Isaac
Years ago

Massingale speaks out

Quotes from CJ Massingale in Boti's story. Not likely to make any readers more of a fan of the 36ers or coaches, I don't think. Full article

By all means, pay someone cheap if that's what you can spare, but make the effort with them to compensate.

I'm not particularly impressed that this was the experience that any player coming to Adelaide had, whether they were underperforming or not.

Topic #30154 | Report this topic

skud  
Years ago

This really is disgusting isn't it. Clarke came here speaking of culture change and all he has done is make us a disgrace.

I have to say CJ has handled this really well, I am more and more impressed with the guy and more and more disgusted with Clarke and Radfords approach to this team.

How long does this need to continue. Do we need to Boycott games, form a lock out on the Arena lol before they make a bloody decent change.

Reply #390952 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That interview really says it all. If any of us didn't already know it, it shows how incompetent Clarke is as a coach and as a person.

CJ was paid barely nothing to play here and had to live away from his family just to make the most of this opportunity he so desperately wanted. Unfortunately with us having the worst coach in Sixers history, this coach didn't have the decency to at least give CJ a chance.

I hope the Sixers management see the damage that Clarke and his clown assistant have done and get rid of them during this season. They definitely do not deserve to coach out the season.

With CJ becoming naturalised I look forward to seeing him in the NBL again and doing well. He is an excellent talent with great potential.

Reply #390953 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep sounds about right, this just reinforces why everyone is so angry. No class from the top and what seems like a horrible environment for the players (specifically new players) to learn and contribute.

As someone mentioned in a previous post this sends a nice message to future players, come here get screwed over. Just can't see the coach lasting through this, he has to go if nothing else from a PR point of view among your fan base.

Reply #390955 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Big Ups CJ! Marty Clarke- confirms what we all knew!

Reply #390956 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Great article. Feel terrible for CJ.
Guess I won't be attending any more games until Radford is gone

Reply #390960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bye bye Marty chant should ring throughout the arena on sunday!

Reply #390961 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"The opinion or assessment of my ability that got me released came from a coach who has been just as successful as I was in the NBL"

lmao

Reply #390972 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Massingale admits he had some big flaws in that article too. To be a pro and not be able to learn offence and defense strategies quickly will never increase your favour with coaches. Ask yourself this, if a player doesn't know what he is doing on court amongst the team structure should he get more minutes, or less?

It is not uncommon for any player to get themselves to base camp of the team they are playing for. Players will typically drive themselves to where they need to get to for their job. I have also seen CJ driving the same reasonably new car many times so not sure why that is mentioned as an issue.

Also remember that CJ has been a known entity in seabl for 7 years and no other coaches in that time took the punt on him. Former team mates of his firmly doubted his ability to convert to the NBL level

Look at the numbers people like Herbert, Dowdell , Jackson etc produced in seabl against their NBL numbers to suggest that the gap isn't that big is a bit silly

There are also some factual errors in Boti's article that he conveniently includes to this propaganda piece. Boti's nuisance reputation has been a bigger factor in the clubs ability to recruit in the past than some of the issues mentioned in this article.

Boti has worked against the coaches from day one according to many many people. He has waited patiently to knife them publically. There is a saying in basketball, there are two kinds of people, those burnt by Boti and those that are about to be.

Having said all that the coaches need to perform, the game is about winning and doing whatever it takes to achieve that.

Reply #390973 | Report this post

Geezer  
Years ago

I do believe BJF that CJ perhaps left the car in Melbourne so that his wife and small child would be able to get around... just a small factual error of yours to clean up there.

You could also argue that CJs admittance of his flaws highlights how professional the guy really is. He also had 6 weeks (thats an estimate, my apologies) less than most of the team in camp, which would tend to explain why it took him a little longer to catch on in my opinion.

Interesting that you say former team mates questioned if he could make the transition. I would have thought that a sensational spot up shooter, who can also create his own shot would be worth a punt in an NBL crying out for something exciting and entertaining. Especially with a guy who has hit more buzzer beater game winners in big time games than Ive had girlfriends! Perhaps this shows my ignorance...

I sincerely hope CJ gets another shot, whether he is naturalised or not
He brings passion and drive to a game where even chumps like Goulding and walker are allowed to play. Just my 2c...

Reply #390977 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

You just said a whole lot of nothing BJF.

Clarke just seems to be a big bullshitter. I remember when he signed CJ and basically said "don't think of him as a typical import, he's a budget import and will be our 9th guy". Now he's saying he wanted more from him?!

I was there when CJ dropped 18 points in 15 minutes. I think that game proved he was up to NBL level. He's the 9th guy on the roster (just ahead of pero) ... how many other NBL teams have had their 9th guy drop 18 this year?

Reply #390978 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Pretty comfortable that I saw him driving the same car numerous times.
He shot the ball at 23% - is that the return of a flat out legit shooter?
Likely that the coaches brought in new offences and defensive strategies for each team , missing pre season has no relevance to that

Reply #390979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, ABA imports get treated a lot better than that.

Whiteboards with complicated plays that don't work - yeah, just confirms what we already knew, but being told just to stand in the corners and catch and shoot - WTF, we need guards that can penetrate, dish, create assists etc, that would have been very frustrating for someone with talent. Not good for one's confidence.

When CJ tried to be creative briefly (18 points in 15 mins) you knew he would not get any court time the next game.

If i was Mitch Creek with his court time, I would be looking to go elsewhere, with his talent he should be a major impact player in the NBL by now.

Reply #390980 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Agenda-driven piece, but where there is smoke, there is usually fire. That said, I'm not a fan of the current coaching roster, and I don't believe CJ got a decent chance to shine.

However, my work doesn't pay me to drive to the office, and if I won a job interstate, outside of my current organisation I would expect to pay for relocation and get my own way to work and home.

Sorry, but CJ isn't some NBA-talent rockstar that came to Adelaide to play for 'shits and giggles', where a car was part of the deal. He agreed to sign the contract. Was it a fair deal, that's for CJ to decide, but he signed it looking for an opportunity, which unfortunately, he didn't really get.

I never understand the call to boycott games. What exactly does that achieve bar damage the bottom line of the club? Would you rather no NBL team in Adelaide?

For Clarke to be sacked now, there would have to be some finanical handshake involved, he's got a contract. So, boycotting games leads to less funds in the kitty, which is probably the same kitty that would be required to buy-out Clarke's contract.

Reply #390981 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He shot the three at 23.5%. Deleon at 25%. Both have been better from the field and great from the stripe. No direct comparison otherwise, but hardly worth sacking for that one thing when the deficiencies in Adelaide are clearly elsewhere.

Reply #390982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Radford and Clarke seem to be as trustworthy as they appear. Good to see the fan base isnt taking this anymore, they are as good as gone. Should be ashamed of them selves for the way they have treated CJ. No 36er should put up with this from a coaching staff in this town. As a long time season ticket ive seen a lot of crap at this club over the years, but this is just disgusting and both should be made to leave.

Reply #390983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF have you got direct ties to Clarke and Radford? its very odd to see someone actually defeneding this decision.

Reply #390986 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If a player can't perform within the offensive structure then the coach must take action however he sees fit.

In saying that. No excuse for:
A. Making the player pay for his own flight!
B. Not helping a foreign player find a place to live!
C. Not helping a foreign player with transport!

The part about Clarke not calling CJ, that you can get away with. I know a number of coaches that aren't hands on coaches like that. But they're rare these days, but they exist.

Reply #390987 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

All I am saying is that there are always 2 sides to a story and Boti, to me, is conveniently using CJ as a pawn in his motives.
CJ was forced to walk to games and training's - complete rubbish.
He could have chosen to write a story saying that he didn't meet expectations and at least he was given a shot when every other NBL coach for the past 7 years has ignored him.

Reply #390988 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think it just shows you how much Marty is at of his depth.

At the AIS, he wouldn't have to organise insurance, living arrangements, transport arrangements.

But this is professional basketball. Obviously, he still doesn't realise that yet.

Reply #390990 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nuf said

Reply #390991 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Seems to me that if a coach allowed CJ to play to his instincts he could pretty much bank a Perth performance every game. It was obvious to anyone who attended the Perth game that CJ had very good basketball smarts. So why would you tell him to go to the corner & get his feet set? I feel embarrassed by this organisation.

Reply #390996 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm not particularly impressed that this was the experience that any player coming to Adelaide had, whether they were underperforming or not.

Absolutely!

This is just not acceptable. Clarke and Radford need to be shown the door, it's not how you treat people.

Massingale genuinely looked like the guy trying to do exactly what he was told to do, playing the exact role the team needed him to play. The times he has gotten decent minutes he has contributed - even beyond that of an 8th,9th or 10th player! Given the minutes, I think Massingale is capable of putting up numbers 16-18ppg.

Reply #390997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF is Marty Clarke

Reply #391001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #390973 - Boti's nuisance reputation has been a bigger factor in the clubs ability to recruit in the past than some of the issues mentioned in this article.

Perhaps the most ridiculous statement I've ever read in a forum anywhere..........

Reply #391002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was not up to it, held 10 points and there are better players out there that can get it done. You people wanted to hang by the rafters when he was shooting air balls and turning it over, now it's poor CJ.

Reply #391003 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

When given a chance, finally, and able to score 18 in 18minutes and deliver the win... yeah thtall change a fans aopinion quick smart. People forget he led the scoring with 9 against the kings recently at half time and those moronic coaches who are clearly taking the piss didnt bring him back in after the half.

Reply #391005 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Whether Boti is using CJ as a pawn for "his motives" is immaterial, as his motives are just and true. F**k Marty and Radford off ASAP. Or at least tell them now that they will coach out the season, then be gone, maybe then they will walk of their own accord.

Again, whether CJ was "producing" or not is not relevant. He was a 9th man (according to supercoach himself), why not sack someone who has a real effect on the fortunes of the team? Or maybe the ghost of a player who plays the most minutes yet delivers in approximately 3 two minute bursts a game?

It's like if the Lakers were struggling, and they sack Devin Ebanks. Why not sack the coach, or Pau for shooting 42%, or Dwight for crippling them with his 46% foul shooting?

The whole situation stinks, good on Boti for "using CJ as a pawn" to force his agenda. I'm all for it!

Reply #391006 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Seems to me that if a coach allowed CJ to play to his instincts he could pretty much bank a Perth performance every game."

I would love to see Marty's Myers-Briggs personality report. That might explain a fair bit about his coaching style and how he does things.

I could be wrong, but I suspect he may be an INTJ which is a rare group and around 2% of the population. This group is also called the "masterminds". INTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others.

That may explain why Marty's complex game plays may be OK in his mind, but take longer for those "dumber" than Marty to understand.

I suspect that Phil was probably an ESFP (The Performer or The Composer) (Bill Clinton is an ESFP) They notice any little variations in their physical world or in the people around them. They are very sensitive to balance and understand well what does or does not fit, whether in a work of art or any other aspect of their lives.

An ESFP may be suited better to game day basketball as situations change, an INTJ may be better suited to skills based basketball where transfer of knowledge is paramount.

What do people think?

(There is no "right" personality type)

Reply #391007 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'002, yes, I strongly disagree too. I've heard of more players wanting to avoid Marty than would factor Boti's presence in a signing. Marty can attract other players, no doubt, but Boti is a non-factor in these things.

Boti had quotes from Leeanne and Marty previously, now CJ. Up to fans to make their interpretations.

Reply #391008 | Report this post

What?????  
Years ago

Who was CJ's agent? he should have been the one taking care of these issues!! The coaches are the coaches and the 36ers management/agent should handle the rest. Radford is not a people person and Clarke is not a coach of men. There are a few problems here, but along with poor coaching, CJ should also look at his management as a major issue in this instance. Good luck CJ, i hope that you find a manager that actually looks after you and is not just there to 'look' over your contract for a fee.

Reply #391009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing for a paltry $37,000, Massingale paid for his own airfare to Adelaide.
``I had to pay for my insurance and the club didn't help me find a place to live.'

Shows you how poorly the club is being run. Grantham clealry has no idea. Hang your head in shame. Let's hope they get belted Vs Perth.

Reply #391011 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

On the wages he is/has been on, how could he even afford to pay a decent manager?

Reply #391013 | Report this post

What?????  
Years ago

Speed 44, that is not the question. The manager didn't get him the gig, the manager would have only had to look at the contract. My point is, whoever it is, they also have no class in allowing this treatment. I want to know who it actually is so that people can see a manager who doesn't work for his players behind the scenes. Does anyone actually know who manages him in Australia or is it an American all the time?

Reply #391014 | Report this post

Hang on a second  
Years ago

Lets take a few emotions out of this and look at some facts.
As WHAT??? just said, CJ's agent and CJ's contract would have detailed salary, car, rent, flights etc. That was surely agreed when signing. And now it's a bad deal. I will put that down to CJ's emotions after what has happened, and fair enough. Is that the Club's fault if CJ agreed and signed the contract?
The 37,000.00 is that for a year or is it for a contract period, I don't know, it might be for 6 months which is really a 74,000.00 /year salary, again I don't know without knowing the conditions of the contract I have to default to the fact that CJ signed it.

Cj said himself that he was bought in as a 9'th player, unfortunately even though he has been in Australia for many years and he comes as the 9'th he consumes 10 of the teams 72 points. The Club went after a all Ausy line up, they are 5 from 5 at this point in the season, with 10 points tied up in CJ. That is a tough position for both the Club and CJ.
Maybe that is the real issue and the NBL rules need to address that.

The issue that really gets me from the tone of the social media and the media is the swing of attitudes.
Go back on this site and the stories in the paper 12 months ago, everyone was saying the coaches were giving even court time, "this is not the AIS, it is the NBL" "your not here as a development coach top rotating all the players"
Now we have "players are not getting the opportunity"

Interesting!

I am not defending these coaches, it is their job just like it is every players job to win, and they all must be accountable for that.

I have no issues with the petitions and fan's voicing their views on the coaches. If we take the position to not attend the games as the media's and tones on sites like this suggest that can only end with one result.

Reduced income to the Club and NO Club, I would also suggest that if one more Club falls from this comp there will be NO NBL

Reply #391017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ wouldn't have a manager. It wouldn't make sense playing for the same SEABL club for years on SEABL wages to keep a manager.

The 37K isn't the part of the article in question, that was agreed to by both parties and CJ saw it in his interest to play for that amount as he didn't have other nbl others.

Its the rest of the article that paints the organisation in a poor light.

If someone moves cities you'd expect help with accommodation even if its staying in a spare room of a club supporter until he is on his feet or making sure he has a place to stay with some basic food in the pantry/fridge. I guess its not expected although it helps and I know it happens with WNBL/SEABL clubs.

Reply #391018 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

``I butted heads a few times with Radford,' he said.

``I knew I wasn't one of his guys and he always had something negative to say.'

Cant believe this club would have someone like this on our team. A real shame, I know we all thought it, it just confirms.
Going to kick ourselves when CJ becomes an aussie and we have burnt our bridges. Could have played out hes career with us.

Reply #391021 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

He will definitely get picked up when he becomes an Aussie, how does that effect his player rating? since he will now be a local who doesnt have a contract will the points system bend to allow a team to sign him?

Reply #391023 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Sorry BJF, after reading your post I have come to the conclusion that you are an utter Twit with absolutley no idea about basketball. Show me one example of anyone who plays around 9 minutes a game and shoots at a good clip.

Reply #391024 | Report this post

CJP  
Years ago

Ahhhh, minor point "Hang on a second", but we are not 5 from 5!! If we were then nobody would be in this situation.

Reply #391026 | Report this post

Hang on a second  
Years ago

Ok sorry
5 and 5 or 50%

Reply #391028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the marketing manager at the sixers? It seems there are a lot of paid people that do nothing.

Reply #391030 | Report this post

What?????  
Years ago

Ok, after some searching, I have found that CJ does have an Australian agent and he is local. Not sure what this means, but having an Adelaide agent and still having the problems he had? hmmmm. Not a good look.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/expe/fibaAgen/agenSear/p/eventid//langid/1/langlc/en/personnumber/19545/roundid//prof.html

Reply #391031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This situation the club has allowed itself to be by not having the guts to sack Marty now is very sad.
As now most die hard sixers fans actually want us to lose this week to increase the chances of Marty finally getting the sack!!

And even worse case we manage to make the playoffs just and we resign him to another 3 years and this all repeats itself!!!

Reply #391032 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The agent, the salary, the car - they're all red herrings distracting from the real issue. CJ signed that contract, so be it. Club could certainly have helped him find accommodation, but that's little different from Farley and the quilt...

The problem is that a cheap player, barely given a shot, has been cut while a constant through multiple poor seasons endures. And results aside, there is a serious disconnect between coach and fans. That's now been exacerbated by the cutting of Massingale. Is the roster not strong enough with or without CJ to win in Townsville when everyone else had? Or to repel the Kings on our home court? When Creek gets so few minutes, do we really need to add in a different budget import with a similar skill set?

Reply #391034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

``I butted heads a few times with Radford,' he said.

``I knew I wasn't one of his guys and he always had something negative to say.'

Didn't Radford have arguments with the American imports from last year as well???

Reply #391035 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Sounds like some poor management to me, but that isn't realy the issue, sack the import, keep the import, I don't care...with this team we should be top 4 and we are not.
Basically it comes down to the coaches and those that hire them and keep faaith in them. Unfortunately I don't think the club can afford to sack the coaches and pay for new ones for half a year so it looks like we are stuck with these 2. Another wasted year goes by, let's hope we can keep most of the players and add a good coaching team next season

Reply #391036 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Hey Jack Toft. Don't be too hard on INTJs.. some of us are reasonable :) I think you may be onto something. Clarke seems to be better suited to Boomers Assistant or at the AIS.. or in a high performance centre.

When a guy is on $37000, sure it may be $72000/year, but that isn't that much either, the club should do what they can to look after him in other ways (that is legal under the T&C's of the NBL)...when a friend of mine was being recruited to the sixers, Smyth put him up in his spare room for the weekend. Would it have hurt to have organised lifts & like someone else said, organised a spare room in someone's house?

To me, I just back up what others have said.. the comments on Radford just reinforce what we've suspected. The unneccessary tech fouls are an outward sign of some bad character traits.

And, as others have said, I see that CJ was a player playing away from his strengths. It's hard to get momentum when you're only played in short bursts.

I'd probably also agree that the plays have been too complex. Boti has suggested as much as well. On the whole, NBL players aren't going to be rocket scientists, so it pays to keep the plays simple. Again, in his heyday, Smyth was good at this.

I really hope this isn't the end of the NBL road for CJ, because he was a model for a new generation coming to the NBL, like guys like Kelly, Cooke & Lowry were before him.

Reply #391038 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

maybe instead of this all being one guys fault ie cj's or clarkes its an epic ensemble cast?

like st elmos fire but with retards??

ok im being over the top now but i really think that there are mistakes all around.

i thought cj's on court production was fine but it sounds like off the court wasnt great, he agreed to a contract that wasnt apparently up to his standards etc.

cj, his agent, and the 36ers management should have handled any stuff around getting him settled. club should/could do better but neither should they be treating these guys like babies. how the frak hard is it to organise a car and a place to rent? not rocket science cj. i dont give a shit if he was paid 36 000 for the season or if that was on a match payment system meaning it was what he walked away with, many guys would kill to be earning that to play the game they love. no excuse there.

i think criticism of our win/loss column falling on marty is fair. it has to be that way. he shouldnt be required to baby-sit one player, just do his job. unfortunately that job isnt being done up to the standard we want.

criticism where it lies and nowhere else.

Reply #391040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are also some factual errors in Boti's article that he conveniently includes to this propaganda piece.

Oh the irony.

Reply #391042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will get a chance with another team once he becomes a Aussie.

Reply #391044 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Young Gun, I'm not having a go, just stating that different styles of leadership and personality work under different situations. I mean you wouldn't have some introverted brainiac as a Marketing Manager, you usually find them elsewhere

Reply #391046 | Report this post

fan 60  
Years ago

Blame the club it was a well know fact before the dynamic due were even hired that both of these people skills of an ant.

They only had to ask people that had dealt with the AIS or the Razorbacks.

As for Massingale know one can tell me that the best player in SEABL cannot make a go of the NBL.

Hope they get booed out of the stadium tomorrow maybe that will wake them but I doubt it.

You can bet a quality player like Gibson will not stick around after this season.

Reply #391048 | Report this post

The Boti Agenda strikes again.

Seriously Boti writes another propaganda piece on a after thought 9th man. I don't care about the contract CJ signed or his wah wah about its shortcomings.
CJ signed it. Don't start crying now sunshine. If your ego couldn't handle the situation then don't cry to Boti about the contract you agreed to and signed. It makes you look stupid and immature.

Your rant has been duly noted by NBL teams

Boti writing about a 9th man leaving? pleeeease, surely there's something else worth taking up valuable advertiser editorial space?
A 9th player not happy with his coach? Well strike me down with a feather Boti!

How about we take a poll on NBL 9th players? Happy with your playing time? Getting paid well? Are you sacrificing personal life to play with the team?

Boti propaganda at its finest, what a completely rubbish story. This forum was screaming for him to be sacked and now the forum make him the martyr of what's wrong with the team!

Reply #391049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate Boti is behind public sentiment on this one....I'm not a fan of Boti's but he's spot on, the coaches have to go.

Reply #391050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think like a GM . . .
Massingale is easy to cut - because a payout is cost-effective. He takes 10 player points with him, allowing 10 points of cap space.

In the games the 36ERS have fared poorly, it has largely been sputtering offense.

With half the season in the bag, the 36ERS now have points cap room and hopefully enough money to purchase an impact import (where it would have cost them too much for a full season) who can really fill it up. He doesn't need to be a great defender, there are enough capable defenders around him - just a scorer.

He needs to be the focal point of an offense that is full of offensive supporting cast members, but no guns, DJ included, who is inefficient.

This is purely a strategic move to make a play at a game-changer. The CJ experiment didn't work, so the Club is calling in their original plan.

Wait and see . . .

Reply #391053 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol there is so much offensive firepower out there its mental.

the problem is getting them to play as a cohesive unit.

also the 10 points available means nothing, it will be the salary cap not points cap that restrains us in any quest for a player.

Reply #391055 | Report this post

Public sentiment LOL.... about a whinging import who was our 9th player? Grow up little fella, it's called a beat up.

Reply #391057 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Hey Jack Toft... I know you weren't having a go.. I thought the smiley face indicated that :) :) I agreed with your point.

Reply #391059 | Report this post

howto  
Years ago

'there are enough capable defenders around him - just a scorer.' Hmm, have you seen the 36ers play defense ? Should we go through the roster player by player ? Only creditible player on man on man is Gibson.

Reply #391060 | Report this post

Hang on a second  
Years ago

Now this discussion is starting down the right track
CJ did everything he could no question about that.
Facts are is was 10 out of 72 points. I am convinced if that was not the situation the Club would have kept him and would have replaced Pero to bring in a higher quality player.

If this was done for these reasons I think it was the correct move, what went wrong here was Marty's comment suggesting CJ needed to get to the basket.
Maybe he should have said we need a player who can spot up shoot and get to the basket

We all know how good a communicator Marty is!!!!!!!

Reply #391062 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I read this article this arvo and it's a disgusting effort by the coaches.

Our coaches need to be sacked ASAP. They are a disgrace.

Fans and the club will go downhill if they remain.

I hope the coaches get booed and told to pack there bags Sunday @ the game.

Reply #391066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I swear Skye (Marketing & Communications Manager) just gets paid to post a photo of the team training each week.

Reply #391067 | Report this post

fan 60  
Years ago

In the games the 36ERS have fared poorly, it has largely been sputtering offence.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What games have you been watching the young guard could not defend his own shadow and 2 or 3 of the others are not much better so they better shot well if they finish in 5th or 6th spot with what they have and how its run then they will have over achived.

Reply #391069 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

https://www.change.org/petitions/to-the-management-of-the-adelaide-36ers-remove-marty-clarke-and-mark-radford-as-coaches-from-the-adelaide-36ers

Reply #391076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF is on the money, replacement announced soon.
Wouldn't Leanne be checking on outside of basketball stuff, minimal coaching staff and some people expect them to organise pastoral care situations as well.
What do you do Leanne?

Reply #391077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's got no clothes on - firstly mate does it make you feel good to belittle and talk down to people on the Internet? "grow up little fella" What a pathetic human being you must be getting your kicks out of talking to people on a forum like this.

Mate the issue isn't Boti, the issue isn't CJ, the issue is the coaching staff and their blame deflection, their lack of people skills, their inability to get the most out of the talent they have and their results. The results, combined with their arrogance that is turning the fans away in droves and killing the club.

Seriously mate you are so fan away from the general person's opinion in the stands I suspect you're from the club. So who are you? Clarke? Radford? One of the support staff. Or someone hanging around like Ben Clark? Or Leeanne herself?

I seriously felt physically sick after that Sydney game. I'm furious that this club is in a race to the bottom and management are doing sweet nothin about it. If you want to insult my intelligence again leave your seat number and you can say it to my face tomorrow mate.

Reply #391081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly think it's poor form to be commenting about your salary when you were the one that agreed to it in the first place.
NO Insurance? The NBL havent provided player insurance for years. Not helping him with accomodation.Pathetic.
No car? Well I can only assume he would have known that. Paying for his own flight there? Ridiculous.
It really does highlight how inept the Sixers management are. Not only that they have a 10 point player playing for not a lot, yet treat him with contempt.

Reply #391087 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

well I hope Massingale can atleast take heart that all of the 10 imports under Clarke have been released. The problem is not Massingale, its the coach. Its just bad luck that a dream that was about to unfold has been so abruptly brought to an end. Clarke is in panic mode right now. He knows all eyes are on him. He could have had the decency to resign after one season and taken with him a whole lot more respect than what he has now. Hope we can fill the Arena to standing room only on the last home game this year just to hear the sound of 8,000 boos and Hit the road Jack as Clarke walks off the court for the last time.

Reply #391089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dig deeper people. The coaches aren't the biggest problem at the club at the moment.

If you know anyone connected to the club, ask them for info on who is really running it into the ground. Even on court success won't save them if the business side keeps being managed the way it is.

Reply #391090 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Maybe we should get Dusty to come back EC?

I agree for the most part with BJF.

Why is it the coaches job to find the player a house etc? Aren't those things on the club as a whole?

I find the ignorance and want to blame the coaches by most on here hilarious. No doubt we get a new coach and same results it will all start for them too. Happened to Ninnis etc.

Reply #391091 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

Funny that Knox provides its imports with accomodation and car. Says something about Adelaide - an apparent pro team

Reply #391093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most SEABL clubs provide accom and car to imports. Why he ever agreed to that contract is beyond me. I also suspect that if his quote is right, $37,000 may also be below the minimum he would be entitled to.

Reply #391094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fans have been complaining about Clarke from the first season.

Lets face facts. Management stuffed up in hiring him.

The BJFs and Bizzys of the world have defended him since day 1. Good on them. I admire their faith.

I would be happy to admit I was wrong and they were right and the 36ers were successful.

However, we are not successful.

He might be a top bloke and a really hard worker.

However, it can't be denied that he has been a failure.

He has failed from an on court and recruiting perspective.

Even more importantly he has failed from the basketball business perspective. Some might say he is not hired to be a marketer or charismatic. True, but in a struggling second tier sport, I would argue that having someone charismatic and good with the media is important to ensuring the ongoing viability of the 36ers.

Also the sports entertainment/business dynamic is also impacted by personnel decisions. IE if we had Adris Deleon and a high flying Leon Trimmingham type as a power forward import we may not be much higher up the ladder than if we had Weigh and DJ but we would be selling more tickets and a more competitive product in the sports entertainment industry. Clarke has failed in this regard as he's failed to put together an entertaining line up.

The problem management have is they appear to be ignoring their customers the fans.

On one hand it is admirable they are honouring their commitment to Clarke. However, the BJFs and Bizzys ought to be able to understand why fans would be in uproar when on one hand Clarke has been shown patience and loyalty in circumstances where most sporting organisations would have pulled the trigger but at the same time Clarke has been quick to pull the trigger on CJ.

CJ is 100 percent the victim of Clarke's failure and not vice versa. That is the very definition of a scape goat.

If Schenscher got injured and they sacked CJ to get a big import then most would understand such a decision. It's a business. However CJ was recruited as a 10-15 minute 9th man who could add some scoring off the bench. He performed such a role exactly how I expected. If the expectations were Deleon type impact off the bench then I suggest that Clarke has once again failed in his recruiting as CJ himself would have said he's not that kind of player.

Reply #391099 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Anon, how can you question his ability to recruit?

Reply #391100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy re-read anon's post.

His questioning his ability to recruit for and put together an exciting product and Anon is 100% correct. Just look in the stands.

Reply #391102 | Report this post

woolypert  
Years ago

bizzy
Recruit is all he has done and lots of it. Weigh,
Cadee with great promises,Gibbo and Peach fell in lap had nowhere else to go. Creek good job, Schnenscher at third attempt and most importantly about 10 imports of which none have met "his" expecations.
Crosswell instead of Carter or Bruce??
No building or developing, just losing. I think that could change with this group, but many of the tell tale signs are still there with this talented group.
The losing and the cost of the revolving door must be killing ownership, not to mention the continual decline in crowds - all time low.
I admire your loyalty and hope the results change, because if they don't I fear the worst.

Reply #391104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course I can question his ability to recruit.

Look at his win loss record!

It's not just about signing players but getting balance.

Many posters, some of whom are good coaches in their own right pointed out the flaws with last seasons roster before the season started.

Warren, Ng, Weigh, DJ, Ballinger are below average defenders. That was our projected starting 5. Bizzy, what league wide ranking would you give that projected team for defence? That is right. Worst in the league.

He recruits Creek. Hats off to him. Some even tried to convince us he was the next Sam Mackinnon. Yet he has anchored our one above average defender to the bench.

Daly looked like he had upside. Some tried to convince us he's the next Brett Maher. Yet he recruits over the top of one of the bright spots of Clarke's first season. Oh, and that recruit was Crosswell.

He recruits Weigh. Some tried to convince us he was the next Cattalini. He doesn't defend, shows no heart and yet plays 30 minutes a game and is given a Kobe green light.

I won't get started on DJ as its all been said.

I don't need to prepare anymore scouting reports re Clarke's recruits. They can be found on BJF's graveyard post as to the long list of players who are no longer in the NBL after being coached by Clarke.

I would suggest Schenscher's return can hardly be credited to Clarke.

Likewise Gibson had turned down Clarke before and was willing to stick with Gold Coast despite its financial problems until it became official they were out of the league.

In what way have you been impressed with Clarke's three year plan, recruiting Bizzy?

I'm a fan only of the Schenscher, Gibson and Petrie signings but I struggle to give Clarke much credit for any of the three.

Reply #391107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous,

Can you please stop assuming everyone thinks like you.

The way you write is condescending and the definition of generalising.

"Many posters, some who are coaches in their own right..."

I coach, I post, I play....and I disagree with you.

You say crap like 'public sentiment'. Your mates, your bubble mate.

Cringeworthy young fella.

Reply #391110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Generalising? What do you disagree with?

Reply #391112 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Re: Bye bye Marty chant should ring throughout the arena on sunday!

"someone starts it, and I will happily join in".

Reply #391116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ only played more than 15 mins twice,

In those 2 games he averaged 11.5 pts, 0.5 assists, 3 rebounds, that is pretty damm good for around 17 mins court time, im certain that if he had played around 15 mins a game, which i thought he should have from day 1, he would have averaged those numbers and had a few big ones along the way.

Not superstar numbers, but great numbers for someone coming off the bench.

If he was an Aussie rookie, playing 15 mins per game he would be rookie of the year, or very close. I hope he gets signed as soon as he is naturalised by someone, Townsville have an import spot free could they use him??

He also had a game where he scored 9 points in 5 mins, in the first half, how does that happen? the only way a guy should be able to do that is if its the last 5 mins of the game, else if he has scored 9 in 5 mins, play him MORE and see if he can get around 15-20 points in 10-15 mins, which is quite likely imo.

He was also 4th best in Effiecency rating of the 36ers on the stats on the real gm website, which showed he was doing well when on.

I dont think anyone is arguing that CJ isnt Cedric Jackson level, but he did aswell as anyone could realistically expect from his court time, and better than some who play more.

I think what most people hated from Clark was how hes blamed a guy who barely played and said he wasnt upto NBL standard when he clearly is, he may not be a NBL star but definatly good enough to come off the bench, and again if he was an aussie he would start in some NBL clubs imo. I'd take him over Goulding.

Its also not the first time Clark has failed to take responsibility and just blamed others, its just him throwing others under the bus to save his own ass, which most people hate when anyone does that for any reason.

Im not too fussed either way with the car/accomodation, etc, he probably expected it if he gets it from Knox, but if its not in his contract, well the club doesnt have to, but it would be nice for them to go above and beyond the minimum, but they dont have to either, i think its great to hear stories of when clubs who do though.

In short i hope to see new coaches at the 36ers ASAP and would love to see CJ given a shot somewhere and played atleast 15 mins and given a shot to prove himself, as I'm sure he would be atleast a solid 6th -8th man if given a good shot.

The other question that needs to be asked is why bother signing a 30 year old import and playing him less than 15 mins, sure he is better than say Daly as our 9th man, but if he is going to be played so little it may aswell be Daly and just play say Creek the extra minutes.

At 30 even as an Aussie he isnt going to be developed for the future, so whats the point. If you are going to sign him PLAY him, or you are better off not bothering, just sign the local kid to the bench, atleast you can say he is improving and could be a key part of the rotation in the future, you cant say that about a 30 year old import, to me that is a question id like answered.

No one would really complain if he was cut after playing 15-20 mins per game and struggling, most people would actually be calling for it, but to sign him and not give him a go is poor imo.

I hope his replacement is actually played and does well, if you are not going to play the new import atleast 15 mins per game from the first game they arrive then dont bother, just give Daly the spot.

I agree with the post about entertainment, im not a Weigh hater, but i would rather have him off the bench on a cheaper deal, playing less minutes or not have him in place of an exciting, athletic, import, that would almost certainly bring more fans to the game, would probably help us win more, as Weigh is a solid player, but not a star, the import could be a star, and even an average import would be as good if not better than Weigh. Imagine swapping Weigh for a 2002 version Farley, or a young Rob Rose, not that easy to find i know, but even a Hurdle level import would be as good if not better than Weigh and not that hard to find surely.

It would also take away most fans pet hate of over playing Weigh who isnt producing the that level of court time. Maybe that could have been the change if the roster was the issue, but not during the season.

Maybe this could happen this season with the new import coming in, but with the current coaches, i doubt it.

Imagine a rotation of this, with a good coach, even Smyth.

C Schenscher (25)/Johnson (15)
PF Johnson (10)/ Petrie (25)/Weigh (5)
SF Import (25)/Weigh (15)
SG Gibson (15)/Creek (25)
PG Cadee (25)/Gibson (15)

Can anyone say CHAMPIONSHIP, I beleive that would stack up to anyone if used correctly, cant think of an 8 man rotation better, especially if we get a stud in that import spot.

Hell im not basketball, coach, x's and o's or motivational genius but i reckon i could let them lose, just give them all decent court time and tell them to play there natural style and tell them if someones hot keep going to them and I would win atleast 50-60% of games with that line up! Marty its a case of letting the players play! These guys are pro's not AIS development players.

Given we are bringing in a new import, who better be an upgrade on CJ, and have the rest of the players on our roster I cant see why we cant do that.

Clark/Coach please notice I have a 8 man rotation, all thats required for a 40 min game, and playing everyone around 25 mins.

Some would say its not that simple but i cant see the complication, if injuries/foul trouble happen some will have to play more and Pero/Crosswell need to come into the 8, if someones out of form play them less. Id basically try to give everyone around 15-20 mins in the first 3 quaters and play the best 5 in that game for the bulk of the 4th.

Its about the feel of the game, seeing the trends, maximising momentum, identifying who is hot on the night and using them, ie if someone scores 9 points in 5 mins in the first half, play them atleast another 5-10 mins in the next quater give them the ball a bit, and see if they can score 20-30, which is pretty much what Cole said according to Botys blog, it makes sense to me/most on here, why cant our coaches do it?

Reply #391117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above anon post = on the money.

For all those defending Marty (all three of you) the issue isn't Boti or CJ's car, it's the coaches as anon says above.

Reply #391127 | Report this post

3 year plan  
Years ago

Genius of a 3 year plan, build a team over two years that fails, scrap it and pick the bones of a good team that goes under then fail again.

Reply #391137 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I don't see a lot of 'defending Marty' in this thread at all. Even BJF said that the 'having said all that the coaches need to perform'.

In everyone's post I see people questioning the lack of accountability and transparency shown by the coaching roster, along with some dumb ar$e decisions which don't make a tonne of sense. Examples being Weigh (who I can't stand) getting a tonne of time, and then Creek, picking splinters out his butt and the lack of accountability the coaching roster places on certain players drives me crazy.

As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of Marty (I personally think he wasn't up to the standard required to coach NBL) and I don't believe that CJ got a completely fair shot.

However, I also work in Media and this is exactly the type of article Boti has been licking his lips for, just like any experienced, sometimes controversial journalist would.

There are always three sides to every story, one persons version, the others persons version and then the truth and they all inter-lap.

Reply #391139 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Unprofessional on both counts. Player speaking out. Club everything else.

Sounds like the club needs new management (both basketball-department and administration) asap and a massive culture change.

One thing that's taken off in Europe, particularly in football, is the big clubs starting to hire "relocation managers" to help new players in unfamiliar cities settle in. The big multinational companies have been doing this for yonks.

Not sure if there is a big market for it in SA, but with the amount of players that come in every year for the Crows, Power, United, 36ers, etc if the clubs don't help out the players (however I assume the 36ers are the only ones who act so unprofessionally), there could be a niche business opportunity for someone looking to work in/around sports.

Reply #391150 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

CJ didn't gripe about the car or salary. Just answered a question about the car and Boti stated his salary. He complained about getting no help finding a place and not getting a farewell call.

The main thrust was about the specific role he was told to play and that sounded fair enough to me. Don't tell a guy to do x and then complain that he didn't do y.

Reply #391158 | Report this post

What?????  
Years ago

I would love an official statement from the 36ers management and CJ's management. Paul Bell could set the record straight right here on the forum about CJ's treatment as he would know (being his agent) what happened behind the scenes and why he didn't get the support needed. Quite frankly he has been the worst treated import in Sixers history.

Reply #391193 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Emabarrassed to be a member at the moment - that was a very tough read.

WTF is going on with this club?

Reply #391302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of control. Thanks Leanne

Reply #391319 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bizzy, do you have a relationship with Clarke? If not, you are delusional of what's going on around you. No one needs to know Clarke on a personal level to know he has failed miserably as Head Coach of the Adelaide 36ers. No one needs to know Clarke on a personal level to see what an arrogant character he is with no regard whatsoever for the fans. Nothing else is important, not even getting Dusty back in the team. God only knows why you persist with that nonsense. That comment in itself makes you incredible. Just stick to the facts.

Reply #391331 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bizzy, one late note on his recruitment ability. In his time as head coach, he has recruited 10 imports. To this day, all of them gone. He has recruited 20 Australians. To this day, only one has been with him since day one.

Reply #391332 | Report this post

Matt Jemson  
Years ago

I fell sorry for CJ I'm a coach at Woodville and very week I take players to and from games and few trainings to help them out I want them to feel part of the club and get better as player and as a person. Marty Clarke has no idea how to coach and read the game or even help his own players that is poor by a head coach

Reply #391595 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

It is refreshing to read a first hand account on what happened.

Two sides to a story but Marty or Management need to offer their first hand account if the club wants to offer a credible rebuttal!

Reply #391609 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754