Earlier this year
Imagine if basketball was first to 100?
Have been thinking about this for a little bit: could basketball change from timed to simply first to 100?
I like tennis because regardless of what's happened before, to win, you have to win the last point - why couldn't a similar concept work here, with the team that wins required to score the last (ie 100th) point?
Games could still be timed, with 10/12 min quarters etc, and if no team has reached 100 by the end of 4 quarters, you keep playing OTs.
- Spectators/fans know exactly what they're getting. No dour (in the NBL) 72-68 defensefests. Instead, it's a 100-96 defensefest!
- Teams play harder to get to the 100 quicker
- Strategy becomes interesting. Do you pull the starters when your team is ahead 92-78? When you reach 97, do you instantly start going for 3s to try and seal it?
- Makes distributing playing time potentially a bit trickier
- Good offensive teams will reach 100 well before the end of 4 (or even 3) quarters - this may not represent good value for money for spectators etc
- I'm sure there's other wrinkles I haven't thought of that other forum-goers will alert me to.