KracKa BballiN'
Years ago

SIXERS v KINGS, Dec 2nd

Big game today for both teams, Kings coming off a lose to Perth and Sixers suffering a much predicted and a little embarrasing lose to the Crocs. Kings will be looking to Madgen to fire up after a quiet one against Perth. Will big Luke be the sixers target down low like their last meeting with the kings? Will Bruce be fallin and floppin all over the court?
A must win for the Sixers if they want to be considered a contender and not pretender. A big croud makin noise for the boys will make a difference so get out there guys. Ill be there, and im goin sixers by 8

Topic #30088 | Report this topic

Hurls  
Years ago

not to spam it up, but there will be ome great game chatter at the 360 degrees facebook for thoes interested

http://www.facebook.com/threesixdegrees

Reply #389784 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well, what a shock that was against the Crocs. Who would have thought the bottom team could have beaten the Sixers?

The Slippery Kings have landed and are primed up. Surely they didn't fly Perth to Sydney on Saturday and then back here on Sunday. A stopover in Adelaide on Saturday will give them plenty of time for a Premium Wine Tour around this state or go to A Day On The Green, as well as give time for Mrs Madgen to do Ben's washing.

Seems they way to control the Kings is to control Madge. The way to control the Sixers?

This is another one of those games that the Sixers should win, but could just as easily lose. Shane Heal is getting the best out of players when he needs to and while the Sixers should, the Kings could.

Reply #389785 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Prediction : Sixers by 8, no Sack Marty Threads for another 7 days starting today.

Reply #389790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers will bounce back and win. Give us hope, then tear us down again.

Reply #389793 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So. 36ers cbf playing any defence today.

Reply #389805 | Report this post

Years ago

On free to air tv

Reply #389806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any danger big red could stop soooking and just play

Reply #389808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SACK MARTY NOW!!!!

Reply #389809 | Report this post

Years ago

Shoulder is hurting a bit more than letting on - IMO

Reply #389810 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Gibson should have been benched for the rest of the game after the Tech. Hell I would consider not playing him for the next 2 games. Winning is not everything, there appears to be rules for some in the team which don't apply to the whole team.

Weigh's last quarter was dreadful. Not sure what the young Mitch Creek is doing wrong off the court, however you can't justify his time on the bench this season when Cadee and Weigh seem to get minutes for nothing.

Reply #389811 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Disgraceful coaching effort. Awful defense. Hated everything about the 36ers today. Way to keep the fans away

Reply #389812 | Report this post

Years ago

That is b m shoulder injury

Reply #389813 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

Massingale did good last time against the Kings but again gets no playing time after the half. Time for Marty to go now.

Reply #389814 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Are the Sixers allergic to guarding any dribble penetration? LOL

Reply #389815 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Massingdale is treated like Ng was. Comes into the game when we are in foul trouble and Marty is stuck for a sub. Hits 12 points in 8 minutes, then doesn't see the court again for another 3 games.

Considering Massingdale went apesh1t in his last game at the BMC, you would have though he would have got on when we were 20 points down in the first half.

I like the bigs tonight, pitty we didn't just keep feeding it in there.

Dann scores 5/5. That just shows what our defence was doing tonight.

Reply #389816 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Why did Clarke instruct Gibson and croswell to intentionally foul in a multiple possession game when only down one score?? Had me seriously shaking my head.

Reply #389817 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The 36ers are really missing a Boucher type of player.

Reply #389819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke played Crosswell far too much, especially down the stretch. Defense was able to sag off him and without the ability to penetrate and shoot/dish Adelaide effectively played a man short on offence. Surely Massingale/Cadee/Creek could have come on much earlier when the game was still to be won.

Reply #389820 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

Cause Clarke is a crap coach lol. How many star players do you need on your team to win a game?

Seems to reward players who do nothing with good minutes.

Reply #389821 | Report this post

Nba agent  
Years ago

Horrible defensive structure they have implamented. Need to play more up and in full court basketball. Marty seems to be trying to teach and get them playing a way that doesn't suit the players he has. A very bad weekend for the sixers need to start gettin their heads together.

Reply #389822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad I didn't fork out 30 dollars to watch that garbage

Reply #389823 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Clarke still obviously rattled from not being asked about Cadee in Paulo Kennedy's article.

Reply #389824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also beating Perth means absolutely nothing when we lose to Melbourne by 30 then Townsville and now Sydney . Don't understand why they played such weak defense all game except for the final 30 seconds when they decided to put on full court pressure with a bit of intensity . Great

Reply #389825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another pathetic loss. Did you see that 2nd quarter. Just some things on the comments I have seen. Not play Gibson for 2 games? The guy that nearly single handedly won us the last 2 games? haha.
Sydney did everything they could to give us this one. Couldn't understand the fouling on a one possession game either.
By the way, Cadee has been sick, hence the Croswell minutes.

Reply #389826 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Hey Marty, Split line help. 2 or more passes away get on help? So glad this is on free to air as I don't have to pay to watch that crap... Johnson, leave your friggin shorts alone and stop sooking... Season over if they lose there next 2... if it is not already.

Reply #389827 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Marty Clarke and Mart Radford RIP.

Reply #389828 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Give this squad to Bevo or Lemanis and you wouldn't have a lost a game yet.

Reply #389829 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Agreed Mick, its so obvious what needs to be done and what discipline they lack...

How Clarke sees this season out now, would take a miracle. Dont make this a Chappelle situation where they take too long to pull the trigger. These 2 losses are totally unacceptable and heads must roll.

Reply #389830 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Always liked Johnson but this was one of his worst games despite his points total. Just horrible. Croswell should be getting 5 mins a game max. Creek and CJ need more minutes. Does anyone else get annoyed at Radford just looking at him? It's just a very unlikeable team with an unlikeable coaching panel, playing unlikeable basketball. No wonder the fans don't come

Reply #389831 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Think you need to add Gordie to that shortlist Mick.

Some truly terrible patches in that game by the Sixers. Inexcusable defensive lapses at times and out of control offense by Johnson. For all his great skill and tools he just has zero IQ from what I can tell. Reminds me of a junior who is on a $ a point from his dad. He just has NFI when to just give the ball up. I doubt I have ever seen a more frustrating player.

Reply #389832 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Was wondering why Creek was not played more for some extended pressure d. Cadee was clearly ill, whenever he came out he was blowing hard. We just throw opportunities away to move up the ladder, 2 Perth wins followed by 2 crap losses.

Reply #389837 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I to quote Ken Cole, if I had to sum up this weekend? They were horrible, just plain horrible. The 36ers really did let themselves and us fans down this weekend. We went 0-2 against teams we really should have gone 2-0 against, especially since the first game was against a team who's record going in was 0-10, and the second game was at home against a side we've not only beaten this season but who got mauled on Friday night in Perth.

The only bright spots for the weekend? Adam Gibson in both games and DJ and Luke Schenscher this afternoon.

Twelve turnovers to five definitely hurt today. So did being beaten on the boards 36-33. And the less I say about the refs the better (there may be children reading this).

And I have to ask, what is Marty Clarke trying to do to Mitch Creek? He only played 2:31 today on top of his 13:13 on Friday night (while Clarke's love child Stephen Weigh played 30:25 and 33:28 in the same games, and would have had more today if he didn't foul out). Even Tom Daly got more court time (3:55).

Reply #389838 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

At least my prediction was half right...no sack Marty threads.

Reply #389839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HIghlight Schenscher? He missed so many foul shots down the strecth when they almost got it back. Terrible.

Reply #389850 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He was 2 of 4.... had 18 and 10 credit where its due. Amazing what happens when you play decent players something that looks like consistent minutes.

Reply #389851 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anyone heard of Help D?

Was Creek sick?

Reply #389852 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

So in doubt was I about today's game that I told my wife the Kings would win by 5 as we sat in our seat.

There are critical things amiss within the team; discipline, understanding, leadership, and unity. This I believe falls on the head of the coach.

I'll continue to support the team but as much as I've wanted to really embrace this season's playing group I'm yet to be convinced this team is on the same page or that some want to be. It's all subjective I know, but this team doesn't captivate me they way I believe they could.

My observations, whether right or wrong are:

•Gibbo, Peach and Munga clearly have a bond and look comfortable with each other;
•Schenscher and Crosswell endeavour to do the team thing (yet often let themselves down with errors);
•Weigh does the coach's bidding;
•DJ does his own thing; and
•Creek and CJ are great team guys but get little opportunity to do anything on the court.

Nevertheless pencil in a win next week. I've come to the realisation that, so his mates (Marty and Mark) stay employed, Bevo lets the Sixers win. There's a consipracy theory that everyone is welcome to borrow :).

MacD, I believe Peach can play that Boucher role but with a much better offensive upside.

One last thing: "Ken grab the whiteboard and destroy it" - Something I was tempted to suggest to Ken Cole as he walked past the Sixers bench just before half time.

Yeah, something needs to change and while I don't agree with the simplicity of calling for a coach to be sacked I think I've made it pretty clear where I think a change is required.

Hopefully I'll see everyone there next Sunday but every week I notice the crowd is just a little bit smaller and the number of empty seats increase.

Reply #389853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigAds - so on the money with that description. I'm confused as to why Marty allows DJ to do his own thing. he's the NBL's DeMarcus Cousins.

Reply #389858 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

What I thought I saw - at first, our two 7 footers with Gibson were gonna have their way.
Cadee was flat and shouldn't have played.
The other guy is always a slow starter - gotta conserve for big minutes rather than take the sub.
Seems Gibson would guard Madgen and that other guy
who's not much at guarding , would guard Bruce . Seems Bruce won of course.

Reply #389863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After two losses to a winless crocs and Sydney kings,I very much doubt sixers will make the finals,if they can beat Perth ,why can't they beat Townsville .We have 3 home games to come,Perth Townsville New Zealand if we don't win 2,we will have a hard run ahead.

Just use Clarke til the season end then get rid of him when sixers don't make finals,we have a talented lineup,yet to gel,give everyone a run than rely on starters to play full quarter,use of daly was good,if Cadee was sick,then rest him,if creek was injured then use other players,not today.

Reply #389864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You halfwts with the "where's sack Marty threads" should realise the truth hurts,it needs to be done. Man the @$?& UP.

Reply #389868 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Gee doesn't Bruce & Madgen like playing against the 36ers! Pretty pathetic that no-one on the 36ers could stop Bruce driving directly at the basket for a score or dish to Dann or Lazare! Karma Bus keeps coming back at the 36ers!

Reply #389869 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Just use Clark till the end of the season...are you nuts!!!

Get us a real coach now and save the season. Make DJ accountable for his lack of effort and defence. The guy should be a 30 point per game player but has massive brain fades and a complete lack of effort for much of the game. Serious waste of talent and one of the most frustrating players I have ever watched. He needs Petrie or Schenscher to draw players away from him to create his offence. Just could be crazy dominant!!

CJ comes into the game after 2 players foul out and has to perform after sitting on the bench for 20 minutes...uhhhu great rotations!!!

Weigh...this guy is the most pathetic captain this club has had, no inspiration, no guts and he never takes the game on or leads the team to a win. He played 5 hard minutes today where he was what he should be..and 30minutes of crap.

Schenscher had another great team game, fumbles at the start were frustrating and great to see him dunk it afterwards to make sure it went in. Cadee uses him so well and creates a lot of Schenschers scoring opportunities..Gibson still passes to his knees!

There is no leadership, no desire and no desperation and this all comes down to the Coach. I'm sick of writing for 2 1/2yrs that he should be sacked. JUST DO IT

Reply #389870 | Report this post

PLEASE  
Years ago

please please PLEASE PLAY MITCK CREEK THE GUY IS A TALENT HE GIVES YOU ENERGY HE PENTREATES HE PLAYS
D

THATS A CAPITAL D

Reply #389877 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

The problem is Luke and DJ are too similar in that both are soft and not great rebounders, both need to learn to hold onto the ball as both get stripped too easily. Luke should never leave the paint as is way too slow as once Bruce or Henry split him and cadee the middle was clear. Dj and luke Should never be on at the same tiime for extended minutes, give Petrie more time and he will give his all and give the team some toughness.

Cadee played terrible and shouldn't have played. Cross well played well in my opinion as he is so crafty and our offence had so much more motion when he was on, if only he could shoot, he clearly got in Henry's head and had an impact.

I said when weigh fouled out Clarke should put in Petrie to grab the board than call a time out and advance it but no w Lazard grabs the board and its pretty much game over.

Umpires bad and nbl is getting ugly to watch as way too much contact but then they pick soft stuff. Gibbo got held all night and Bruce and Henry react when they get ticked and its a foul.

Disappointing game, bad time slot - 130 Sunday games sux....

Reply #389878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is Luke and DJ are too similar in that both are soft and not great rebounders, both need to learn to hold onto the ball as both get stripped too easily.

You realise both DJ (7.9rpg) & Schenscher (7.0rpg) are in the Top 6 in the league in rebounding this season?

Reply #389885 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

For their size they aren't great rebounders. They don't explode to the ball and don't box out we'll. they dont seem to fight for it and really want it. I haven't looked at stats but I'd say we would give up a lot of offensive boards. they are ok rebounders not great so I stand by my comment.

Reply #389890 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't at the game, so going by the result, stats and comments on here.

BigAds, if you don't change coach, what do you change? If you change starters or rotation, surely that's an option that's been available to the coaches all along?

The other thing is that if particular players are problematic, we're deep enough that we can play them in certain roles or limit their damage. Same goes with covering for illness. Same goes with reversing bad habits of past rosters - we could almost put a solid five out there (Cadee, Gibson, Massingale, Petrie, Schenscher) who are new to the program.

Close results sure, and harsh saying it after having not seen the most recent game, but I'd be putting a change of coach very seriously on the table right now before a season with a useful roster is thrown away.

Shouldn't have been close up in Townsville if this is a contender, and shouldn't have been digging our way out of a hole against a team who'd been thrashed and had to travel too.

Reply #389892 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

Gotta give heal credit his team plays like a team and really tries. I sit right behind the opposition and his messages were clear and controlled. Surprised me with his coaching ability and how his team has been going.

Note his team comment, it's martys team so unfortunately it's his head on the chop..

I thought it was interesting cole said in a few years the sixes will be back to the powerhouse they used to be. Martys contracts up then so maybe he will be right.

Reply #389893 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am a big fan of Gibson and thrilled to have him on our team, but he cost us the game today with his Tech foul despite his high score. The Tech cost the team 4 points in a game that was lost by 3. Basketball is a team sport and it means nothing for an individual to score 20 plus points when you let the team down like that. I know frustration can hit boiling point when the refs allow the opposition to molest you the way they do with no calls made, but in professional sport, discipline is vital.

Reply #389894 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I couldn't agree more. What's more valuable at this stage of the season, the great roster or the coach?

Reply #389899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skid,SOS group won't sack Marty at this point of time.next few weeks be the test!

Reply #389904 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I brought 4 first timers with me this week - and wanted to apologise to each of them.

Never thought I'd get to the point I could take or leave my seats to a game - it's just too frustrating.

WTF did Mitch Creek do to deserve 2m 30secs of play whilst Weigh has 30 mins to find any shooting touch?

Creek was outscoring Weigh for over a half... from the bench.

Reply #389905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait, why is Tom Daly even getting court time? I thought he wasnt even a fully listed active player?

Mitch Creek who provides a lot of explosiveness and punch gets benched when we need someone to take the fight to the opposition. The court time allocation stinks and a change needs to be made from the top.

Reply #389906 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I should have read skud's post first - would have summed up my thoughts.

Reply #389907 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, I DETESTED Heal as a player, but even HE out-coached Marty today. It's embarassing.

Our D broke down - and I mean fundamentally broke down - so often with zero adjustment again, it's just incredible to think I'm supposed to be watching a pro level game.

More than half the time we're playing street hoops style offense with no thought or structure.

Subs make no sense at all.

Time-outs when the momentum is against us are non-existant.

Weigh's cour time boggles the mind.

Does Clarke have a daughter? Did Creek dump her?

I dare say we could list a dozen coaches in about 15 minutes that would do a better job with this squad.

Marty isn't the only problem, but he's clearly the biggest. Start there and get to work fixing the rest.

Reply #389909 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think a lot has to do with the plays that are set as well. Offensively, the Sixers look good when they pass the ball and get some movement happening.

There appears to be a massive issue with the pick and roll in defence. Time and time again, the pick comes up and both defenders stay with the ball carrier while the pick sags. The pass goes to the free man and then the defence doesn't rotate, or gets lost. The easy dunk from the lack of help D results.

Probably need to work on that a bit at training. Teams seem to have it worked.

Reply #389910 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Henry called clear outs over and over and had his way. We didn't adjust once.

Reply #389914 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Pretty sure Mitch hurt an ankle hence his small minutes

Reply #389917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree that Marty has to go.

But on another topic, madgen's game was one of the gutsiest I've seen in Adelaide in a long time. His shoulder was in a bad way and he not only came back but also hit some big shots.

Dare I say it only Madgen would make Adelaide's 10. I can't name one other player that would make our team. Possibly Henry over Caddee if there was no points cap. Yet they beat us at home.

Got to take your hat off to Heal.

Reply #389919 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

BJF...Please don't let facts get in the way of fervent Marty bashing.

Its un=helpful, un-36er and un-Australian.

Mitch humping and dumping Marty's Daughter sounds much better, as does Weigh being Marty's love child.

Honestly guys....how can often can you complain about Big Bird's and DJ's softness?

Schensh has been soft since getting to the NBL, but he has height and good passing.

You take the good with the bad.

DJ has been soft on D since Day 1 also, but he is deadly on offence.

You take the good with the bad.

Reply #389924 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"You realise both DJ (7.9rpg) & Schenscher (7.0rpg) are in the Top 6 in the league in rebounding this season?"

If you look at DJ's rebounds 90% of them are defensive. When I looked last he had 55ish defensive and only 12 offensive rebounds for the season. Schenscher is at about 50/50 offensive and defensive.
That's a huge stat that makes DJ look freaking pathetic in offense and proves why I constantly say he doesn't rebound. How many rebounds he has in defence are from free throws would make him look even worse.
DJ also gets a lot more court time than Schenscher and is still around the same number of rebounds than he has.

I don't actually blame DJ for this any more, a good coach would have had him working on his attitude and effort. Simpson proved last year that while he had 1/3 of the skill's of DJ his effort made him almost as effective. DJ has such a long way to go and it really shouldn't take much to get him to dominating the league...Clark just doesn't know how to.

Schensh is having a bad year for fumbles we all know that but if you look at him on the court, he knows it as well. Once again what is the coach doing to help him through his troubles, why do all these players who come here start to suck?

Reply #389925 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

No discipline is the ultimate problem.

Gibson gets a tech. Should have been an instant sub. Met by Marty on the sidelines who should have told him to take of his shoes because he is *#$%^&* done for the night.

This makes the team learn faster than they can blink an eye lid that discipline and the TEAM is everything. Instead, they hit a 4 point play off a Gibson turnover and he is left out there like somehow it is the Refs fault.

Now we have a Ref group that has to listen to Marty whinge all night long and now knows that he doesn't make his players accountable. Everything is the referees fault (which in Bens case it normally is but that is not the point).

Excellent, at least we now know that every 50-50 call is going the other way because no Referee in the NBL is going to take shit from a coach who can't even control his own players.

The best thing he could have done with that whiteboard is break the thing during a timeout. Show some passion, show you want to win this game. Instead 5 players lose the momentum, they get no hard words of encouragement, they get a story book session with Granpa Marty. Then we expect them to play NBL 10 seconds later with the game on the line.

Reply #389927 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

It's going to come off as Marty bashing again... but I don't think I've ever seen him passionate, apart from deflecting blame, now that I think about it.

Not in time outs, not when we make a big play - nothing.

Reply #389935 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

pretty sure weigh played extened mins. with a sore foot last season and that was marty's excuse for him underperforming so a sprained ankle shouldn't be much different especially when they are actually hitting their shots unlike weigh last season

Reply #389936 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Dear referee's: if a player has his hands up in the air and the offensive player is shooting and seemingly 'looks like' he connects, it is not a personal foul. If it gets called, its an inventive foul.

Schenscher gets called in second quarter by grey maggot worse than McDonald,and it sticks.

Says a lot about the standard of reffing and game.

Reply #389943 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I dont understand how anyone can defend marty clarke. If you gave the same team to Goorjian, theyd be undefeated... obviously he fails to inspire or motivate them, or instruct them even

Reply #389944 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Anstey is still the worst Coach, has the biggest bunch of ill disciplined hotheads in the league. Lucas Walker is king knucklehead followed by Seth Scott.

Reply #389945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Anstey is currently the worst coach in the league Mystro but he's likely to improve while Clarke seems to be going from bad to worse. Time to stop the rot.

Reply #389947 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Clarke certainly has the talent on his roster to contend for a title.

Reply #389955 | Report this post

Howto  
Years ago

Saw some of the worst defense in a while by the 6ers in this one. It was almost like the 6ers vs Hawks game - dribble penetration and absolutely no help or rotations. When the help came, Graeme 'superstar' Dann was there to make an easy bucket meaning there was no rotation. Crosswell is an old man and needs to start using his feet on defense instead of his hands - its understandable that Henry is quick but he shouldnt be on the court if he cant defense without continually fouling.

Someone mentioned the foul on Schensher before, that was a foul as he angled his arms down slightly contacting the Sydney player on the drive (refs will call that everytime) - Big boy has to keep his arms straight and perhaps jump ?

Very gutsy performance from Madgen to come back and give some solid minutes after his injury.

Reply #389969 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Forget all the usual snipes at the infamous 3 year plan and the arrogance of the man, but look at the fact that one of the best rosters in the league is at 50% win loss.

* No logic to his rotations
* Leaving players on the court when they are not performing
* Leaving others on the bench
* No adjustment when the opposition changes their offence or defence
* Not correcting poor defence or lack of movement in offence
* No split line D
* No switch up to aggressive full court D

These are all basic things that he should be correcting, but it seems that game after game the same issues occur. We only seem to win when the opposition is having a poor game or our players are breaking convention and hitting their shots. As mentioned by Hurls, Goorjian would have this roster as undefeated. I think we will be lucky to make finals and for this roster, that is just not acceptable. Get rid of him now - before yet another season is wasted.

Reply #389970 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Marty just seems reluctant to change anything. Personally if I was the coach I would have at least tried changing the starting 5 which I think is wrong anyway. He should try;

C - Schenscher
PF - Petrie
SF - Creek
SG - Gibbo
PG - Cadee

Team should be better than 5-5 with this talent. Without change, nothing changes!

Reply #389971 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner, doubt you'll disagree with my broader point, but I'm just being pedantic: 50% W-L isn't the problem if you ignore schedule. e.g., had we won in Townsville, beat Sydney twice, Cairns and Melbourne. Lost to Perth twice in close games (favourites), Wollongong (top two at the moment), NZ (top team currently) and allow for that Melbourne loss. That'd have us at most one game from expectations (calling Hawks here and Melbourne on the road 50:50s). Say 5-5 or 6-4.

The problem for me is that we beat Perth twice and those were locked in. Clean slate before this round. Townsville were obviously yet to win and got little from Nevill, so any contender needs to go up there and make them cry. Then come home and take on Sydney, who'd been stomped by Perth so had suffered from travel too. Kevin White? Graeme Dann?

To split the weekend would've been very "Sixers" - give the Crocs their first win and then fall over the line unconvincingly against Sydney. That's what I expected. But this is worse IMO.

Why did Petrie not play more minutes? Was he that bad? Who did the Kings have to exploit him at PF/SF - Dann, Lazare, White, etc!?

Reply #389980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly think that to get Johnson to stay and to resign Weigh Marty had to promise them both a certain amount of court time and to be permanent starters!!
There is no other explaination for the minutes that Weigh in particular is getting and has got since he came here.
We would simply be a much better team if Massingale and Creek got the minutes that Crosswell and Weigh are currently getting!!!

Once they sack Marty the new coach should stick with this rotation:

Caddee
Gibson
Creek
Petrie
Johnson

Massingale

Reply #389982 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Spinner, you are on the money.

* No logic to his rotations
* Leaving players on the court when they are not performing
* Leaving others on the bench
* No adjustment when the opposition changes their offence or defence
* Not correcting poor defence or lack of movement in offence
* No split line D
* No switch up to aggressive full court D

Reply #389989 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Anyone remember back to the good old days? When you got enjoyment from watching Phil Smyth having a chuckle on the sidelines. When he got a tech you cheered because he wasnt the enemy.

When the players knew the basics and consistently delivered to their strengths. You knew Paul Rees would do a slow rumbling drive from the foul line at least twice a game and could never be stopped. You knew Brett Maher would carry the team. You knew David Stiff would pivot and spin until you got dizzy before somehow getting the shot to drop. You knew Rupert Sapwell would go bank on any jumpshot he could. You knew John Rillie would have a purple patch from 3, and the Cat would fire up in the 3rd Quarter. Darnell Mee would be playing lockdown D, and KB would be knocking down big shots and entertaining the crowd.

These were the days when it was actually a very enjoyable experience going to a game, Win or Lose. Most games involved a subplot featuring a well known villan from the other team.. Kruger, Heal, Kerle, Hill... The crowds were big, and the game was just plain entertaining. Ive been to most of the home games in the last 3 years and entertaining is not a word I would use. I find myself getting annoyed and frustrated most games, even if they win. I dont think Im alone either.

Back in the day, you wouldnt see a player doing something they are not capable of doing. eg DJ trying to drive to the basket from the top of the key and most times turning the ball over or chucking up a bad shot. Thats NOT his game, and the coach should make sure he never makes that move again. He is an excellent set feet shooter and he shouldn't deviate from that. Weigh plays to his strengths a bit better this season than last - but his problem is he doesnt have a whole lot of strengths. Schensh should never be allowed 4ft away from the basket in defense or offense. Petrie is an excellent example of a player who plays hard and doesnt try to do anything more than he is able to. It should be the coaches job to drill this into his squad.

Reply #389990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher will always get fouls guarding the small guys, he bends so much at his knees to get down to the level where his ands can incept the ball when they drive past him, his knees are outside his cyldiner so therefore holds or impedes with his knees, looked like a grasshopper at one stage on sunday guarding henry.

Reply #389991 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac. I see your point rgearding the win loss. Yeh, I think we all agree that the players on court aren't always the right ones for certain situations. I just don't see any adjustment being made to the subs being called - the pattern has remained consistent throughout his tenure. He just does not utilise his player's strengths and the Petrie example you gave is an excellent case in point. CJ played a fantastic part in our our last win against Sydney, but how can he be expected to contribute off the bench? Creek can slash though most defences when he is hot, but his confidence must be out the door with the lack of minutes he gets. We all see these issues, why can't Clarke? One could almost be excused for thinking that he doesn't want the team to succeed.

Reply #389992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously there's still a long way to go in the season. But if Marty goes (now or at season's end), who is actually signed on for next season? Can’t imagine Weigh would stick around minus Marty, and correct me if I’m wrong but did Petrie, Gibson and Cadee only sign on for one year? Really frustrating that we may only have one chance with such a great roster before we lose half the team.

Reply #389998 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Too much talent on the team, the 36ers have a bunch of players all at the same level that people could argue back and forth all day long. Weigh getting minutes at the cost of Creek. CJ not getting on because he is behind Gibson / Cadee and Crosswell in the guard rotation. Bigs seem to be handled ok although i was suprised that Schenscher got taken out after a purple patch where he blocked Lazare after his turnover. We have 3 pg's on this squad with one being made to plat the 2 spot. Works ok when there is a win , looks dumb on a loss. Losses have all come at dribble drive penetration resulting in either an uncontested lay up or a hand off for a lay up. That issue is either bad coaching or players not following the coaches instructions / team rules.
i dont think anyone on here would mind out of Luke, DJ and Petrie who started, the same with the guards and the same between Weigh and Creek. Hawks and Breakers have clearly defined starters and bench players.

Reply #389999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cadee surely signed for multiple years and I think Petrie did too. Johnson and Schenscher both have multi-year deals, from memory. I think it was only Gibson who signed the one year.

Johnson obviously gets minutes because he is an offensive force and a project centre with significant upside. Nothing suspicious there. Marty put a lot of faith in bringing him across and making him such a focus so early.

Have said it many times, but I think they favour Weigh because they aren't so confident in others being able to stick to the system. But with Petrie here, I don't see why they still need to put so many minutes into him.

The roster is strong enough and versatile enough, certainly enough to have gone 2-0 over the weekend. The change needed is with the coaches. Maybe losing Radford and Weigh dropping minutes means we lose some Perth games, but I'd rather be winning the ones we should and 50:50 with Perth than having one bogey team and all over the place otherwise.

Reply #390010 | Report this post

Air-T 18  
Years ago

Incredibly frustrating game to be at, and yes I have very much noted about the drop in crowd attendance. The problems starts at admin level then goes to the playing level

1. 40 min game of bball is not worth the $27.50 admission, should be $22 max, make it affordable and they will come win or loss (Leanne will make a profit by drawing more people through the door rather than bumping up price)

2. The 36ers debt means they can't pay out and have to keep Clarke till seasons end, his contract ends this year (signing him for three years was one of SA worst sport contracts up there with the Kurt Tippett bungle)

3. Everybody start to get on to the 36ers admin at the end of the season when Marty's time is 99% likely to finish and the start the campaign to bring in the ROO "Rupert Sapwell" to coach for a single season (worth a risk, experience at state level, loved by the fans, knows the 36ers system, a non negotiables in his day, extend if succesful) with a combo of Maher/Brooks or former basketball smart NBL player as assistant, win win!!!

4. Coach: watch one of his time outs on NBL telecast and you get an idea of how he goes about it...

(Silence for first 30 secs of timeout, Um um DJ here, Gibbo (draws arrow in one direction, rubs it out then draws arrow in other direction), Luke inside, Jase you drive and dish, no actually drive and look for DJ, DJ kick it out to Weigh, shoot if your open...
(Players walk out confused to court)

4. Players: Gibbo needs to stop turning down his natural offence, only Sunday arvo did he explode beyond 18pts (only in final qtr too), needs to take some more onus offensively like he did under wright at the blaze, not overboard just more large point scoring games instead of single figures...

Weigh - less minutes, enough said, useful but not a 30 min player

CJ Massingale - give him a chance to shine, the guy is a gun, all the fans see that

Crosswell - lot of heat coming on him, I actually like the way he's played this year, his role is to play defence and cover for young Cadee when he's not quite on, you need an experienced guard on your roster, but CJ should be ahead on the roster and he needs to come on to take the point when Gibbo rests...

Petrie - needs more minutes, maybe start occasionally to send message to DJ about team playing

DJ - related to above comment, needs to play role like big Dirk from the Mavs (taller than average shooter), don't need to drive and force ball in double team, good natural shooter need to stick to strengths

I've had my say as a frustrated but loyal passionate 36ers fan since 1992, hope we'll see players stay, some positive admin/coaching moves and another 3000 through the door next summer...

Reply #390041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i agree, i'd like to see a coaching change now also. I'd love to see Guy Molloy given the job, or Phil Smyth (not sure going back to the old coach is the answer but i was always a fan and he might free up a couple of guys like Massingale, Creek and let them flourish.)

I also wonder if we would have been better off getting a import scoring sg/sf ala Farley or Ere or KB who can dominate the game and put points on the board at will instead of say Weigh, im not overly a Weigh basher he has been quite good this season imo, just gets about 10 mins to many per game, which isnt his fault, but his career best is scoring around 10points, i reckon we would be better with a import who could score closer to 20 and whip the crowd into a frenzy, like Farley or KB could do and play Creek a more, and Gibson more as a PG.

Or with our current squat give Massingale more minutes and see if he can provide some scoring punch, he has shown glimpses when he actually gets on court.

I also wonder should we bring DJ off the bench as a spark plug scorer, the big mans version of what Jason Terry does in the NBA.

I would like to see the starting line/rotations up be something like

C Schenscher (25)/Johnson (15)
PF Petrie (25)/Johnson (10)/Weigh (5)
SF Weigh (20)/Creek (20) (could easily start Creek)
SG Massingale (25)/Creek (5)/Gibson (10)
PG Gibson (20)/Cadee (20)

Only need an 8 man rotation imo.

To me that would work much better, and we wouldnt have Gibson trying to be a scoring SG when it isnt his natural game, he is more Darnell Mee than Brett Maher imo (as example of game styles)

Reply #390044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd was only a tick over 4,000, that has to be a concern for SOS.

Reply #390054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not even close to 4,000, looked like 3,000 to me. Why so many Sunday games?

Reply #390070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crowd was officially listed as 4,015.

Reply #390087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sunday games to get sponsors on TV?

Reply #390095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunday games to actually get on TV too!

Reply #390103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but why aren't they spread around more, it's killing the club at the gate. Seems like more than half our games are Sundays. Surely it isnt bringing in that much more sponsor money (although I did notice more Coke signs on Sunday).

Reply #390108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Air-T 18 !

I was at the same game ! Good summary of the situation - glad I could contribute some points - especially the "whiteboard - where was I ? " confusion generated by the coach.
Think it's your shout for the beer though next time !
Anyway... what are you doing putting posts up on Hoops when you are supposed to be at work !!
Your Dad !!!

Reply #390113 | Report this post

Air-T 18  
Years ago

I would like to credit anonymous with some of the ideas that I put forward, that's what happens when a father son fan combo has been together since 1992, maybe we should coach the club next as son and father :-) waiting for the phone call Leanne...!

Reply #390122 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Spinner summed it up.

Reply #390132 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

heh... Hoops is certainly more interesting when the 36ers lose, that's for sure...

Great to see my boys show a lot more control after the disaster that was the Perth game... VERY gutsy effort from Madge to get back on court, hopefully his shoulder pulls through the scans ok...

Great to see Bruce step up and his penetrate and dish/score action was great... White did an amazing job to step up immediately after Madge went down. He really needs to nail those open outside shots more regularly when he's on, as he's certainly capable of hitting them, I think it's just a confidence thing...

As for who signed what for the 36ers, here's how it looked at the start of this season...

Adam Gibson - 1 yr + 1yr option
Anthony Petrie - 2 yrs + 1yr option
Daniel Johnson - 3 yrs
Jason Cadee - 2 yrs
Luke Schenscher - 2 yrs
Mitch Creek - 2 yrs
Nathan Crosswell - 1 yr
Stephen Weigh - 1 yr

So most of the above will be back, with only Gibbo, Crosswell and Weigh needing to move on/re-sign...

I assume the late additions of Pero and CJ would e only one season deals?

Reply #390191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.facebook.com/SackMartyClark

Reply #390472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754