Anonymous
Years ago

Anthony Drmic v Kentucky and Julius Randle

Without giving away scores and stats, just saw the box score and it looks to me that Drmic is having a great game against a projected top 5 pick and a powerhouse in Kentucky.

Anyone watching this game??

Drmic a shot for next WC/Olympics? i dont remember seeing him play is he similar to his brother in his prime? Frank was a great player on his day.

Topic #33327 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

There are some good highlight vids of him on youtube. Is he a shot at the WC's? I would like to think so... he has the talent to do it, just depends how big a camp Lemanis holds before and whether hes willing to add new elements to what hes doing. I would like to see him and goulding make it, as 2 guys who can create there own shot.

Reply #449340 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

shot 7-22 FG's, in 15 point loss...

WC/Olympic player that does not make!

Reply #449363 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I watched that game he was great early on and got tired as the game went on. The commentary team also made references to him looking tired.

Reply #449365 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I saw this game as well and thought that he did well, but his team was lacking the big presence inside needed to give him more good looks and the Kentucky freshmen are a very talented group, just too good and too big for the Broncos in this one!

Reply #449380 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I think he has potential but needs another year to continue to develop his game and become more consistent, hopefully his final year/senior at Boise state will do that. Don't see him in the Boomers team yet though.

I have trouble watching college basketball, it looks so out-of-control most of the time

Reply #449386 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He will need to improve to make 2014 boomers team, he faces competition from the likes of Newley, Broekhoff and Goulding. Unlikely to play NBL imo if he doesn't make the nba he will end up in Europe

Reply #449401 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

On a slightly related note....why did Anthony Drmic retire in his prime...?

Reply #449430 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

*frank

Reply #449431 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Was wondering the same thing myself. Frank was a great player early on making the 1998 WC's at only 20 went overseas for a while before joining the South Dragons but whether it was injury or form he just wasn't the same when he came back to NBL

Reply #449435 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anthony was great in the first have but did apear to tire in the second. Perhaps lingering effects of his illness?

Nonetheless he is a fantastic prospect who could be on the fringe of making the NBA after a big year this year followed by an even better senior year.

Reply #449441 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I just think Frank Drmic ran out of options and decided to retire after been cut by the Dragons. I think Drmic was a little overrated- I remember they were calling him the next Andrew Gaze at 19. To be fair Drmic played down the comparison.

He improved early in his career under Goorgian after a little fan fare. It should also be noted that while he made the under 22 Gold Medal Australian team, he struggled terribly starting at the point guard paired with Sam Mackinnon starting at the guards. The team only started firing later in the tournament when they moved Sam Mackinnon to small forward and started Brendan Mann and Aaron Trahair at the one and two spots respectively- while Drmic was sent to the bench.

He never seemed to improve when he spent a long stint in Europe unlike David Andersen. I know he was cut from a couple teams that probably hurt his confidence. And he returned to the NBL became overweight at the Dragons and retired at the age of 31. Suggesting Drmic retired at his peak is laughable. From I have read on the boards he had the talent but never had the work ethic to be the player some predicted. While Chris Anstey, Sam Mackinnon and Jason Smith went from strength to strength after their tenure with the South East Melbourne Magic. Frank Drmic never really fulfilled his potential and always remains one of the great big what if's..........

Reply #449454 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Not sure how Frank is relevant to the conversation really, 2 different people with 2 different games and most likely 2 different outcomes lets not in any way judge Anthony by what Frank did or didn't do.

I know thats not what people are doing, but throw the names around long enough and people might start.

Anthony has got a very bright future in the game,, and hope to see him at next Boomers camp at very least.. and the guy should be strongly considered come 2016

Reply #449457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David, Frank had the work ethic. Coaches used to ride him really hard and make him work his butt off before and after our training sessions at Dandenong. He simply lacked the natural athleticism and quickness to play as a guard.

I'd also like to add that I blocked the living crap out of him on many occasions playing in the domestic Dandenong comp. He had a very slow release on his jump shot.

Reply #450143 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I never said Drmic never had a work ethic early in his career. But whether he sustained it through out his career is another question. I will agree with you about him being a bit of tweener though. But he had the size to play small forward. Probably never had quickness to play guard but then again that was more of only a part time position later in his career.

Reply #450177 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754