Sean
Years ago

staking div 3 sides with div 2 players

In the state champes a couple of teams staked the div 3 side with div 2 players i think that that is wrong

Topic #3010 | Report this topic

number 50  
Years ago

it doesnt matter when they are all competing in the same competition "reserves" it would be wrong if it was during the regular season but seeing as it is state champs it doesnt matter

it might matter if teams where putting div 1 players in the reserves that is wrong but stacking div 3 sides with div 2 players in state champs is not

Reply #34379 | Report this post

What are they Vampires ? Staking them .. ouch !!

Sorry .. i couldn't resist ... :)

But seriously ...

Stacking a team ... now that would be annoying .. but it always happens .. Coaches who lack the understanding that success should not be solely based on State Champs results ... only harm the development of the players in the lower grade. The 2's get a good run , while the 'junior' players in the team warm the bence and get nothing out of the tournament.
Not smart ..

Did you play div 3 Sean ?

On the other hand .. i have played in most divisions coming up through juniors and enjoyed the challenge presented by better players çoming down'.. So for me ... it was mostly good experience.

Reply #34382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I played in the div3 comp and we beat a div2 to get to the GF. I play for North and the teams beat were Forestville. This was a tough game but we won. To say the truth the team we played were much bigger stronger and faster than we were. I believe luck and teamwork played a good part in our victory. For the other teams i think were very unlucky because they could not much the power of the teams in the higher grades. Thats why i thin state champs is not a real indicator of how strong clubs are.

Reply #34389 | Report this post

Bond, James Bond  
Years ago

This would be because Forestville have two div 2s and are not allowed to play both in that reserve grade. Thus they are the third best team at forestville and are allowedd to play in the div 3 grade. Sturt are another club that do this and they are allowed.

Reply #34392 | Report this post

boost juice  
Years ago

it is because you put your best 3 teams in -

no. 1 team in state
no. 2 team in reserve 1
no. 3 team in reserve 2

it is not a case of staking players

bizzarely we could have put more teams in if allowed - as others were pulling out and comprimising the draw - and we had kids asking to play!

Reply #34402 | Report this post

truth hurts  
Years ago

personally I feel some clubs should play some of their teams down a grade

Mavs have a shortage of numbers - some div 1 s ok - but no depth

but some centrals and woodville teams should seriously think about just playing state champs in a more balanced grade - instead trying to keep up with the jones'

south have many teams - but results - missing in action in panther land

Tigers - have the most boys teams last I checked - the u18s were great - but others?

Reply #34403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a bit hard to play down a grade when it is your clubs policy to have a div one team in every year level.

Reply #34637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on the weekend, torrens valley played their entire div 2 team in the reserve b comp.they justified it by claiming they had 2 div 4 players also in their squad of 10..where's the fairness in that

if they wanted a challenge surely they should have played in the reserve 1 group instead of coming into the reserve 2 group and beating a bunch of 1st years by 20 or 30 points a game

Reply #34648 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Yet Torrens Valley didn't win a Grand Final, which would suggest that they weren't too lowly graded...

Perhaps if we didn't have a reserve 2 grade we wouldn't be having this kind of problem.

Reply #34653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each club has probably done it within the past ten years and it won't stop. I feel sorry for the kids who get put together to form a div one or two team and get beaten by more than fifty every week. I was in a team like that when i was playing a while back and now i see it with some teams that i coach against in division two. One team in particular is continually being beaten every week by over 40 and these kids are ages twelve to fourteen. These kids arive beforehand already down because they know that they will lose by heaps and not learn anything during the game. After my beat this team by nearly 100 in the state champs i tried to shake every kids hand from the opposing team and lift their spirits but there was no spirit left. I can understand that clubs put these teams into harder divisions so that they can improve but haven't we forgotten the whole goal of basketball and that is to have fun? Obviously we have.

Reply #34654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754