Spursfan
Years ago

36ers @ Crocs NYE game

The 6ers are due for a win and are great money at $2.20. I'm putting a hypothetical thousand bucks on them.

Topic #30372 | Report this topic

lol  
Years ago

I wouldnt even put a hypothetical bet on the sixers. WE SUCK

Reply #395049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No excuses for this one. And that's a revised no excuses after thinking the same for the home loss to the Crocs the other round.

Reply #395054 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , I'd just be curious to see if channel 2 news is right
and we make the change , if we cain't win this.
Still , we gotta lose this one first.

Reply #395055 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I can't bring myself to back the Sixers in this one despite how much I think they should win.

Reply #395063 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Does anyone actually care any more?

Reply #395066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #395069 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A potential to smash the Crocs. No Holmes means that DJ and Luke should get plenty of rebounds.

Rotations are the key. It's pointless giving Pero and Tommy D an air ticket if they spent more time in the Virgin lounge on the way up than on court.

Reply #395074 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Plus it's Luke's birthday today, he meeds a descent present !

Reply #395080 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Amazingly, with two games against Townsville and Sydney in the next two weeks they could actually be in the four in a fortnight!!

I dont think they will be, but with much-needed extra guard on board it isnt time to give up just yet.

Reply #395081 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

Haven't you all learnt your lesson yet and think this game would be an automatic penciled in win for you. You had the Crocs losing both games to you so far and you lost both. Big Luke never plays consistantly so, who says he will this time. We may have Jacob out, but you also have no Creek. Crocs to win this one in another close one.

Reply #395088 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Gibbo just told me he's going to try and take charge on the offensive side tonight. 25 he reckons. Let's just see.

Reply #395095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no reason to believe the adelaide 36ers will win. Any win from here will be classified as an upset... And although I care, I've never care as little as I do now. Cold heart facts

Reply #395096 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

According to this thread, the 6ers will romp it in.

http://hoops.com.au/forum/30184-sixers-catching-the-kings-on-the-ladder/

I honestly don't think the 6ers will lose thrice to the Crox.

1) They have lost Holmes, he is the guy who breaks your heart by with his hustle. Eg. beating DJ for the O' board off the missed (Cedar?) free throw.

2) Marty will have made the necessary adjustments from the 2 'lessons learned' to date.

3) 6'ers have had game time to sharpen their edge, Crox still coming off AS break.

4) The guys are HUNGRY and want to win one for the fans and their head coach.

Reply #395103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they hungry?

Clarke's comments in the Sunday Mail article was that he couldn't fault the guys efforts?

IE it appears he is patting them on the back and telling them "she'll be right".

Has he given them the rocket they need? The crowd did but Clarke will find a way to rationalise that as "us versus them" as appears to be the case re the player's social media comments.

Reply #395110 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Surprises me that ADL is $2.20 against a TSV sans Holmes.

Do the bookies not know that there are players called Hinder and Allen in that position?

Reply #395112 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Will the Sixers win? Heart says yes, the head say geez I hope so.

Clarke confirmed Peach is struggling fitness wise so Sixers are really down to 6.5 players. Rubber Duck (or "Straight Arrow"...whichever Kristofferson nickname you prefer)is essential, if just to provide Gibbo a breather...any news on clearances, haven't seen or heard anything from the club yet?

Reply #395115 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'110..

I believe they are hungry.

They showed a half of that Vs NZB.

Now its on the team to string a whole game of that want.

Can you blame the team for porcupining themselves against the world when even the most fervent supporters are :

1) Hoping the 6ers will lose so it will be a catalyst for Marty's departure?

2) Creating and discussing threads where they propose who to axe, who to retain and who to bring in in 2013/14 when it is one week passed the All-Star Game?

3) Fans are booing the team. At HOME. On NATIONAL TV?

Reply #395117 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I am confident of a win. Still think we are a Top 3 side so tonights game is a must win and a great opportunity to get confidence and get on a winning streak with winnable games coming up. Time is Now !

Reply #395124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs to win this in a nailbiter.

Reply #395137 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

normally id take an interest, but wont tonight.
you're only as good as your last game is a quote and after what i saw, a great half and a tooled half. nup. not interested

Reply #395140 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

Can't remember when crocs last lost on New Years at home ? Crocs wil dance all over Adelaide tonight ....

Reply #395142 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Always a first time for everything

Reply #395152 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Without Holmes I will pencil the sixers in to win. Bitter sweet want the team to win, want them to lose to force the sacking of Clark, never willed this team to lose before.

Reply #395155 | Report this post

Quincy  
Years ago

No import as stated on 10 news,eeek Petrie injured will need to win to stay in touch with Sydney,Win tonight and Friday will give us some much needed confidence and knocking on the door come finals .

I think this is the turning point tonight.

Reply #395157 | Report this post

Boo who  
Years ago

Looking very good strong work Luke and dj .Marty here we come 2013. Play four quarters buoys and game is ours.a believer. Start of run to finals I am with Marcus Marty deserves opportunity

Reply #395164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Marty deserves nothing but a plane ticket home. This team should be winning a game like this, very talented squad that has very much under performed.

Good luck to the players, I support them and them alone at this stage.

And look what happens when you use Luke Schenscher a vocal point and not some odd decoy, results that become consistant.

Reply #395165 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Focal point maybe?

Reply #395167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome 3rd quarter, Adelaide really are a consistant bitch to toher bad teams in this league come the second half of games...

Reply #395168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PEROOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Reply #395169 | Report this post

Boo who  
Years ago

Get ready to party pero stepping up big. Come on Steve. Bring home the chocies.Sixers are looking strong.All the weigh .efforts boys

Reply #395171 | Report this post

Boo who  
Years ago

Time we got off Marty back.i love the Sixers.

Reply #395172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 Hinder 3's in the 4th killing off our chances... just another way to lose a game we should win...

Reply #395173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make it 3 for Rusty FML.

Reply #395174 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

Lovin rusty go u good thing !

Reply #395176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide need a 3 for the tie, goodluck getting an open look.

Reply #395179 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Please don't blame Marty.

Reply #395180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orrr just settle or a 2 point attempt in the last 10secs. FML this is a badly organised team. Couldnt organise a rot in a brothel!

Reply #395181 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

2 point miss when we are 3 points down with 10 seconds to go. Yep I will drink to that

Reply #395182 | Report this post

Boo who  
Years ago

Come on Sixers. Do it for your supporteters. Gibbo step now your time

Reply #395183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think i speak for all of us at this point marcus when I say drop off the face of the basketball world...

Reply #395185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game hasn't finished Marcus!!

Reply #395186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0-3 vs bottom of the ladder Crocs.

6 game losing streak.

5-9 season record and now almost out of playoff contention.

At what point will the 36ers put Marty Clarke out of misery?

Reply #395187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done, its been a great 2012, lots of promise and not a gutted fan in sight. Sit back tonight Marty, rat and the entire organisation and have a drink and a toast to a fantastic 2 and a half years at the helm.

I dont blame the coaches for another horrific loss by under that magical number of 6 points, I blame myself, for having any ounce of confidence that this season would turn out any different to the previous 2. Shame on me Marty, you got me again!

Reply #395188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with anon. Can't believe I actually got my hopes up this year.

Reply #395190 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

Yeeeeees! Go crocs go ......

Reply #395191 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

So now Townsville, Cairns and Melbourne just one game behind us. We will be bottom again soon. Way to go Clarke, FFS get rid of that prick!

Reply #395193 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I wonder who Marty and Radford will blame now. Maybe the Today Tonight story caused them to lose focus? I am sure the effort was there and they trained really hard during the week.

Bring back Symth ala Adelaide United did with Coolen. Look how well the Reds are doing now

Reply #395194 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Oh no! We lost again.

Thanks to Marty and Radford. Happy New Year Gentleman

Reply #395195 | Report this post

Boo who  
Years ago

I am gutted.if only we had our import. That hurt.still on board though. Much improved. Was dj hurt needed his fire power. Don't give up. New year new fortune. Happy hew year to all

Reply #395196 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Sick Morty!!

Reply #395199 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Guys.....Give Crox their credit, they hit shots when they counted, even Hinder.

Marty cannot be blamed for Hinder catching fire since 2005.

Reply #395200 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

https://www.change.org/petitions/to-the-management-of-the-adelaide-36ers-remove-marty-clarke-and-mark-radford-as-coaches-from-the-adelaide-36ers

Sign my petition ;)

Reply #395202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke dominates the first half then gets on shot in the final seconds. So many superb memories of the Clarke era.

Reply #395203 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Note to Nathan Crosswell, please do not attempt another spin move this Century.

Reply #395204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're a funny charcater Marcus. I dont blame Marty anymore champ, its on me the supportive fan of the last 15+ years, how dare i think the 6ers would be any good with this stacked roster. Im an ignorant simple minded fan who simply has expected too much.

Reply #395207 | Report this post

Boo who  
Years ago

Marcus correct how is it coach fault some guy gets hot once a year.illness injury bad luck. Team is hurting I am sick of our piss ant culture in this town stick with the crew.it will turn.

Reply #395209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Clarke and Radford for all you have brought the 36ers in 2012.

The comedy has been sensational.

A cross between Step Brothers and Ground Hog Day.

Reply #395210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MC dont throw Crosswell under the bus, take a look at your buddy MC.

Reply #395211 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Thanks Marty I new you would coach them to a loss. Thank u sportsbet

Now that I have recouped some of my $$ for my season tickets

Now back to the obvious sack the useless f@&k and his garden knome assistant

Reply #395212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't watch the game but followed the live stats.

Did we go to Petrie for a 2 with under 10 seconds to play when we were down 3?

Reply #395213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be a coincidence we get 3s hit on us.

Without seeing the game I would guess Hinder wasn't nailing contested 3s all over the place.

Reply #395214 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Marcus Camby your seriously deluded...does Clarke own you??

Why was Weigh subbed out (I know..who ever complains about that) when he was ACTUALLY playing hard. He was asking for the ball, taking shots and getting them. 7 points in a row, subbed out!!!!
The only reason can be he was going against Clarke's game plan and was SCORING instead of sitting still in the corner, much like he told CJ to do.

Pero should never have had game time UNLESS DJ was injured, Daly should not have either.
Gibson played less minutes than Schenscher..HUH Cadee only 23 minutes when Daly plays 17. Why are development players playing in close games. Ridiculous.

There are NO excuses for Clarke this game Marcus, he made all the wrong decisions at crucial times of the game and absolutely ruined it for us. His last play for a three point shot was an absolute waste of time, as usual.

Reply #395215 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

+1 skud

Right on the money , now lets wait for marty Camby excuses oops I mean Marcus clarke Hang on Marcus Camby.

Reply #395216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um 0-4 since Massingale was released hahahaha. Yeah it was CJ who was the problem Marty! lol.

They are playing Daly big minutes now hahahahaha

Karma coming back to bite them over their poor treatmean of CJ.

Good job Marty!

Reply #395217 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Does Marcus only get let out from his institution at night?
There are only 2 common denominators symbolising failure at the Sixers and they are the coach and his assistant. Rosters have changed significantly but those guys have remained.
Can somebody name one player who has been "coached" by these peanuts and has actually improved?
No more crap excuses, these blokes have to go now, no maybes, right now. Or there will be no more Sixers team. It is that simple I am afraid.

Reply #395218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least the players are united and as close as ever.

Means they will have a fun New Years party where no player on the team is left out and not made to feel included.

Heart warming stuff at this time of the year.

Group hug. She'll be alright in 2013.

Marty for Prime Minister. What a united society we would be.

Reply #395221 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Painting my sack Marty banner for next game now

Reply #395222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SOS the fans are begging you to rid the 36ers of these coaches. Fans are pleading, the bleeding has to stop, any move at this point is a good move, please please please.

Reply #395223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree it is time to get rid of Clarke. Get a new coach in who may inspire the team. Can still make playoffs if they act now.

Pay him out and take the losses for long term gain.

Reply #395224 | Report this post

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

The awkward moment when Tom Daly has the only block on the 6er's team

Reply #395225 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

My only conclusion is they simply cant afford to do it. You have to have someone ready to fill in as wel which could also be an issue.

Reply #395226 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

Marcus, you seem to forget rusty was hitting shots every time we made the playoffs for the last god knows 20 years.... We even give you 2 ex crocs, and you still can't see you got a coaching problem !

Reply #395228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many of the SO$ team post here anymore?

My suggestion to you passionate fans, instead of ripping into Marcus on here, how about rocking up at the Adelaide Arena front desk & let management know what you think.

Reply #395230 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

hit the nail on the head, Skud.

Absolutely correct in every sense of the word.

Reply #395233 | Report this post

Quincy  
Years ago

In a few weeks we will be sitting bottom soon.we are stacked team with worse current losses!next two games we will lose,seems like players are just out there only interested in their pay packets.SOS need sack Marty and give phil or al green a short term coaching contract might see new light into 2013.

Reply #395234 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Weigh more aggressive on offense and was played less minutes than usual .
Most likely SOS will make the change , now.

Reply #395238 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

.....kinda looked like weigh was gunna win it for us...

Reply #395242 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

It takes a while to convince some players however there are a lot of players out there that will score well in a 20 minute game time but score the same on a 35 minute game

Reply #395247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So so over this bullshit. Those two clowns have got to go NOW. I just don't undstand how we suck so much with this roster, it's unbelievable. Marcus camby trying to justify terrible coaching is just ludacris, you are a fool.

Reply #395248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sigh, its getting to the point where I am sick of complaining. Feel like we are all just wasting our breath.

So many errors on Clarke's behalf that are just undefendable. Why was Tom Daly elevetaed to a full time spot, as good as the guy is, he isnt quite at the NBL level and should stay as a development player for such time.

As stated above, Pero shouldnt be getting court time either in close games.

Not only that but why did it take so long for Christopherson to be signed? Why was his paperork not cleared in advance to his arrival to Australia?

After you delve deeper into the picture it appears that the coaching problems are only scratching the surface of the problems at the 36ers.

It appears as if the owners/management have very poor job managing the team, I am afriad to say but a culture of complacency and unprofessionalism has crept into the Club I love so much.

How many other professioanl teams would treat a highly respected second tier league MVP with such disrespect and disregard?

I know I am ranting but I have got to let loose as a long term follower of the club. The club needs a cluture change and that starts with the sacking of the coach and assistant coach.

The whole situation as the 36ers just plain stinks, and the club can only go downhill with the current coaching staff at the reins.

Reply #395250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sacking needs to come early this week if there is any budget for it. That's a horrible result.

If we can't beat the Crocs at home or away, who do we plan to beat? Their frontcourt was Nevill and Hinder, and that's it.

Reply #395252 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Agreed that Marty should go based on the last two and a half seasons, but credit to the Crocs guys. We (crocs) got outrebounded 27 to 37, but shot the lights out from the 3 last night 59%. Rusty 4 of 5, Blanchfield 4 of 6, pc 3 of 5, Ervin 1 of 2 and allen 1 of 1. That is what got the Crocs over the line, every time 36ers hit a shot in the last quarter, we answered with a score.

Most games if you get outrebounded by 10 and give up 13 extra shots, you get your ass handed to you, so a very good shooting display covered up some big problems for the Crocs also.

Reply #395254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pure Silk - Reply #395124

"Still think we are a Top 3 side"

Hahahaha!

Full marks to Skud & also Anonymous (Reply #395250)

Somebody needs to get these coaches some big shoes & a wig so they can look like the clowns they are. Actually, Rat doesn't even need the wig.

Reply #395255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36 's still have not won a game since CJ was axed.Great insight that by the coach with what was wrong with the team.

Reply #395256 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Boo Hoo" "Clarke deserves an opportunity" - The singular funniest thing I have read on Hoops for years!! Exactly how much opportunity does he need to win? Should we get him a more stacked roster? Maybe we could sign Kobe for him?

Marcus Camby, your posts on this thread are either the rantings of a very unstable or drunk person, or as I said before, you are the greatest troll on Hoops ever, so.....either, good luck with the medication/treatment, or congratulations!!

Reply #395260 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Skud..

Daly and Pero have seen FA court time this year.

Yesterday they saw a significant increase in court time.

Your #1 impulse is to blame Marty??

The team was playing with 6 and a half (injured Petrie) players on Saturday.

Then have to play again 48 hours later AWAY.

OF Course Marty has no choice but to give the players a rest.

Like it or not the players get tired, this has been proven again and again with double header weekends.

I can guarantee you if Marty had kept a gassed Gibbo or Weigh on the court you guys would tear stips off him for keeping an 'ineffective' player on for too long.

Can't have it both ways mate.

I know Weigh was heating up @ the 5 mins mark like you observed but Marty would have felt he needed Weigh 'fresher' in the final 2.5 mins for the last push.

If you look at the stats :

- Pero was on for 2 mins (The Horror), in that 2 mins he scored 2 points and got 2 rebounds. I think that is more than serviceable for a man who doesn't need to shower after the game on most nights.

- Weigh's sub. When he was subbed @ 5:29, the Crox lead was 4. When he came back @ 2:33, the Crox lead dropped to 3. So that was a well calculated gamble if you ask me, your best scorer got a breather AND you caught up. Weigh also did not cool off, he drained another 3 within another minute of coming back in as well as another o'board and deuce later. What else can you expect?

The Petrie 2 FGA was a head scratcher, I don't think you can blame Marty for that, or do you believe Marty asked for a 2 when down 3? The only thing I can think of is Petrie thought Gibo burned so much of the clock that there was no time left.

Reply #395269 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Guys we cannot keep bringing up CJ as an issue to use against Clarke again and again.

Its not like an unlimited pass, you use infinitely to gain entry.

Overall the jury is out whether that decision was correct, even I believe CJ was a bit stiffed.

Voice the CJ issue ONCE and let it be.

Its unfair to have weekly 'We would have won if we had CJ' jabs.

The club made a decision as a collective (with Marty's guidance), lets accept the positive and negative implications of that decision as a membership group and move on.

Reply #395271 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ good post MC

Reply #395272 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought the pass to Petrie was a smart play by Gibson, he couldnt get an open three but found a wide-open Petrie who should have made the shot. That brings it back to one with 10-odd seconds to play and you foul and see how good their free-throw shooting is.

Reply #395273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why voice it once?

If Scott had played the week after CJ was cut then I agree it is a non-factor.

However, as you so correctly point out we have been playing with 6.5 players.

Therefore, playing without CJ is a huge factor.

Who's decision was it to cut him again?

Cost us at least three games without a doubt. And that is factoring in his poor coaching.

The combination of home games and having the worst team in the league on the road twice represented an opportunity to be on a long winning streak and not losing streak.

Scott could be a gun and it is a great decision. However, wait until the New Year to pull the trigger if you don't have Scott all signed, cleared and ready to go.

Reply #395274 | Report this post

Kanda  
Years ago

Marcus go back to school your spelling is pissing me off

Reply #395275 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

However way you look at it, the facts are that as the coach of the Adelaide 36ers, Marty Clarke has failed. The team's record since he took over should well and truly speak for itself. Hopefully we can bring in the new year with a new (or 'old') coach who can get this team going.

If the 36ers let this go on much longer it shows, to me at least, that there is more wrong than just the coaching.....

Happy new year everyone.

Reply #395276 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'274..

CJ had a specific window where if he needed to be cut, it had to be there and then.

Finding an import fitting the team's culture and needs, and within the CJ budget I would imagine is not easy.

Also visas and clearances are not quick to get at the best of times, expecting and expedited process during the festive period is unrealistic. There must be some of you out there in public service or small organisations that close during this time.

One can hardly blame Marty for not pulling a replacement out of his Hat in 24 hours.

The 6.5 player issue is exacerbated by Creek going down, and Petrie's niggles.

Without those 2 events, most would agree Adelaide have an 8 man squad that rivals that of Perth's and NZ's.

At worst it was a calculated risk that didn't pay off. Marty isn't the first to take a risk, we do that too.

Why don't we use the CJ sacking again and again?

Because we are reasonable people.

Example, how would you like it if :

You woke up 30 mins late and had to come home from work 30 mins late and be blamed subsequently for :

- Dinner being 30 mins late.
- Bathing the children 30 mins late.
- Settling the children 30 mins late.
- Going to bed 30 mins late?

Reply #395277 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There is no shame in losing close games in a tough league like this, each of the losses can be justified individually and the 36ers talent is about on par with the competition meaning an expectation of top of the ladder is unrealistic.

But when you lose six close games in a row there is a major issue, especially when it is a trend from previous seasons.

This is a playoff team if they simply close games out, yet under Clarke that hasnt happened, it's time to make a move before this season is unsalvageable.

Reply #395279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HoldenV8:
"If the 36ers let this go on much longer it shows, to me at least, that there is more wrong than just the coaching....."

That's how I see it. The SO$ group would have the final say (you'd think), so decisions dumped on Marty have to fall back on them.

Question to you Marty/Radford/Marcus snipers, do really think that a coach would want to cut a player without another ready to slip straight in?

Question #2. Do the coaches prep the paperwork for imports?

Happy New Year

Reply #395280 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Marcus,

Blaming someone for all those outcomes would be perfectly reasonable.

At the end of the day, he/she should have got up out of bed at the right time.

They woke up 30mins late..so it's their fault.

You have to take responsibility for your actions.

Have to remember that coaching is a job. If I made a bad decision at work to the detriment of the company, I would be fired. If I was getting ineffective results (like poor client numbers etc), I would be fired.
Just have to remember that Marty is employed and has a job to fulfill just like all of us

Don't know how you can continue to make excuses for him.

In regards to the visa issues and time delays around the new import..Every coach should know that these delays are inevitable..Marty would have been aware of the delays, yet he carried through with axing CJ.

The result of this??

the 36ers haven't had a legitimate SG in weeks, and the results show

Reply #395284 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Marcus, to extend your analogy a bit further I would say my biggest problem with Marty is that he is 30 minutes late on everything, and stubbornly refuses to acknowledge what the correct time is. Whatever he is trying isn't working, but he still sticks with it akin to the Somme Mindset, and rather than change his gameplan (which is a proven failure) he is constantly changing players. How many have been through here in the last three years? Have the results changed? What has been the one constant?

Reply #395289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutley:

"What has been the one constant?"

Dwindling crowd numbers, & it's been a steady constant since the turn of the century.

Reply #395292 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Thankfully did not see the game, just box score. I was never a huge fan of CJ but surely it's obvious from the results that he was not the problem. Clearly a scapegoat and a knee jerk reaction from coaching staff. Would have we won more games with him? No one knows. But we certainly can say we havnt won a game without him!!!

And if as MC says we go into a game with 6.5 players, how is this player/team managment? Are injuries expected? Yes. Are players getting tired (poor boys) expected? Yes. Does the coaching staff have the foresight that all these things will happen at some stage throughout the season, clearly bloody not! Inexcusable to cut an import without an immediate replacment, costing us games and maybe the playoffs. This is not how you run a business and keep stakeholders happy. Our product reeks. Fall on your sword Marty, before they make you walk the plank.

Reply #395295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty wanted CJ gone THAT is why it keeps getting bought up. That pathetic and unethical decision has cost a great guy his job and the 36ers at least 3 wins.

He made the call to replace him without having someone lined up. A SEABL team wouldnt even do that.

Clarke has to go now or the fan base will drop. If he had any self respect he would have quit by now.

Reply #395298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop going on about cj he was an import averaging 4ppg he was lucky to be on team in first place. it is obvious marty clarke is not an nbl standard coach but some of the players should be sharing the blame, gibbo hasnt performed that well, dj has been inconsistent, also expected more from cadee, big red and weigh. Now a 4 team race for the wooden spoon

Reply #395300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4ppg in 9 minutes of court time

Reply #395302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, the other factor about CJ's release was the ruthless nature in which he was sacked on the day his 2 month probation was to end.

I understand that this is business but when we are being asked to accept loyalty, patience and understanding when it comes to Clarke the way in which CJ was cut is hard to stomach.

Clarke's own comments were that CJ was nothing but the utmost professional both on and off the Court. He knew his role was that of 8th or 9th man and he did not bitch about this.

CJ was not given a chance to succeed on the Court given his lack of minutes so people pointing to stats and shooting percentage are just as unfair as people saying that Daly and Pero deserve to be sacked on the day their probation period ended for not being good enough.

The Club distanced itself from CJ's sacking in the press release. It was clear the decision was all that of Clarke.

The issue is not one of CJ not living up to expectation. I can handle that if Christopherson were not up to standard. The coaches were working off of recommendations and highlight videos. If he were to get off the plane shorter than advertised, out of shape and not as good as advertised then that is fine. That is life as a coach in Australia when recruiting imports.

However, the coaches knew or ought to have known exactly what they were getting with CJ. They had coached against him for years. They had plenty of opportunity to scout him and get him to train with the team prior to signing him.

To get rid of someone on the day their probation period ended is disgraceful in the current circumstances given any shortcomings on the part of CJ fall well and truly on Clarke and Radford.

To do it when we didn't have a replacement ready to go means they are not only ruthless and unethical but also incompetent.

Reply #395303 | Report this post

The reason we keep having a go at Clarke is because his gone through about 25 different players in 3 seasons.

Every year totally different lineup, yet exactly the same results, we cant just blame the players year in year out when they are totally different players! Everyone with any NBL knowledge knows our list this year is one of the best in the league. How can these players all of the sudden not perform to their usual standards that they have at other clubs?

I'm well aware the Coach is always an easy target and of course he isn't the one putting the ball in the basket but this is one of the very few cases where the blame on the coach has to be heaped on Marty. We as fans and members have let this ride way too long, any financially stable club or one with board members that actually knew how to run a club would have made the cut a long time ago! Any smart businessman would no this cancer is only going to spread deeper the longer its left.

Yes we all know it seems like the boards hands are tied as they do not have the funds to pay out Marty and bring in another coach but that is also a cop out. What could an NBL coach be on? $200,000 a year max, so there's half a season left... you telling me these SOS saviours could dip into their wealthy bank accounts to save our club but are unwilling to come up with a measly $100,000 to save the club they love so much from further damage? and that estimate is on the conservative side as well! Im sure there wouldnt be a coach on more money then the best players in the league!

Reply #395304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers 2012/13 season (5-9)

-def Tigers @ home by 23

-lost to Breakers @ NZ by 14 (36ers lead at 3qtr time)

-def Taipans @ home by 4

-lost to Hawks @ home by 14 (36ers lead at 3qtr time)

-def Kings @ Sydney by 7

-lost to Tigers @ Melbourne by 30

-def Wildcats @ home by 12

-def Wildcats @ Perth by 4

-lost to Crocs @ Townsville by 2

-lost to Kings @ home by 3

-lost to Wildcats @ home by 6 (OT) (36ers lead by 11 at 3qtr time)

-lost to Crocs @ home by 5 (36ers lead at 3qtr time)

-lost to Breakers @ home by 5 (36ers lead by 14 at 3qtr time)

-lost to Crocs @ Townsville by 4

Reply #395305 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I was never a huge fan of CJ but surely it's obvious from the results that he was not the problem."

This is a common misconception promoted by Boti. No one said CJ was the problem, but they needed someone better in that spot.

Few who impartially watched him clang open three-pointers off the backboard, miss box outs and lose defensive assignments could disagree with that.

Reply #395307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the expectation on c.j anyway? Point is, team shouldn't have to make roster changes to improve.

Reply #395308 | Report this post

Well if they needed someone better they should have sourced someone better to start with. Instead they thought their team would be strong enough anyway and wanted to get a budget import that would play a handful of minutes. turns out we need a bit more then that (or so Marty thinks now).

Come on why are some people here so blind to the straight up facts.

a) you dont cut the 9th guy in your rotation to shake things up

b) the manner in which is was handled was very unprofessional and a blight on the club to treat such a player like that

c) it also wreaks of amateur hour that we have now gone 4 games without a replacement? Surely any competent management would sort out a replacement first or hold onto him until one is found? instead weve gone 4 games with a man down. So that has really been a great decision to let him go hasnt it!

I'm the first to agree that CJ was hardly lighting the world on fire but the whole way it was played out has really cut deep with the knowledgeable fan. That is why many people will continue to bring it up! its not how we like to see our club run.

Reply #395310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard that the coaches had a replacement lined up and ready to go 4 games ago.

It was the CEO who was unable to contact the agent due to different time zone that failed to get organised.

She resigned soon after.

Reply #395311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Paul: I don't disagree with what you say. The 36ers would benefit from someone better than CJ. Indeed they would benefit from a better Centre than Schenscher, a better PG than Gibson, etc, etc. Geez even Miami would benefit from a better player than Lebron James is one existed.

That is merely stating the obvious.

My point was that if Clarke needed someone better than CJ, someone more athletic, faster, more dynamic, someone who would start at the 2 guard, someone that could create his own shot, etc, etc then why didn't Clarke target such a player in the off-season?

I had never coached against CJ, had an opportunity to work him out, had an opportunity to have him train and scrimmage with the rest of the group prior to signing him. However, most of the posters on this forum could tell instantly from his highlight videos what type of player he was. People on this forum were commenting that he was not overly athletic and looked a bit slow in his highlights.

It was clear to all that we weren't getting a Darnell Mee, a Robert Rose or a Willie Farley.

However, we were asked to understand that this was because we only had minimum wage to work with and CJ's role was that of a 9th man, to add some veteran smarts, provide some insurance in the event of injury and to provide some scoring off the bench.

Paul, can you please explain to me what changed?

No disrespect to Christopherson. Seems like a good bloke and player from all reports. However, signing a budget 6'2" shooter straight out of the NCAA could have been achieved by Clarke at any time during the off-season.

If Clarke happened to receive a telephone call from Donta Smith, Joe Ingles or Brad Newley saying that they wanted to return to the NBL for minimum then I would be prepared to give Clarke the benefit of the doubt and say CJ was just a victim of circumstance.

However, CJ was merely a victim of Clarke changing his mind. This was not a case of CJ not meeting expectations or not being up to his role.

If Clarke had a higher expectation of CJ than what he delivered then I call him out on his failure to exercise all due diligence given how accessible CJ was due to the fact he was actually in Australia playing SEABL.

It's like signing Jazz Ferguson from the SEABL for his speed and then claiming he isn't tall enough or signing Ivan McFarlin from the SEABL for his defence and rebounding and then saying he wasn't a good enough scorer. That can be summarised as really bad recruiting.

The irony is that CJ's signing in the end was prophetic and ultimately would have been a stroke of brilliance on the part of Clarke and Radford had they not used the 2 month probation period to cut him. Veteran smarts on the bench and insurance at the SG/SF where we were thinnest. When Creek went down and with Petrie struggling, CJ could have played 25 minutes a game the past 4 games.

I truly believe the extra depth would have got us across the line in at least 2 of the 4 games if not all of them.

If he struggled in the 25 minutes and we lost them all then Clarke would have had extra time to scout a replacement, get them cleared and would not have incurred the public relations drama that has followed.

I also watched all the 36ers games at the pre-season tournament and for what it is worth, CJ was extremely impressive. The games were being taken seriously by all. Not like he was scoring against U18 players.

Lastly, the issue with the probation period is purely financial. I understand that it avoided us having to pay out CJ what would have been a minor amount based on him being on minimum wage.

The past two seasons we have cut numerous imports who would have been much more expensive than CJ and all presumably past any probationary periods. Not like we would have been taking unprecedented action by keeping CJ until after it was clear a replacement was ready to go.

Reply #395317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MBF. That's probably not fair. You complain that as a member (mine cost $670) we should not accept it any more then suggest our owners are measly for not finding $200,000.

That's pretty rude and even though I would like to see some change I am not rude enough to suggest my membership entitles me to blame someone for not spending that much after all they have spent.

It's easy to blame everyone else but the nasty attacks some members are making doesn't help our club we all love either.

Reply #395320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with pretty all the posts here in reference to CJ's treatment, it is unanimous, clarke has to bugger off.

Reply #395322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Safe to say c.j was not being used properly in the small and inconsistant minutes he saw also ( like a number of players under marty) i.m.o

Reply #395323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny that CJ was getting bagged before he was cut for being slow, not making position, throwing up bricks and being to nervous to take a shot.

Now he is gone after doing nothing everyone acts like he was the answer to our problems.

I do remember upstairs after a game they did say they had a replacement lined up and then his father or grandfather took sick and he decided to stay.

Just after that creek then got injured.

Reply #395324 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul, can you please explain to me what changed?"

I think they expected Massingale to be a factor from the perimeter and he wasnt, Clarke couldnt have predicted an experienced veteran playing like a scared rookie and clanging wide open shots or making unforced turnovers. I also suspect Cadee and Crosswell werent performing as well as expected and they decided they needed someone better.

I have no issue with a reassessment like that. If youre import isnt providing what you want get rid of him because it's much harder to replace locals.

There's plenty of things Clarke has done wrong but cutting Massingale wasnt one of them in my opinion.

Reply #395336 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@ManuteBol...

To say "Well if they needed someone better they should have sourced someone better to start with." is rather unfair don't you think.

I mean the team needed to give the squad a try first then make a determination.

How were they to know that :

1) Cadee would shy away from the ball as a POINT GUARD.

2) That Gibbo would have to shoulder the burden/

3) CJ was not effective in his role.

You guys harp on about Marty not making adjustments, well here he is making an adjustment to the team, and....he is bagged out for it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't in South Australia apparently.

Reply #395337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But you then have to ask, is there a reason that CJ was playing like that. Especially when you consider that others under Marty have underperformed compared to previous experience, and others have blossomed after leaving Marty's system.

Reply #395339 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sure, but that's a different discussion.

Reply #395340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But one that also leads back to Marty being a poor NBL coach, no?

The result is the same, whether it's this argument or another... Marty should go.

My point is, CJ could have been effective IMO, and part of why he wasn't has to also fall back onto Marty. I don't think he instils a system or belief in the guys he coaches which leads to good individual or team performances.

One of his many shortcomings. And that's a practice/behind closed doors thing, not a game day thing. And it's indisputable that he is the worst game day coach in the league.

Reply #395343 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Marcus....
How were they to know that :

1) Cadee would shy away from the ball as a POINT GUARD.

2) That Gibbo would have to shoulder the burden/

3) CJ was not effective in his role.

THAT IS THE COACHES JOB!!!

The Coaches #1 job is to recruit the best possible players for what the team needs and to then use them to the best of their ability. So far Clarke has shown us he is remarkably good at ruining players and having them under perform. This is HIS JOB. He is HORRIBLY BAD at this job and should be SACKED for it. More so Clarke said with the sacking he wanted a player who could create his own shot, something CJ is well known for being able to do..but he was told to stand in the corner and stretch the defence. So Clarke hired a guy capable of doing what he wanted, then told him to do something different then sacked him for not doing what he told him not to do.......and blamed the bad season on him.

Then you spout this rubbish
"You woke up 30 mins late and had to come home from work 30 mins late and be blamed subsequently for :

- Dinner being 30 mins late.
- Bathing the children 30 mins late.
- Settling the children 30 mins late.
- Going to bed 30 mins late?"

Once again yes..it is your fault, you woke up 30minutes late, your job has the responsibility that you are there on time. No if buts or maybe, if you are continuously late, you would be sacked.

Then this!

"Then have to play again 48 hours later AWAY."

It was actually 72 hours, which is more than enough for a player to get over a 40minute game. NBA teams have a much more hectic schedule. AWAY means nothing in this country, 3-4hr flights will not affect players. Rugby clubs have flown into a country to play the following day, fly back and play the following day again. Daly did not need to see that much court time and Pero should never have been on the court with DJ sitting down for 7 minutes in the last quarter.

Its lucky you don't run a business, you would go bankrupt telling your creditors..ow come on give me a go, I mean I'm trying, its not my fault the product is amazing but I'm so rubbish at my job I cant sell it.

Reply #395344 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

+36 to Skud..

Reply #395347 | Report this post

To the anon that replied to me...

Not sure if you've followed much professional sporting leagues around the world but in almost all cases owners don't buy up clubs expecting to turn a profit! they do it for the passion of the club, therefore they should be prepared to accept financial loses! Many other clubs in different sports sack coaches for change and more often then not change brings a positive result, the fact that we still have not after such a deplorable run the past 2.5 years is quite frankly embarrassing on our club! Come on this state is a proud basketball state with a rich history that is being destroyed in recent times.

Yeah so a few of you "heard" a replacement was sourced for CJ before he got the sack. Another rumour that will never be proven fact.

I also dont think its unfair to try and source someone better if they wanted someone better. We all know the move on CJ was purely financial. Your not gonna find a gun Import to play for $40,000 lets face it! He was a very low risk signing as we all knew his history in Australia. Yet we lost a couple of games and Clarke wanted to make it look like something was being done about it, well Karma can be a real bitch!

Anyway im not gonna keep going on about the CJ axing to those unwilling to listen.

The key point is your banging on how Cadee wont handle the ball, and Gibbo is having to do everything etc... surely this is the COACHES responsibility to then set the standards. mate even going back to under 12's days if the coach didn't like something you were doing u got told it! The fact Cadee has been able to cruise through this season getting large minutes for virtually no production IS DOWN TO THE COACH! If Gibbo is trying to be the hero coz no one else will create their own shot will then give the others you think should be stepping up a bake! This is all basic stuff!

Someone also mentioned CJ would have been a better player if not coached under Clarke, I think we can say pretty much every player on our roster could be better under another coach as well!

Reply #395350 | Report this post

at the end of the day the do gooders of the world always pull out the "its not the coaches fault, his not out there playing" line yet every single coach that signs a contract knows they will be judged on their teams performance!

If the results are not up to scratch, then the coach is fired. That's professional sports, where money is involved.

The few here actually trying to mount a case for Clarke makes me really sad that some of our so called "educated" fans actually believe he should stay!

Reply #395352 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Skud...

So coaches should know how their players are going to fair before they even start the season or play a game?

Then we need to sack Bevo for Andre Brown, sack Gordie for Glover and Catron, sack Anstey for Braswell.

Marty tried CJ, the results weren't as expected, he was moved, like you said Marty doing his job as Head Coach (making the tough decisions).

Marty has never blamed CJ for the season's progress...6'ers were in positive territory when CJ was let go.

You totally missed the pont of my 30 mins late scenario.

It wasn't to be fired for being late, it was to show how un-reasonable it is to blame him for every subsequent event impacted by the initial 'issue'.

I am sorry I forgot they played on Friday.

48 or 72 hours....playing 6.5 players is tough even in one game.

Daly was actually quite aggressive during the time he was there.

Pero only played 2 mins mate...where he scored and got 2 boards.

Reply #395353 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@ManuteBol...

Having passion for the game != burning 100k @ a whim.

SOS are not populated with Russian Oil Billionaires.

Times are tough.

Yes you don't expect to get a healthy return, but doesn't mean you wanna throw away money.

Reply #395356 | Report this post

Listen I don't profess to know the in's and outs of coaches contracts but surely some deal could be brokered to get Phil Smyth or even Brett Maher to be caretaker coach for the reminder of the season on pittance because they unlike Clarke actually bleed for this club and i'm sure would want to help out

A similar arrangement happened at Adelaide United last season with Kossie coming back and look how that has turned out. Yes two different sports but its amazing what some passion can do at the top!

Reply #395359 | Report this post

And someone will prob reply back with "what coaching credentials has Brett Maher got?"

IF such a situation did arise and we didnt win another game for the year id actually still be happy that the club actually tried to change things up!

This season is shot, even the most optimistic fan should realize this now. Weve dropped 3 games to the bottom team, there's no way we are making finals. Lets try something for gods sake! Lets not just waste the rest of the year.

Reply #395360 | Report this post

Acie Earl  
Years ago

Just meh... The NBL sucks these days anyway. Thank fark I stopped getting tickets a few years ago.

B Grade league... 40 minute games. Adios..

Reply #395361 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"So coaches should know how their players are going to fair before they even start the season or play a game?"

Yes when all of the players came from other clubs they should..that's what scouting is for. Imports from overseas are different since most coaches don't actually see them play in person. No such excuse for CJ

"Pero only played 2 mins mate...where he scored and got 2 boards."

He also turned it over twice and was scored on easily but that's ok I think everyone here realises you only look at stat's and not the actual games

Reply #395364 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems SOS not interested in Cole wanting to put up $750,000 and working with them , otherwise would have heard . They must be happy .

Reply #395367 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Boti, hurry back from Hawaii, otherwise Jai might be the one covering the news of Marty's sacking.

Reply #395376 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@anon I was chatting with, no I think theyre two different things. The case Clarke is a poor coach is about whether ownership should sack him or not.

But until that happens Clarke's job is to put the best team on the floor as he sees fit. Massingale couldnt hit open shots so the coach decided he needed a better import. Sounds like a good decision to me.

Reply #395379 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

main stream media expecting Clarke's not safe out there

Reply #395380 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

The reduced roster is not an excuse.

Despite his potential and how much everyone but the coaching staff thinks of him, Creek was used as a bits and pieces player who was not a key part of the roster. Just look at how often he got PT in the second half of games.

The biggest issue with letting CJ go was that we didn't have a ready-to-go replacement ready. That's now 4 games we've had to play with a reduced roster, magnified when Creek went down. That's all on Marty's head. Massingale didn't set the world on fire...... but he sure would have been handy over the last 4 games.

Marcus Camby- you have got it completely wrong on the CJ release. There wasn't a specific window that he had to be cut by, it's just that the Sixers saved some money by doing it when they did. If Clarke didn't have a ready-to-go replacement it was always going to be a dangerous move. It's now bitten him in the bum. We might have had more understanding over the release if CJ wasn't the 8th import to be used under Clarke's tenure. I've always been a fan of getting a veteran US point guard as your No 1 import but once the 36ers landed Cadee and Gibson I at least understood the move. My biggest issue with the release was that it smack of placing blame on CJ, the club had no money to get anyone much better and with Clarke's import success rate was unlikely to unearth a gem.

Manute Bol's Father- I agree, it's clear to me Clarke wants the ball in Gibson's hands and Cadee has lost confidence, mainly due to the role he's been asked to play. Being as badly mismanaged as CJ was.

Reply #395384 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Skud...

You don't see the difference between CJ being scouted whilst playing in the SEABL and CJ playing in the NBL?

Actually Pero turned it over once.

Pero was not expected to beast it up in 2 mins of court time, he just had to hold fort for 2 mins whilst the others were rested.

I'm not saying Pero is great but there seemed a need to rest the bigs especially when Petrie is half his self.

Reply #395386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again. Have hears that there was a replacement ready to go. The coaches had organised it all but the CEO wasn't able to get onto the agent because of the time zone difference. Not the coaches fault. The CEO resigned soon after.

Reply #395388 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

I got you Anonymous #395388, but you just said you "heard" and you've remained anonymous and haven't named a source, so we're not exactly dealing in facts.

Reply #395391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36 reasons. Just because your not anon does not mean what you are saying is fact.

Imports do have a cut off date to be released. Have for years.

Reply #395394 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

You can cut them whenever you like, as long as you pay them

Reply #395398 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, but how much you have to pay them can depend on when you cut them.

Reply #395400 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

True. Seems likely Clarke was told if he wanted to make a move he needed to do it then to save some $$$ and ensure they had some money left to find import 9

Reply #395403 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Good call Big Ads!! I suspect Boti would be monitoring all this between swells and beachside cocktails. Half his luck.

Reply #395419 | Report this post

Bolter  
Years ago

Just getting off the subject a little. I would like to know why the Adelaide fans think they have the right to boo their team off consistently when other fans pay their money and do not do the same. Is it because they think they are better then all other humans, or are they just scum. Do they realize that people constantly notice this, and Think that it is disgusting. You are giving your state and the league a bad name.
If I was the owner. I would put the price of the damn tickets up to get rid of all the scum bags and tell the fans why I have increased the price so the nice and 'proper fans' would turn on you.
Booooooooooo
By the way, my guess is that most of you are a bunch of short arses who sat on the bench for all of under 16s and 18s and never got any court time, and so feel you have to spend the rest of your life degrading players and people , always thinking you can do better than them,
Booooooo. Hoooooooo

Reply #395431 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yeah, Adelaide is the only place where fans boo their team....regardless of course that it was the coach getting booed. And "consistently"? "Nice and proper fans" - just what every pro team needs, an unquestioning, clueless bunch of drones. Whatever.

Sick of reading about this issue, let the season play out with Marty. I couldn't care less anymore. Watching this team is like pulling teeth now anyway. Surely the only way Clarke can save his job now is a deep run into the playoffs, which I can't see happening. Then next season, if there is one for the Sixers, can be a new start. Sure, it sucks to start again, but I would much prefer it to watching the same shit we have seen for the last 3 seasons.

Reply #395467 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Speed44..

I agree let Marty's 3 year vision come to fruition.

Then @ season's end re-assess for any minor tweaks that the Sixers need.

Reply #395499 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Save your typing finger Camby, I don't actually think anyone reads your posts anymore. There are just so many and all stating the same thing. We all know you love Marty and think he will be a long term successful coach, good for you.

Reply #395513 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I didn't always think that he should stay until the end of his contract. I have just resigned myself to the fact that he will stay.

We don't need "minor tweaks", we need a major overhaul. Starting with the coaching staff. As I said earlier, the only way I will accept Marty being back, is if we make the FINALS, not just playoffs. I have had it with him, and look forward to his failure and firing.

Reply #395531 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Actually I have long stated I have no love for Marty.

I just want the supporters to 'support' the team just like the other 7 teams' fanbases do.

Booing your own team is poor form especially at home and on TV.

I don't think even Moose got that treatment.

Reply #395540 | Report this post

Blah Blah  
Years ago

Marcus,

Can't you see that those pleading for his dismissal are doing so because they DO care for the team? If they genuinely believe (and I think it's reasonable for them to) that Marty is incapable of turning this around, why would they support his continued employment?

Supporting your team doesn't just mean blind, one-eyed faith in what they're doing. It's OK to challenge the status quo, if it's not producing results. It's OK to expect more from your team & ask for them to make the moves that put them in the best situation to succeed.

Reply #395554 | Report this post

Also do you think fans are sitting in their seats thinking ... "oh we better not boo this game is on national tv!"

Reply #395563 | Report this post

howto  
Years ago

Watching the game on TV I was amazed at how seemingly silent it was through the TV - can anyone verify this who went to the actual game ? When the 36ers were up 21pts it was almost as if everyone was expecting them to hand the game to NZ or were shocked they were ahead by 21 ?

Secondly can we try and separate ourselves from Americans who boo their teams/coaches? I think we are a little classier than that.

As for a possible coach change after this week if it happens(results permitting), the horse has bolted as the season is probably null and void.

Reply #395581 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Blah Blah...

Absolutely it is a fan's Prerogative to push the team to achieve more, and seek change from the organisation where it is required.

However I would add :

1) The organisation IS TRYING to address its issues at the moment. Prime example, they have identified a deficiency in the shooting / scoring department, moved on a player that didn't fit the requirements and brought in someone that may. Lets give that a chance to make an impact.

2) Marty...

Many have called for his head. The Sixers organisation has decided to back Marty. They would have the most intel, they have the most to lose, and they know what is best for the team.

We've voice our concerns, they've heard, they have been taken under advisement and withheld any action. So a decision has been made FROM THE TOP.

Its time we accepted this decision and back the team as is.

Why carry on and cause further disharmony and disunity within the group?

Reply #395736 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@ManuteBol's Father...

No I do not expect the fans to see it is televised and be on good behaviour.

I expect the 'most knowledgeable' fans to show some class at ALL TIMES, not just on TV.

Or do you only excercise decorum when you win?

Reply #395738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:00 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754