Isaac
Years ago

How did you follow the NBA pre-internet?

I was thinking yesterday about what options were available to NBA fans before internet access became common. If a result wasn't shown on TV news or listed in the paper or mentioned on local radio, what could you do? Subscribe to a basketball magazine and wait a few days to hear more?

Many 30ish year olds will remember scorelines in the fine print digest of newspapers and that might give you some basic stats if you were lucky. And a highlights show in the morning on weekends. Was there anything else timely?

Today there are live streams, live-updating box scores, tweets from the crowd, highlights on YouTube and photos online as the game is played.

Such a huge change.

And it made me think about how younger fans likely follow the league. Are they watching stats or tweets or live streams? Or are a good percentage just turning to YouTube for highlights?

If the latter, how much has the NBL been missing the ball with such a poor video offering recently? Here's the NBL's YouTube channel - get ready to cry.

Their Plays of the Week playlist stopped in Round 7. And it wasn't the season just been, but back when Diamon Simpson played for Adelaide and Ron Dorsey for Melbourne. Their most recent in the Game Highlights playlist is Round 8 2011/12. The second video includes the Gold Coast Blaze.

In their main playlist, the most recent highlights video was Round 20. Before that, one in Round 16 and then a Round 14 before that.

The most consistent videos were It Goes Off by Gaze and Bernard. These do include discussion and game highlights but in a 25 minute video. I have never sat down to watch a 25 minute basketball video on YouTube in my life.

I will however watch Plays of the Round/Week/Day videos, NBA game highlights on YouTube or ESPN, NBA "Phantom" slow-mo videos, fan-captures of specific plays from TV, etc.

Failings in this area would be hurting support in the teen market, IMO.

Topic #31543 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Is there an NBL app?

I have the Bleacher Report App on my Android. It allows me to follow a team and get all information, scores and updates about that team

Also have the ESPN scorecenter app. It's awesome. Gives me live score updates and my phone plays that ESPN introductory music when the game is over (Love it). Also get 2 minute warnings etc.

If NBL did this it would be cool. But I imagine it would be costly.

Also, when the NBA is on, its daytime and getting updates while at work, Uni or while im busy is cool.

Don't know if I would be as excited to get updates on Friday or Saturday nights for NBL games when I am a few deep with mates at a pub on a Saturday night. Hmm

Reply #416413 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

My biggest complaint with the NBL is how far behind the ball they are with entirely free technologies like youtube. These aren't things that cost a lot of money to get right. It just takes someone with some god damn taste and tact to put the packages together. And then they go and put together a 25 minute video that is more along the lines of what is suitable for talkback radio then internet streaming in 2013.

Reply #416415 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

One on One Magazine
Pro Basketball Today (PBT) paper.

The scoresheet in sports digest of the newspaper + small articles if printed.

Discuss in the school yard amongst other kids.

Reply #416417 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Was there are paper before PBT? Basketball Weekly, or something?

Reply #416418 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I mean they don't even have a mobile optimised website. I've seen amateur sporting organisations with mobile optimised websites. It's a joke.

Reply #416421 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

case in point - the NBA made a massive deal of this move by Harden. At the time it was all over their twitter and facebook about how amazing the play was. Listen to the commentators go off and get excited about it. This reaction educates the fans and lets them know what they just saw was amazing.

Then compare this to the NBL version which in my opinion was an even better move. it wasnt mentioned anywhere by the NBL. Most fans would have missed it all together

Reply #416425 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Champ 33 - the same as you, plus there was a time when we in Oz did get a few NBA game of weeks on TV...but that was back when Jordan was still playing

Reply #416426 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

When I was around 11-12 I remember having to rush home to watch NBA Action on channel 10. Whilst the internet was around in 1994 it was not as common for many families to have it. Without NBA Action and Basketball Cards I would not have known or followed the likes of Jordan, Barkley, Robinson, Kemp, Pippen, Malone, Stockton etc..

Reply #416427 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

I grew up with pro basketball today, basketball week and one on one magazine and got most scores from sports tonight

Reply #416428 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

NBA = Ferrari Testarosta

NBL = VW Kombi Van

when it comes to technology of any kind, not even worth comparing. We need to start learning from the USA, they are world leaders in sport technology.

The internet has changed everything and we continue to ignore it or leave it to someone else.

Facebook is one thing, but the NBL really needs to look at the internet as a whole, not just one or two aspects of it, IMO...

Pre internet, I didn't even know there was an NBA, I went and watched the VFL, live, then went home to watch it on the TV (black and white)!

Reply #416429 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

yeah i remember watching many chicago games back in the jordan era on late night channel 10

Reply #416430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, I think there is a paid NBL app, but never heard anyone talk it up. Sounded pretty miserable.

Mick, absolutely agree. I can cut the league some slack on anything that involves a difficult arrangement with a third party or great expense - things like the difficulty of a TV deal or newspaper burying them or missing coverage or not loading up on TV advertising. But there is virtually no excuse when it comes to free options like YouTube and social media and when video content is already available through NBL.TV.

Reply #416432 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I remember staying up late on Friday nights to watch NBA games on ABC with Peter Gee.

Reply #416434 | Report this post

Hulk Hogan  
Years ago

First time poster....long time stalker

Lived for NBA magazines as a kid. Does anybody remember Street and Smiths? I had so many magazines as a kid. Hoop, PBT and various other publications.

Still remember the first NBA game I ever saw. It was late on a Friday night on the ABC and it was Lakers vs Dallas at Dallas. I couldn't understand why people were still on the court when the had five fouls.

At around the age of 20, I discovered the joys of Pontel. Still have so may tapes from there. I have an entire season of the Dallas Mavericks. Geez those were good times.

Reply #416435 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Sports Illustrated really got me hooked on the game in the 70s & 80s. I'd read them agains and again, and then grab the scissors and stick the pics all over my walls.

Reply #416436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Further on Muzz Buzz's point, a critical moment for me was when Dwyane Wade wore fuchsia pants to a game. And the NBA had that as a video on their YouTube channel because it was a talking point online. Seriously, the video is called Dwyane Wade's Pink Pants and it shows little more than that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWCDT4AMbBA

I have never watched It Goes Off, even when my own brother was co-host. Meanwhile, I watched most of And The Foul's Plays of the Round videos.

The current catch cry amongst so many is to stop reinventing the wheel. The NBA know what they're doing. Where financially possible, copy their strategy. They've put 13 videos up in the last 24 hours, including stuff from a game barely finished:

J.R. Smith's INCREDIBLE Behind-the-Back Assist
Tyson Chandler Finishes the Ferocious Alley-Oop
Top10 International Plays of the Week: May 1st
Damian Lillard's Top 10 Plays of his Rookie Year
Top 5 Plays of the Night: April 30th
NBA Nightly Highlights: April 30th
Tony Allen's Shot Goes Up, But Doesn't Come Down
Jerryd Bayless Goes Coast-to-Coast to Beat the Buzzer
Kenneth Faried Finishes the BIG Oop
Kenneth Faried Puts the Exclamation Point on the W...
International Play of the Day: Festus Finishes Strong
Stephen Curry's Top 10 Plays of the 2012-2013 Regular S…
Blake Griffin Elevates to Throw Down

Reply #416437 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah, they can't even get highlights/plays of the week up.

Step 1: Do that

Then start making highlight packages similar to NBA. As Isaac mentioned above:

- Not simply highlight plays.
- Add in videos like "Tom Abercrombie Top 10 Dunks of the Season" or "Top 10 Dimes of the NBL Season".."Top 10 36ers Plays of the Season"

Reply #416438 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

And here's the irony Isaac, most kids in or just out of high school would be able to cut, edit and post something just as high quality in their sleep, given the equipment, authority and footage...

Reply #416439 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

hoopie, totally agree. The State Library in WA has got massive amounts of SI volumes archived and I use to cut TAFE and go sit in there and read mag after mag for weeks on end. I can't recall if I passed that course or not ;-)

Reply #416441 | Report this post

Jonny Flynnsane  
Years ago

PBT was the source, along with One-on-One mag.

A friend had a Sports Illustrated subscription that i'd get about 4 weeks after the fact, still loved it. Still have boxes of them in the garage - Jason Kidd in college era.

Way before web browsers/sites, my parents worked in technology so had the chance to get scores each morning before school on their work computer through newsgroups i think they were called. no images or colour. just white text on black screen.

NBL websites are a joke, an embarrassment for the league. Decent videos are non-existent, aside from sporadic club efforts.

The 3 of the 4 photo galleries on nbl.com.au are Round 1, Round 2, Round 3. To go with Semi Final Game 2's. Nothing from the Grand Final?

The instagram gallery has nothing from the Grand Final and opens in some 3rd party tool "web.stagram" and not even instagram?

The titles for the videos have no consistency

1 - Breakers vs Wildcats
2 - New Zealand vs Perth
3 - Kings vs Breakers
4 - Wildcats vs Hawks

Reply #416442 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I can relate to most of the reflections shared in this thread.

Now can someone please tell me how I can follow the NBL with the help of the internet?

Reply #416444 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

PBT was great. Mix of NBA and NBL that kept you engaged with all the goings on.

Think that finished up mid-1993?

There was also an earlier magazine, cant recall name, mid 80's??

NBA on ABC was also good coverage. A game per week and few extra in playoffs!

I remember when it switched to 10 going to mates places for few beers and watch the bulls/Knicks fight it out!! Got a real sense of community about it!

Reply #416447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vaguely remember ABC having games in the 80's then Channel 10 in the 90's on weeknights and then Saturdays?
One on One and PBT. Hoop Magazine and the odd Season Preview Mag which were expensive!

Reply #416450 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I used to live for Wednesday mornings. I would race to the local milk bar on the way to school to get my copy of Basketball Weekly/Pro Basketball Today. I would read and re-read the box scores and statistical leaders for hours. Those were the days.

Reply #416451 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'll never forget Bill Woods intentionally giving away the result of Game 6 of the 93 Finals during the pre-game show. Good to see their professionalism has not improved one iota.

Reply #416453 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

late night NBA game of the week on ten, Thursday nights.

Reply #416455 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Well the NBA live 2003 got me into it. From there I started watching mainly highlights on NBA.com and box scores and its just progressed from there i guess

Reply #416473 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I do remember NBA Game of the Week hosted by Steve Carfino in the 90's and watching a lot of that.

Throw in the basketball cards.

Myer, Target and other retailers were selling NBA hats, jerseys etc in the 90's. You'd see heaps of kids dressed in basketball gear then or people in general.

I remember the Pontel tapes now that someone else mentioned it.

Some great days.

Reply #416482 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I used to go into the newspaper room of the State Library and read the sports section of the International Herald Tribune, which gave scores and mini-boxscores from games played a day or so previously. This was in the early '80s. Now you kids get off my lawn!

Reply #416496 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ah yes, those were still great days.

As already said, PBT, One on One, SLAM, Street and Smiths..and the good old Advertiser for the day before's games.
(Still have every one on one, and a box of PBT - mainly double 3 peat era haha)

Also Friday nights on ABC, then it switched to Sat morning NBL game, NBA Action, then NBA game of the week. Then straight to the HS courts..good times.

Reply #416507 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Bill Palmer on Channel 7, showing replays of the NBA finals series, through the early 1980s. I remember getting to see a couple of Lakers' playoff games live at friends' house. I think they were on 7 as well and must have been in the late 1980s - probably around 87 or 88.

But I started going to NBL games in 1985 and took out a 36ers' season ticket in 1986. Once I did that, I lost interest in following the NBA. I enjoyed following my own local team in a local competition a lot more than the NBA games.

Isaac and MACDUB - yes, there is an NBL app and it does cost money. I never paid for it as I felt it would be pretty poor value for money, based on the web site problems and live stats problems that NBL has perennially experienced.

BTW, given the news about NBL/BA split, I find myself wondering about the lack of attention to NBL web site, live stats etc over the last 5 months, since Marc Howard left. Given this split has been a long time coming (since the white paper was written), I wonder if BA just stopped investing to fix problems it knew it wouldn't have to deal with after the season just gone?

Also, BA says it won't sack anyone after the NBL splits off, so it looks like no-one was working on NBL stuff except maybe Marc Howard, who's already gone. This would explain the stunningly poor standard (worse than any time I can remember, in the last 4-5 years) of the web site and related stuff over the last 5 months.

Reply #416534 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Street and Smiths. Loved them!

Reply #416535 | Report this post

Deimos 21  
Years ago

One-on-One magazine and PBT
NBA game of the week on Saturday morning
NBA Action

Reply #416551 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I remember NBA on channel 7 on Sunday (?) mornings I think. Early to mid 80's. I thought the league only had four teams though as it was always Boston, Lakers, Pistons or 76ers games on there. Then one morning it was Lakers V Spurs....I was very confused.

PBT was like a drug to me. Couldn't wait for it to come out, then read and studied every boxscore for the week. To the point that a friend of mine tested me on the starting five of every team, and I named them all off the top of my head.

Reply #416563 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I remember using the rosters in an old Basketball Digest to update TV Sports Basketball with correct names.

#ohmigodfrey

Reply #416565 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

I lived in NZ during the pbt era so every Thursday I would memorize all the boxscores and used to get basketball week after school here in Perth all the kids were into it back then. Media coverage is shit here lucky to get small article in newspaper

Reply #416568 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

PBT, great magazine. Finished up about 10 years ago. It had been hanging on for grim death for a while before it finally folded. Shame, back then getting a weekly update was considered a massive upgrade to the monthly magazines

Reply #416570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Used Sports Illustrated in the 70's as my prime source of NBA and college info. Went to the SA State Library borrowed, borrowed SI magazines and the library had a facility where you could get poster prints made of any photo in black and white for a $1. Got some great black and white posters made of SI covers. One of my favourites was of a photo when the great UCLA team finally got defeated after 80+ games.I can't remember whether it was Lew Alcindor( Kareem) or Bill Walton in the photo but he had 4 Oregon ( I think) defenders around him and one under the basket. Incredible defensive photograph.

The other source of info was with touring teams. I remember the day I found out Portland trailblazers with Bill Walton defeated Dr J and the 76'ers in the NBA finals in game 7.
I found out from a bunch of high school kids touring from Mercer Island six months later!!!!

Thank god for the internet!!!

Reply #416572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Frank Angove ( SA's Basketball manager) writing a weekly column in the 1960's early 70's which apart from our local basketball ( pre NBL) often provided news of the NBA and college scene

He was one of the main guys instrumental in getting the Apollo Stadium built.

When Adelaide had two daily newspapers, one was the morning edition of the Advertiser and the evening newspaper was called The News.

Frank wrote a weekly column which featured in the evening News paper called Basket Hanging. I couldn't wait for Saturdays!!

I think olympian, and terrific North Adelaide basketballer Alan Hare, also wrote a column called Keyway Capers which provided good basketball info.

Those were the days. But thank god for Boti now. Even though I read 90% of my basketball info online I still like to be able to turn over the pages of a newspaper and read .my basketball

Reply #416574 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

One on one and pbt

Reply #416589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also played TV Sports bball and gave teams all the correct players, pity jersey numbers were wrong.

I still have all my old Pontel games, my One on One, Beckett and PBT's and have tons of channel 10 recorded games and nba actions converted onto DVDs.

Reply #416750 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

SPORTS TONIGHT

greatest television show of all time, sorely missed (but now irrelevant in the 24 hour sports news channel era)

Reply #416848 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

This thread reminded me of this article/interview with Leigh Ellis (best known for 'The Basketball Jones' podcast)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sports/basketball/australian-leigh-ellis-living-out-his-dream-working-in-canada-on-nba-podcast-the-basketball-jones/story-e6frf3f3-1226623740488#.UeE2ksp7DzQ

The obsession went to absurd lengths, as getting information from the NBA was very difficult in Australia in the late eighties.

"A friend of mine, his dad used to work at the airport, and he'd be cleaning the airplane and there'd often be those newspapers there, and once I found that out, I said if your dad gets the USA Today can you give it to me - because they always had the box scores, and the odd NBA article.

"So I remember paying my friend to get his dad to get used newspapers off the Qantas flights and give them to me, even though they were a week or so late, and I would just pore through box scores, recaps and things like that. That was the closest thing we had to the internet.

Reply #427599 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754