Isaac
Years ago

Boti lists contenders for 36ers coaching spot

Obviously this is just his perspective and there might be others being considered:

"We're going through the process of putting a (selection) panel together and have already had agents calling in and offering us candidates," Sixers chief executive Dean Parker said.

"Obviously we want to move forward as quickly as possible but by the same token, we don't want to rush what is a very important decision for the club."

Perth coach Rob Beveridge, his assistant Shawn Dennis, ex-Bullets and Gold Coast mentor Joey Wright, three-time 36ers championship coach Phil Smyth, championship-captain Brett Maher and Wollongong championship coach Brendan Joyce appear to be the main contenders.
"Obviously we'd look at Bevo (Beveridge) as he is out of contract at Perth at the end of the season," Parker said.

"He is in a grand final series so he has bigger fish to fry but we will talk with him when the time is right.

"We believe Shawn Dennis will be out of contract (at Perth) too."
Full story

Topic #31327 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Rice anybody?

Reply #412363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean mike Gibson

Reply #412381 | Report this post

Who?

Reply #412389 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

The low levels our fan base felt under Marty Clarke are evidenced by our desperate considerations for replacement. We wanted Phil axed throughout his last year and now we want him back? We have felt the pain of having rookie NBL coaches for the last 5 years and now we are considering other coaches who haven't yet been a head coach at this level?!

Reply #412401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think any of those names mentioned would be a upgrade on Clarke so would be happy enough with any of them.

My preferences out of those mentioned in the opening thread quotes would be Bevo, Dennis, Maher and one who wasnt mentioned Gleeson.

The others would be upgrades on Clarke and are championship coaches, so would be happy enough with them also, just have a few more cons than the others.

This is what i think of the coaches. In preference order.

Bevo - great coach, great recruiter of talent, not a massive fan of his game style but it wins, may be just as a result of some of his better players being great defenders and not great scorers, eg Martin ,having said that the Wildcats generally put up decent scores and find a way to win through there defense if there shot aint dropping a bit like Goorj so would learn to be ok with it, even though i prefer a free flowing high scoring game aslong as they are winning, which you know they would be. A massive pro on his side is he may be able to recruit guys like Lisch, Knight to the 36ers. Would almost certainly put the 36ers back in the top 4.

Dennis - seems to be the assistant with the biggest raps and most ready, having already coached previously helps aswell, not a complete rookie but still not much experience. Would probably bring similar to Bevo in many ways and if we cant get Bevo wouldnt be upset to get Dennis. A risk is he hasnt been a head coach in a while so would be seen as basically a rookie, the last 2 rookie coaches havnt worked, but i guess the 1 before them Smyth did so can go either way.

Maher - another rookie coach, with no pro coaching experience, however favourite son, was a very smart player and good leader, generally seen as someone most feel would make a good coach. If we can get Bevo or Dennis id take them and get Maher as an assistant to serve an apprenticeship under one of them, but if we cant get either of them id give Maher a crack. He is rumoured to have Arsego lined up as an assistant which is a good move. With Parker being only a part time GM, is there money to have a basketball GM/coach mentor someone like Smyth, Stacker, Gleeson would be good in this role, to help with recruiting a bit like NBA clubs but also mentor Maher a bit like Eade and Buckley in the AFL.

For me it probably stops there either grab Bevo or Dennis from Perth or hire Mahersy, but here are the next best imo.

Gleeson - good experienced coach, coached NBL recently enough, usually picked decent imports and recruited reasonably well. Townsville probably operated on a 36ers like Budget and he did well making the playoffs basically every year, has coached Schenscher successfully before, made him basically the centrepiece of the team and made playoffs so if he can do the same in Adelaide would be great. If we cant get Bevo and want a NBL playoff experienced coach id go Gleeson and would like Maher to work as an assistant if we go down this path.

Smyth - local hero, 36ers most successful coach a very passionate South Aussie who loves the 36ers. Coached a game style that was fun to watch, recruited good imports and generally decent Aussies even though letting a few young guns slip, but probably not all his fault at the time. Just wonder if its best to go back to the future as most fans were happy to see him go after 10 years and whether or not we are best to just simply go back to him after his successors havnt worked. He also hasnt coached pro basketball anywhere since so has he kept up with all the players, trends, etc. Not sure how much he would watch NBL games to be aware of the current crop of players. Wouldnt be upset if they went down this path, would actually be excited to have Smyth back involved but just a few more question marks for me, especially not coaching for a few years even at ABL/SEABL level as far as i know being the biggest one. Also seemed to do his best with big budget rosters which im not sure the 36ers can afford these days, but the 2002 team was hardly big budget or full of proven players so he probably could work with our younger players on todays budget and would definatly pick better imports than Clarke did. The 'bad' ones in his time would be the best of the recent imports. Would definatly have a team that entertains and puts bums on seats.

Joyce - would be ok as he has worked successfully with the Hawks, who were not a big budget franchise like the current 36ers, but if they went down that path id have a no Daniel on the roster clause/rule, he seemed to get too carried away with that. He would demand all players play hard all game and hold guys like DJ accountable for every play and bench him when he slacks off on defense. Massive con like Smyth hasnt coached NBL or SEABL or anything for a while so not sure if he is upto date on coaching todays players, but he has been commentating so would atleast have watched all the current NBL players and be aware of some of there strengths/weaknesses.

Wright - A championship coach, coached guys like Gibson, Cadee, Petrie, generally recruited decent imports and generally made the playoffs or very close. To me my question is would he work where he doesnt have huge budget to spend? I also beleive in some cases given the rosters he has had he has underacheived, but however did make last years playoffs, but Gold Coast did go bust, not convinced his roster would have been in the '36ers budget'. I could be being too harsh just saying he needs big $$$ rosters to win, i just dont think he would do that well at a Hawks like a McLeod does for example, and the 36ers are probably more Hawks than big $$ these days. Massive pro is he may be able to keep Gibson also would likely bring in better imports. He also coached NBL last year and is still involved in basketball coaching now in Qld. He is also a very demanding coach and would all players accountable at both ends, which some guys on our team need. Also seemed to be a good recruiter of Aussie talent.

For me if Maher isnt coach id like him to be an assistant.

Any of these guys would be heaps better than Clarke so for me we cant go wrong, just interview them all, pick the best, this is my preference order from afar with no inside knowledge of any of them what so ever.

Good luck to the 36ers, pick any of these guys things should improve, will be very interested to see who is picked and what the future holds.

Reply #412403 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Why WOULDN'T Bevo stay at Perth? (apart from having to live in Perth of course :-) And why wouldn't they pay him handsomly to do so?

ShaneD

Reply #412405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacker should be their first call! need someone who can build programs but has coaching experience in the league

Reply #412406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most coaches would prefer to live in Perth than Adelaide. Actually most coaches would rather live anywhere but Adelaide. Will need to offer some good $ to get a coach to go there.

Reply #412409 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Most sensible people would never want to live in Adelaide.

Reply #412411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason Perth names get mentioned is there is the rumour of coaches not getting along with management and looking to move on.

Also in Dennis' case if Bevo stays its a better job going from assistant coach to head coach in adelaide.

But yea if all are happy Bevo wouldnt leave Perth for Adelaide, especially given they are in the grand final yet again.

Reply #412418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti said Lemanis is going to get the Boomers job (and thus leave the Breakers) and Bevo is leaving the Wildcats to take up a gig in China.

Reply #412419 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Bevo leaving Perth to another NBL team would surprise me. I would imangine that Perth are starting to make a fairly tidy profit and although there is a Salary cap for the players, I don't believe there is any limit on the coaches.

I'd find it hard to belive Perth wouldnt be able to easily top any offer from another team.

Reply #412421 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skip, sounds like the working relationship with Marvin has become untenable though. At some point, a non-exorbitant amount of money wouldn't make up for that. Also, doubt Perth could justify competing with a Chinese offer if that was up for grabs.

Reply #412422 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

With a hard cap, player points rating, and hard economic times for the league, spending a little bit extra on a smart coach who can build a culture long-term is actually a money-saving venture in this league IMO.

You end up having guys leave money on the table to play for a winning culture, and smart recruitment means less overspending and more targeting of underrated/system guys who are cheaper. Paying a Bevo or Lemanis an extra fifty or so grand a year to lure them away is a small investment for long term gain.

Reply #412424 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You could do a lot worse than Paul Woolpert too. I rate him ahead of Gleeson as a coach, so if he's in the conversation Woolpert may as well be too. Although signing the runner up to the spoon's ex-coach would be a hard sell to fans. Would be a lot of value there though because it would have driven his asking price way down.

Townsville's season would have looked a lot different if he got the imports he originally wanted and not had underperforming guys re-signed behind his back. Not championship different, but he'd probably still have a job. Just sayin'...

Reply #412427 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, first post - yes, I agree. Adelaide would be a different story right now had they just paid up a bit to meet Bevo's demands.

Second post, not so much. Not many in the group sound too keen on Woolpert. Also, at least one of those two imports were from his stint in the US, right? It's not like they were coming in unscouted.

Reply #412428 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Not sure why Bevo wouldnt get along with management apart from them getting upset he wants to coach the boomers, surely not a deal breaker. And if he does get the boomers job and it is full time in tandem with the AIS then he wont be coaching any NBL team.

Perth offer new practice facility, brand new arena, probably the largest support staff in the league, an assistant coach + another assistant coach + a scouting assistant coach with nba experience + a full time strength and conditioning coach = 4 assistants? any other team boast that?

Perth will be able to match money plus his family is settled in Perth now.

If he does leave I would be very interested in finding out why but we probably never will.

Dennis on the other hand has the above except for that promotion to Head Coach and I think he would be had if he was offered the role. Although Marty and Radford were both Bevo's assistants so do the 36ers want to pick up another one?

Reply #412435 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I am a massive believer in the horses for courses theory so the coach I would get is Smyth. The main reason is the coaching style MUST reflect that of the club / fans and the fact is we like watching our teams play up tempo free flowing basketball with the drive and dish play that has seen us applaud the likes of Pearce , Mckay , Green , Maher , Ng and get the fans on their feet mixed with the inside hustle of Davis , Rees , Jones and Stiff. A defensive style of coach whilst fix our gaping holes it may also not attract the will I or wont i go fans to the games on repeat occasions. I will always be a season ticket holder regardless but the times I love most is when a time out is called after a 10 zip run on offence. This is why Phil must get the gig or Maher ( little concerned about 1st top gig but some people over come it ). Bevo would be Ok providing he buys into our style and Gleeson may be Ok.The others No thanks.

Reply #412437 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm not saying Woolpert is the guy, he would be a PR nightmare to sell to the public after dumping Clarke, just saying I rate him ahead of Gleeson. He had coached both guys before I believe but they were far from his first choices. As was evidenced by Smythe tweeting "we have narrowed the import big slot down to two guys" and then announcing the next day the signing of a guy who wasn't one of those two. But now I'm hijacking the thread...

Adelaide needs Lemanis or Bevo, just like Townsville does. Let the bidding begin...

Reply #412438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin = Beveridge gone.

Reply #412439 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

From a personal development standpoint, I would be bored if I were Lemanis or Bevo. Both are pretty young guys for head coaches and both have been a league apart from the next best at this level for some time.

I'd want to see if I could do it all over again from scratch just for a laugh or head overseas...

Reply #412441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are people going on about Dennis as if we are taking a punt on yet another assistant? He has already been a head coach in this league.

Reply #412447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dennis deserves a go... either townsville or 36ers should pick him up...

I think stackers will be townsville first option

Reply #412450 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lemanis has said if he gets the Boomers job he wants it to be full time and therefore he would leave the Breakers.

Not "I'm sick of winning and being well looked after by a model franchise, I want to go somewhere with less resources and financial stability".

Reply #412451 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

One rumour re. Smyth was that management at the time were not allowing him to coach the way he saw fit.
That would be an easy problem to fix. I suspect that's why he said he'd be interested if the club approached him; that would give him some leverage to run the show how he wants.
I'd be OK with Smyth/Maher combo.

Reply #412456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis was a failed NBL coach though. That Newcastle team fell in a heap in 98/99 similar to the sixers group this year. Also similar situation, they had talent and underachieved.

What has he done since to prove himself?

Reply #412457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we are talking a whole 15 years or so later.

Dennis has come a long way since then

Reply #412462 | Report this post

Devil's advocate  
Years ago

Well if he has, can you explain in what ways? He had a gig in NZ, how did that go? And what's he actually doing in Perth? The scouting? Match-ups? The D? The offense? Bevo has coached the same way for ages and this year the only really notable change has been slightly less full court pressure at times and experimenting with a zone. What has Dennis bought to the table?

I know every time that the next Sixer coach is pondered on here some anon close to Dennis sprouts him as the next great thing but why? From a marketing standpoint he's unknown, it doesn't seem like he really be a strong recruiting draw card and maybe he is a good coach but by no means does he stand out as a clear favorite. Just because you get to sit next to Bevo and whisper sweet nothing's in his ear does it mean you're the next coach of the year.

All that he can be judged on so far thats really in the public sphere is his Newcastle gig, which was every bit as bad as Marty's tenure.

Reply #412463 | Report this post

Hogy  
Years ago

Yeah, Smyth was asking to be allowed to pay what ever he wanted to recruit players and BSA was asking him to be fiscally responsible.

Reply #412464 | Report this post

Pay back  
Years ago

Every one on here was giving bevo and shit now u want him as coach? Guess u guyz would love wags and redhage to if the play for 36ers? Dreaming

Reply #412485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo was given crap for his comment complaining about physical play, i dont think anyone said he was a bad coach.

Some, myself including are not huge fans of the Perth game style, and prefer the 36ers and all teams to play a more free flowing high scoring game style, but right now winning is winning and the 36ers need a winning season, which bevo would certainly bring.

Same as Goorj in the past we all hated him and his game style as 36ers fans, but if he came to the 36ers and put us back on top we would be happy enough, i think most would still prefer a better game style though.

Reply #412486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boti lists contenders for 36ers coaching spot"?

Seriously? Boti listed just about anybody he could think of so when a selection is made he can claim some sort of inside scoop or inspired insight. Typical Botism.

Reply #412498 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anon above wins the thread.

Reply #412509 | Report this post

So Boti got it wrong, or you just don't like him?
Who'd he leave off the list that you'd have on it?

Reply #412520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't leave anybody off the list - that's the point.

Reply #412522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the time the Sixers select a coach there will be no free agents available. Other than those that no other teams wants. Just sayin....

Reply #412526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol im not close to dennis at all. just think hes the kind of guy that could do well.

u guys go for brett

Reply #412528 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i hear Maher will be coaching the 36ers next year....

Reply #412646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A certain radio station said tonight maher has been planting seeds for 7 months through his manager. Also said the same manager is pushing for joey wright. Wright and maher have same manager

Reply #413052 | Report this post

Hogy  
Years ago

Funny that Boti might not have even got the name right.

Could be a Kiwi.

Reply #413056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would Wright and Maher work together?

Reply #413059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754