Jack Toft
Years ago

R11: Sixers v Crocs

Well it had to happen. The Crocs had to break their drought and since then have got back to back wins. Can they make it a hat trick at the Arena? It'll be the battle of the Lukes. Luke Nevill is yet to lose a game with the Crocs so he could be their good luck charm. Jacob Holmes is seemingly snatching rebounds at will and may be looking to improve on 16 boards in front of his mum. He is one of 3 Crocs the Sixers will need to tame.

The Sixers have dropped their last 3, but need to secure this one to stay in touch with the Slippery Sydney Kings. Creeky was on fire last game and may be the one to spark the Sixers to victory. No doubt Marty will be plotting the Crocs demise like Garry Kasparov plotting against Big Blue. Hopefully that plan includes something called D.

Seeing as though we are against the Crocs, maybe a cynical fan should bring along a pirate hand hook and a ticking clock.

C’mon you Sixers, you know you can win and you need to win, we don’t want to hear former Sixers slag off at fans on this forum after the game!

C’mon you Sixers fans, get along to the game, fill the stadium and make some noise. What else are you going to do on a Saturday night, watch the lifestyle channel on Foxtel and learn how to make friands? It’s your choice, you can either barrack for your team and laugh at airballs from the Crocs, or if you’ve had a few beers you can always heckle Captain Hook and Smee!

Topic #30219 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

I think the key to this game is Gibson shutting down Ervin. If that can happen and then whoever is matching up on Nevill can make it really hard for him to get the ball where he wants it then the 36ers should get this.

Can the 36ers win a game based on defence??

Reply #392078 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Jack Toft I haven't laughed at an airball since uuummmm.... Crosswell last week that's right!

Reply #392079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, should've had the Cats by 5-10. Should've.

Surely this one's a win. Can't pencil it in, but anything less than a win would be catastrophic in the scheme of the season.

Reply #392082 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Nevill has historically eaten Schensch's lunch.

He is a much better player since he last played in the NBL. So I think he gets the better of that matchup. What he delivered last week against Melbourne was the best I've seen him play in this league.

Crocs are just a completely different team with a target down low.

That said, they still have a whole bunch of guys that simply don't play hard enough.

Stll, I wouldn't be suprised if Townsville takes this one.

Ervin and Nevill are in great form, while the Sixers are slumping somewhat. Lots of pressure on Adelaide and none on Townsville.

Will be a close game.

Reply #392086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea as a 36ers game this is a MUST WIN, but am very worried as half expect Ervin and Neville to monster us and get the win, hopefully im wrong.

If we lose this one, Clarke should also resigin, a playoff team doesnt lose to team in last place at there home, so if we want to be a playoff team we need to WIN,

Reply #392093 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Gibbo playing?

Reply #392096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The battle of the Big Luke's.

Nevill owns the career head-to-head: 4-2

Head to head stats.

Nevill: 11.8ppg @ 51.7%, 5.5rpg

Schenscher: 9.5ppg @ 46.2%, 7.0rpg

Reply #392107 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Stick with my : Perth =loss , Crocs = loss. NZ = a win , with this crazy team . Gibson hip , unlikely
probably our best player .

Reply #392111 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Even without Gibbo this team is FAR MORE TALENTED than the Crox.

While Neville will be better than Schensh, Neville is hardly a big scorer (barring last week). TSV back up is Ben Allen! Enough Said. ADL back up is Petrie ffs.

DJ should own Hinder.

Weigh's shooting should draw Holmes further out reducing his chances of rebounding.

Creek should be given Crawford, given Crawf's shooting slump, they should cancel each other out.

Poor Cadee will have a hard time covering Ervin.

Reply #392121 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Ohh I forgot...Massingale would have been handy in this game as well to cover for Gibbo.

Reply #392122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin will own Cadee and without Gibbo they will struggle

Reply #392134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ couldn't stop a bus!!!

Reply #392135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else think that if we lose Sat night then the club will have no choice (but won't) sack marty!!!

Reply #392137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i hope so, re sacking marty if we lose.

part of me will be wanting the crocs to win so we get the change.

Reply #392140 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

You are hoping your team will lose in the hope your coach will get sacked?

Isn't that counter-productive?

Reply #392155 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

He wont be sacked. its because of money right now

Reply #392167 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Camby: Ben Allen is not nevill's back up. Last week he didn't even get a run. Hinder is. Nevill and Holmes both play big minutes with hinder backing up both of them and switching between the 4 and 5. And Holmes is not a SF so won't be matching up against Weigh at all.

Reply #392176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, Weigh plays some PF.

Reply #392179 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I knew he did last year but haven't seen him play the four this season with Adelaide's stacked frontline.

Obviously I've only seen a handful of Adelaide games though.

The key to beating the Crocs is getting off to a hot start. A team like this that is only just starting to learn how to win doesn't know how to dig itself out of a hole yet.

Hit them hard and hard early and they will roll over.

If you keep them in reaching distance, Ervin can win it by himself. He has shown several times this season that he can rattle off ten quick points in a matter of possessions in crunch time.

Reply #392182 | Report this post

UP North  
Years ago

How much has Weigh played 4?

I've seen Adelaide with:

Schensh & DJ
Schensh & Petrie
DJ & Petrie

Does he play with DJ or Schensh more as a 4? Or do they go real small with Petrie & Weigh?

interesting!

Reply #392212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With the Hawks, you could hack Ervin and he was a bit shaky with his FTs in the clutch, but his numbers are good this year - 80%+.

Reply #392217 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What's the latest on Gibson, game could swing on whether he plays.

Reply #392221 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ervin is a more well-rounded player this go around.

His scoring might not be as dazzling but he is making a genuine effort on the defensive end and his shooting has vastly improved. He still runs hot and cold from deep but his mid range and free throw shooting is pretty damn good.

Reply #392223 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So if Gibbo is out with a sore hip, starting lineups?

5: Luke vs Luke
4: DJ vs Holmes
3: Stevie vs Blanchfield
2: Creeky vs PC
1: Mungo vs Ervin

Petrie
Crossy
Daly
Pero

Or does Crossy start over Creeky?
Who gets Ervin? Creeky? or would you throw Tommy Daly to the wolves and put him on Ervin and make Ervin just run until his legs drop off? If Daly made him look stupid, one month would not be long enough.

Reply #392231 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Jack Toft....I'd have Creeky guarding Ervin and hope his length and athleticism troubles Ervin somewhat?! PC isnt quite the slash to the basket player he once was and Cadee should have the speed to close out on him on the perimeter.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Reply #392246 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Is this the game going to be shown on one hd?

Reply #392264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The TV games are Friday and Sunday.

Reply #392268 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tornado, you would have to give Creeky the job wouldn't you

Reply #392271 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Camel31; Gibbo is our best player by far

As far as tomorrow goes, should be another nailbiter. Odds suggest the Crocs are a good chance

Reply #392291 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

Crocs by 12 +!!!!

Reply #392300 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It sounds like Gibson will play tonight

"Adelaide had a minor scare with co-captain Adam Gibson (hip) earlier this week but the 36ers' most inspirational player is in no doubt."

can anyone confirm things haven't changed and that he isn't playing?

Reply #392346 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Def playing

Reply #392350 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sixers should win this quite easily I think. They will be pumped up for a big game after last weeks devastating loss.

I think we will see 4 great quarters by the Sixers with the odd Crosswell blunder :P

Sixers by 8. Weigh to play 33 minutes

Reply #392365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the new CEO will ensure he plays more than 33 minutes!

Reply #392366 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

The 6ers have gievn no indication they should win anything lately. Im totally on the fence about this one. I cant see Adelaide beating a team with as many offensive weapons as the Crocs have. Its games like this when things happen throughout the contest, and Clarke is way to late to react and change the game plan. So no matter what long odds there are, id say this is a genuine toss of the coin. Even though Adelaide should win comfortably.

Reply #392367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the players are tanking so Clarke will get fired.

Reply #392377 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

23-8. Sack Marty.

Reply #392378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch can hardly get a basket against Gibson but Ervin does it so easy.

Reply #392379 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Townsvilles starting five is actually better than adelaides; its just that their bench is ten times worse and plays dumb to boot..

Reply #392381 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Please woolpert just play the starting five for the whole second half. I can't take another Russell hinder turnover-to-opposition-fast-break-and-1 or another crocs loss.

Watching the scoring development line graph alone you can tell who's on thwarted court. It's uncanny.

Reply #392385 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

*the court.

Reply #392386 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The box score makes for bad reading. Looks like Creek sh*t in Marty's bed again, and Weigh pulled out whatever he's holding to earn court time.

Poor shooting from Weigh and Gibson, combined 3/19. At least Gibson seems to be contributing on other fronts, 8 dimes and 5 rebounds (4 turnovers).

Reply #392388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Gibbo will always find a way to contribute.

Reply #392389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CYA Marty.

Reply #392392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't make it to the game. Interesting to hear what the crowd reaction was like.

Reply #392393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many were there in the crowd?

Reply #392396 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Interested to hear why the f*** Weigh plays 35 minutes with a terrible line and pathetic shooting (looks like none of the guards and SF bar Creek can shoot) and Creek plays 18 minutes with a pretty damn good line.

Reply #392397 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

TR, I don't think Creek would have been much use playing any additional minutes tonight. The boxscore doesn't quite tell the whole story.

Reply #392398 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Weigh 9pts 2/8 4rb 2a 0st in 35:10 mins

Creeky 11pts 4/5 3rb 1a 3st in 19:12 mins

Meanwhile the gap between 4th and 5th gets even bigger.

Reply #392401 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Thanks Dan, the box scores makes for horrendous reading. Were Gibbo, Johnson and Weigh chuck bricks all night?? 11 from 44 from at trio. Disgusting..

Reply #392404 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

TR Creek injured himself in the fourth looked like an achilles.
Gibbo hit a massive clutch three, then we dont box out on the 2 missed foul shots and Jacob boards it the hits the foul shots (bet he loved that!).
Then we draw up a play for DJ to have to dribble then pull up for 3! Why not Gibbo who was clutch FFS!

Reply #392407 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Looks like goodbye finals for another year with Sydney beating Hawks and the gap widening. Sixers rarely win away from home (and looks like cant win at home either) so another wasted season

Reply #392411 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Can we trade Ben Allen or Russell hinder for any number of the efficient professional ball players that are contributing absolutely nothing to the talent stifling Marty Clarke 3 step program? Cheers. Happy to take Petrie or Creek, or pretty much anyone from your bench. Yes, even Pero. We will throw in Larry Abney to sweeten the deal. Three for one.

Reply #392415 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Thanks DB... What was the crowd like at the end???

Reply #392417 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

i watched online and they were screaming for blood! Sounded like a decent number but not sure of numbers though mate.

Reply #392431 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

My guesstimate is 4350 . They were pretty good in support for the sixers . No real emotion at the end.
Most are good looking girls .

Reply #392456 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Why not Gibbo who was clutch FFS!"

2-16 13% isn't very clutch

Reply #392461 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Before you guys call for Marty's head (again), perhaps you need to review DJ's effort in the last minute.

He was responsible for blocking out on the Cedar free throws, he let Holmes get it.

He had the 3pt play drawn for him, he decided to head fake the guards when he is 6'10 and got the ball stripped.

Reply #392468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke must go ! Enough is enough ! 3 seasons of bullshit ! We have had enough :(

Reply #392501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR, crowd was pretty supportive until it was beyond hope (or when it required a prayer) and then it was that lull of "Feel sad, but not surprised. Wonder if Marty will get sacked after this?" Team were still cheered off court, at least from what I could hear in my area.

Gibson said something on the mic after the game to the tune of thanking fans for their support.

Reply #392503 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The 36ers are in deep shit. Sorry, I don't normally swear on here but this is getting beyond a joke and its worse because we actually have a pretty good roster who SHOULD be winning.

Our under played, under paid import is let go on the recommendation of a coach who seemingly has trouble accepting that what he's done for the past 2 and a bit years has simply not worked. Yet he won't change his game plan, just the players.

Our CEO resigns a week later.

We're now in a 4 game slump, including losing twice to the bottom team who were 0-10 before beating us to start our slump and their own revival. What price we end up below the Crocs on the ladder come the end of the season?

Since we beat Perth twice in a week, the Wildcats have won 5 and we've lost 4. WTF is going on????

On the plus side, the crowd was 4,493 which is our 2nd highest for the year (the Hawks game attracted 4,720). Going into the game I thought we'd have struggled to get more than 4K through the doors tonight so a great effort by the fans of the 36ers to still support their team. Just a pity that once more their effort was rewarded with yet another home loss under Marty "I won't change my coaching no matter how much we lose" Clarke.

In the game report on the NBL website Clarke confirmed that Mitch Creek has ruptured his achilles like Crosswell did last year so forget him for the rest of the season unfortunately. It makes Clarke look like a complete fool for cutting CJ Massingale doesn't it (CJ probably feels for his now ex-team mates but I doubt he's shedding a tear for Clarke and his mate Radford). Not that Clarke needs much help looking like a fool, his NBL coaching record and his attitude towards both it and the 36ers fans shows that all too well.

I wonder what Boti will have to say in his article on the game? Should be interesting.....

Other than all that, I'm not going to comment on the players performance because I haven't seen the game (couldn't afford to go) and didn't see it online. Though from the stats it looked like Schenscher at least had a decent game leading the scoring and rebounding for the 36ers, and keeping Luke Nevill relatively quiet.

Reply #392504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus,

Exactly with DJ, but that is Marty's fault. DJ is f**king useless and Marty has let him throw up shit shots, play no D and get away with it all three years. Meanwhile Petrie sits on the bench.

Glad to see Marty and DJ gone from this club one day.

Reply #392507 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Holden, the battle of the Lukes was actually pretty entertaining. Ervin had an amazing start, Sixers kept leaving the corner three open, and Crocs got out to a 15 point lead at one point. Adelaide clawed it back and had the lead for a while. Crawford then hit a few shots and we gave up an o-board which we shouldn't have.

Certainly didn't close out the game well.

Reply #392515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was at the game, was an average effort from the team we played well for basically 2 and a half quaters, Ervin tore us a new one in the first quater and it was hard to win after that, we did well the next couple of quaterst to catch up then faded once Creek went off.

Schenscher and Creek - great games.

Always thought we should run the play through Schensch as the Crocs did successfully for 2 seasons, and it looked like good things usually happened when we got him involved in the play.

Creek was playing AWESOME, had he not got injured i think the whole fan base would be campaigning for him to start and play 35 mins over Cadee or Weigh. Its a moot point now, but Creek is a future star for sure, well ahead of Cadee right now, which was one of my frustrations with Clarkes rotations all season.

We had 3 of our starters score less than 10 points, you are not going to win many games with that happening imo, gee Massingale on for Cadee once Creek was out would have been handy, could of even got that last couple of scores that Cadee and Johnson didnt get and won the game, thanks Marty. The playoffs to me are dead unfortunatly, i think the top 4 are locked in, the only we could make it now is if we changed coach, regardless of the import we get. Even if its LeBron he would just be played 15 mins and told to stand in the corner, so its time for the coach to change.

Coaching change time is NOW, if money is the issue, dont get the import, see if Smyth/Brett will do it for the imports money and finish the season with the players we have, the playoffs are done, so may as well just play the players we have, work out who we want to keep, and even give Brett a trial as coach to see if he can/wants to do it longer term with Smyth and/or Ninnis helping him, a bit like the kings with Heal last year, and look at them now. The coaching change could re-invigorate the fan base and playing group, so please DO IT, if you dont it will cost you more through lack of attendance than what it would cost doing it, surely someone would take the gig for $40k to see out the season and a trial for it more permanently if it goes well. I hope to read about a change of coach Monday morning, its seriously a no brainer.

Seriously surely one of Wright, Joyce, Stacker, Molloy, Smyth, Westover, Gleeson, Maher, Ninnis (just off the top of my head would) do it for the imports money $40k for 3 months then if it goes well get the next couple of seasons and a pay increase. Pass a hat around the crowd to pay one of these guys to coach, they will be so glad its not Marty most people would put in atleast $1 each, thats $4k a home game, dont let money be the reason for killing this season/club, when there are viable alternatives, ie using the imports salary to hire a new coach.

Ideally we change coach and get the import, but if money is that tight, just change the coach, and get a aba sf (Rashard Tucker??? or a young local player/development player) for the absolute minimum salary to replace Creek and leave Daly in for Massingale, surely thats possible.

I was watching the 1st quater, how Cadee ever got matched up on Ervin is beyound me, should have started Creek and used him or Gibson match him up, then the offense, they mentioned it was complicated , does anyone get it, and what does it achieve, they looked like headless chooks until they started throwing it in to Schensch and we started doing ok.

Marty you are a good developer of talent, you have proven that and young guys love you, but you are not a great game coach, please stand down, if you dont want to lose your salary just offer to work with the players and develop them, let someone else do the games.

Reply #392516 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Me , I didn't expect to win , sat under the backboard behind the cheerleaders . Ervin opened up a big lead.
Creek got it back. Heard a coupla slaps on Ervin drives , at the end he gave one back to Gibson , a bitta booing Ervin in the end ...and some cheerleaders to lead me off in a cheerful dance

Reply #392517 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti's article is up. Fairly regular report.

Reply #392520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massingale is too good to be with the 36ers anyway. Clarke made a very very bad decision sacking him. Now Creek is gone, Crosswell is just crap and they dont have an import.

Just not something an NBL coach would do.

Reply #392525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sigh, the whole situation with the 36ers has turned to poo, even blind freddy can see the red flags in the distance.

We sack a gun import. on a 4 game losking skid to the worst team. The chief executive officer or whatever her name is resigns. Our gun youngster Creek gets injured and there is no guarantee of even having a stadium next year. We aint gonna make finals either.

Sad saga for the 36ers.

Reply #392530 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I am gutted for Mitch Creek, more so than losing our 4th in a row or how the club is generally going or even wanting to bag Marty Clarke. A lot of us 36ers fans, myself included, have been pushing here and elsewhere for him to get more court time for a while now. He finally gets his chance (though not under the best circumstances with CJ's sacking) and he goes down for the season with an injury that no one could have seen coming.

No disrespect to CJ Massingale intended but we are definitely going to miss Mitch more than we will CJ.

I think I can sum my feelings up in one way......Ah shit.

Reply #392543 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

wtf, can beat the Wildcats twice but get thrashed by Melbourne and drop 2 games to Townsville? :facepalm:

Reply #392562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide would have probably won the last two games with Massingale lol. Surely if Marty Clarke has any integrity he will step down now. Need to get a real coach in there and end this now.

Reply #392567 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Let's get one thing straight. You didn't lose to the 0-10 Crocs.

That team had Ben Allen as its starting centre.

The 3-0 Crocs have Luke Nevill in career form as their starting big man with Ben Allen getting 0 minutes last week and 3 this week. There's a big difference.

On top of that, Ervin has finally re-adjusted to the league and is finally settled into his role (remember he didn't go through training camp).

Outside of Norton, Townsville's bench is atrocious, which is why Adelaide was repeatedly allowed back into the game. The commentators would say "oh Adelaide are really clawing their way back into it with some strategic defense" when it was really just that the Townsville bench was on and coughing up unforced errors and chucking shots at the rim.

This starting five is one of the best in the league, if not THE best.

The bench is just that bad...

Reply #392573 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Was interesting watching Gibson get forced to do that talk at the end... He really didn't want to... and I don't blame him. I have to say I've liked Gibsons body language this year. Doesn't sulk or whinge just goes about it.

Reply #392575 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Absolutely.

Gibbo was the only guy that played with urgency and heart last night. The other guys seem to need a reason to get up for a close game, and the coaches don't seem to have that sort of motivational ability - which is absolutely crucial for managing a deep, stacked roster, almost more so than Xs & Os.

Reply #392577 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also: one game, fifteen threads. Fifteen!

Come on guys...

Reply #392580 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Interesting things that I got out of last nights game, the 36ers are not working as a team Gibbo telling DJ to clear out of the key and he just stood there not listening to the play being directed by our guard how dumb was that. Gibbo giving DJ a serve, DJ sulking most of the game starting to impact the team.

Luke finally getting it done! Kudos to him and Gibbo.

Is it me or does Cadee play a little soft on defence I am not sure he is all that people say he is lots of flash but little substance at times.

Mitch going down and can't remember seeing one team mate walk over and see how he was. But the opposition coach/players did! pretty sad support from the club I know where I would playing next season if I had a choice and it wouldn't be Adelaide.

The whole lack of urgency from the 36ers coaches/doctors to assist Mitch was pretty poor as well.

Reply #392624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea was very odd to see Crocs coach and players first to mitch and Woolpert had to call out the docs, what did the 36ers think was going on?

Also thought it was odd we didnt have every 36ers player/coach screaming at the umps to stop the play as Mitch was down, we gave up the 3 anyway, may aswell had a few of them helping Mitch/screaming at the refs to stop the play and not defending, atleast they would be looking after their team mate.

All class by Woolpert, Ervin, Crocs btw in helping Mitch and just how they generally carried themselves all game.

Always loved watching Ervin, also like Holmes, and now they have Neville they are basically back to being at a similar level to last seasons playoff team, wont be surprised to see them get a few more wins, they have basically swapped Neville for Schenscher - possibly an upgrade, Ervin for Gill - upgrade, Hinder for Mims - downgrade, but 2/3 upgrades and an overall team upgrade for me, if they clean out the Cedars, get a versatile import either a 2/3 or a 4/3, and keep everyone else, they could be good next season.

Reply #392629 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

KJ, I know he had shot shit but that shot over Nevill was a clutch ballsy shot. To have Marty then draw up a play for DJ to put the ball on the floor to me was bewildering. Either call the play for the guy who just kept you in the game and hopefully has just switched his radar on (finally), or maybe have DJ flare to the corner to get the pass for the 3.

Not have him(DJ)put it on the floor out the top surrounded by small guards.

Just my thoughts on the last play.

Reply #392635 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Re Johnson's last play:

Drawn up by coach or initiated by the player, either way it was the wrong decision at the time, but to rely on such a shot to tie the game confirmed that things went astray well before that point.

At about the 5 minute mark of the last quarter I turned to a mate and suggested that Peter Crawford was about to have a significant influence on the outcome of the game. I call it an educated guess more than a lucky hunch because too often in tight games I've seen the Sixer's lose leads due to the opposition stringing together consecutive, or near to consecutive, successful 3 point bombs. The Sixers seem to struggle stopping these types of shots in the closing minutes of close games.

Now my two cents worth (and it's a little lenghty so my apologies):

The endeavour and belief among the team and coaching staff that they'll get past this untimely rut is apparent, and commendable, but I'm inclined to believe they don't recognise what the team's real need (and with respect to the organisation I accept that yes, this is little more than another opinion for someone who is nothing other than an armchair expert!).

Nevertheless I've form my opinion on observation and the club's recent focus on finding an import who is a knock down shooter and can also create their own shot (which is a challenge to find in any circumstance).

While I can understand why the organisation believe they need a player like this, I don't actually think this is their most critical need; I think another lockdown guard based defender with a reliable long range shot should be their focus, moreso now with Creek going down.

The team is, in my humble opinion, too reliant on Gibbo in the closing minutes, i.e. defend the best opposition guard, make big plays, control the offence.

The addition of defensive guard specialist with range would make the team more capable of locking down the most threatening shooter on the opposition team. It has been those type of players who have been most effective for opposition teams in many of the close loses I have witnessed in recent times.

Sadly neither Cadee (at this point, but I hold hope for the future) or Crosswell address this need nor does Weigh (but not due to his lack of effort). Creek was usually sitting on the pine in the final minutes, which I put down to his limited shooting range.

Having both Gibbo and a specialist guard defender will allow the talls to protect the key and give Weigh an opportunity to focus on guys like Abercrombie, Saville, Blanchfield and Redhage (small forwards who can hit from range with a good clip but won' necessily beat him off the dribble).

The Sixers have done enough for most of their games to suggest to me their most pressing need isn't a 'go to guy' who can be a game winner at the offensive end, I believe this is suitably covered by the offensive talents within the team. I think their search should be for a different type of player, one who is a game saver, because too many games have been stolen away by opposition shooters.

Reply #392662 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

BigAds, I agree with most of what you are saying. Gibson is asked to do too much and Cadee isn't ready yet, so we need a starting quality guard. Defence is important from this player, sure, but I think some of the problems the Sixers face on the defensive end are related to our bigs not being either quick enough (Luke) or savvy enough (DJ) to get to the right position often enough with their help D. (Hence opponents getting open looks at threes late in games.)

I think you also nailed it when you mentioned why Creek is not seeing many minutes late in games. If he could shoot, he'd be out there. For that reason, I agree with you, the SG HAS to be a good 3pt shooter. Ideally, we need a go-to scorer though, who can also score on drives and pull up jumpers, because that would take so much pressure of Gibbo, who just is not a great natural scorer. I'd love Gibbo to be able to just run the offence and play great D, instead of feeling like he has to try to score all the time as well.

Reply #392684 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Ive gotten to the stage that the sixers are all about entertainment. Yeah its great to walk away with a win, and a smile but if you get involved, then its a good night out. If not, a waste of money.

We are at a point where finals wont happen. Sydney are Wins in front. Simple really. We have a crap coach, they have a hated one but he knows his stuff.

What irks me more was that Gibbo came out at the end and thanked the crowd for their support. Thats great, but if it were to have meaning, perhaps Captain Clarke would be a better choice. But then again, Clarke is much like the Captain of the Costa Concordia. All wind in his sails until busted.

Reply #392693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek was already taped and clearly carrying an injury and allowed to play. No one else to blame FWIS.

Reply #392694 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He was taped, but doesn't mean he was carrying an injury. You can't predict Achilles breaks

Reply #392696 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

bigads and beantown - Creek is the best shooter on the team - 66% from the field this season. No other player is above 46%. He is also the 4th most efficient scorer - about 2.5 minutes per point. The players who score faster are Johnson (1.9 minutes but at less than 40%), Petrie (2.4 minutes at ~46%) and...wait for it...Massingale (2.4 minutes per point at ~42%).

Reply #392717 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Most professional sports people such as basketball players and footballers (of any code) wear strapping around their ankles for added support which is probably why Creek was taped.

Unless Creek had previous Achilles trouble no one could have known his injury was going to happen. Even if he did have some sort of ankle injury going into the game against Townsville he was obviously cleared to play by the medical staff. And from the replays I have seen it didn't seem to affect him until that point.

If you look at how he did it, he tried to push off his left leg with his heel still flat on the floor. Even if he wasn't carrying an injury, from that sort of flat foot start a ruptured Achilles can easily happen.

Reply #392718 | Report this post

howto  
Years ago

maybe Petrie can give advice to Mitch in rehab. considering he did he achillies last season or the season before. His happened exactly the same way - just a push off the back foot to head back down court.

Reply #392722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754