Beantown
Years ago

Sixers China Tour

Any word on their first game yet? Apparently they lost, that's all I know. Oh and Jarrid Frye likes blondes ;-)

Topic #32424 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

They did lose but they aren't really focussing on winning for this tour. Gary Ervin's been delayed and missed the 1st game. Frye is apparently very smooth on the court with good handles so look forward to watching him play.

Reply #432830 | Report this post

Curtleyambrose  
Years ago

Aren't focused on winning, what a great attitude.

Reply #432835 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

36ers lost to Utah Valley University 75-83 in Shenzen, China. Australian Will Sinclair plays for UVU.

http://www.wolverinegreen.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081713aab.html

Reply #432836 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Johnson hsd 19 & 11 whilst Schencher had 16pts

Reply #432837 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Johnson with pretty numbers and a loss to an inferior opponent. Sounds like the sixers I know...

Reply #432846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO who's playing? Schenscher, Johnson, Teys, Cadee, Frye, Creek. Is that it?

Reply #432853 | Report this post

Hoop God  
Years ago

You'd think with the new regime in charge we'd actually hear something about the Sixers in China.

It cant be too difficult posting some scores/stats online whether they are in China, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt or wherever !!!

Whilst I admire the idea of video interviews online the first one was an embarrassment with our new import.

I'm about to check the Sixers home page ( which I have been doing the past few days) and see if they have actually got a report on whats happening in China.

Fingers crossed!!!

Reply #432854 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks LC, bit disappointed to see that they lost to a minor college team, but like Cadee said they were a bit rusty. Missing Ervin, Gibson, BJ Anthony and Petrie wouldn't have helped either!

Reply #432865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the reality is that they have taken away Joey's hood, gonna get on the piss according to another here and lose to minor team and "they aren't really focussing on winning for this tour"
Plus they have had no real connections to the fans in this overseas tour. Has anything changed?

Reply #432923 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"You'd think with the new regime in charge we'd actually hear something about the Sixers in China."

Yeah, I guess if Mitch is over there, perhaps he should be updating the FB page.

Reply #432925 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

When I said they weren't focused on winning I meant their main focus was getting to know each other, each others games/styles, focusing on offensive & defensive structures etc etc...

Geeez some fans expect a lot..

Reply #432926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea that the very few Sixers players that will actually play are bonding and on the piss.

Reply #432949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be Worried Fan's, Be very Worried!!!

Reply #432967 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

News report from the college team in question included this:

Some hot shooting in the third quarter helped propel Utah Valley University to its second straight win in Shenzhen, China, defeating the Adelaide 36ers, 83-75.

The Wolverines made seven 3-pointers during the third quarter, turning a 42-41 halftime deficit into a 67-62 lead after three against the team from Australia's National Basketball League (NBL). UVU held off a Adelaide throughout the final 10-minute frame.
Isn't anyone going on about the team's focus on bonding over winning only responding to a fan's assertion?

Reply #432988 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

It's not really an assertion Isaac when Joey said as much in an interview pre-trip.

However, I dont really see what the issue is, he isnt the first coach to come out and say this sort of thing for a pre-pre-season mickey mouse tournament.

Its a process and they are working through that process. It's no different to Goal Setting, you break down your long term goal into smaller ones and then focus on them. Achieving/completing the smaller term goals will ultimately get you into a position to be able to achieve your long term goal.

Again, I dont really see the problem in winning not being the main focus for this trip, get the process right now and the winning will come when it matters.

Reply #433014 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agree with u Tornado, winning on this preseason trip is not the be-all and end-all. I think the negative comments are just from trolls and pot stirrers. The one and only test for this team will be their results during the season. Preseason results are frequently a pretty poor indicator of how a team will perform when it counts.

Reply #433026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A preseason tournament with players that will never wear the Sixers singlet, is a process in exactly what?
Joey's mates being selected is a process in nepotism. Hardly what the rebuilding Sixers need.

Reply #433029 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sixers went undefeated in China last year and look how that turned out!

Reply #433065 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

the team was missing players so need to take some bodies, they couldn't take any one from ABA due to finals so they took some fillers- big deal

if we lost games with the full squad then get worried , until that happens ....

Reply #433066 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If the rostered players that are available can get into and understand the process then it makes it easier to translate that process to the players who are currently missing when they eventually join the squad.

Reply #433090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the 36ers intending to play anymore games on this China tour? Long way to go for one game ;)

Reply #433129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've prompted them on Twitter for more info. They haven't said anything on there for 1-2 weeks which isn't ideal.

Reply #433131 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just heard on ABC radio the tour has been cut short after 3 games (of 6). Anyone know what happened?

On the bright side, Joey said Jarrid Frye did well and Jarrid himself said he knows a bit about the NBL from some mates that have played in it before. Hopefully that will mean he adjusts to the physicality earlier than some of Sixers previous imports!

Reply #433141 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I think I heard one of the main sponsors of the tournament withdrew at the last minute. Lack of funding forced it to be shortened.

Reply #433148 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The team are already back in Australia

Reply #433150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was waiting for the SACK MARTY Comments!! Surely some of is Marty's Fault.

Reply #433357 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

To Frye : " I been looking all over for a player like you .. I couldn't find anybody ... so , you'll have to do . " Joey said with a smile.
"What time is it, Jarrid?" Dean Parker asked, when they met. "Five to ten." said Jarrid. Parker said :
"That's exactly what you'll get. "

Reply #433362 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754