Jack Toft
Years ago

R16: Sixers @ Tigers

Last time they met Johhny Flynn "caught fire" and embarrassed the Sixers with a welcome to the NBL.

Since that time the Sixers have seen light at the end of the tunnel, only for it to be a freight train coming the other way, usually a Townsville train.

A much needed win for the Sixers was achieved taking the pressure off the team, but this is a game that they must win if they still have any hope of sneaking into the top 4. The Sixers are bottom at the moment, but are on 6 wins with 3 other teams, one being Mebourne.

There's a few things going for the Sixers in this game and with Luke back, there's a real chance that the Sixers will get the win. BUT, for that to happen, some pretty simple things need to happen IMO.

1. Johhny Flynn. A fire extinguisher is needed. Tom Daly would be perfect.
2. Get to the basket. Stop fluffing around like a chick in a fashion shop. Be aggressive in the key and slam that rock in the bucket.
3. Defence. The zone D seems to be working, so maybe that is the best D structure for this team.
4. Timeouts. For crying out aloud! If the team hasn't scored for 4 minutes of play and is looking goofy, call a time out to get the ship back on track.
5. 4 Quarters. The Sixers go into the half time break IN FRONT in a majority of games, yet the 3rd Quarter is the "choke quarter" and the 4th Quarter they run out of steam at times. What strategy has been effected to ensure this doesn't happen this game?

Bottom line. Sixers should win

Topic #30642 | Report this topic

Quickie  
Years ago

A loss tomorrow will end any chance of making the playoffs!!!

Reply #400914 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Actually last time they met it was Chris Goulding who caught fire and blew them out. Sixers didnt show up that night.

Reply #400917 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Because of the mini table that may well happen at season end, the 36ers need every win possible over Tigers and Taipans to offset the 0-4 Crocs series.

These games are almost more important than games v Perth and Breakers because the head to head is thrown out if there is a 3 way tie in the last round.

Of course need to win as many as possible just highlighting the mini series that will most likely occur at this stage.

Reply #400918 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

The only thing I care about is Jonny Flynn not getting injured so I can see him play in Adelaide on Feb 10 (first NBL game I've been remotely interested in attending for years).

Reply #400934 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Melbourne's loss to Cairns will see the Sixers facing a very aggressive Tigers outfit.

Reply #400964 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

This game is Flynn Vs Goulding Vs The Sixers to see who can score the most.

Reply #400967 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I just hope the Sixers are more aggressive around the key in offence and adopt the Sturt approach to defence

Reply #400969 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Yes Jack - Flynn carved the 36ers up in that game. He took 17 shots and only hit 4 of them but he threw 7 assists. Since then, he's got a better shooting eye and is hitting his shots. It's also no coincidence that Goulding has emerged since Flynn arrived. At the same time, Scott has been less prominent as a scorer, but Melbourne has been better balanced as a result.

I just hope the 36ers are well ahead with 3 minutes left, because Melbourne has at least 2 guys who can be the go-to guys at the death and Adelaide has no-one who's been able to take over tight games at the end. Go Sixers!

Reply #400984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get on the half time/ full time bet.

Adelaide/melbourne $5.75 money for jam.

even the draw/melbourne $31

Reply #400987 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goulding came into that last game against Adelaide on a bit of a roll after three good scoring games and exploded against some average 36er defence. He is coming in off some decent form again so Adelaide have to make a focus of pressuring him to put it on the floor and drive into traffic.

Melbourne arent great at using their bigs so if you goad their guards into rushed shots youre well on the way. Not sure Adelaide's defence is up to it though.

Reply #400993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you guys all still drunk from straya day? We are going to lose this one for sure, Flynn/ Goulding is better than our combo of Gibson/Crosswell/Daly.

They have been playing well lately and the game is in melbourne, another loss here.

Reply #401026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say the 36ers on talent but we are coached by Marty Clarke and Mark Radford. So firmly with the Tigers.

Reply #401035 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Gaze is saying exactly what's wrong with DJ..why are you shooting three's constantly.

I want Ballinger back :(

Reply #401038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad to see someone agree with me anonymous, no way we gonna win on the road with clarke.

Reply #401039 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

This has to be the most frustrating sixers team ever to watch from both a coaching and playing perspective.

Defense was horrible that first half, in such an important game, Clarke should be getting in his guys faces everytime they miss an assignment. Flynn torched us that first half so you would think putting Gibson - our best defender on him would be a logical solution but Clarke persists with Cadee, is the word adjustments not in this coaches category?

Offensively we don't really look like scoring most times down the floor, Weigh looks disinterested, Christopherson doesn't even look like a threat when he is on the floor - he can't get his shot off quick enough and is too undersized when he drives. DJ should be benched everytime he shoots a three and Crosswell is woeful. Since this is such a critical game, Marty needs to play Gibson the whole second half, sit Croswell on the pine and make the team accountable on D.

Hoping for a better second half but doubtful it will happen.

Reply #401040 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

Wow, luke got ripped off...

Melb cant stay this hot all game...can they?

Reply #401042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Cadee cannot defend, just lucky he is on fire shoooting wise or we would really be in the poop.

Gibbo has to shoulder too much of a burden on the 1.

Reply #401046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6ers havent turned up today. If that doesnt fall on the coaching staff to a degree dont know what does. Season on the line and they are completely lost and have identity about them whatsoever!

Reply #401048 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

These refs are having a laugh right? Jesus.

I want Balls back.

Reply #401049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers are woeful, but definitely dont want Ballinger back. Maybe people are having a nostalgic day, but history shows Ballinger was not a winner.

Reply #401052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, team has got no backbone. Coach has even less of a backbone.

Reply #401053 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Flynn is tearing us a new one. Wonder what a real coach would do with this game, probably win it!

Reply #401054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn is on a whole new level. That's the pointguard you want, quick crossovers, deadly jumpshot and awesome court vision. He will contribute 70% of melbournes points.

How funny is it seeing Ballinger block DJ. Good on him he must be stoked.

Reply #401057 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Amazing to see how up beat and intense the Melbourne players look compared to the 6ers. Tigers guys are genuinely having some fun and playing loose and for each other.

Reply #401058 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Someone remind me again why Clarke replaced Massingale with Cristopherson? Puck me that was a bad decision.

Reply #401059 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Just saw Marty Clarke hi five the whole team as they came off court for the time out after 5 turnovers and a missed field goal in 4 minutes. That has AIS written all over it. Imagine Popovich or someone like Gordgian in that position? There is no accountability at all with this squad.

Praise mediocre performances, get mediocre performances!

Reply #401060 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Christopherson wouldn't even be a dominant player in most social leagues in Adelaide.

Reply #401061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe what I'm watching on t v

Reply #401062 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

'beep beep beep beep' that's me censoring myself. I don't think i can take this much longer without going insane. This is the most frustrating season i have ever witnessed.

Reply #401063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why didnt clarke take schench off and give pero a run?

Reply #401064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW christo wouldnt even make the cut for south's ABL reserves team.

Reply #401065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow this import is a JOKE.... Clarke and Radford are a disgrace.

Reply #401067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup. Clarke is so lucky that we got that win over sydney, saved his butt.

Reply #401068 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Such a boring game to watch and frustrating season entirely. Not happy.

We have the damn roster, but the coaches are crap and have no idea how to use this roster.

Chris Alphabet is hopeless.

Sacking CJ continues to prove over and over that it is a huge mistake.

Reply #401069 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Well that has to be the season done you would think, the only thing that made todays game watchable was Cadee's play. The focus has to shift to giving the young guys as much of an opportunity as possible in the remaining games. Christopherson should be cut with all of his and Crosswell's minutes going to Cadee and Daly.

As far as coaching goes, this season has to cement Marty as the worst coach in the history of the NBL. Has there ever been a team with this much talent compared to the other teams in the league competing for the wooden spoon? From the inability to utilize our talented bigs to the debacle of the Imports this year, it is a pretty disgraceful performance by Clarke. To give some hope for the fans, the club has to come out now and say Clarke's contract will not be renewed at the end of the year and start searching for replacements now - otherwise interest in the team will continue to fall away.

Reply #401070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

waiting Marcus Camby any moment now....:)

Reply #401072 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Kudos to Cadee for a great game today. It is amazing how much better he shoots on the road.

Reply #401073 | Report this post

nathan  
Years ago

i seriously hope the team folds! no accountability form the top down. The club is willing to pay top dollar and we are last. Such a shit coach, the players are mentally weak and 3 years of being down the bottom is enough.

Reply #401074 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Great team ,can't win games,disgraceful ,we will not make finals and finish bottom alongside cairns.
Clarke and Redford to be shown the door,will be changes and hope new tough coach can get sixers back to where they belong.
If Clarke is retained then I will not be renewing my season ticket.

Reply #401076 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Dumb post nathan. The team needs new direction, not fold you dingbat!

Reply #401077 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Ever notice Weigh looks like the gay kid off of Neighbours

Reply #401079 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

You are a tool Nathan and people like you i hope arent a 36ers fan. Gi and watch another sport !

Reply #401081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good games from Cadee and Petrie. Johnson had some moments and also some poor lapses. Rest was pretty crappy and Christopherson is wasting time and space from here on - just giving us absolutely nothing but moving the ball around. Put him on the end of the bench and keep playing Daly instead.

We have a lot of road games from here. Can't see the final record being pretty.

Reply #401082 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

I'm just going to come out and say it.
Marcus Camby, how was the game lost today?
And how was it not Marty Clarkes problem?

We are all interested to hear your side of the story.

Reply #401083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Radford oops I mean Marcus Camby won't be able to post yet as the team would still be winding down after another loss. Should be soon tho.

Reply #401086 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Another poor performance, with the exception of few good individual games.

Players would be better off ignoring coaching direction now. Coaching is just rubbish.

Seriously, this pattern is all to familiar. I think our record could get ugly, think we actually might finish bottom again.

Coaches should be gone, of course. System is just terrible.

I know Christo doesn't exactly look up to it, but would like to see him get some looks at least. Could play the NG role ok. Wouldn't be easy coming into Clarke's system.

I think crowds are going to take a hit now finals are probably over, unfortunatley.

Reply #401089 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Players and coaches need to be replaced and only those who have the passuonto turn this around should remain. Everything to play for and yet we put up that . All the good that we did in the 80s and 90s and built up such a tradition of a winning program with top line players who gave their all and we continyally serve this up. Its frustrating . Where is the grunt , the passion , the willingness to win at all costs. They are playing like "oh well" and that jacka me off and i would like to think i have been very positive this season but enough is enough . Even friends of mine qho know nothing about bball say to me " another loss " and that must change !

Reply #401090 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Apologies for the typos but u get the gist :)

Reply #401091 | Report this post

Green 14  
Years ago

Hope Marty and the coaches paid for admission today. They were certainly spectators. I just don't get how you can sit there and watch turnover after turnover with stupid under 10 shots and do nothing. No anger, frustration, emotion or action. On the upside the club has saved some money on uniforms by not providing Daly with a complete one. A big plus for Christopherson; he landed twice as many rebounds as our 7' centre. He may yet have a future.

Reply #401093 | Report this post

doing it tough  
Years ago

how unfair it seems get to within 3 after 19 down - unlikely win becomes a reality and then turnnover and game gone.Team is just misdsing ingreient aweay from success so frustrating i know which ingredient is needed but cant for my life see why top cats at the arena cant see.recruiting of imports needs to be done by independent qualified person how many more non jonny flynns are we going to get - how hard is it deleon flynn lisch all cut teams up and we have ?????

Reply #401094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers bottom of the ladder yet predicted dy most before this season to finish Top 3 possibly even Top 2.

If this the worst coaching performance in NBL history?

Reply #401095 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wow didnt even realize that loss puts us clear last. Sad times for a once proud club. So much hope when Clarke came on board and everyone thought it was a sure thing for success, now its just has proven to be one of the worst NBL contracts offered in NBL history.

And just thought, perhaps Radford is Marcus Camby, interesting Camby doesnt post whilst the games are being played. Def something he would do as sad as that is!

Reply #401099 | Report this post

driver  
Years ago

very interesting theory - sure MC be in touch soon.
cant be any more good guy stuff gutted totally gutted
and get minutes into daly forget SC
DALY or SC Daly please but ??
gets wood burn

Reply #401102 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Cadee and Petrie had good offensive games largely by playing outside the system, it seemed. Only a few organised team plays resulted in points.

I thought Gibson had a shocker - if he hadn't been fed the layup and hit the 3 pointer in the last minute, it would have been clearly his worst game as a 36er. He should have had the defensive assignment on Flynn - he seems to rise to the challenge of playing the opposition's gun guard and it lifts his game overall.

As it was, Cadee was ineffective on Flynn. In fact, Flynn did a better job of "defending" himself with his over dribbling and selfish play in patches throughout and particularly at the end of the game. Would have been great to see him play the whole game in top gear, instead of long periods in second. That may explain why he's playing NBL instead of NBA

Most disappointing thing for me was the way the 36ers played in that first half. So insipid. So little challenging the Tigers offence. So many shots from outside without any rebounders. No wonder our shooting percentage was 31% and Melbourne were 8 rebounds up at half time. The game would have been over then if Tigers had not had so many turnovers.

Reply #401109 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Sixers problem is they don't even attempt to play defence. No energy, hustle. It is a little embarrassing.
Christopherson only a spot up shooter. Who is going to get him the ball? Down on confidence so he is pretty much irrelevant.
Cannot create to save himself.
Johnson is playing OK but he shoots the 3 like he has a licence. He needs to be more selective. Get inside and get to the line more to have an effect on a game.

Reply #401111 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Gaze is clearly frustrated with DJ's shot selection. Join the club Andrew.

Reply #401112 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

I enjoyed this game, really thought Cadee played well for Adelaide. dont know why they dont make him the focus of their offence. Seth Scott is a pretty decent player and that Flynn fella. I just wished it was 12 mins quarters. could have done watching another 8 minutes of play.

Reply #401113 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why would anyone in their right mind make Jason Cadee the focal point of their offense?

Actually sounds like something Clarke would try...

Reply #401114 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PeterJohn, not to ignore that patch in the third where they deflected three of our passes in a row and denied us a shot at all! Each time, no more care was taken than the last.

Reply #401117 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Mick, obvious nothing clarke has done so far is working. Cadee looks more efficient then any other player. looks like a smart player. i have only seen him play a few games for gold coast and didnt realise how good the kid is.

Reply #401131 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

he isn't that good every week sitiveni.

Reply #401132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok if the season is gone just tell Clarke and Radford to sit in the change rooms and let the team coach themselves. Better still you have an ABL coach sitting on the bench so let him call the time outs and subs and have Crosswell be his assistant. We can't go any lower and the fans will see that the dynamic duo are out and it won't cost SOS anything

Reply #401136 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Good solution, sack the coach and put Crosswell as a player (bench)/coach. Cant go worse for the rest of the season surely

Reply #401139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly skud.

Can't do much worse than losing 10 of your last 11 games and sitting bottom of the ladder.

Reply #401143 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Skud...

The Sixer organisation (from owner to playing personnel) has already made the public statement that they support our Head Coach.

I think it is high time we as fans do the same.

Reply #401144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Pero currently an ABL coach.

Reply #401145 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was early in the game and I got the impression Gibson and Weigh were injured . Later , they did a few things to show that they weren't injured .

It was late in the game , at the last 2 time-outs , I got the impression Petrie didn't understand what Clarke was saying and turned to Gibson to explain it.

The situation has ended sad for Christopherson and Crosswell , judging by their expressions , sitting on the bench , out there , near the end .

So , Melbourne had a nice lead , but went to party time too early , as well as some untidy stuff , inviting the 36ers to come back into the game .

Reply #401147 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@The_Champ33..

Please don't dredge up the CJ issue again.

Its in the past.

The players have moved on.

The organisation has moved on.

Perhaps its your turn?

Reply #401149 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Marcus/Radford the Sixers owners have said they want to sell the club and not spend more money, only reason Clark and yourself are still around. If your naïve enough to think the players support this coach then you didn't watch todays dismal effort.

Reply #401150 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

"If this the worst coaching performance in NBL history?"

I think it has to be, I can't think of a more talented team that has done this badly in the NBL. When you have a talented roster that doesn't perform, it is the most frustrating thing to watch as a fan, And generally is a sign of a very poor coach. It's not as though we don't have proven players either, Gibson and Schenscher and Weigh have all been integral parts of chamsionship winning teams.

I also agree with others that the passion just doesn't seem to be there, if I was Clarke and my players gave up that many offensive rebounds and produced that many poor turnovers in such a critical game, I would have been livid and making guys accountable. There seems to be a passive culture within the team right now which I think is really hurting them, players don't seem mentally prepared to play - and I think this problem has to fall on the coaching staff.

Reply #401158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skud, I personally dont know many of the 36ers, have you got isnide information that the players dont like clarke?

Would be interesting if that was the case. Kind of get that impression by the players body language.

Reply #401159 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Yeah Adelaide have moved on to a 1-11 record since CJ was sacked. Karma is a bitch

Reply #401160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skud, I personally dont know many of the 36ers, have you got isnide information that the players dont like clarke?

Would be interesting if that was the case. Kind of get that impression by the players body language.

Reply #401161 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I don't have inside information at all. But as someone who spends their time working with pissed off people I can say the entire teams attitudes and effort clearly reflect their feelings right now.

I just hope we don't lose the players because of the managements refusal to act.

Reply #401165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the dissent of the players, if at all, aimed at Clarke or Radford

Reply #401166 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

I think I'll go watch Spacejam with my 3 yr old, at least my team always wins.

Reply #401173 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

This has been a 3 year handbook on how to ruin a ball club - coaching staff and resultant performance is just so depressing.

RIP Season 12/13; you'll be in good company with your 2 immediate predecessors.

Reply #401174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers have not been relevant for 10 years.....can we change our team name from 36ers to Clippers.

Reply #401180 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Skud...

I am not Radford.....but thank you all the same for the complement.

The players have outwardly come out in support of the coach, the latest of which was Schensh (speaking for the entire team).

Is it naive to believe when multiple players have done the same?

Of course if you suggest that they are all made under duress I would have no proof to counter.

However, on the balance of probabilities, they support Marty and Mark, and all buy into their vision for the team.

Reply #401191 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Guns...

Could that 1-11 also have something to do with :

- Creek's injury.
- The emergence of the Crocs as a threat.
- Cadees' lack of production before this round?

Reply #401192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schensher doesn't speak for the team.

FWIW the skipper has said that the teams systems are not the problem rather having the right players on court together to execute those systems is, so who is in charge of that bit Marcus?

Clarke may be a revelation in tactics and preparation for games but unfortunately in game he is absolutely shocking

Reply #401194 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Loco...

Perhaps if a post-morten is to be done on the 12/13 season, perhaps one should also look at the fan behaviour / support.

- Booing @ home on National TV.
- Weekly sack Marty Threads.
- Threads about which players to keep / sack just after the All-Star break.
- Hoops fans refusing to go to any games until Marty is gone.
- Hoops fans hoping the Sixers will lose so Marty can go.
- Hoops fans hoping the team actually folds.

As the team will no doubt conduct an extensive evaluation at the end of the season, may I suggest the fan base do the same at their behaviour towards certain servants of the club that have 100% support of Daryl Simmons and the entire playing team?

Reply #401196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the game and Adelaides d was pathetic just lucky that cadee and johnson played out of their skins and melbourne did their best to choke it.
Melbourne could be good just their undisciplined and have no structure and brains apart from ballinger and greer

Reply #401197 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'194

Yes he did, I can't find the article right now ( I have linked it here before), but he clearly said ALL the players support Marty.

I can concede there is some deficiencies in the way Marty executes his substitutions.

It is a journey of learning and improvements will no doubt come with each mistake.

I remains to be seen if the Sixers will want to reap the rewards of 3 years of toil with a 4th.

Reply #401198 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice to see Cadee finally get it going offensively. That's what I was hoping for at the start of the season!

Sixers finally woke up in the 4th quarter and had a decent crack, but it was too little too late. Not the kind of passion you'd expect when they knew a loss would see the Tigers climb over them to get off the bottom!

I missed most of the first half so its interesing to hear that Cadee was started on Flynn. In the 4th, there were a couple of times where Cadee and Gibson were both trying to pick up Flynn. One time Gibbo ended up taking him, the other Cadee did.

I think that speaks volumes that there is that much uncertainty in the 4th about who should pick up the opposition's best player!

Also, during timeouts late in the game, most of the Sixers were staring off into space with glassy eyes. I didn't get the feeling too many of them were dialed into what the coach was saying.

Can't wait for the end of the season and for the Sixers ownership issues to be decided so we can get a new coach and start afresh.

Reply #401200 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

So let me get this right MC.....
If we didnt do any of the things we have done.
We would be winning ?

They are a pro team in a pro league.
The players get paid to play basketball.
They are underperforming. They get plenty of praise
when they play well. They get criticized when they don't.
The fans cheer just as loud as anywhere else at the arena at games.
They only boo when they give up 20 point leads or
lose to a bottom team.

Just like in any part if life. You have to take the good
with the bad. Right now, they suck !

What do u want fans to do? Tell them they are playing good
and how awesome they are when they are playing terrible.

Every coach is and will always be remembered by their win/loss colum.
Facts are, Marty will go down as the worst coach in the history of the 6ers.

You can come up with your reasons why he is losing. A good coach finds a way to win.

Reply #401202 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, you keep clinging to the naive belief that the entire organisation supports the coaching staff if you like.

It is just like politics and the NBA. Everyone is right behind their leader until they can safely jump ship without risking their own prospects.

The Sixers will finish in the bottom two for the third time in three years. No coach can survive that.

Reply #401203 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Melbourne could be a very dangerous team for Perth and NZ if they make the finals but they are their own worst enemies.

Reply #401205 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Marcus Camby - your award from the Con Man's Hall of Fame is in the mail. I've marvelled at how long you've managed to keep this going without 'fessing up. You've done a great job!

BTW, the award has a monetary prize and that cheque's in the mail too.

Reply #401207 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Beantown..

Until the coach gets 'pushed', I am going to continue to believe in what the players and Daryl PUBLICLY state.

You may have some theories about why the players may feign allegience to Marty (court time), but Daryl?

Daryl signs his cheques, why would Daryl support Marty if not for the betterment of the club (he is bleeding money for)?

I am behind Daryl on this.

Reply #401208 | Report this post

bitchkarma  
Years ago

nothing is more enjoyable than to see a team play for there coach,the way the tigers play is a breath of fresh air when compared to the selfish way the 6ers play its not a team full of pride its a team full of me's starting with the coaches who by the way should be ashamed of the disgraceful display of non coaching l have ever and l mean ever seen. murcus this is for you don't ever say the team is playing for marty, because its nothing short of horse shit.no one is playing for him and it shows. on a happy note it was a gem to watch balls play thats one guy who played for the club at his worst was still better than the current players in this team,who's laughing now

Reply #401212 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Hey, 36ers management. Enough. Just... enough, OK. Show these coaches the door. Get a caretaker coach. Then let the team play on guts & instinct and show us that they care for the rest of the season. It has to be better than what I saw today.

Reply #401213 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If Marty Clarke gets sacked at the end of this season, does that mean that Marcus Camby will also disappear? Once could only hope.

Reply #401214 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Yeah, still would support a coaching change. Even if it was Pero, just for the remainder of the season. Obviously won't happen though. But there is still benifits from releasing coaches, even this late.

Reply #401215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bitchkarma = bianca b! such bitterness.

Reply #401219 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

In a league where you can't get traded, few players come out and criticise the coach. I do believe the players like Marty as a guy but I'd be confident most of them would like a change to the way they play, rotations etc. We've all worked for guys we like but know someone else might get more out of us or utilise our skills better.

The tv timeouts tell a lot. They show a coach so bogged down in running plays that he overlooks 1-on-1 talks and just talking to the guys demanding effort, focus etc. Radford seems to do most of the 1-on-1 stuff at subs, when players about to go back on etc but it needs to come from Marty. Clarke should be using a lot of this time to motivate and push his players.

Reply #401225 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Starks...

Daryl has stated that he will not jeopardise the season by getting ride of Marty.

Let's back our Chairman huh?

Reply #401227 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Shutup MC !

Reply #401229 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Marty is not a servant of the club. When you ask a servant for a drink, they serve you one.

When the fans (club) ask Marty for some wins after two years of letting him 'develop' a team and culture, Marty serves us shite.

He is useless and the players know it. However he has also been at the AIS longer enough and has his finger in all the crappy pies that keep basketball far behind other sports in this country.

If a player speaks out against Marty it is more likely than less likely there would be repercussions...

I am prepared to let the under 10 girls coach from Centrals to take the team for the rest of the season. At least they might show some passion for our club and our state.

Reply #401231 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

@ Marcus camby

Try politics mate. No one believes the shit you dribble. You would fit right in at Canberra.

Never seen a person so content with losing.... Kinda reminds me of a certain pair of coaches.

My frustration has reached a point where I'm disinterested and disappointed. If as a supporter I'm meant to suck that up and support my club blindly, well I'm not up to this. Something has to give and it's been we'll publicised that we have the team to succeed player wise, but maybe not the coaching. Seriously apathetic towards our club, cos that's how I feel they are treating us as fans.

Reply #401232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeopardise another wooden spoon season!! Hahaha. Gold.

Reply #401233 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Whilst I agree that Marcus Camby does a lot of far-fetched rationalising, I actually think people have been overrating the quality of this roster.

Gibson is good, Petrie and Weigh are solid and Creek has great potential, but Johnson, while good sometimes is obviously not the finished product, nor is Cadee, and Schenscher is only really effective if plays are run through him and he can act as a sort of low post point-guard. So no legitimate out-and-out stars. Beyond that they don't have an NBL standard import and Crosswell in my opinion gets far too many minutes for the return he delivers.

So I think expectations were already too high, and thus I don't really buy the whole "with this roster they should be killing it" line everyone seems to spout. Having said all that I still think Marty Clarke is a poor professional-level coach.

Reply #401242 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I believe we have a team that should be pushing for a top four spot and under a different coach think that that would have been realistic. I also thought that at the start of the season but thought with the Marty factor we would be top 6 but i now realise i was over estimating Marty. I am now questioning Marty's three year plan maybe he played us all for suckers and his three year plan was to pay off his house and retire.

Reply #401247 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'll support the Adelaide 36ers through thick and thin, I've been doing that since 1985. But Marcus Camby, please do not expect me (and I feel just about every other 36ers fan at this point) to continue blindly supporting a coach who in just over two and a half seasons has dished up a 23-52 record (30.66%), yet refuses to acknowledge that what he has in place hasn't worked, still isn't working, and is likely to give us our 2nd straight wooden spoon and third straight bottom two finish to add to the wooden spoon we got in Scott Ninnis' last year. In a league that has had at most 9 teams while Clarke has been our coach, finishing 8th, 9th and possibly 8th and last is a failure.

Marcus, be real about it ok, the SOS and 36ers board are not supporting Clarke because they still believe he is the best man for the job. If they did they'd have offered him a contract extension by now. The simple fact is that they just don't have the money to sack him and pay out the rest of his contract

Reply #401254 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Melbourne could be a very dangerous team for Perth and NZ if they make the finals but they are their own worst enemies."

Jackson had a Triple Double last time he played Melbourne and they almost managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Adelaide. They would be my most preferred Semi opponent as Townsville will just injure one of NZ's best players and Sydney have pulled their pants down earlier this season.
Melbourne have no discipline and are prone to throwing the ball away under any pressure so I would be happy for a Breakers Vs Tigers Semi

Reply #401255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I believe we have a team that should be pushing for a top four spot and under a different coach think that that would have been realistic."

I agree with this. To expect them to be up there with New Zealand Perth was unrealistic, but they should definitely be around .500 battling for a playoff spot.

Reply #401257 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yet pre-season most Adelaide fans had written NZ off and were talking up their title hopes

Reply #401258 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Often happens in pre-season, same with Tigers fans.

Reply #401260 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I agree Jez... roster has been very overrated. Having said that we should still be at .500

Reply #401262 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Roster may be overated, certainly over payed. Full salary cap for this team. A team that the coaches put together and stated would contend for a title.
Cudos to Daryl for spending on what the coaches wanted
but blind faith in coaches costing club.
Coaches clearly not capable and have been afforded
time, money and resource to prove it. Very costly.

Reply #401269 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@FM...

Marty IS a servant of the club, and he has carried out his duties with honesty, integrity and always to the best of his abilities.

You stated correct that he has come in and developed a team culture, it is evident as the players support each other and their Head Coach moreso under adversity. Daryl also buys into this ideal which I really take heart on.

Reply #401298 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@ Marcus Camby a "complement" is only a compliment if you spell it right.

Reply #401299 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Jez...

I had this same concern when Gibbo and Petrie were signed.

Hoops was awash with Title Town talk.

Very rarely do you form a new team by bringing in a new starting 1, 2 and 5, as well as import, and win it all.

It takes time.

My fears have well and truly come full circle as these 'most knowledgale' fans has bought into their own Title Town hype so much, that they lose sight of the development plan.

Any losses become intolerable and the mob fires up.

Thankfully New Zealand fans (yes...New Zealand ffs) aren't like Sixer fans, else Lemanis would have been shown the door and there wouldn't be one championship, let alone a three-peat.

Reply #401302 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , he's set them on a path where we're bound to get ill.
All he believes is his eyes , and his eyes , they just tell him lies .
Well there's a woman on my block , she'll just sit there facing the hill , she says ; " WHO ..!..
.. gonna take away his licence to kill !! "

Reply #401304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man this team is frustrating to watch, and i agree sack Marty, relaease SC and let Crosswell/Pero coach and give there minutes to Daly and a development player. wouldnt cost the club more and would make us fans alot happier, if nothing else just get the guys playing out of instinct and we would probably win. Hey what have we got to lose, we are bottom, season is dead, basically a massive losing streak.

Johnson is also frustrating, imagine Goorj coaching him, he would tear shreads off him for some of his decision making and bench him heaps, he has many positives and if he improves his basketball iq and defensive/rebounding efforts he could be a MVP level player, Gaze was saying this yesterday and i agree. We need a coach who holds him more accountable imo.

36ers Coaching is poor, has been all season, and another Goorj comparison, Marty has been happy with how the team plays, says it was a great win against Sydney the other week, Goorj would have been pissed off all season win or lose, i used to find it strange he was often angry after his teams won, but now i get it, he holds his team to a high standard, wants them to play this way, holds them all accountable to do so, a win doesnt make everything ok and beleived if the team upheld his high standards and were each accountable for a high effort then they would win. If they didnt do this win/lose he was pissed, i respect that now and wish our coach did this.

I am not a massive Goorj fan, never overly enjoyed watching his teams play, dont really ever want him to coach the 36ers, but respect that (holding his players accountable for a high level of effort and play EVERY game no matter win or loss or who against) about him and his results speak for themselves. Goorj wouldnt have this team in last place that is one thing im certain of. Neither would someone like Gleeson or Smyth who are 2 guys id love to see looked at to coach next season.

Reply #401308 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Was at the game and here are some conclusions/observations/thoughts:

-SNAHC has a nice vibe to it, the crowd was family oriented and, I have to say it, was nowhere near as pretentious as some other venues (Perth!!!)
-Seth Scott reminds me a lot of Bobby Brannen- play inside and can step outside and hit the 3 ball, and he can dunk as well which I don't remember Bobby doing too much.
-Tigers looked like they were having some fun out there yest which is great to see.
-Liam Rush- injured/sick/or DNP coaches decision?
-Cadee had a great game and can definitely play!
-Daniel Johnson, and yesterday confirmed it all, cannot play defence and thinks he is a guard by jacking up shot after shot!
-Johnny Flynn- solid performance!!
-Christofferson, and I don't want to harp on because everyone is talking about it, I feel sorry for the guy, this stint is killing his career, who would pick him up after this. It is clear he get's told to sit in the corner and be ready to shoot.
-Clarke why not run some off ball screens for Gibbo and Christofferson to be free?

Reply #401316 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@ Tyrell After watching Marty coach for nearly three seasons now i don't think Marty knows what an off ball screen is

Reply #401319 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

By the way Aylon should be stood down for this weekend and publicly reprimanded for the incident in the first quarter when Flynn three times grabbed Schenscher's legs as he was trying to get up and then had the audacity to call Luke for his justifiable reaction. Aylon saw the whole thing, ignored it, then made the call he did, therefore he must be punished.

Reply #401338 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

^^ @Mutley - Absolutely agree. The mind boggled watching that on reply with the ref 3 feet away!!!

Reply #401342 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As Schenscher and Flynn were laying on the floor ,
Schenscher put his legs over/ontop of Flynn .
The ref called that a foul .
Later , Flynn grabbed Schenschers legs as Schenscher was trying to stand up .

Reply #401378 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looked to me the foul was for the 'push' as they both went to run off. Very poor call for mine.

Reply #401387 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

No he didn't Camel. Watch it again, and watch where the foul was actually called. Not good enough.

Reply #401389 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Michael Aylen was gold medal referee at the bloody Olympic Games
You don't get much better in the world
All this shows is that anyone can make wrong judgements but in sport ( all sport) the calls have a way of evening themselves

No point sitting on a forum bitching about one call

Reply #401391 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

@mutley it's Aylen not Aylon

Reply #401392 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"No point sitting on a forum bitching about one call"

we bitch about way more than just one call ;)

Reply #401395 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

That's right Marcus - the internet is to blame.

How could we have been so callous?

Reply #401407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754