Jack Toft
Years ago

R22: Sixers v Taipans

It's Saturday night and the last home game for the Sixers - so whatcha gunna do? Are you going to clean out your sock drawer? Are you going to your mate’s wedding - the one marrying the neurotic bridezilla who wants it on the beach in Sri Linka at sunset? If you really want a beach wedding, do it at Port Parham and then get a Chicken Parmy at the Mallala Footy Club. Maybe you’re a Labor fan and stuck at the Rooty Hill RSL hoping to see Julia.

Or are you going to do the right thing and support your Adelaide 36ers as they take on the Taipans.

The Sixers have come to the party with $10 tickets so even if you are sick you can still make it, rumour has it there are nurses on standby. Maybe it just the cheerleaders wearing nurses uniforms. My pulse is racing already. $10, you can't even get a decent six pack of beer for that so it's not worth staying at home.

The last home game for the Sixers has pride on the line and the opponents are fresh from a Thursday night game in Auckland – sounds like a guaranteed win to me.

The Sixers should win and need to win. I don't want to be subjected to another tweet from a Taipans player. C'mon even if your sock drawer does need to be tidied up surely you could spare a couple of hours to farewell the Sixers until next season. This will be the last chance to see some of them. Even if you don’t like Marty, Saturday night might be your last chance to boo Marty after the game or verbally joust with Mark(us).

All I can say is "Come on Marty, let’s go Party!"

Topic #31054 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I do love a Parmy at the Mallala Footy Club.

Reply #408093 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I knew you would you olde magpie!

Reply #408108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers are $1.55 favourites. Thus Cairns are $2.45ish if you fancy them having a bit to play for.

Reply #408114 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sock drawer is real messy Jack... tempting though ;)

Reply #408115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sooner this season is over the better.

Reply #408127 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

I'm going for sure. I've been counting down the home games to get to this one.

Reply #408286 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tips?

Cairns were pretty decent against NZ and it took us a big fightback to beat them last time. I'd like to think that the team and coaches could at least grab a final home win for the season, but I assume Cairns still have a faint chance of making finals if every result goes their way?

Reply #408308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns by 14.

Reply #408310 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

@Isaac, I'm on the Adelaide/Cairns HT/FT double at $6.60, which I think is a very good bet based on current trends.

Having said that, I will be there and I hope I'm wrong.

Reply #408316 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

^ Multi with Carlton to beat the Crows tonight pays $14.

Gonna have to be a bad supporter this week...

Reply #408318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should market the game as "Opportunity for fans to say goodbye to Marty Clarke" if they want to sell any tickets.

Reply #408323 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Get this season over with... Wish there was a mercy rule! Ill probs go just to see Clarke and Radford off. We had some good times fellas, you increased my posting on hoops ten fold with your complete inept form of coaching and ability to sapp all the positivity from a proud and loyal fan base. You won't be missed.

Cairns by 8 in a scrappy game or it'll be Adelaide slapping us in the face with the potential they have had all along blowing them out by 25+.

Reply #408329 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

Cairns look like the dakhorse come playoffs
Well done sixers for showing up every week even though you've got the spoon!

Reply #408362 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Isaac, can you actually have a look at the amount of posts during and prior to Clarke coming in. I wonder if he boosted the sites views and posts, and I guess ad income lol

Reply #408409 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

Gliddon is pretty dope

Reply #408413 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Clarke might have a farewell gift of his own to give to the fans. What has he got to lose? Only hope the team can see through it and ignore his instructions altogether. I want to see the 36ers play as a coachless team tonight.

Reply #408510 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

When Pero comes on, let's bring the roof down

Reply #408511 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Is this the game where SC hits 40?

Reply #408513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey "Liberal Party candidate" Wingard doing commentary for NBL TV.

Didn't Boti also used to say the former Ten reporter was known to hate the NBL?

Reply #408529 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

40 minutes on the bench is that FM? hehehehe

Looking on the pirate NBL.TV I'm watching it looks like a good crowd at the arena.

Reply #408530 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

looks like a good croud and a terrible start, shots not falling, cairns offensive rebounds and turnovers, come on lads!

Reply #408531 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The 36ers had a Barry Crocker in that first period.....

Reply #408532 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

First periods stats....1/9 from outside for Adelaide. Hopefully this is like our recent away win over Cairns where early we couldn't hit sand if falling off a camel in the middle of the Sahara, but got it together in the 2nd half to pull off a win.

Reply #408533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anywhere we can watch it online that doesn't involve subscribing to NBL tv?

Reply #408534 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Christopheroferson hits hes first 3 on the way to 40

Reply #408536 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/173586/1/watch-adelaide-vs-cairns.html stream

Reply #408537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans up 34-31 at the half

Reply #408538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks camby!

Reply #408542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok.. what the hell was that last play?????? surely gibbo should have not passed that off with 3 seconds on the clock to stephen weigh who had a man wrapped all around him

Reply #408544 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

dunno what gibbo was thinking he should have taken the shot like he has done all season

Reply #408545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the game over ? Final scores ? Best players?

Reply #408546 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Agreed anon, that was a strange play, gave us no chance really. But well done to the Taipans, they held their nerve and toughed out a good win.

Reply #408547 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Last play was weird. Only needed a two and from the video angle is looked like Weigh actually created a gap when he caught the pass then decided to step back for a guarded three ball. Very weird. Oh well. Lets hope the off season brings some success leading into 2013/14

Reply #408548 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

What was Weigh doing on that last play?? He had the gap for the drive to get to the rack but instead back tracked and threw a ridiculous pass.

Disappointing giving up so many offensive rebounds again in the clutch too.

Reply #408551 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I look at the play by play. We get a rebound 16 seconds to go. Not only do we not take a timeout (assume there was none left?), but we didn't do anything. How do you not even get a shot off with 16 seconds to go when you are 1 point down? Draw a foul, put up a 3, at least something?

Reply #408553 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Final score is we lost 69-70.

DJ had 21 pts and 13 rebs, Petrie 15/8, Weigh 13/7. Gibbo had 5 assists. Cairns top scorers were Edwards and Wilson with 13 each. Loughton grabbed 7 boards while Gliddon had 4 assists.

Cadee had a very quiet game, 1 point on 0/4 shooting (0/2 from outside) and 1 of 2 FT's, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 turn overs in 19:55.

Gibbo and Peach combined for 2/10 from outside, while Weigh went 2/8 from the 3 and 4/16 overall.

Cairns won the rebounds 38-36, including 13 offensive boards (Adelaide grabbed 11 of their own).

Well done to Cairns for the win, and the 36ers for coming back after that horrible first period to make a game of it. But the finish was very disappointing and that last play defied belief.

Reply #408554 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Was not there. Did Marty get booed? And crowd size?

Reply #408555 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

If we hit our free throws the game would have been ours. Way too many missed free throws for professional basketball.

Daly played hard all night and did some good stuff considering he had been crook all week.

Good work Petrie for talking/thanking the crowd after the game on the mic. I hope he is back next season as love watching him put it all out there.

Good to see sc hit a 3 - just dissapointed Cadee didn't pass to him for the open shot before the half and decided to drive. If sc hit 2 in a row it might have lifted the roof.

I still think keep the majority of the team just take the shackles off.

Reply #408556 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Boti hates Wingard because he beat him to a few stories

Reply #408557 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Last play was pathetic,Gibson bounced ball too long,assumed he wanted to finish game off on his own.

Reply #408558 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I assume we cant call a timeout because we had 3 available and i would rather drop the game on some constructed diagramed play than go down with that mess. That said the guys played hard and apart from the weird end and our FT (again) we played alright. Will i shed a tear if i dont see Marty back at the powerhouse, nope.

Reply #408560 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I think the last play is a perfect example of how the teams have played under Clark. Really looking forward to never seeing him coach this team again.

Reply #408561 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Inb4 Marcus Camby troll

Reply #408562 | Report this post

RRose  
Years ago

Surprise, surprise. Bad coaching in the clutch.

That first quarter rivalled the last quarter versus New Zealand for the worst basketball played by a 36ers team.

Wasted season.

Worst home record in the league. Oh, how things have changed.

We used to be invincible at home.

If only the team was as tough on court as Mitch Creek is on Facebook.

Reply #408563 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Well played by Taipans. The team that needed the win the most got the win. Our season is already down the toilet, why waste it for a team that can still make playoff.

Reply #408565 | Report this post

zippitydodah  
Years ago

Clarke had asked for a time out for when the foul shots had ended so they could advance the ball after the time out. First shot went in, second missed, rebound taken by Adelaide who dribbled out the clock.
Both Fearne and Clarke were asking for and cancelling time outs in the last two both trying to get their time out in, as they do, so they can advance the ball. Second shot had gone in, they would have been two down, time out would have happened and they would have had 15 seconds in which to shoot the ball. But they would have had 15 seconds from the front court.
so lack of opportunity for a time out, not lack of trying to get one.

Reply #408566 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

i shake my head so many times.
from the free throw line, we missed so many easy ones. unforgivable.

thank christ we dont need to sit thru that anymore.
the first quarter was shocking, as was the time clock v shot clock. 29.14 to go when there was 1.14 seconds to go.

and they wanna sell the joint, the comm bank. pffft

Reply #408567 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Skud....

Every calls for Marty to instill a freer flowing offence, he does, Gibbo and Weigh come up with excrement in the last 15 seconds.

Yet its Marty's fault.

I am sad that Marty won't be in the NBL.

But I am glad Marty won't have to be berated by these 'knowledgeable fans' anymore.

I am glad Marty won't have to stand by and watch his team get boo'ed at home on National TV.

I am glad Marty won't have to put up with the venous posts on Hoops and Twitter.

I feel sorry for the next coach coming in.

On one hand they are blessed with taking the reigns of one of the great clubs of the NBL.

On the other that club comes with a fan base with 'this' calibre of character.

Gibbo, Cadee should be let go.

I just hope Weigh and DJ can continue their development under another coach.

Reply #408568 | Report this post

RRose  
Years ago

Missing the point.

If Clarke had called a timeout and drawn up a play we wouldn't have got a shot off anyway. Much rather have the ball in Gibson's hands than Clarke having a time out.

However with a whole season worth of Clarke's coaching and his game deteriorating accordingly, Gibson heard Clarke's voice ringing in his ear and he made the terrible decision to get the ball to Weigh (just as Clarke would have wanted) and the rest is history.

Same OLD same OLD.

Reply #408569 | Report this post

RRose  
Years ago

Pretty sure DJ will be playing for another coach next year either way MC.

Reply #408570 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

IS There something wrong with the forum ?.

I can see eli1's post , and RRose's later post - and both are fully legible, but there is just some random arrangement of indecipherable symbols and letters taking up space between their two posts

- is anyone else having that trouble - is is some sort of code virus ?

I can read "Reply #408568" but thats about it ?

Reply #408572 | Report this post

RRose  
Years ago

Love your work Very Old.

Early contender for post of the year.

That was actually funnier than our last possession..

Reply #408573 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Another disappointing home loss for the team. Bet everyone concerned just want's it to be over and restart fresh next season.

Not really much point digging to deep into Clarke at this stage, IMO. He would know his time his up and you would think would be pretty gutted by the way his Pro gig has transpired. Team obviously has competitive streaks but just cannot close out games.

Most Alarming part of the teams decline over the last several years- on court, has been the fact that the dome no longer seems to be a venue that teams fear to play in, nor is it a stronghold for the sixers to produce inspired peformances in, unfortunately. Teams just seem to stroll in with relative ease, and at times, come away with comfortable vicotries, with little fuss. First thing new coach should be doing is addressing this problem and campaigning in a way, a positive vibe for player and fans, that the dome is to be a venue more resembling of previous years. Make it the aim, not to loose a game there next season. Just simple, positive vibes. Obviously, big part of this, is the re emergence of a large and vocal crowd. Obviously performance and this ambition are inter connecting, so goes both ways.

Interesting times ahead.

Reply #408575 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No booing. Crowd was really supportive of the team. The atmosphere at the end of the game was like the venue we all know at its best, but just fizzled with that bizarre finish.

Second to last offense, I don't know why Gibbo didn't just take it in and pull up for the shot. Last offense, who even knows what the idea was there. You'd assume the team have a go-to play or so for that situation, but nothing much came of it. Crowd was going nuts, then we didn't really get a shot up.

Cairns had played in NZ and flown over here, yet still won.

Thought we looked really flat in the opening warm ups and then started the game very poorly.

DJ had a largely decent game, Gibson fired up at one point and Petrie was good. Daly really showing something out there - playing for a contract presumably and making the most of his minutes.

Reply #408577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, I reckon Daly was good aswell, hope he gets a look in the main 10 man roster next year, could easily take Crosswells spot.

Reply #408582 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Crosswell shouldn't even be out there in a players uniform. Daly should easily take his spot next season. The kid has paid his dues as a DP, its time he was given the full time roster spot he deserves.

According to Clarke's post match interview they did run the play they wanted at the end and couldn't believe a foul wasn't called. Personally I don't know why Gibbo didn't go for it himself.

DJ was quiet in the first (what 36er wasn't?), but picked it up over the final three periods for yet another double-double. I can't really blame him for the foul on Wilson that gave the Taipans their winning 1pt lead. Why was he left to guard him anyway??

Once again Jason Cadee can't seem to get it together playing at home, he had a shocker tonight. Even Scott Christopherson's game stats looked good in comparison.

And speaking of Christoherson, at least the home fans finally got to see him come away from a game with a higher 3pt % than anyone else in the team.....

Good to see the team, coaches included, thank the crowd for their on-going support after the game finished despite the loss. What was the crowd figure, does anyone know?

Reply #408584 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Official Crowd figure was 5309

Reply #408596 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Agree, crosswell's minutes are pointless. doesnt do much, yet daly gets in, has a go, gets a massive rebound with no help. then the mystro takes him off and puts crosswell in. madness, but supported by Marcus camby, you betchya.

While at it, when they do their end of season wrap, and get rid of people, god i hope its the coach, the assistant coach, the MC who hosts the game.

Had to laugh at the 'high fives' going around from Dean Parkers supporters group (sponsors). Should be interesting to see whether he can live up to the expectations we had for the female ceo who had khaki pants, a coffee in hand 24/7 and syrode the walkways like she owned them.

Reply #408642 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

And we'll never see Clarke set foot on the Brett Maher court again.

Hopefully the club can focus on healing up from this three year crap storm now and move forward.

Reply #408664 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Couldn't attend the game but good to hear crowd was up and about.

Reply #408668 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Very Old, very funny. This problem you mention has occurred many times on this forum in the last few months. Must speak to Isaac about it.

Reply #408671 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Great size crowd, shows the price point is critical. If I decided against a season ticket it would be hard to justify to pay $25 for a game night ticket when you'd rarely go to a game confident or with the chance to see an awesome team/player. Just how the league is at the moment. $10 is a different story and being honest $10-$15 should be the going rate at this point.

Crowd tried to get them over the line but not our night.

Reply #408676 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Marcus Camby... If 36ers don't finish in the bottom 2 next season, will you banish yourself from this site for good? Because then we will have evidence the coaching is the issue, and you can shut up. I do think however that you won't use the site next season anyway as there will be no point due to your only reason to post on here will be without a job.

As for the game. The guys battled their way back into the game when it looked the doors had been closed on the team in the first few minutes. The team has showed some heart this season, so hopefully that will go into next season (especially if Petrie is still here).

Reply #408685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't understand in last play why Gibbo was so slow bringing the ball down as though they were going to play out the clock and get a last second shot.

If you are 1 pt down with 16 seconds you need to get the shot off with about 3 seconds to go. This allows time for the shot to miss, get an offensive rebound and put back etc. If the rebound is missed then foul and take your chances at the opposite end foul line.

If the shot is made then take your chances playing defense even if its inbounded from half way after a time out.

Remember: You're losing by a point with 16 secs to go and no guarantee your shot is going to make it. Get up a good shot....with time left over to get another if unsuccessful.

Gibbo appeared to deliberately dribble slowly down the court and this gave us less time to get off a decent shot with NO time left on the clock.

And we all know what happened there, don't we!!!!!!

Reply #408787 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Got to agree with Ricey (who would've thought!), but Marcus Camby, how can you constantly support him as a coach?
If he is as good as a coach as you are saying then it must be the players fault and the reason we are on the bottom of the ladder?
Unfortunately this is the third season we have languished at the bottom and Clarke has had very different sides each year, which he has picked.
What changes do you think should be made?
And why do you think we should support him as a coach? What has he done for the club?

Reply #408917 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754