Perth
Sydney
Adelaide
--------
New Zealand
Woolongong
Townsville
Cairns

Its really wide open this year.From 1st till 8th anyone could place anywhere IMO.

Topic #32631 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Sydney have lost several key players including Ian Crosswhite, Corin Henry and Darnell Lazare, Charles Carmouche projects to be a role player, Madgen is out with injury for the start of the season and you predicted that Jesse Sanders will be the biggest import bust... what about this offseason puts Sydney ahead of New Zealand, Wollongong or Cairns?

Don't you have homework to do?

Reply #436191 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Forgot about Madgen being injured. I thought the combo of Madgen and Ogilvy would be a killer but with Madgen out I dont think they could make the finals. Swap Sydney with NZ.

Reply #436192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This season will be a lot loser than previous,

Top 4
Adelaide
Perth
Cairns
Woolongong

New Zealand
Townsville
Melb
Sydney

Reply #436194 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Think this season will be more even this year. Cairns, Adelaide and Melbourne have clearly improved but both have their flaws like everyone else. Only teams I can't see making the four are Townsville and Sydney.
Townsville just aren't talented enough I think and Madgen will miss too much time for Sydney.
Breakers have regressed slightly I think though and Wollongong it comes down to their imports.
All speculation though. Lets just wait and see!

Reply #436196 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sydney have the worst team by far but hammer gets his guys to over achieve.

Reply #436197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would go:

Top 4
Perth
Adelaide
Cairns
Wollongong

New Zealand
Melbourne
Townsville
Sydney

Perth's import - Ennis is the best import signed this year,
So I think they will finish 1st.

No CJ for NZ is a massive loss, so I think they will just miss the finals.

Reply #436199 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

1. Melbourne.
2. Perth.
3. Adelaide.
4. NZ
5. Cairns
6. Wollongong
7. Townsville
8. Sydney

Reply #436202 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

NZ won't be top 2, but the road trip will still be hard. They might win say 20% on road, but 70% at home? Meaning they could end up 5th or 6th.

My money is Townsville to get the spoon.

Reply #436203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide
Perth
NZ
Cairns

Melbourne
Wollongong
Sydney
Townsville

Top 4 have got good lineups ,esp adelaide and perthwith new imports and coaches and players.going to be an even season.

Blitz next week will tell by results .dunno if some teams are just testing players in positions or taking it seriously.

Adelaide go down to 8-9 player dept
Perth can go 7 deep providing ennis stay whole season .
Nz will depends on imports performances can go 7 deep.
Cairns same as Nz 7 deep

Other teams weak bench rely on staring 5 players.

Reply #436204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide
Cairns
Perth
Melbourne
NZ
Hawks
Crocs
Kings

Reply #436205 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Perth
Adelaide
Melbourne
NZ

Cairns
Wollongong
Sydney
Townsville

Reply #436206 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm going with...

Perth
Cairns
Melbourne
Wollongong

Adelaide
New Zealand
Sydney
Townsville

The biggest question for me is who will finish 2nd between taipans and snakes and if Wollongong can rebound then I think they will make the playoffs but if they struggle on the boards again then I expect to see an Adelaide vs. Perth finals series to begin playoffs.
I think NZ are shot ducks and need a massive season from Abercrombie, which he just may give and Sydney and Townsville will be painful to watch for the most part unless they have injuries and are able to replace with better players... I'm expecting Kevin White to come close to Most Improved Player and Cairns to be on top of the table going into the all-star break. I won't make any predictions as to MVP maybe Goulding, Abercrombie or Rotnei Clarke

Reply #436208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth
Adelaide
Melbourne
New Zealand

Cairns
Wollongong
Sydney
Townsville

Reply #436209 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

NZ go more than 7 deep.

They have Webster, Bruton, Te Rangi, Lazare and Trueman on the bench.

So 1 NBL legend, 2 Tall Blacks, a player who knew his role at Perth and an import PF who is of starting quality or thereabouts.

NZ is just as deep as Adelaide.

Cadee v Bruton
Teys v Webster
Te Rangi v Creek
Lazare v BJ
Trueman v Schensher

Webster beats out Teys and Lazare beats out BJ.
Schensher probably beats out Trueman.
Creek and Te Rangi cancel themselevs out IMO.

Reply #436211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne
Perth
NZ
Adelaide

Cairns
Sydney
Wollongong
Townsville

Reply #436223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats with the Tigers love? Worthington is nowhere near the player he used to be and there new imports are unknown. Perth and NZ are still the best of the bunch. Perth had one import against NZ in the finals and despite Lisch leaving, they upgraded bigtime in Ennis and Beal will be a good combo guard.

Overrall they got a hell a lot better compared to last season. NZ despite losing Boucher will be there about as well.

Reply #436235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth lost an MVP in Lisch, Ennis might not be there the whole season, Martin's coming back from doing his Achilles so will never be the same player again, Redhage a year older, Knight continually breaking down, no bench, replaced Bevo with Gleeson etc

NZ lost the best player in the league in Cedric Jackson and replaced him with an untried guy whos never played pro ball before, replaced the very serviceable Hudson with the disappointing Lazare, lost Boucher's defence/leadership and lost the best coach in the business in Lemanis replaced with an untried rookie Vickerman, guys like Abercrombie & Pledger aren't kicking on too.

Reply #436240 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah melbourne will be terrible.... I have them in the running for the spoon. Shitty roster and terrible coaching. Contenders are everyone except townsville, sydney and melbourne imo...

Reply #436243 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also people are discounting the step down in coaching level from Bevo to Gleeson. Perth wont be as good as people think.

Reply #436245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus Perth lost Dennis to the Crocs too.

In saying all that it's on the other teams to step up, Perth & NZ have been the two best teams for a few years now and don't need to prove anything the others do.

Reply #436247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think those putting Sydney and Townsville towards the bottom with Wollongong just above might be right. Gordie surprises people, but missing Sav is going to hurt and Clarke will need to really step up in the next Blitz games to convince me he can adjust enough. Many other teams have stepped up too. Sydney have a weakish frontcourt and will miss Madgen as everyone has said. Townsville have an even weaker frontcourt, Crawford's injury and Markovic is yet to show his hand.

Most of the rest of the teams have been covered already. But I do think Melbourne could be OK for the following reasons:

- the import guard sounds decent, going by pre-season games (which is all we have to go on)
- Worthington can still play and his defensive smarts and some clutch play is the sort of thing that turns a team around (smart or brilliant defenders change teams IMO - Wortho, Boucher, Vukona, Martin, Saville, even Davidson; I think Gibson and Petrie will start to change things in Adelaide now)
- another year of improvement for Goulding; not many other teams have someone that can get on a hot-streak and be cocky enough to run it to a 30+ game. Bruton can, Webster might get there. Madgen? Hopefully Clarke will be that sort for the Hawks.

Reply #436275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers, should win it all this Year!!
cant wait!!

Reply #436277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Geordie's magic will run out one day - they don't have a talented roster, much like Townsville, so I say both of those are fighting for the wooden spoon. Sydney are not much better and Cairns have a talented but young team... they are my bottom 4 teams.

Perth have 2 GREAT imports plus Martin & Wagstaff but a lot rests on Matt Knight and his constant injuries.

Melbourne will be led by the scoring of Goulding, but can they stop teams from scoring?

Adelaide are very talented and I see them as the big improver this year, especially now they have a coach!

NZ will not be as dominant as the last few years so I see them just scraping into the 4 to tell you the truth! They will take some time to get used to not playing Lemanis' style and adapt to their new structure (not that it will be that much of a drastic change).

SO:

1. Perth
2. Adelaide
3. Melbourne
4. NZ
-------------
5. Sydney
6. Cairns
7. Townsville
8. Wollongong

Reply #436285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching Daequon Montreal drop 46 in the SEABL final, I reckon he would have been a better fit at Sydney than Carmouche. Sydney have far too many guards not even counting the still injured Madgen. Montreal would have provided a little extra frontcourt cover

Reply #436286 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Sydney are light frontcourt wise. Oglivy isn't known for his d. Garlepp is ok and Brad Hill playing the 4 fulltime too.
I have faith Ben Allen will do the job! Lol

Reply #436288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth
NZ
Adelaide
Wollongong

Cairns
Melbourne
Townsville
Sydney

Reply #436302 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Goulding will shoot Melbourne out of as many games as he shoots them into..

Reply #436316 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Surely Geordie's magic will run out one day"

Not so sure its magic or luck.

I think he has done what he has done in the past due to his coaching ability, hands down.

You can say he has had some really good imports and you can call that luck, but really recruitment is all part of the ability to coach.

He has picked up gems usually/guys that fit well with Forman, Davidson, Martin etc. purely because he is a good recruiter.

I agree with you Re: NZ. I could see them coming 3rd or 4th, but not top 2.

Don't think it will be because of not been used to Vickerman's style though, because he was AC and he will run all the same stuff and they will still play up-tempo.
Don't think it will be because of a lack of depth.

I can see them having a few bad offensive nights, and that's probably not a good thing because there is a lot of teams out there that will be quite high scoring. Don't think we will out-shoot as many teams as we have in the past. Especially given the offensive power of teams like ADE, MEL and PER

Reply #436324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Wildcat fan reading this, I think most of you are over-estimating the Wildcats and under-estimating NZ.

Reply #436345 | Report this post

Firty Siksers  
Years ago

Chumps on here never learn, Sydney are going to win it all!

Reply #436352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suppose it SHOULD come down to which team/s have the most talent combined with escaping injury like i mentioned with Knight.

* Perth have Ennis Beal Redhage Martin Wagstaff Hire Knight - a great core!
* NZ Abercrombie Pledger Vukona Bruton Lazare Corletto Johnson - another solid core... maybe I did underestimate them!? Vickerman wont coach exactly like Lemanis - every coach thinks differently.
* Adelaide have Ervin, Gibson, Johnson, Frye, Petrie, Schenscher, Creek, Cadee!!! Wow - they can be very good if they gel.
* Melbourne with Goulding, Wortho, Dennis, Walker, Morrison & Ballsginger - are offensively loaded!

I think that is where the talent falls away a little!

* Sydney has an injured Madgen, an ever injured Harvey, Ogilvy, Hill and the 2 imports Carmouche & Sanders...
* Cairns are talented with Loughton, Trigger, Wilson, McCurdy, Weigh & Burston but the youngsters could make or break their season - Young, Steindl, Gliddon & Bruce.
* Townsville only really have Markovic, Blanchfield, an injured PC and 2 imports who will have to be workhorses in Pace & Conklin. Norton & Djeric are still young but will be in the same category as the Cairns group.
* Wollongong will be once again have a similar look with Davidson, Forman, Martin and 2 imports in Clarke & Summers with Coenraad & Gruber off the bench - I can't see them making another dream run!

I see a bit of a pattern developing where the bottom 4 teams are going to need their coaches to get more out of their teams and they all have the BEST coaches in these situations - Heal has become surprisingly good, I have found a lot of respect for Fearne in making his team work hard, Dennis is somewhat unknown but he has been a major part of what Perth did so effectively and Gordie is Gordie!

Reply #436366 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also the big unknown is how good high volume scoring perimeter guys like Gary Ervin will be under the new offensive rules and how much of an effect that has on their team's standings

Reply #436373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it would be fair to say guys like Ervin would benefit the most from rule clarifications.

Reply #436378 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dont mean to nitpick but you forgot C.Webster.;)

I think he will be their 3rd leading scorer this year maybe 2nd.
After the Ocenia series there should be no doubt about his scoring ability.
Just hope Vickerman plays him the minutes he deserves.

I think he should be first cab off the rank ahead of Bruton. He can play 1 or 2

Reply #436380 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

No clear cut favourite imo 4 teams could win the title (Perth,NZ,Adelaide or melb).

Reply #436385 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it would be fair to say guys like Ervin would benefit the most from rule clarifications.
I agree. Anyone who takes it inside - Ervin, Creek and Frye in Adelaide should be able to take advantage.

Reply #436390 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

The real question is; when will the sack Joey threads start? I predict during the Blitz.

Reply #436397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt it.

Wright is a real coach, in fact the only coach in the NBL with a championship ring, Clarke was untried and considered a worthy gamble at the time but proved to be a disaster.

The 36ers owners made the right decision to not go with another inexperienced coach after the Ninnis/Clarke years.

Reply #436399 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

1. Perth
2. New Zealand
3. Adelaide
4. Melbourne

5. Sydney
6. Cairns
7. Wollongong
8. Townsville

Reply #436405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth: Talent wise this is the best Wildcats team since the 2009-2010 championship wining team. Great depth and a lethal scoring import combo to go with Knight and Redhage. Amazing

NZ:I wont write off a team with Pledger, Bruton, Corletto and co. They are proven winners. Talent wise they've gone a tad backward and Perth has improved so that's why I have them number 2.

Cairns:They finished like a house on fire and almost made the playoffs after they got a mixture of defence and offence right.With the addition of Weigh and Burston makes them even better.Great balance all over

Adelaide: They probably have the best frontline in the league and a top 3 backcourt. The wing is a little bit of a worry but if Frye is what he is cracked up to be, he and Creek will be a very interesting combo at the 3 spot.

5 Melbourne
6 Hawks
7 kings
8 Crocs

Reply #436410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch creek is the most overrated player in the Nbl he hasn't done anything warrant any respect with his offensive game. He can't score and I don't think his defence is what it's cracked up to be. He can guard 1-3 but so what? Most of those guys are his height?
Also cadee, that bloke shines in the Aussie jersey but when the bright lights come on in Adelaide or Gold Coast he goes missing! If he wants to take it to the next level he needs to step it up this year or else he will be in the mix of another nbl point guard flop there is no excuse for him!

I agree with the above anons list.. Cairns will be better than expected and I worry about NZ and Perths new coaches I don't think they will dominate the league like they have in the past. Sydney and Townsville to finish bottom two the imports stink for both teams and feel sorry for Dennis for inheriting that poor squad

Reply #436455 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I concur about Caddee, love the potential the bloke has and would love to see him succeed but if he doesn't blossom this season then you wonder if he ever will

Reply #436457 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He was blossoming pretty damn well last season until he got injured! He was one of our very few bright spots

Reply #436458 | Report this post

1.Breakers
2.Wildcats
3.36ers
4.Tigers
-----------------------
5.Kings
6.Hawks
7.Taipans
8.Crocs

I have no idea why everyone is doubting the Breakers, Vickerman was the assistant to Lemanis so his coaching surely won't be that different. The loss of Cedric isn't that bad considering that Johnson is a stud coming out of college. Their bench has improved by heaps! With the addition of Lazare and the development of Webster and Te Rangi. Also are you forgetting that this team has the best 2 bigs in the league with Pledger and Vukona? I honestly can't believe that some of you have them 5 or even 6th.

As for Perth, Ennis is still very young I honestly don't think he will dominate this league yet. Knight will be great for them as long as he can stay healthy and Redhage will always be good.

Finally the 36ers aren't going to win this year. Sure they got a great coach in Joey Wright but he will be the only difference. Gary Ervin could even make this team worse, as one less person on the team will be feeding it to their most dependable scorer, Daniel Johnson.

So for me. my beloved Breakers are the cream of the crop once again!

Reply #436459 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The bagging of Cadee and Creek is a bit harsh, they would still be in college had they gone over there. Give them time to develop, especially given they have both been set back by injury.

Reply #436461 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

If the Kiwi team wins four in a row, does that mean they're allowed to rename it the ANBL?

Reply #436477 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If you picked Sydney in your top 4 oops.
I only got 5 of the 8 correct.

Reply #463963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754