..?..
Years ago

Christopherson after two games

Would seem that import is struggling with game structure LIke hear Marty assessment.think lad been thrown in deep end.like to see him get confidence but seems system not in place.

Topic #30430 | Report this topic

Speed44  
Years ago

Is FIBA Livestats correct? SC did not attempt one shot in thirteen and a half minutes? As a shooter?

Reply #396506 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

..?.., we don't pay by the word to post here.

Reply #396511 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Just watch the Kings Vs Sixers game. Bit harsh on the young guy, To come in and be a shooter. When we don't have an offence. I think he was thinking there was a structure, until Gibson told him. Nah man we just run around and act like there is. unfortunately he's another guard, needed him to be a 3. Maybe he might get some shots in his driveway.

Reply #396514 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I wish hes visa took another week to clear, not a good way to start.

Reply #396517 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I am impressed by the way the club managed to get his name on his jersey in time for his first game. Normally that takes much longer.

There, I found a positive.

Reply #396518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol they let massingale go because they wanted someone to do more off dribble and then they go and get this guy...

Reply #396520 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

In 13 minutes, they can't run one play for him to get a good look? Seriously, WTF is going on here?

Reply #396522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should not blame him personally it was the Judges offer " Life or import spot in Adelaide"

Reply #396526 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Well may I say great work Marty you f.....g hack.

Why he sacked CJ is just the definition of stupidity. Good to see Marty go now

Reply #396529 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

This is just another import who could have had a good future in the league but will be destroyed by Clarkes lack of ability.

2 weeks training with the team and no plays for him, we put him on with 2 pg's one who cant shoot so he is double teamed.

I feel sorry for him, his confidence will be killed like CJ's was all because Clarke doesn't know how to use players..and signed the wrong player for the team.
After Creek was injured we should have never have signed a 6ft1 SG

Reply #396530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In just 2.5 seasons.

Craig Winder
Troy DeVries
Eddie Shannon
Ron Howard
John Williamson
Chris Warren
Diamon Simpson
CJ Massingale
Scott Christopherson

Reply #396542 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

If rumours of Dorsey, Farley, Williams wanting the spot and willing to come for minimum, i think we should take one of them up on the offer, i know Williams and Farley are old but i bet all 3 would be better than Scott, no disrespect he has been brought into a bad situation and not used correctly, but would love to see a new coach and one of these imports or SC used correctly in the next game

Reply #396544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Scotty can get going for you guys, he is a good shooter, and he did do some great things at Iowa State last year. I don't know if its his lack of confidence in himself, his team mates lack of confidence in him as in they just haven't had enough time to build some sort of chemistry, or the coach just not using him correctly. What ever it may be lets hope they can get it figured out and the Adelaide 36eres start winning.

Reply #396550 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I don't think Christopherson is as bad as his first two games. Remember he's only had a couple of weeks to get used to how this team plays. Some players still haven't got it and they've been here for the entire season or longer, so I think I can forgive the new guy at this stage.

Once he gets his shooting confidence up (remember CJ also had his woes early on), and hopefully a coach who actually can run plays to get him open shots that he can hit, his confidence will lift (Clarke doesn't even run plays for Stephen Weigh who is supposed to be our best outside shot, so why should we expect plays for Christopherson?). He doesn't seem the creative type, more the 'get me open shots' type on offense, which means he needs plays run for just that.

Other than that, yes his first two games have been disappointing. But then so have the teams past eight games....

I kinda feel sorry for the bloke. He's come into the team on a losing streak and finds his new coach, the guy who recruited him, fighting for his job. Factor in things like his Visa problems and trying to learn Clarke's complicated system and it can't be easy.

Reply #396555 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This guy is really not on a lot of money. Homicide was on $200k+ at one point in the NBL. I don't know why people think he'd be willing to play now. Or why we should get him when no other NBL team seems keen to tough him any more. He has a gig in Lebanon going by Asia Basket.

Reply #396560 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd rather have Ron Dorsey than Homicide if either were prepared to play for league minimum.
Dorsey is athletic and can shoot the 3ball and as the Breakers found out in the playoffs the season before last, he can handle the clutch. That Tigers team was an absolute train wreck so I would tend to judge him more on his season at Cairns in a positive team environment than the season at the Melbourne and their dysfunctional situation.
It is a mute point as they went with SC.

Reply #396562 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@Mystro

I guess the sixers would be such a positive team environment for Dorsey after 8 straight losses. hmmm no train wrecks here.
You get the import you pay for.

Reply #396564 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No train wrecks at Adelaide, just a team that can't get over the line in tight situations. Who is the clutch go to guy? Who puts his hand up? Who's the veteran that makes the young guys think "we got this, we just need a stop and then a score"?

Reply #396566 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Homicide's agent sent an email to a few teams saying he is willing to by for "SEABL" money. He's playing in Leb at the moment but doesn't like the lifestyle and wants to come back to Australia. As far as I know the 36ers have turned him down a number of times prior to this season.

Dorsey was keen, but in recent weeks (after offering his services to Adelaide) has signed a contract to play in Poland. Despite not having a great start to the season he's really enjoying it. So Dorsey is 100% out now.

But give Christopherson a couple more games.

I think it's interesting that Clarke said they wanted someone that could create their own shot, which is the main reason why they released CJ, yet in the press conference last night when asked what Scott's role on the team was, to hit shots when he's open etc. Pretty much the same role CJ had.

Reply #396567 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Another interesting import that was rejected, Cedric Jackons former college team mate Ryan Williams.

Great defender. Players the 3. Solid outside shooter. Great at creating his own shot. And as you can see below.. inSANE dunker!

Close to signing with a NBL team during the 2010-11 season, but they could not afford to cut the import they had. Last season he already had a contract.

Here's some links
here

here

Reply #396568 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Just add SC to the list of players who were not good enough in Adelaide. Only problem is most are good enough everywhere else.

Reply #396569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"remember CJ also had his woes early on"

He had his woes the whole time. Couldnt hit a shot.

Reply #396573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't help that the coach tells you to sit in a corner, not to drive and create because we have " slashers" , stupid coaches

Reply #396575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

feel sorry for new import but only a little sorry if he was smart he would have checked out the 36ers when the offer came in an seen that this is the wrong situation for him he will end up getting 5 to 10 mins a game and people will rubbish him

Reply #396584 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

""remember CJ also had his woes early on"

He had his woes the whole time. Couldnt hit a shot."

CJ couldn't hit a shot yet shot 41% from the field and 93% from the free throw line? That would have him as the best shooter playing the guard positions (infront of Gibson, Cadee, Crosswell, Christopherson, Daly) in the team unless you include Creek as a guard in which case CJ's shooting percentage would be 2nd best. Regardless, of how he shot the 3 he shot from the field at 41% which includes his 3 point shots.

Reply #396589 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

I dunno about the Kings game but on numerous time against Crocs, SC was open but the heroes of the team had to go for the most impossible of shots which the Breakers could nail. So a little harsh after 2 games.
The 2 in the third quarter were rushed with 4 seconds and then less than 1 second.

if a black import gets blood tests done on him (Mike Chapell), then this kid gets a fair dinkum chance. All hailed him the savior as we did when Gibbo came into the fore. Not gonna happen. The titanic hit the iceberg already, its a matter of time. And down we go by the head with Clarke and Radford steering the ship

Reply #396615 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Guys I think you are being too hardsh on SC.

It is rare that someone just steps in and makes an immediate impact.

In a way it was 'easier' for Dunigan to make an impact as his scoring was not the requirement at the fore.

He could make his impact as an intimidator, rebounder and screener.

SC comes in as a shooter / scorer...and is able to make an impact when he is open, shame he doesn't have a few more moves but its early days.

Remember some Wildcats supporters were calling for Lisch to be fired in early 2010 season.

Reply #396626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the season, like someone else who shares the same pronunciation of his surname, I hope he enjoys the highway, man!

Reply #396639 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

Yea im prepared to give SC a shot, my initial point was if Dorsey had offered to take the job at what we could have afforded as Nat suggests we should have signed him straight away, as he is proven at NBL level and fills our need of good shooter, can score in the clutch, also a good athlete and defender so helps fill the void Creek leaves aswell.

I have nothing against SC, but id like to know why the coaches chose him over Dorsey who you could be pretty certain he would be able to come in and get you 10 pts, 5 rebounds and play some solid defense straight away, which SC hasnt proven to be able to.

A Gibson and Dorsey backcourt would be far better than what we have now imo, Dorsey isnt the greatest import ever, but for guys who are willing to take the money we have on offer surely he is the best and most proven at NBL level and is not overly old,he is around 29 from memory.

If you are not going to take the NBL proven guy ala Dorsey, you need to be able to justify why the other guy is better imo, especially if both would be willing to play for the same money.

Reply #396640 | Report this post

CJ Massingale  
Years ago

LOL!

Reply #396647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the right plays, could be useful. Expectation shouldn't be overly high, given our Australian talent and cap space.

Reply #396648 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

Thats the thing though, apart from gibson our Aussie backcourt is weak imo, Cadee has potential but isnt there yet, we needed an import who could start with Gibson than need to use him in a way that suits his style to make him effective.

I almost guarantee if we had started either SC or CJ with Gibson, played them 25 mins a game, run some plays for them, just copy kings for Madgen if coaches cant create any, they would have been more effective than the Cadee/Gibson backcourt and we would have won a few more games.

Our young Aussie talent is good but a Cadee/Gibson backcourt is not going to be a playoff/championship team right now imo, and not playing the import enough or in the right way has made this issue worse imo. I can definatly see why Joey bought in Deleon to play with Gibson last year and used Cadee as a back up,Cadee may not have liked it but thats where Cadee is at right now and how he should be used imo.

Reply #396652 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Still cant get over CJ getting sacked. Clarke is a moron for doing that.

Reply #396662 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Guns..

The team has moved on.

Please find it in your heart to do the same.

Reply #396663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope Marcus, Clarke is still a moron.

Reply #396665 | Report this post

Anonalso  
Years ago

Clarke sucks at selection of imports. This is clear!

Reply #396672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

JA, I think you're right. Happy to get Cadee in Adelaide, but I think Cadee/Gibson is a can-get-away-with-it backcourt rather than championship backcourt.

Could've had Hurdle on a budget, I imagine. I heard that the Hawks considered Christopherson actually?

Reply #396674 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

yea, imagine how good a Gibson/Hurdle back court with Cadee still playing around 20 mins off the bench would be, a big improvement imo.

Reply #396691 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anonalso...

Thats a bit Harsh.

What about Simpson?

Reply #396692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a pretty tough gig being an import for the Sixers at the moment, they have so much pressure to perform and they are the easiest target for those looking to distribute blame for an under performing team, but for me the biggest issue is just the system they are being made to run.

All the players are not being utilised within the current system, especially the imports. Look at a team like the Hawks for example. Geordie seems to develop his offensive system based upon the strengths of his team. Clarke seems to emphasise the system over the players i.e. the system will get the results if players get to the spots they have to.

I love the way Geordie coaches his team. They make an effort to get Oscar three balls from the wings, Sav and Davidson's mid range games are utilised, Hurdle and Martin are encouraged to run the breaks in transition and get to corners, Deleon is given isolation plays and Gruber is their glue guy that gets second chance points. He coaches to the team he has and they perform close to their maximum potential.

Isaac you said the Sixers could have had Hurdle but I'm not really sure how much difference that would make in the Sixers system. I'm sure if SC was playing at the Hawks he would be running the break with confidence and have a series of plays run for him (i.e. pop outs on pick and rolls, swinging it in reverse on the perimeter, kick outs from Davidson) to ensure he got some good looks from the three to utilise his strength. It wouldn't surprise me if he averaged 10-12ppg playing his role.

One of the most frustrating things this year about the Sixers has been their inability to play to their individual strengths. Weigh, Gibson, and the imports are great three ball shooters when given open looks, but they never seem to get them. Schenscher is hard to contain down-low, but rarely gets the ball down low early and when he does he's usually triple teamed. Cadee, Creek and even DJ (compared to most 5's in the league) are great on the fast break, but we never see them in the open court. Petrie and DJ are great from mid range, but too often they find themselves out on the perimeter.

This team really could be good if their individual talents were utilised. I don't necessarily think the import should bare all the heat. Maybe the system should.

Reply #396694 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

Agreed, that is the exact reason we need the coaching change #694

Reply #396700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a tough gig being an import in any team when the import is not up to the standard.

Another weak selection, someone definitely got the wrong intel on this guy. Not his fault, but not what the 36ers need, not that Clarke has been able to work out how to utilise any of his key players over nearly 3 years anyways. Still wonder what couldve happened with Craig Winder, he was the one who i felt had the potential but struggled in such a rigid system.

Reply #396710 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

exactly, would love to see Winder or even Howard play for someone like McLeod as a SG and given a bit of freedom to play their game, both could have been stars and among the leagues leading scorers imo.

Reply #396712 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hurdle's 11 points at 38% would probably have 36ers fans calling for his head!

Reply #396713 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

Hurdle is a Good defender and good athlete and those numbers are better than Cadee or either import we have had, and he would have likely helped us win a couple of these games, so knowing its a budget import, i think most fans would be happy with Hurdle, id try and sign him for next season and pair him with Gibson if i was the 36ers, i reckon he is a decent import who could get even better

Reply #396718 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Yeah, agree. It is frustrating the way imports have been used under current coaching staff. All seemed capable, when used properly. I think most would thrive under betting systems and coaching.

Reply #396721 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I still think Adelaide fans would be calling for his head, especially as he isnt the closer the 36ers so desperately need. Many were calling for Devries to be sacked when he was averaging similar scoring numbers but with a better all-around game, mostly because he made late-game mistakes like Hurdle did on Saturday.

Reply #396723 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Geordie plays the same offences every week. They only change the way they go about running it each week. If they know someone goes under screens they score off the pick. If they over play on the show they use roll.
Big supporter of half court sets vs motion offences
A lot less complex when the layers are tired and the players are on automatic pilot

Reply #396725 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

True about dorsey?

Would of been perfect fit IMO. Especially when Creek went down.

Reply #396726 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

agreed re Dorsey, if he was truely available he would have been ideal imo.

Reply #396727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well aside from SC the only import shooting a worse % from the field is Hurdle's teammate Deleon.

36ers fans would be justified in calling for his head.

Reply #396728 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Thank you!!

Reply #396731 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Is that tacking the piss? After two games?

Reply #396735 | Report this post

Pantherpower  
Years ago

Does anyone no much about the guy who trained with them for a week back in August 6'7 2/3 American that was playing SEABL for Mildura and Albury, and why he was not looked at during this last period of looking for a cheap import.Reports from players that had played against him was he was very good.

Reply #397574 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

I don't think he'll cut it but I'd like to see him played extended minutes and given 12-15 shots in a game. He took guys off the dribble on friday but once he got to the key kicked it back out everytime. Clearly happier standing on the 3pt line.

I crucnched some of his numbers for the weekend on my blog, makes for interesting reading. I'd like to see him play extended minutes at the 2 with Cadee or Gibbo running the point and Weigh at the SF position ( ie not as part of a three guard combo)

http://www.36reasons.net/2013/01/scapegoat-20-look-at-christophersons.html

Reply #397669 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If they are serious about TRYING for finals then they need to mkae some changes.
How many loses in a row before you change things up???

Move Gibson to starting PG, add Christopherson to the starting lineup and see what he can do.
Run some plays to get him open and tell him to shoot or attack the ring.
He has seemed hesitant so far and the team needs him to score.

Reply #397674 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think we should get off Scotty's back, his coach is a Boomers assistant and knows how to coach juniors... But wait he has done absolutely nothing for this young bloke and Christophersson wouldn't be worth a hamburger at Perth Arena!

... But he is worth $12 and much much more, IF he was in the Wildcats lineup with a system that encourages taking the open shot and say he replaced Bartlett and got his shot attempts then Scotty wouldn't be doing worse.

Because of the sh!t this young fella has copped in the time he's been here, I'm a fan and I hope he sticks around and gets to prove himself as deadly shooters in this league are far too few and I'm sure people would pay to see him if he got his confidence up (and got used to the physicality)

Reply #403019 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Oh and one last thing, anyone ever consider Gibson coming off the bench, imagine how hard he would come at you when he first arrived on court!

Reply #403024 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754