David
Years ago

Kevin Ware injury

My thoughts go out to Louisville player Kevin Ware. I don't think anybody would wish that on someone the injury that he received. I'm not sure if he will come back and play again with an injury like that.

I know Broncos Jharal Yow Yeh had a similar injury and has most likely been ruled for at least two years. But Ware's compound fracture looked worse because it was a compound fracture of the leg.

Topic #31297 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

It was utterly sickening.

Reply #411720 | Report this post

christo  
Years ago

I watched it live and thought it looked terrible at first. Then photos surfaced on twitter of the bone protruding a good 3 inches out of the skin then I realised it was worse than terrible... it was f#$cked

Reply #411721 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

not for the soft hearted

[waring=gore] still shot of the injury
http://imgur.com/6gWpoez

the play in which it happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJWU_41G28

Reply #411722 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Grahpic indeed even for the toughest stomachs.

Kevin has sinced received successful surgery.

Hopefully he gets well.

If he makes it to the NBA, it would be one of the greatest stories ever told and movie worthy.

Reply #411726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4.9 a game average before the injury.... this will sadly be his number one ultimate espn highlight. No nba for this guy, just an inspiration for his teammates to win it all.

Reply #411728 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Pitino has suggested that it will take a year for him to recover from this injury before he can return to basketball. So maybe continuing playing basketball is not completely out of the question.

Joe Theismann who's injury in the NFL in 1985 was rated the most shocking injury of all time. Has suggested that Ware should not be immediately ruled out for a future in basketball because of what science has been able to achieve in modern medicine. Theismann injury was so horrific that his career ended.

Reply #411729 | Report this post

Years ago

can easily return to basketball - as long as no complications - which should be the case.

red shirt for 2014

dont be surprised if it's a motivator.

Reply #411731 | Report this post

Wondering Coach  
Years ago

I like to think I have a strong stomach, but that was sidkening, and I even had to look away.

Reply #411735 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Had to hold the ipad at arms length and turned side on to watch that one, didn't want the image burned into my brain, but had to see it for myself. Poor Guy.

Reply #411742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely up there with the Lawrence Taylor sack on Joe Thiesman in NFL and Sid's leg break after jumping off the ropes in WCW

Reply #411745 | Report this post

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

I can remember something similar happening at the Norwood Basketball Carnival when it used to be at St Bernards. Guy drove to be basket and his leg snapped in about the same place.

Seeing that has haunted me ever since.

Reply #411752 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Really don't think broadcasting should show live footage of incidents like that. His team mates were in total shock, Rick Pitino shed a tear or two.
Glad to hear that the surgery went well though and that he will now be on the road to recovery. Medical red-shirt for next year then has 2 more years after that.
Even though I'm a Duke supporter I'm rooting for Louisville to win it all, they looked solid today.

Reply #411757 | Report this post

Years ago

nothing wrong with it being on TV - probably just showing it over and over is a bit uncalled for - which was well handled by the broadcaster.

it is what it is - quite a recoverable injury.

all the best to the lad and it might just spur the cardinals on

Reply #411759 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Recoverable no doubt.

Also, the medical/physio services at his disposal will be first-rate..the same level of treatment as the NBA.

Prays go out to him.

I can see Louisville going all the way. Teams don't need any extra motivation at this stage of the season, but no doubt each Cardinal has a burning drive to do it for Kevin.

Reply #411781 | Report this post

Wound  
Years ago

I'm in the medical profession myself, and even I could not stomach that. And I've worked previously worked on cadavers. Such a shocking injury! I think what made it worse for me was seeing his team mates reactions to the incident and what they had just witnessed.

Reply #411826 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Despite all the upsets throughout the Tournament, this has quickly become the story of the tournament. Pitino was tearing up, all the Louisville players were tearing up, even Coach K and some of the Duke players shed a tear. Pretty gut-wrenching stuff.

Credit to Louisville for remaining focused on the job at hand and coming away with the win. I like Michigan, I'm a huge fan of Trey Burke, but if Louisville ended up taking out the Tourney I wouldn't be the least bit upset.

Reply #411868 | Report this post

Years ago

tweeted a picture of him up on crutches already

Reply #411890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754