Anonymous
Years ago

Final 12 Boomers for China series

Who would you go with?

I base my 12 man selection on potential players for the future.

Cadee
Madgen
Nevill
Johnson
Wagstaff

Norton
Goulding
Dumovic
Ellis
Gibson

Simmons
Gliddon

Thoughts?

Topic #31683 | Report this topic

AK-47  
Years ago

Would we go with 10 or 12 players? Assuming we go with 10 in the rotation, my team (from the squad posted in the previous thread) would be as follows.

C Luke Nevill(30)/Daniel Johnson(10)
PFDaniel Johnson(10)/Mitchell Young(15)/Cody Ellis(15)
SF Cody Ellis(10)/Jesse Wagstaff(20)/Ben Madgen(10)
SG Ben Madgen(20)/Adam Gibson(10)/Chris Goulding(10)
PG Adam Gibson(20)/Jason Cadee(10)/Mitch Norton(10)

We'll stuggle to defend the 2/3 spots on the perimeter. We have the 'potential' to get hot from outside, althought you really could see us going real cold. I think our best offensive looks are in spaced 4 out sets with Nevill on the block and pick and roll sets with Madgen/Gibson handling the ball and Young/Ellis/Wagstaff/Johnson setting the picks, with all having the ability to pop or roll to the basket according to the defense.

Reply #419017 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From Lemanis' comments re looking for someone to fill Nielsen's role I think Petrie will be in there.

Reply #419030 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I just don't see Petrie as a long term (or short term) prospect for the Boomers. I find it hard to see him as a candidate to fill Nielsen's role if he's not going to be there past this series.

Having said that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make this team.

Reply #419034 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Adam Gibson
Ben Madgen
Chris Goulding
Anthony Petrie
Luke Nevill

Igor Hadzie....
Cam Gliddon
Jesse Wagstaff
Ben Simmonds
Daniel Johnson

Mitch Norton
Clint Steindl

The only real lesser known entity on my team is Igor, I have seen some of his game tapes however and he does look like 'the best of the rest'. At 6 ft 5, a good size for a point guard, looks like he has some solid moves getting to the rack also. I didnt end up taking a punt on the other college kids, I really dont think Bairstow, Jois are really in the Boomers level.. then again, most guys in this camp aren't there and it kind of pains me to call a team like this 'the boomers'. Luckily the series is only against China and means nothing I suppose.

Adam Gibson, has to be included.. not for any future boomers possibility (i think he is going to be scrapped soon) but for some veteranness which the team outside of him would sorely lack. He is probably going to be the most sound with the ball and dependable defensively. Ben madgen, You probably cant overlook him for this particular team.. He is an outstanding shooter and shows great hustle. Against China I am sure he will do fine with his limited athleticism and quickness but I dont see him making it much further then this. Goulding is interesting, He is just probably the closest thing to a newley or joe ingles this team has... He is definitely "the poor mans" version of the 2... however, a bit of time.. and in a few years who knows what he might turn into. he does seem to have a bit of flare and originality to how he likes to score which is something not many Aussies have right now. Petrie... I see him making the A team actually, Australia has a lot of centers but not many 4 men who can stretch opposition defense with inside and outside play, I think Petrie has wrongfully been overlooked in past seasons and I think its great they are finally giving him the look he deserves. Luke Nevill.. Well, to put it this way, he is good at being 7 foot 2.. I would hope the A grade team never has to resort to him but he should be adequate for the series. Cam Gliddon has been called 'the next Ben Madgen' by someone on NBL TV, I think the title fits but I think Gliddon is a bit quicker and more athletic. Absolute outside chance for a Boomers selection at any point but should injury arise in a few years might be an adequate back up. I dont overly like Wagstaff, he is a Worthington replacement for the series really. Ben Simmonds is the future.. undoubtedly a big part of the teams future. Daniel Johnson is a long way from being a Boomer... there is a chance in a few years he could become a chris anstey type but hes lightyears away right now. Mitch Norton... meh, Client Steindl.. Meh that can shoot.

I think this team will probably be competitive with the Chinese but I wont go out on a limb and say anything about winning the series.

Reply #419045 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Why wasn't Dante Exum named to this squad? he's definitely a future Boomer, I thought he would be a lock on this bunch.

Reply #419051 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Dante exum will be busy with under 19's but expect to see him included for NZ series

Reply #419059 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

LanceUppercut Exum wasn't available.

Reply #419060 | Report this post

youknowme  
Years ago

Psycho do u have Intel saying exum will b in the .nz squad?

Reply #419062 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

There's little doubt that Exum would have been included in this squad, but psycho is right, the Under-19 Emus will be on a European tour whilst this camp in on. I think he need's to be included on every Boomers camp moving forward.

Reply #419063 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

No Intel just optimism I admit I could be WRONG but it's his offseason then so he would be a chance.

Reply #419067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can people please stop mentioning caddee, Petrie and Johnson in talks about the boomers they can't even win in theatre NBL

Reply #419070 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Anonymous... there in the squad so they will be mentioned.

Reply #419076 | Report this post

Captain Peacock  
Years ago

a possible squad for China;
gibson (capt) for this squad only.
madgen - still a chance to make 2014team
steindl - could take wagstaff or ellis
petrie - veteran big, help the younger guys
nevill - only 7footer.

norton or cadee - take your pick
gliddon - great potential
hadziomerovic - future star, uni games buildup
ben simmons - clearly a future star,good experience
young - see gliddon
johnson - could start over petrie?
dumovic or bairstow - both in mix for future

goulding or wagstaff in the mix even venky jois, but more likely future stars will get a run

Reply #419083 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I know nothing about this Dumonic kid whats his deal?

Reply #419091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@CP, re young guns getting a run ahead of Goulding, he is only 24, younger than Gliddon, Gibson, Johnson, Madgen, Nevill and Petrie in the team you named!

Reply #419102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@anon Gliddon is 23 and Johnson is the same age as Goulding...

Reply #419107 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

It's going to be a young side regardless of who is selected, Petrie is our 'oldie' and he is 30 this year. Gibson will likely be named captain of this team

Reply #419109 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Does anyone know why greenwood and Drmic arent in this squad?

Reply #419120 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Not all players young or old made themselves available for this camp...

Reply #419128 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd rather not see guys like Wagstaff and Johnson in this team. They are already in or entering their prime and are not Boomer level players and never will be. Better off giving the slots to young guys with upside who may one day be Boomers in WCs or Olympics. It's not like this series counts for anything.

Reply #419134 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Regardless of whether we want to blood up-and-comers rather than never-will-be's or whatever, we CANNOT afford to get thrashed by China.

It's a Boomers team playing an international series, no matter who's in the team and no matter who we're playing against.

This series will contribute to our reputation and our ability to attract games against better opposition. It may affect our world ranking.

Reply #419142 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

hoopie, this event against China does not affect our ranking.

Reply #419146 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

sorry hoopie, I forgot to mention that I agree with you. We cannot afford to be thrashed. Anytime a player puts on the green and gold they should play like their life depends on it.

Reply #419147 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Thanks, Vart - I feel slightly better now.

Reply #419160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if this series is going to be on TV?

Reply #419177 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

not sure about Tv networks but I am sure NBL.TV is meant to have it

Reply #419270 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/australian-boomers-squad-looking-underdone/?utm_content=buffer3e5cd&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer

Reply #419295 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

A good article . I can't pick a final 12 from that squad that I can see being competitive. Looking forward to NZ series

Reply #419299 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

absolutely agree Psycho. I am glad its a completely meaningless series against china because a team like this would get obliterated in a real tournament.

I am wondering, what number boomers team is it? How many players have to be unavailible for this to TRULY be the team that is picked? It does make me worry for the depth of Australian Basketball. Then again, how many nations would stay competitive once you reach there 3rd, 4th and 5th teams? (other then ofcourse the US who could probably make 5 teams that all challenge for gold)

Reply #419306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible article, he bags people who have been selected but doesnt say who he would have put in there instead. Amateur hour.

Reply #419309 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Heres what I see to be the Boomers depth at all positions, most of the guys in the camp dont even rate on there but it does get thin after the first 3 at every position.

PG:

Matty Dellevadova
Patty Mills
Dante Exum (could jump spots by 2016)
Adam Gibson
Aaron Bruce
Damien Martin

SG:

Joe Ingles
Brad Newley
Ryan Broekohff
Hugh Greenwood
Kevin Lisch (if naturalised)
Ben Madgen
Anthony Drmic
Clint Steindl
Cam Gliddon

SF:
Joe Ingles
David Barlow
Ben Simmons (could jump spots by 2016)
Mark Worthington
Jesse Wagstaff
Todd Blanchfeild
Mitch Creek
Lucas Walker
Oscar Foreman

PF:
Nathan Jawai
Brock Motum
David Anderson
Aaron Baynes
Daniel Johnson
Ater Majok
Cam Tragardh

C:
Andrew Bogut
Thon Maker
AJ Ogilvy
David Anderson

Reply #419325 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The author of that article just doesnt get this series is about testing out a group of mostly young guys to see who adapts well to the international game.

Reply #419333 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Youknowme, any reason why you would rate Greenwood ahead of Drmic? Based on their college stats, Drmic is looking like a far better option as a pro down the track.

Reply #419337 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Youknowme, your list looks good imo just wondered if aleks maric still part of the picture? Centre looks thinnest but Baynes and Jawai can play a bit of 5, at least until Maker develops. Also possible nick Duncan and Dane Pineau could challenge the list in next two years. Luke nevill another option?

Reply #419339 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I just couldnt stand how Maric Played at the Olympics. Was near useless could definitely slot some of the 4's as 5's and use Anderson/Jawai for it.

Might need to put Jonah Bolden in the mix actually...

Reply #419365 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Youknowme and psycho, I think you might find that Baynes and Jawai will split the centre position for the Boomers in 2014 and beyond. Seeing how easily Bogut tweaked his ankle in game 5, I'm now on with all those that think he may never play for the Boomers again. Not because he doesn't want to, but purely because his body will not let him. The way Lemanis likes to play, I think he'll run with Baynes and Jawai in the middle, and a mobile stretch four like Motum, and at the rate he is going, Ben Simmons may even be a stretch four in the future.

Reply #419459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754