hoopie
Years ago

Rank the current NBA coaches

I'd be curious how you would rank the current coaches in terms of what they've achieved, and not necessarily because of the players they have.

For example, Del Negro had good results with Chicago and now has good results with the Clippers. Totally different group of players. That suggests to me he's a good coach.

Popovich is considered a good coach, but has generally been in control of who plays for him. He hasn't moved around much, so it's hard to say how flexible he is.

I reckon
1. Scott Brooks
2. Erik Spoelstra
3. Mark Jackson
4. Vinny Del Negro
5. Gregg Popovich / Mike Woodson / Kevin McHale

Topic #30633 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A cardboard cut out could coach that Miami team to a 'ship... Spoelstra is there cos he is Riley's bitch who won't say a word. Wouldn't cut it with a rebuilding style team or if he had to do more than say give it to bron wade or bosh. Popovich simply because he has been able to win and keep old savvy veterans so motivated and together is the best there is or has been for decades.

Reply #400722 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

That list is lulworthy. Del Negro was pretty poor in Chicago IMO and had a bad first year with the Clips before CP3 came over. Spoelstra too has had a prime Lebron and then a very very good D wade and Bosh for most of his short coaching steer so obviously he would be made to look good.

My list:
1. Popovich
2. Thibodeau (a lot harder to spell than it is to read!)
3. Frank Vogel
4. Rivers
5. Brooks I guess

Reply #400727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rick Carlise probably top 5

Reply #400728 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Chris Paul coaches the Clippers. Vinny Del Negro just manages the substitution patterns every now and then.

My top ten would be:

1. Popovich.

then in no particular order:

Vogel
Hollins
Carlisle
Woodson
Rivers
Brooks
Spo
Tibs
Adelman

Worst coaches: D'antoni and Vinny Del Negro

Reply #400737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget coach Spo took a very average Miami heat team to the playoffs the year before Lebron Jame and Chris Bosh decided to join the Heat.
In saying that I still don't believe he is top 5.
I'd go:
1. Popovich
2. Doc Rivers
3. Thib
4. Rick Carisile
5. Marc Jackson (unproven in playoffs etc but the way he has got the GS kids to buy in has been incredible)

Reply #400743 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ha ha Del Negro went 41-41 2 years in a row when he was at Chicago from memory. He sucks, D'Antoni could coach that Clippers team to be honest.
No way would Carlisle be top 5 either in my opinion, he has made most teams worse by the time he leaves.

1 Popovich
2 Thibs
3 Rivers
4 Doug Collins
5 Frank Vogel
6 Mark Jackson

Maybe a bit biased with Thibs as Rivers has the ring, but Thibs amazes me with what he does defensively, and with an average bench. Also this year to be 3 wins out of 1st in the East WITHOUT Derrick Rose, is unbeleivable.

Also think Dunlap would be better with a slightly older team, but am impressed with what he has done so far with Charlotte.

Reply #400746 | Report this post

UP North  
Years ago

My Top 10
Popovic
Carlisle
Thibs
Rivers
Hollins
Adelman
Brooks
Williams
Collins
Vogel

Not Top 10
Wittman
Del Negro
D'Antoni
Stotts
Casey
Drew
Scott
& its too early for:
Hunter
Vaughan
Corbin

Reply #400752 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Gee, no love for George Karl! Bloke has been consistantly good for years!

1. Popovich
2. Thibs
3. Adelman
4. Rivers
5. Karl
6. Carlisle
7. Brooks
8. Collins
9. Vogel
10.Hollins

Reply #400753 | Report this post

1. Popovich
2. Thibodeau
3. Brooks
4. Rivers
5. M. Jackson

Reply #400759 | Report this post

UP North  
Years ago

Consistently average!

Reply #400763 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

im not sure if anonymous at the top knows anything about spoelstra. He's a veeeery good coach. He is the opposite of a bitch as in his first year he benched lebron numerous times for playing outside the structure.

Reply #400767 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

1. Popovich
2. Thibs
3. Carlisle
4. Rivers
5. Karl
6. Adelman
7. Brooks
8. Vogel
9. Hollins
10. Frank

Reply #400772 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Here Here No Deal, surprised nobody mentioned Karl.

1. Gregg Popovich
2. Tom Thibodeau
3. Doc Rivers
4. George Karl
5. Scott Brooks

and I like what I've seen lately from

6. Mark Jackson
7. Frank Vogel
8. Lionel Hollins

In regards to Vinny Del Negro, I seem to recall last year that he was VERY, VERY close to getting the flick. I also read recently that Chris Paul told the organisation exactly who to go get in the off-season. It seems Vinny doesn't have a great deal of control/power over the team that a coach usually would. Negatively speaking, this could be because he's hopeless and can't coach. However, you could flip this on its head and say he's the perfect coach for the Clippers. He keeps Paul happy and doesn't have the ego of other coaches who would demand entire control over the team. Regardless of what the actual answer is, the Clips are getting done at the moment.

Reply #400773 | Report this post

UP North  
Years ago

what has karl done?

Reply #400777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

idiots put mike Woodson in your top 10 atleast

Reply #400782 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Up North, Karl has over 1,000 coaching wins in the NBA. That has to count for something right?

Reply #400785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, only 1 mention for Rick Adleman???

Reply #400787 | Report this post

rhea 42  
Years ago

brooks is a good development coach but in game he tends to suck....
that said, you can't argue with results

Reply #400797 | Report this post

UP North  
Years ago

1000 wins is amazing but what has he got to show for it? 1 Conference championship

Reply #400807 | Report this post

SpiderGoat  
Years ago

Karl has something like 20 straight years coaching over 50% w/L with different teams.

Heard on commentary the other day. Not sure where to find the records. Baseball guy had 26 years and maybe tied with another nba coach from the past. Wouldn't call him the best right now though.

Reply #400831 | Report this post

Dillon  
Years ago

What about our guy the ex 36ers HC?

Reply #400833 | Report this post

Dillon  
Years ago

What about our guy the ex 36ers HC?

Reply #400834 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754