Jesters
Years ago

WASBL Import sacked after saying he had $1mil deal

Pretty funny story here from Western Australia's State League - http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-5011-0-0-0&sID=78732&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=22367298

American Spencer Perrin claimed to American media that he had a $1mil contract along with private jet flight from USA to Aus, along with a beachfront apartment.

Topic #30878 | Report this topic

Jesters  
Years ago

FYI SBL entire salary cap per club (one men and one women's team) is around $60k

Reply #405493 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So I guess its not just the NBL's Tigers that take the piss out of the salary cap then?

Reply #405497 | Report this post

Jesters  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the team, this guy was just talking shit.. Read this other article with his quotes about SBL being best league on Aus and that he will be playing for Australia in 2016 Olympics...

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/sports/amn-basketball-former-boyle-county-eku-star-spencer-perrin-signs-threeyear-deal-to-play-professionally-i-20130131,0,1921843.story

Reply #405500 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Quote from article ...

"It's part of the best league in Australia. It’s level one competition and is a way better league than I played in either in Slovakia or Hungary."

ROFL ...

Silly Yank ... should do his research before opening his mouth ...

Plenty of other clanger comments in the article as well - he had no idea where he was going.

Reply #405503 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Haha this story is gold. What are his credentials? Is he even a good baller? Makes Aussie bball look bad if he says he can easy make the boomers.

Reply #405504 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

http://articles.centralkynews.com/2011-10-24/amnews/30318527_1_spencer-perrin-nba-players-eku

Read this. Very up himself and he has nba aspirations lol.

He needs security due to excessive autograph demands hahaha.

If he's so good, why would he sign in sbl?

Reply #405509 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh boy, he makes some funny claims. This from when playing in Macedonia. Some bits snipped for brevity:

The Boyle County graduate and former Eastern Kentucky University player is averaging just over 16 points per game, has already been invited to participate in the dunk competition at the upcoming all-star game and expects to also be named to the all-star team.

Perrin has already played against six former NBA players and guarded four of them.

"That has been a good experience," Perrin, who still hopes to earn his way into the NBA eventually, said. “Guarding them has shown me I can play in the NBA, too. It has not been that tough. I am already up for MVP of the year because I am doing so great.

“My role on the team has just been to be a playmaker and if I see an open shot, take it. I try to get my teammates involved and going. I do that, too, by learning the language so¿I can speak to them on the court. I¿know Slovakian, the one language they all know.”

He says they often have security guards because of the autograph demands.

“You are treated like a celebrity. We do interviews every other day. You definitely know you are a pro player by the way you are treated,” Perrin said Sunday.

“But my team is already talking about me making more money next year than now. They say I have NBA potential and athleticism, but they would like me to stay here and do more things. They love me here and that's great for me.”

And these from the article that disturbed the WA team:
Spencer Perrin feels like he’s found both financial security for his family and the perfect place to play basketball now that he has signed a three-year guaranteed contract worth about $1 million to play in Australia with the Geraldton Buccaneers.
“I leave this Friday and can’t wait,” said Perrin, a Boyle County graduate and former player at Eastern Kentucky University. “It’s the most tropical part of Australia. It is its own island in the western part of Australia and the best possible place to go there to play basketball.

“It’s part of the best league in Australia. It’s level one competition and is a way better league than I¿played in either in Slovakia or Hungary.”

Perrin is fully committed to Australia basketball and plans to become an Australian citizen so he can play on the 2016 Olympic team.

“Then I would be playing against Team USA, Spain and all the international powers,” Perrin said. “I can’t basically come home except maybe for a week or so at a time during the next three years. I’ll just be back for a visit and then headed right back to Australia.

“But this is the best deal I¿have ever signed. They are paying for me and my family to fly over and we will even be on a private plane the last part of the trip. We will have a three-bedroom apartment on the beach that is great.”

Perrin, 24, said his versatility appealed to the Australian team.
“They like me because they said they have never had a player like me,” Perrin said. “My vertical (jump), I can play defense. About anything they need me to do,¿I can do. I will be the only American on the team.
“I can play anything from shooting guard to power forward. I can play all those positions now. I won’t be playing point guard this year, but I could in the future.”
Perrin’s signing made immediate news in Australia and a video about his signing ever appeared on yahoonews.com.

“I can see myself being with this team for a good while now. I don’t want to be playing for any other team. This will be my team.
“There has been some talk about me putting my name in the NBA draft in a few years, but I don’t know about that. I like what I am doing and the money is good. I think I am really going to like being in Australia for a long time.”

Geraldton, a tropical island!

Reply #405510 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Not sure about his putting his name forward for the NBA draft.

Definitely sure of him putting his name forward for the "baller most full of himself" title.

Maybe it would have been better for him to fly on that private jet to Geraldton - he sure would have got a shock when he got there !

Reply #405513 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

wow, that was a good laugh

Reply #405514 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

His Geraldton "deal" still all over his Facebook page as well ... LOL ...

Reply #405515 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Geraldton is a tropical shithole....actually no, its not very tropical.

Reply #405517 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

This guy has a good imagination. Maybe he should write some children books

Reply #405518 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Australia doesn't have a coach, who was interested in him from boomers?

Reply #405520 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

This guy is a blow back to the 80's.He fits into the craziest import category....

Reply #405521 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No one Fester.

Reply #405522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of players come out here and try to big note themselves back home, because their people back home have no clue what it's actually like here so they can pretty much say whatever they want. Hilarious!

Reply #405523 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

@Nat maybe his first title could be

"Spencer goes to the beach in Geraldton and builds a sand castle"

Could be a big seller ...

Reply #405525 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Check out his Facebook page, he posted about trying out for the afl also!

He looks like avg athleticism. How much would geraldton have actually been paying him?

Reply #405527 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

There not paying him zippo now!!! What a fool...

Reply #405528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man he must have been on some good stuff. Drugs, that is, not salary.

If there was a club in the WA SBL that could drop a $1m on a single player wage ... well they wouldn't be in the SBL, now would they?

Reply #405538 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Sounds like the Buccs are recruiting one Jamine Peterson. Interesting finish to his college career a few years back.

http://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=704

Reply #405548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmUo4izTOFs

Reply #405552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perrin is as delusional as marcus camby. Great read.

Reply #405578 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL, Does Spencer talk in the third person?

Reply #405581 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hey Mr Perrin ... I found a pic of your three bedroom apartment on the beach at Geraldton, the club forgot to send it to you ...

http://bodysmartinc.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/logo/run_down_house_ce.jpg

Reply #405583 | Report this post

Howto  
Years ago

Perrin could be a FIFO miner/ball player. I can understand how confusing that could become for the chump. It would explain the $$ million dollar pay day though.

Reply #405617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As one NBL club guy said to me after reading this, one of the first things they Google after scouting an import is "firstname lastname arrested".

Reveals pretty quickly in this case that Perrin has a few results and his replacement Peterson (nicknamed "Greedy"!) was kicked out of college in a somewhat unfair but perhaps sleazy situation.

Obviously doesn't discount the chance that a player could've turned that around, have a great attitude and be ready to fit a team structure. Or that a team might be willing to take on that troubled past and try to manage the player for whatever potential they have. But still, need to be aware!

Reply #405628 | Report this post

Years ago

Uncle Fester, believe it or not he actually did try out for the AFL! He was a part of that US Draft Combine the AFL ran a few months back. I just placed a speculative $10 on him for the 2018 Brownlow Medal.

Reply #405629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny As!

Reply #405655 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

absolutely brilliant

Reply #405723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even funnier than Perrin talking shit to a small time local reporter is looking up what Geraldton's other import did to get kicked out of college!!

Jamine Peterson got kicked out of college for arranging prospective recruits blow jobs while visiting campus!!!

Geraldton must be modelling themselves after the Portland Jailblazers.

Perrin and Peterson would have formed an entertaining import combination. Dare I say it far more entertaining than the 36ers import this season.

Having said that, they both might be crazy but can probably play ala Julius Hodge.

Reply #405729 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

When you google his name, an article pops up where he said he was offered a 90k 1 year afl contract. Lol as if he did! Other notable quotes:

He was a self proclaimed superstar MVP in Slovakia who has too many autograph hunters. I'm guessing a lower division,?

His euro teams wanted to keep him but said he should be in nba

NBA teams pursued him but he prefers playing overseas (why play sbl if your nba level?)

He knocked back the afl contract as he did not want to hurt his 'professional' basketball career.

Reply #405746 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Love how he assumes he would be a lock he'd be a lock for 2016 boomers. He's not even worthy to watch them train!

Reply #405747 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

American here. Have watched Mr. Perrin play since high school. He's actually extremely athletic. Approximately 40 inch vertical. Was leading scorer and rebounder on his Division 1 college team as a senior (Eastern Kentucky University).

Is athletic enough to play in the NBA, but does not have the handles for someone his size.

Has always had "issues" going back for years. Changing teams several times, quitting on teammates, etc. Sad, really. Anyone who ever saw him play as a kid has been impressed by his raw talent and has rooted for his success. Wasted effort, perhaps.

Reply #406382 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In Australian leagues, those things like team chemistry, working hard and so on are very highly regarded. Players won't last just because of a vertical leap.

Reply #406411 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Trust me, team chemistry is highly valued in the states as well. In Kentucky we know a thing or two about team basketball.

Reply #406545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How, after high school, college and so on, do players still not get it? It's not rocket science to follow a coach's instructions and generally not be a tool.

Reply #406554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geraldton Buccaneers new import Jamine Peterson was sacked today after the teams double header in the first round last weekend.
Got reported for abusing a referee post game and was given a two week suspension. The club decided to release him instead according to their Facebook page.
He averaged 37 points and 12+ rebounds in his two games.

Reply #410392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after sacking the player, sack the guy that recruits these players lol

Reply #410393 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The guy was avg 37 & 12 must have been a real douche!

Reply #410400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754