finish 4th at the WC's the following year.

Reply #385371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All 3 games were in NZ too.

Reply #385372 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Yeah, when you look back at that 2001 Boomers squad, with the fortune of hindsight knowing that NZ finished 4th in the world in 2002, you realise that perhaps he didn't do that bad of a job. But the shock of losing the series at the time, regardless of the squad, meant that he had to fall on his sword.

Reply #385374 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Smyth came in at a tough time but made his own bed by picking an experimental line-up with only two guards for the Oceania series and playing Sav some PG from memory.

Shame, because I think Phil could have been a good Boomers coach with a full line-up.

Reply #385391 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree Paul. And for reasons part Phil's fault, and part not his doing, we'll never know for sure.

Reply #385394 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

No to Brian G, I can't stand listening to his horrible voice. ALLL RRIGHT

Reply #385504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So either the bookies at Sportsbet know something the rest of us don't or they have a very cruel sense of humour listing Marty Clarke at the same odds as Beveridge to get the Boomers gig:
http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/basketball-aus-other/basketball-specials/Next-Boomers-Head-Coach-466101.html

Gee I hope it's the latter!

Seriously, what are these guys smoking? Not only do they have Clarke at the same odds as Bevo but they then then put Shane Heal ahead of Goorjian & have Gaze not far behind.

Reply #385556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754