Moneyballer
Years ago

Should the 36ers replace Jarrid Frye?

It feels like this guy is constantly injured and never scores over 10 points, but with the way the Sixers are rolling would you make a move?

Topic #33261 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't fix what ain't broken.
He was very good in a couple of games early in the season so we know that talent it there.

Reply #447993 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Didnt we go through this like last week?

Reply #447994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's averaging 9.4 PPG and 5.1 RPG on a team that has two MVP candidates and two Boomers squad members ahead of him in the pecking order. He's on more or less minimum salary. He's yet to play more than 30 minutes in a game. In his last three games, he's 12/18 from the field. Why would you replace him when the team is comfortably positioned on the ladder, have a reasonable schedule coming up and can give him some time to work through the injury?

He seems unassuming, so he's unlikely to be a chemistry problem too.

Reply #448005 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

No, he will be fine.

Reply #448007 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"Didnt we go through this like last week?"

Nah, my topic last week was about whether he could step up to challenge the leaders of the league. I don't think we need to replace him.

Reply #448008 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think he's doing a good job regardless of injury. Don't screw with a good thing.

Reply #448009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

keep him, if he gets over the injury and keeps playing well, i wouldnt mind seeing him as a long term 36er, im a big fan of his game.

Reply #448010 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Absolutely not! He is a big offensive threat and defensively, I challenge any NBL club to get an import at his salary that defends as well as he does.

I just can't stress enough how important defense at that position will be come playoffs.

If he can hit FTs and 3pts with relative consistency, then Adelaide will be so so hard to beat.

Reply #448011 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"Should the 36ers replace Jarrid Frye?"

No, why should they?

Reply #448012 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

I also think that Frye should be kept but I think we could upgrade next season with Schenscers salary coming off the books. Just wanted to check what other posters thought.

Reply #448016 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not entirely related to the thread..

But its scary that the 36ers will have Big Luke's money next season to shop around for another elite player.

Could go out and get someone like Bairstow and then use the money left over to get an even better second import.

Scary

Reply #448027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher has a player option for next season.

He signed a 2+1 year deal before the start of last season.

Reply #448028 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

I didn't know anon, in that case he would take that extra year.

Reply #448030 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Id shut frye down and let the niggles heal. Sixers are talented enough to cover him for a few games. Need to be healthy later in the season.

Reply #448031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You never know he might look at the situation and think I'm not the star player I was at the time I signed the deal and might work out a longer term deal for less money p.a.

Don't forget when Gibson signed with us also before the start of last season he signed a 1+1 year deal, then this offseason opted out of his option to re-sign to a 2+1 year deal.

Reply #448032 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

"Schenscher has a player option for next season.

He signed a 2+1 year deal before the start of last season."

Ahh, still haunted by the ghosts of past missmanagement!

I don't want to go too deep into my thoughts about his game, or lack there of.. I think however, the sanest thing to do would be to look at his age, look at his current output, and see that at his kind of money... we could REALLY upgrade next season. Yes, I like the sound of Bairstow... or someone of that level... would David Anderson be impossible?

As for imports next season. Keep one of them, maybe Frye, Maybe Ervin... it really doesnt matter. And spend the cash you save from Schensher on a borderline NBA guy, an Ennis type.. Who else ends contract next year?.... I think 36ers will do very well this year (already are) should keep the main elements of the team in tact and just shuffle the less productive parts out... get 1 or 2 Big time imports or Aussie.. and then try for the top again like Perth has done.

As for Frye going this season, absolutely not. The guy is basically on Christopherson money giving us almost 10 ppg whilst injured. What more do ya want from the guy? ... He is not James Ennis.. but he is not getting paid like James Ennis either!...

I think the chemistry is perfectly fine on the team... "dont fix what aint broken"... so I don't think anyone goes before the season ends.

However, trim "the fat" if you wanna call it that, next season. Drop Schensher and shop for Adelaides answer to an Ennis/Young type. drop any role player who can free the money up to do that, and try to keep the rest of the core guys.

Reply #448040 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Lol people who bag Schensher need to look at what they are saying. For his minutes he is doing exactly what he should be doing, if you want to have him give more output into the game then give him more minutes.

To many people here look at the stats and don't see what a player does on the court. Schensh is a much better Centre than DJ but lacks the shooting ability of DJ, that's the difference in scoring output.

Reply #448041 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Lol. Skud, I am not an idiot.. nor did I start following the NBL yesterday.

I have seen Schensher play big minutes for the 36ers last year... the vast majority of it was absolutely woeful sorry to say. All this fumbling around like a baby giraffe and missing sitters... it was a pleasant surprise when something he did actually worked on court... anyone who says any different is seeing things through rose coloured glasses.

I would be first to say, his play is better this season. Playing around 10-15 minutes per game should have been his role since the start, but I guess with his 'ex nba' credentials too much was expected of him, he was made one of the main guys in a 'twin tower' experiment that never worked yet Marty stuck by despite. Before 36ers took on Schensh, I had indeed seen him almost become dominant for other teams, however this is at a time where I don't think the league had as many good big men as we do today.

Regardless, take all this away skud... Do you think Schensher of today warrants top money?.... If you are a logical person.. you wont think that. Well he is on top money for his 15 minutes a game... So, why not drop him and get a potential star?.... Obvious decision to make.... Schensher is only playing decently, because not a lot is being asked of him. Joey gets him to go out there... be tall for 5 minute spurts, then hit the bench. Perfect role for him... and don't get me wrong... If schensher was on BJ Anthonys money I would have NO TROUBLE in giving him the same role next season. But, thats not the case... and it wouldnt hurt to get a STAR now would it????

Reply #448043 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Sixers currently 8-2 not 2-8 best start in 5 years.
Frye will come good in 2nd half of the year.

Reply #448044 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

I am a big fan of Frye's game. In particular, I love his defence and his ability to finish around the rim.

If you watch some of the big games from this season that have been close, Frye has made some huge defensive plays in the clutch, in particular against the Breakers and Tigers. Getting stops down the stretch is just as important as scoring, Frye has been as valuable as Ervin in this regard in some of the tight games.

It would be nice if he could hit the 3 consistently but I doubt we could afford him if that were the case. Very important to have an excellent and versatile defender at the 3 in the NBL.

Reply #448045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB,

What part of Schenscher having a player option for next season didn't you get? The 36ers can't 'drop' him after this season, he has to decline to pick up his option otherwise he's coming back again next season no doubt on good money.

Reply #448054 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He is not your typical flashy import eg Ennis but he doesn't need to be I think he fits in well at Adelaide and remember the last time you chopped an import you got stuck with Christopherson

Reply #448058 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

You guys might as well keep talking because it is not going to happen.
His D is decent enough to warrant his position alone.

Schenscher is a score also, No idea what $$ he is on nor do I care. Go get another decent 7 footer and then start talking. Not many around.

Reply #448068 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Thats hillarious. so if you could keep schensher for 15 mins a game, over an Ennis level player PF/C.. you would go for Schensh? Someone get this guy a catscan

Reply #448070 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I love these sorts of topics... For one, what money and cap space are you going to pay for another player? It's been said previously that he's most likely on a very low salary, and it's been mentioned elsewhere that Ervin took a BIG paycut to play this season...

As for next season, again, where's money going to come from for all these gun/NBA fringe imports? You've got Gibbo re-signed, he wouldn't have dropped his option and come back for LESS... He really only signed with Adelaide because there were no other options when Gold Coast fell over... Same with Peach... their latest contracts would have reflected an increase in their value... Big Red on Big Money, DJ on Big Money, even Creek re-signing would have given him a boost... you guys really are very lucky that you're under the cap as it is, and I seriously doubt if you'r emore than 10c under the cap as it is now...

Second on the ladder, only team to beat Perth, there's no pleasing some people... lol...

Reply #448073 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

well lukes contract has the OPTION to extend... so the option goes both ways. Drop him and get a stud. Done.

Reply #448074 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Top-level bigs cost more than perimeter players. If Adelaide could pick up a fringe NBA big cheaper with an out-clause then maybe it's worth it, but the cost of getting a guy like Dunigan for a full season would prob impact on the rest of the roster, and he wouldnt go close to winning you a championship on his own.

The 36ers might be very happy with what Luke brings to the team in support of Ervin and Johnson, who are both playing at close to All-First Team level at the moment. Similarly Frye plays a very valuable support role.

Reply #448075 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The topic is a good one for it highlights the criteria under which imports should be released. To me I believe the key areas are:

1. Performance. Are they achieving what they were engaged for?
2. Chemistry. Are they bringing something to the team to make it stronger?
3. Injury. Are they suffering a limiting injury?

The next question to ask is: Will the team be better off with a different import?

I think in the case of Jarrid Frye, it is pretty clear cut.
1. Performance. Doing well IMO. Good defensively, silky on his drives to the basket, but obviously needs to work on his FT's as 5/14 should be more like 12/14. Wouldn't be surprised if Joey's not working on that!
2. Chemistry. I agree with Isaac. I have spoken to him a couple of times. Seems a very down to earth guy and a great team player. He's the type of player who you would want on your team. Someone who lifts guys up.
3. Injury. Yes, he has had a couple of niggles, but nothing really too bad like a hamstring or anything too serious.

The most important question: "Will the team be better off with a different import?" I don't believe so. A different import would just upset the team dynamics. A different import would be the square peg in the round hole.

Overall, unless the medicos bring out the big red texta I believe there's more reasons for him to stay than to go.

Reply #448076 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Can we just go through one season without cutting an import?

Reply #448077 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

GuessWhosBACK...Luke has a "player" option. It is his choice whether he plays with the 36ers next season on his current or agreed salary. The club can not let him go or renegotiate his salary until the following year.

The option does not go both ways so your argument for the next season at least is void!

If Luke chooses not to pick up his player option then the club can renegotiate terms with him....such as less coin but longer term contract, go in a different direction etc...

Reply #448078 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

GuessWhosBACK..Go get another 7 foot player. I don't need a CT, I just understand logistics and options. You just see easy options in a land we call "fantasy".

Don't just say Ennis type of players, give real names of players who are really available and are on the market to actually come here.

Reply #448080 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

every player in the world can come here , whether they do or not is another problem

Reply #448081 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ervin restricted by back injury last week
Aw, you're talking about Frye
Aw well sack 'em both
We couldn't have Ervin and Weigh here under the cap, for eample.
Frye same numbers as weigh in half the minutes and half the wage

Reply #448082 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah ... GWB it don't work like that. Ol' Lukey boy must have had dirty pictures of Marty Clarke's missus to get that deal, because he's holding the reins there. A 2+1 player option contract on what some people have suggested is a fifth of the salary cap; say what you like about Schenscher but his agent is no slouch.

Reply #448084 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I dont have to name names... there are PLENTY of guys floating around who are fringe NBA... Do they HAVE to be 7 foot?.... This is fact, not fantasy. plenty of these players exist.

As I said before.... We are haunted by the ghosts of past missmanagement. We are having to keep a 7 ft role player on superstar money. I DONT MIND HIM AS A ROLE PLAYER... should he be paid like one and stop us from getting a star however? NO!

Reply #448087 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

You know what we are haunted by? Shit coaching. The team has shown it had the ability to play, just got restricted.

I could say the same about plenty of players too, but none will come to the NBL.
Put the crack pipe down dude, its messing with your brain!

Reply #448088 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

look for Luke to take a pay cut but an extension as a trade off at seasons end

Reply #448089 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I dont have to name names... there are PLENTY of guys floating around who are fringe NBA... "

Translation. "I dont know".

Reply #448090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we just go through one season without cutting an import?

We did in 09/10 (Gilchrist & Cortez Groves), didn't work out so well ;)

I'm not agreeing with this nonsense to cut Frye but I think it's gotten to the point where the 36ers need to give him a rest to get over his injuries.

I would've given him the Hawks game and then the next four games too and brought him back Jan 4 against the Breakers or even another game off and Jan 12 against the Kings.

Give him a good month off to get over his ankle injuries so then we've got him healthy for the serious stuff (last stretch of the season/playoffs).

Reply #448095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always trying to sack someone at the 36ers!!

Reply #448096 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Who would you replace Frye with - Christopherson?

Keep him and keep rolling I say.

Reply #448097 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz....I agree with you. I think Luke will renegotiate a longer term contract with the club for less money in place of taking up his 1 year option.

Reply #448098 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In the Hawks game Gibson flu, Ervin back, Creeks ankle played 5mins and Frye had to play with his weak ankle. Reminds Maher of J.Hodge in the way he finishes

Reply #448099 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

surely there is trolling occuring here

cmon guys were winning and traveling well

give it a rest

Reply #448102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And let's not forget we have a new team and coach which takes time to gel. (Just remeber the past coach's comment) I think 10 games is probably about the time they start to gel going on previous season comments.

Next we will hear is should we get rid of Joey as we are only winning by small margins. What next!!!!

Reply #448106 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

""I dont have to name names... there are PLENTY of guys floating around who are fringe NBA... "

Translation. "I dont know"."...

Re-translation...

then how come Europe/China/ (and now NBL) keep finding them?.... I am SURE.. there is a fringe NBA guy floating around who could be coaxed. Or AT VERY LEAST someone better, and who has more skill/entertainment value then Luke Schensher..

Am I a player agent that can name names?... No...

But I know it is LUDICROUS to pay a role player a superstars salary. Fringe NBA guy or not they could get better. 7 ft or not they could get better. IF he signs for a longer deal, with a dramatic pay cut, Sure... he can stay, no dramas here. But not if he is on the big money and there is fringe NBA talent floating around. How many players try out for the NBA... thousands! how many make it... couple of hundred or so? ... I don't think it makes me stupid to assume someone worthwhile could be lured on Schenshers money... someone who will get asses back on seats and keep them there.

So I suppose "I don't know"... But I HIGHLY SUSPECT

as for me smoking a crack pipe... maybe I am the only one here who hasn't?... To say Luke has been particularly good whilst at the 6ers is a misstruth. At best he has been a servicable role player, and he DOES NOT warrant top dollar.. 7 foot or not.

Reply #448112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's irrelevant about his worthiness or not. He has the say on whether he wants to play with the Adelaide 36ers next year on x amount of dollars. If Sixers don't want him then they pay him out that x amount of dollars. Quite simple really. Will he stay? Yes he will as he's from Adelaide and ain't gonna get anywhere near what he is getting now anywhere else. Right place, right time, good luck to him. There have been plenty of other players where the opposite has occurred.

Reply #448128 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Like the anon says, GWB, none of that even matters. All that matters is that unless the 36ers want to pay out the entire contract in one hit, Schenscher is holding the whip hand. You're basically asking him to write a six-figure cheque to the 36ers out of nothing but a vague sense of goodwill.

Reply #448130 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If the sixers sack frye I will not be as interested in them. At his second training he went down on a white decal,since removed,and they've gotta take some responsiblity as he's better with a good ankle

Reply #448131 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"then how come Europe/China/ (and now NBL) keep finding them?.... "

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$>$$$

Reply #448142 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Camel 31 I am really looking forward to seeing him fully fit. An Ankle for a player like him is a really debilitating injury. Its why I started the last thread "can he step up", I want to know just how good he can be.

Reply #448184 | Report this post

Siggy  
Years ago

They should cut him and bring in Lebron James. Doesn't seem to be any salary cap concerns in the league right now so should aim for the top..

Reply #448219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure we could get Lebron. I just think he might turn down the offer because of lack of job security with our predisposition to wanting to get rid of imports when as a team we have had a disastrous 8-2 start. Has anyone thought of approaching the Lakers and offering to ease Kobe back into basketball following injury? We don't even need to charge them for providing that service!!

Let's sack the Admin as well for not being very visionary and coming up with that obvious option I mentioned!

Why the hell aren't we yet calling for Joey's head and bringing in Coach K as well after that start?

Just another disastrous start to the year for the 36ers - I hope we can turn this season around in 2014 otherwise I fear we may only finish second in the normal season !!!!!

Reply #448397 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

GWB you realise Luke has played in the NBA, making him one of these illustrious fringe NBA guys that you don't know the names of..

Reply #448418 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Say No More

LEAGUE LEADER *
PPG
RPG
APG
SPG

Gary Ervin

36ers
Daniel
Johnson
36ers
Adam
Gibson
36ers
Anthony
Petrie
36ers
Jarrid
Frye
36ers

Reply #448488 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Actually, if you could say more? Maybe format a bit more at least.

Reply #448489 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Pfft. Yes I realise Luke has played NBA.. clearly your not reading between the lines of what I am saying so maybe I need to spoon feed it to you?

I am looking for an EXCITING HIGH LEVEL PLAYER on lukes money... a James Ennis/Sam Young equivalent. Seeing as you know everything about the World of Basketball.. why dont you name some names?.... I doubt even Paul could. I am not in the business of naming names.. coaches and player scouts are meant to be. The players are out there... thats indisputable... for every guy that makes the NBA, there are atleast a hundred that are near misses and probably 10 that drop out. I apologise that I don't know them all personally and have them on speed dial. This is for coaches to do, not me... We have got GOOD EXCITING NBA talent on the kind of money Luke makes... and whether or not it is able to happen.. it SHOULD be a priority next year, failing that... the one after.

Still find all this Luke Schensher defense/love really unusual.. the guy was utterly woeful all of last season.. and has been upgraded to servicable back up role player this year.. and people think its justified to pay him top dollar for his 10 minutes a game because he was once a pon a time basically a water boy for an NBA team and is 7 foot? ... He probably has similar credentials to players we would look at recruiting but I bet there game would have more impact and entertainment value. End rant.

Reply #448496 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754