NYC_LGK27
Years ago

how would these cities do with a nbl team?

what do you think the average attendance would be if these cities got a team in the nbl at the moment, how how well/ big the team would go?

Hobbart
Newcastle
Brisbane
2nd Melbourne
2nd Sydney
2nd Nz
2nd Perth

Topic #30930 | Report this topic

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Hobart - 3500 if they play out of the derwent entertainment centre, which can hold around 7000 I think. That wouldn't be bad. They're first year might get larger crowds due to renewed interest, but they will need to put a competitive team on the floor to maintain it. Lack of corporate sponsors, and not much interest from wealthy businessmen to buy into a Hobart team means it probably won't happen anyway.

Newcastle 1500-2000. Soccer and rugby league is huge there. Last time there was the Hunter Pirates and that failed with crowds of around 1800 a game. Probably won't happen anyway.

Brisbane - 3000 if they play at the convention centre ( which has a capacity of 4000).

2nd Melbourne - 3000 if they play at Knox(?) and 5000 if try spend money and play at hisence arena.

2nd Sydney - 2500-3000 and will likely play at the sports centre. Crowds will drop off once the interest fades and I can't see it happening anyway.

2nd NZ - likely to be Wellington. They have a nice arena there and if they play there they could get very big crowds initially. 6000?

2nd Perth - will NEVER happen, but if it does they will play out of challenge stadium and will probably attract 3000 a game if they're lucky. And they will be basketball fans who hate the wildcats, and I don't think there would be many that feel that way.

Reply #406226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A resurrection of a second Melbourne and Sydney teams are completely viable.

However, for a Perth 2... Well, I know the Wildcats are drawing 10k which ostensibly seems to be the most ripe for a second team, but I think very little little of the Perth public is avoiding the boys in red. There's pretty uniform buy-in.

Reply #406229 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Massive barriers to entry for a 2nd Perth team at this point.

Reply #406239 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Stupid to have a 2nd Perth team

Reply #406244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, no easy hook for a second Perth team, where would you base them, what court would they play at, how would they create a new support base or lure over existing Wildcats supporters.

I suppose maybe if you designed a team around a high-octane offence it might turn some heads but the Wildcats have some very serious inertia.

Reply #406246 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wellington Saints have decent financial backing and a decent fan base to build on. The Wellington public generally support their teams well in other codes and the Saints are one of the most successful NZBL franchises. The Saints organization have been making the necessary off court changes over the past couple of years and tweaking their business model.

Unfortunately a heap of young Kiwi's are already going through the Breakers Academy and Development Program and won't just jump ship as many hope.
The Breakers don't have minutes or room for everyone nor can they pay everyone what they want so a second team may pick up 1 or 2 defections and then add a couple that have been shed of the last couple of seasons and you have a local-ish core to build around that fans will come support.

Reply #406247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Derwent entertainment centre...capacity of 7,000? More like 4,000 in basketball mode.

Reply #406248 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Please make Wellington the next expansion team. Brisbane and Melbourne aren't ready.

Reply #406254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne and Brisbane.

Other cities are destined to fail.

Reply #406260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart has local backing and a strong basketball community - it would work

Reply #406264 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If there was a second Perth team, I'd go and watch them every week, regardless of my support for the Wildcats.

Reply #406265 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Tassie needs to find a way to overcome the rampant parochialism and get a team together representing the whole state. Then there might br an outside chance, but still slim on the $$$.

Reply #406269 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Why do people still insist on a 2nd Sydney team? That city just does not care enough about sports in general, let alone basketball. Brisbane, Wellington, 2nd Melbourne should come first, in that order. Then if we (the NBL) are still around after those expansions, we can maybe look elsewhere.

Reply #406270 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

yeah, i could see a newcastle team failing pretty bad, jets games would be on at the same time, so it would affect the nbl team bad if there was one.

Reply #406320 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Hobart
In a state starved of its OWN team this is doable thing.

Great track record on getting on board with teams and would be a drawcard that would get 7-8000 from the start. Easily sustainable, and would grow, with promotion outside the basketball community.

Would need a whole of state buy in - which requires BTAS to move from the 1970's – to draw on talent from all areas.

The DEC is a cavernous venue that is best suited to concerts. But is the only venue that currently could hold the desired crowd. Chargers currently play from Aurora Stadium (run by netball, profits flow their way) which only seats about 1300.

Attempts to get a purpose built stadium went down with the GFC.

There is a lot of corporate support in Tassie. And with national exposure companies are likely to get on board.

Again if whole state buy in could be achieved a community model could also be an option.

Reply #406340 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

^^Further to my last - re: venue^^

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-03-02/sports-high-school-proposal/347202

Reply #406352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you get 7 - 8000 from the start when there is no basketball venue that can hold that amount of people. The DEC holds about 4000 people in basketball configuration.

Reply #406434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754