skip
Years ago

Wright and Ennis charged by NBL, will face Judiciary.

The NBL has completed its investigation Friday night's on-court altercation between players and coaching staff from the Perth Wildcats and Adelaide 36ers.

Two charges have subsequently been issued and referred to an independent judiciary.

Adelaide coach Joey Wright has been charged with allegedly striking Perth Assistant Coach Adam Tatalovich.

Perth forward James Ennis has been charged with the alleged attempted striking of Adelaide’s Mitch Creek.

The charges are expected to be heard later this week.

The Perth and Adelaide clubs have also been charged with a Code of Conduct breach for their role in the melee. The NBL is yet to finalise possible penalties and/or sanctions.

Topic #33734 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Perth GM Nick Marvin has since made this statement.

"The post game melee was regrettable. The Perth Wildcats have taken steps internally to ensure that regardless of the circumstances, the Wildcats players and coaches will have certain protocols in place to avoid a repeat of this situation," he said.

“The club will abide by the procedures in place and accept the final outcome of the NBL's investigation.”

Perhaps he should look at protocols for himself as well.

Reply #457883 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He shouldn't have posted the pic but you can surely understand why he did.

Reply #457885 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

No I can't.

For someone who is also on the NBL Board, it was entirely unprofessional and inappropriate.

Reply #457887 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

In the moments after the scuffle, everyone on social media was blaming the Wildcats, even those that had no idea what happened. I think he has the right to defend his team and set the record straight.

The pic shouldn't have been posted and he left himself wide open for the criticism but his intentions were to shut people who were unfairly and incorrectly blaming his club.

Reply #457888 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

and 36ers GM Dean Parkers response via The Advertiser

"We will go through the due process and vigorously fight the charge," Sixers general manager Dean Parker said.

“We firmly believe there was an incident preceding Joey's reaction and what he has been charged with which prompted the incident to flare up the way it did.

“We will back our coach 100 per cent.”

Parker said the charge would be heard by phone hook-up later this week, the time as yet undetermined.

Reply #457891 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

I'd give Joey two games and Ennis one game as Joey connected and he went on like an idiot after the punch.

Reply #457893 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Dean Parker is doing his best to vindicate Joey via the media too, just without photographic evidence!

He's kidding himself though if he thinks his Wright's reaction can be justified by the provocation, especially when the video doesn't support Wright's initial claim.

Reply #457894 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

And also because of the lateness in the charge as Adelaide got to play a game before the charges were made unlike Perth

Reply #457895 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Can't agree with the 36ers GM there; the stated reasons for the meltdown ("the idiot assistant coach" touched him) in no way justify the degree or duration of Wright's response. To follow on from that, I can't believe that the stated provocation will hold any value in terms of his defence.

Reply #457896 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Does this mean Parker is admitting that Ervin should be punished too?

Reply #457897 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The Situation - and the picture did nothing to prove who instigated the event, which was what he was arguing.

Reply #457899 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Another reason he shouldn't have posted it. It gave people a distraction from what actually occurred.

Reply #457900 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm not sure there was a picture of Ervin instigating it though...

Reply #457901 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Skip is correct. Dean's approach was professional, courteous, diplomatic and respectful to the NBL. Nick Marvin didn't need to post that picture IMO. Posting stuff like that just interrupts the due process and adds petrol to the fire.

Nick Marvin's photo could be construed as showing Joey extending his arm to offer a handshake to the Perth Assistant Coach and the Perth Assistant Coach thrusting himself vigorously on his hand. The photo doe show Jarvis in an awkward pose confirming the possibility of "soap of the floor".

Could it be possible that the two coaches were going to shake hands when Jarvis slipped on some soap on the court floor, accidentally landing on the back of the Perth coach catching him off balance so that he fell forward onto Joey's hand and the whole thing is just one misunderstanding?

Reply #457902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classy.

Reply #457904 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yes, Jack.

That's an entirely reasonable and sensible approach that one could take to that photo.

Now all we need to do is ban soap.

Reply #457905 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Problem solved. End of season boxing match for charity: Dean V Nick and Joey V Ennis. All money to a good cause.

Reply #457906 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Actually Jervis' expression seems more likely to indicate the presence of weed in the locker than soap on the floor.

Reply #457907 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

skip,

Very unprofessional wasn't it?

Almost as unprofessional as having your head coach dance around the court losing the plot as if he was a 16 year old in a street brawl.

Reply #457908 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Both Ennis and Wright will have a bit of awkwardness to deal with, considering neither of the people they are charged with (attempted) striking have come in for any disciplinary sanctions themselves. Makes provocation more difficult to prove.

Either way, I do think Wright should get the harsher punishment; stupid testosterone-laden stuff is supposed to be the province of hyped-up players/young men and isn't somewhat understandable. From a coach, no, just no.

Squabbling ain't an old man's game. An old fool's game, it may be though.

Reply #457909 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Good for Breakers and Tigers if both get rubbed out as Breakers play Adelaide and Tigers play Perth this week.

Reply #457910 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wrights' charge was for allegedly striking.

Ennis' charge was for alleged ATTEMPTED striking.

Different charges?

Reply #457911 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I honestly had a problem with the footage of the incident.
Too many people, too many actions etc.
I did think Joey went back at/into the Cats' group even tho it all seemed to be breaking up.
But I was tickled with Nick Marvin twittering
"my assistant coach..." not OUR assistant coach.

Reply #457912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The official footage would have shown more from a greater height surely.

Reply #457913 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3VjtaQ339k

Reply #457914 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If Ennis gets rubbed out it will affect Perth more than Joey getting rubbed out for sixers. Everyone has their own theories on what happened but can't do much now except wait for NBL to hear the charges

Reply #457915 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

You would have assumed NBL would have been given access by Ten to the footage from the various cameras that would have still been rolling at the time.

Well you'd hope so anyway.

Reply #457916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Joey will be fine because

Joey_punch

Reply #457917 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Mola Ram would be proud of that.

Reply #457920 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

That was a closed fist push (he had a pen in his hand) and politely told him not to be a bitch and move on lol...

And why the hate for Ben Fitz? Dude is a top bloke...

Reply #457922 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't know him as a person. I can only judge him from how he has reacted to this incident. He's told numerous lies and distorted the truth in order to paint Perth in a bad light. I don't consider that top bloke behavior.

Reply #457924 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I would hate to get this post off topic, and I'm not having a go, but can you elaborate on the numerous lies and distorted truths he has allegedly told?

I do know Ben Fitz, and i can say he has always been the type of bloke to go out of his way to help someone and/or give advice (many times he has given me his time for a chat)...you're more than welcome to your opinion, but i just thought i would put in my 2 cents on the matter ;-)

Reply #457927 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"That was a closed fist push (he had a pen in his hand) and politely told him not to be a bitch and move on lol..."

Proceeded by running three circles around the scrum trying to get at someone, anyone, just to prove how hard he was.

Did he suffer some kind of formative trauma that causes him to be that sensitive?

P.S., do you know what the other word for a closed fist push is?

Reply #457929 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

BenFitz just wants Adelaide to sell out the Arena for the return fixture; truth is a subordinate matter.

Tbf, since the NBL seems to make things up as they go along, they probably want the sell-out just in case the leagues's punishment wheel lands on "10k fine".

Reply #457930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Situation very poor form to ridcule one individual. Pretty much every one has acted like bitches over this very minor scuffle. Maybe keep your opinion of individuals to your self because quite frankly just comes across like you have a personal issue with the individual. Just because your able to hide behind a keyboard doesnt mean you should start persoanl 'situations'.

Reply #457931 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

TBH Nathan of Perth i was being slightly facetious on that one ;-)

Reply #457932 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Man playoffs must be near, lots of posters on edge haha serenity NOWWWWWW!

Reply #457935 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

First of all, he repeatedly made claims that the fight started with Ennis, because he is a douche who can't take responsibility, or something. This was without seeing it. It wasn't pointed out that Ervin set it off yet he still didn't believe. Has not retracted that initial claim.

He then guessed it was probably Gleeson who pushed Joey.

Then he berates Nick Marvin for having a team of classless thugs and posts three links which supposedly show a precedent. One was the Andre Brown incident - no arguments from anyone Brown was in the wrong there.

Another was the melee after the Blaze Cats game a few years ago, where Harvey and Goulding fired up the Perth crowd. That's fine, Weigh was the one who pushed a player first but if that is an example of Perth doing the wrong thing, then it shows his excuses for Wright reacting to provocation to be extremely hypocritical.

For some reason, he also posted the article from when Loughton elbow Sav in a playoffs match some years ago. What he completely ignored is the game before when Wortho forearmed Redhage in the neck, because, you know, it's not thuggery unless the Wildcats do it.

Then, despite the replay clearly showing that, at worst, Tat touched Wright on the arm, he continued to say things like "he forearmed him" and "shoved him" etc.

He's also claimed that Perth is the league leader in fines etc. Funny, only one a Perth player has been fined in the past four seasons.

But the best one is where he tried to complain that Perth's coach once got ejected for hitting a ref.

So yeah, if his case against Perth is so watertight, there'd be no need to make stuff up. He did. Repeatedly. Like I said, not top bloke behavior at all, and I'd hate to think what would be happening if he still worked in an official capacity at your club. Incited another riot, maybe?

Reply #457937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't worry situation it is well known that he has sucked up to journos and bloggers and such over his time. he was always all about image and keeping the right people on side i.e. the people who get the word out. but people who had to deal with him in a business capacity know the real deal. on twitter he knows his audience and how to keep them happy.

Reply #457938 | Report this post

Ben Fitzsimons  
Years ago

This is great

Please go on

Reply #457940 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Egads!

Reply #457941 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Both Joey and Ennis should get suspended fines - nothing more.

Marvin should also be punished as it is disgracful for an NBL board member to post the pic on Twitter. Is he going to be sitting on the tribual as well?

Reply #457943 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Marvin's action will come under the Code of Conduct punishment that both clubs will be hit with.

Reply #457944 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Although Marvin's action may be considered inappropriate by some, what can he possibly be charged with. Given that the assistant coach he was defending has not been charged with anything, and Wright's post game allegations were clearly nonsense, Marvin was factually correct. How can broadcasting the truth be classified as bringing the game into disrepute?

Reply #457945 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Again. Mountains, molehills.

Reply #457947 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

But Speed, it's a disgrace, a disgrace!

Reply #457949 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I can't believe this pissy little scuffle is still being discussed and argued about. Give out some pissy little fines to all involved, no suspensions needed for this, and move the f**k on!

The reaction to this is more embarrassing to the League than the incident itself.

Reply #457951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league is in the news...any publicity....

Reply #457952 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I did get a kick out of Wildcats media using That Photo as the cover photo for their article regarding the landing of charges.

Reply #457953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speed44 hit the nail on the head.. Move the fuck on NBL

Reply #457954 | Report this post

Ben Fitzsimons  
Years ago

@The Situation ( i know your real name but will respect the sites rules)

I have pondered whether or not to reply to you. I have blocked you on twitter for your personal attacks on me yet you have found another platform to voice your thoughts on me.

Do I let is slide and not give you the satisfaction of retort or do i reply and defend myself against your comments in a public forum? Do i feel you are baiting me, well yes.

So here we go.

Almost everything I posted on twitter was agreed with by non Wildcat fans. I tweeted what I saw. I thought it was Gleeson and Joey but was wrong and apologised to Trevor.

Did Gary start it? no idea. There are other forums that have people saying they saw the whole thing that dont even mention Gary or Hire's involvement. Did Gary say something ? Probably , he is from Brooklyn, you ever met anyone from Brooklyn?

He or Hire haven't been cited so i have to rely on other people for that part of the conversation.

I said Ennis swung at Mitch and copped abuse from a number of people including yourself yet he has been reported for it.

I also believe Joey was trying to pacify the situation initially. He did shove Tatalovich but only after , as I see it,having his hand grabbed / pushed / shoved by him first. Many other people agree with me on that. Was the reaction justified at the time, maybe not, but....

You brought up the Julius thing. Sure it is an easy target and i am not hiding from it. If i had the time again i would do the exact same thing but sooner. i'll take the time to clear up many misconceptions about that night.

I know Julius, I knew exactly where he was and with whom when he didnt turn up to the Hawks game. I knew about his pay situation, I also videoed his public you tube reply for him. That is how well I know Julius.

I didnt run out on the floor. I was already out there as part of the post game. I saw him do his stomp thing and initially thought , get it out your system man. Then he went back and did it again , this time spitting on Brett's signature and grinding it with his foot. The crowd is going nuts his own players cant calm him down. Stupidly I thought I could. I told him to get off the court while he still could. Thankfully Wortho got control of him and got him out of there. Because, like Joey on Friday, he wasn't his normal self at that time. You cant judge Joey on just those 30 seconds nor do i judge Julius.

Believe me there was a number of people included a HOF waiting for him back stage. Yet we controlled the situation and the few hundred people waiting for his car to leave and got him out the building safe enough.

We all learnt a lot that night, and no one more than me. Julius also privately apologised, eventually.

Say what you like about my business acumen. I have thoughts on Rupert Murdoch so others can have them on me. I know what I achieved and those that matter do too. I will happily be judged by those results and achievements and where I was able to push and continue to push the NBL to. A few of my innovations have been adopted by the AFL so at the very least I got that right.

You think it is easy running an NBL club? Try it for a week. Try doing it when the league is in turmoil and lacking in direction and fudning. Try it when your team is bottom of the ladder. Trust me you have no idea what it takes to run an NBL club.

Nick has done and continues to do a great job in Perth. I know why he sent that tweet , its the same reason I stood up to Julius.

I have been involved as either an employee, volunteer, advisor or part owner of the Adelaide 36ers since 1987 and am proud of the club and the people involved with it.

Reply #457956 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

The question i have is did Joeys arm go all the way through and out the other side of that assistant coach? That looks very Chris Angel mindfreak type magic punch.

As for Nick Marvin "This Picture says it all" post on twitter, no I do not believe the picture say it all, it does not tell us what proceeded the arm extending into the chest, whether it was justified, whether it was playful or in jest, whether it was malicious, whether it was defensive or whether it was provoked...it seems the picture provokes more questions than answers.

Reply #457957 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ben, I don't actually give a crap about that night with Julius. My issue was that you, without knowing the full story, decided that Perth has a culture problem, told the GM that, and did so using the most spurious evidence to support your claim. Guess what, I can do that too. You can call it baiting if you want, I say it's testing your own arguments on yourself and it seems you don't seem to like it. Unlucky.

As far as the "abuse" goes, I called you out on your bullshit. Like I said, if your case against the Cats was so good, you wouldn't have the need to lie and exaggerate about what went on, numerous times. It's there for anyone to see. There are no less than six fictitious accounts from you of what happened, or what has happened in the past, some of them repeated even after you were told you were wrong. Why you chose to do that is beyond me. You weren't alone in initially criticising theWildcats but most others decided to pipe down when the evidence didn't support their claims. You didn't so that's your problem.

Reply #457961 | Report this post

Ben Fitzsimons  
Years ago

You keep repeating i lied, can you show me exactly when i lied? Lying would implicate i intended to deceive

6 fictitious events - which ones?

Perth have been involved with more post game altercations than any other NBL team. That isnt a lie , its a fact. One I am sure Nick isnt proud of and most happened before his time.

Reply #457965 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

And there ladies and gentleman is why i admire and respect Ben Fitzsimons the consummate professional.

If you wanna be successful in life and business, you should listen to people like Ben...

Situation you need to relax bro, you are always on his case, and you do to him exactly what you're accusing him of...there was no need for him to reply to your accusations but he gave you the courtesy, that speaks volumes to his character in which you seem to enjoy attacking.

As i said, you can have your opinion but maybe do your research before unleashing a tirade against anyone associated with the club, of whom you have no idea about personally.

Reply #457966 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Imagine if an AFL board member Tweeted a photo of an incident that was goingto the tribunal that could impact the case of another club.

Reply #457967 | Report this post

Ben Fitzsimons  
Years ago

oh i see from the above

Ennis has been charged for trying to hit someone ( Fact)

Gleeson was once ejected from a game for bumping a ref ( Fact)

Culture problem - well if my stud import has now been involved in 3 post game altercations then he needs a talking to. ( Fact) and only because the other 2 players involved are good guys that it didn't go any further. if there was vision of what he supposedly said to the lady in Wollongong he may have been sent home already.

I am happy to maintain the Joey shoves or pushes Tatalovich after being pushed by him first. Joey sure doesn't punch him. ( Opinion / Fact yet to be determined )

I also mentioned i thought it started between Petrie and Ennis ( incorrect but form the vision this is what i saw ) I also asked any one to help me out with the "Gary started it" part as he and Hire are nowhere near each other when the 1st scuffle is on.

I posted 3 incidents that involve post game altercations, coaches going at each other and the last suspension a player received for striking that I could recall. ( Fact that all 3 of these involve the Perth Wildcats.) if you can find others then i am all ears.

I posted these are reference points for what the NBL has done in the past with these situations. I also mention that i think Petrie would be reported.

Was going to make mention that Heal got a warning for not trying to break up the Kings Tigers stuff last season (?) so by that decision the NBL has told Head Coaches that they have a duty to try and break up a fight.

Reply #457972 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"2 Perth players shoved Joey after he tried to calm it down"

"Ennis threw two punches in the scuffle"

"Going to say right now that it was Gleeson that pushed Joey"

"Def started with Ennis and Petrie"

"Perth have a long list of fines for aggressive acts in game and post"

"perth fans mad at Joey just remember your coach once got ejected for hitting a ref"

Yep, consummate professional.

Reply #457973 | Report this post

Ben Fitzsimons  
Years ago

Ok you win

good on you

your trophy is in the mail

Reply #457974 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Oh, so you're now backtracking from what you said earlier? Cool, just let me know when you start speaking honestly.

Reply #457975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is "the situation" Matthew Richards from twitter by any chance?

Reply #457976 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yes I am. Why?

Reply #457977 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

But Ben knows that, and Isaac knows that. Not sure why it's relevant.

Reply #457978 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Thanks for pointing out that Ben is a professional Tru Blue. Must be an Adelaide thing. Apparently Joey always conducts himself professionally as well.

Reply #457979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The silly thing is that both Ben and the situation would probably get on quite well if they had a chat over a beer as from what I've seen of both they have very similar philosophies on the game - just in this case their uncompromising support for their club is stopping them see sense.

Reply #457980 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Anon, that's fair enough, I'll leave it at that.

Reply #457981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before people start judging others probably worth considering that there may be other factors that have contributed to Joeys meltdown. He overreacted sure but what I saw was a guy just snap. Joey is passionate and a devotee of all things basketball, he would hate to be seen to bring the game into disrepute so I'd suggest there are some other factors at play behind the scenes that caused him to just lose himself for a moment and act in a way he wouldn't normally. An excuse, no, he will cop it on the chin but maybe there is more to it than we will ever know

Reply #457982 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Situation, just calm down, buddy!

"But the best one is where he tried to complain that Perth's coach once got ejected for hitting a ref."

This is you in 2010 when Gleeson did indeed get ejected. In Perth for that matter:

"Gleeson made no attempt to move out of the path of the official, who at some point, was going to turn and run down towards the other end of the court. Entirely his fault that contacted occurred"

Your anger toward Fitzsimons is clouding your judgement.

Reply #457983 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Very good, Situation! :)happy-happy:)

Reply #457984 | Report this post

The Voice  
Years ago

The Situation - 6, Ben Fitz - 0

Reply #457985 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

That isn't "hitting a ref". I know what happened then and my opinion of the Gleeson incident hasn't changed.

Reply #457986 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

But sorry everyone, including Ben. I have gone on too much about this issue and probably ruined the fun.

Reply #457987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Situation
You clearly have some kind of beef with Gleeson. He was trying to break up the fight, you goose. He and Joey are mates....there was no scuffle between them. Did you even watch the video? Weird.

Reply #457989 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Huh?

Reply #457990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah situation you have gone on way too much. Seems like your full of self importance... Losing credibility due to your seemingly personal vendetta. Way to ply it out douche

Reply #457993 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

There has been a lot of BS said on this forum lately. Completely illogical and irrational comments blinded by passion for their club. I admit i have been drawn into it also but its hard not to react when you read something that is completely untrue. But from where i sit, if its perpetuated by a part owner/employee/adviser of a club.. then that club certainly has a culture problem

Reply #458005 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

"Thanks for pointing out that Ben is a professional Tru Blue. Must be an Adelaide thing. Apparently Joey always conducts himself professionally as well."

Mate you ask any successful professional in any field, anywhere in the world...you gotta have some fight in ya, some mongrel if you will, otherwise you lack the qualities that allows you perpetuate and persevere at the top of your chosen field, whether it be professional sports or management, you cannot let people walk all over you or get the better of you...and that's why Joey reacted like he did, whilst i don't condone it, i would have done the same thing...(maybe that's the Northern Suburbs in me lol)

Reply #458008 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The only fair thing to do is to remove both teams from the playoff race for bringing the game into disrepute ;)

Reply #458011 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Ben Fitzsimmons.

"Probably , he is from Brooklyn, you ever met anyone from Brooklyn?"

Can I take it you mean being born in Brooklyn is a free ticket to abuse people?

"as I see it,having his hand grabbed / pushed / shoved by him first. Many other people agree with me on that. Was the reaction justified at the time, maybe not, but...."

But......what?

I would like to see your rationale please.

If you are going to retort please finish it.

Reply #458012 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Has Ennis been charged for an attempted layup with intent?

Reply #458013 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Too many words, not an incident worth spending *that many* on!

Reply #458017 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nathan, the soap on the court defence wouldn't hold up. We all know that the soap doesn't leave the Perth showers.

Reply #458018 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Hey Ben, you don't need to mail him the trophy, Cattalini already dropped it off!

Okay, cheap shot, cheap shot, I know.

Reply #458019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - you should charge people to read this thread - it's almost as funny as the Drumming Monkeys!

Reply #458028 | Report this post

jetset  
Years ago

Really ugly to see that on TV

Reply #458033 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I agree with Andrew Gaze's comments about the melee.

Hand out some stern warnings and fines if warranted to both clubs, then just get on with life and move on.

A sensible approach to an overblown showing match.

Reply #458036 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

That should read shoving match, not showing match.

Reply #458039 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wildcats fans still having an adrenalin rush and some vitriol I see. Calm down, relax, take it easy.

Perth has always been an 'in your face' type side, and Adelaide won't stand down like other clubs because unlike the previous three seasons, we have a reason to stand our ground. What do you get? A nice little scuffle to bring some intensity and rivalry back into the equation.

Never supported fighting, but the flip side of this is it's going to be very, very interesting next time they meet!

Reply #458042 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While on last nite's TV ,Joey was like a footballer, Paris Hilton,,,, a bullfighter in spain........

Reply #458045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hand out some stern warnings. Can you un suspend everyone else that has been handed out suspensions from previous mallee's too. Never heard anything so stupid, but A Gaze does say many stupid things often.

Reply #458047 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Perth has always been an 'in your face' type side, and Adelaide won't stand down like other clubs because unlike the previous three seasons, we have a reason to stand our ground"

Thats true, except in this case, it was Ervin who got in faces first. I hope Perth gets the same admiration for not backing down to his shit too.

Reply #458055 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If a fine is issued, may I suggest that at the next home game the Sixers girls could pass the hat around. Maybe Ben FitzBuckwit could organise the buckets

Reply #458058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all those who have claimed Joey's record is clean.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/09/1041990043627.html

http://newsstore.fairfax.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac;jsessionid=3E02C3B6D4A49703A9B557320C9F05DE?sy=afr&pb=all_ffx&dt=selectRange&dr=1month&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=10&rm=200&sp=brs&cls=22720&clsPage=1&docID=ILL101014BH64P5323G4

Reply #458062 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ringwood are a perfect case that if you're prepared to spend a little money on players you can build a strong roster, if it's in their budget it's perfectly ok. Usually it depends on how much money they make from other things at the stadium outside of Ringwood VJBL.

Reply #458063 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Opps, wrong thread, should have been in Big V topic.

Reply #458064 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So Wright has a short fuse, which is set off at the most minor incidents. Yeah, how is that provocation excuse working for you now, Joey?

Reply #458066 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers fans aren't having a go at Perth on here, it's just Perth fans getting pissed off and throwing around vitriol.

The Situation, you're trying to make a 'it goes both ways' point, but it works against you because Perth often 'does the dirty' so to speak, it's not like Ennis hasn't caused a stir before either. If you're happy for that to occur on Perth's behalf, you can't really get angry at 36ers doing the same, at least not while maintaining credibility at the same time.

Perth fans, if you want to claim a moral high ground, you should do two things:
1) Come in with clean hands (ie, not have a track record of being a dirty side)
2) Demand that Perth also cleans up its act.

The fans who have posted, have failed to fulfil both. It also needs to be recognised that it takes two to tango, this has been easily forgotten.

Hand out a few fines, Joey gets a slap on the wrist, Ennis gets a slap on the wrist, 36ers fans find the Wildcats Assistant coach and Ennis to be wankers, Perth fans find Joey and Ervin to be wankers and we proceed to have an epic next game.

That's sport.

Reply #458071 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

KET, I'm not mad at the Sixers at all. What I am doing is testing the theories and arguments that are always applied to whatever incident the Wildcats are involved in. For example, if a Wildcat niggles an opponent and that opponent gets pinged for an USF (like Ervin vs Wagstaff last season) then everyone complains that the instigator should be punished as well.

Now we have a case where a non-Wildcat instigated the entire melee and most people seem to have shut up shop about their views on instigation, instead focusing on what Ennis did.

But then of course, the Cats assistant coach is also copping the blame for instigation, which to me is just baffling and hypocritical. I'm just pointing out that people can't have it both ways.

My real view is that Ervin is a dick but didn't do anything punishable, Ennis has shown to be petulant for the best part of the last six weeks and his performance has suffered which has pissed off many Wildcats fans (me included), and while I appreciate Wright's "passion", his reaction was way over the top and he took whatever he felt was disrespect to an extreme level which he simply can't blame on provocation.

Reply #458073 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

^Yep, that captures my view too.

Reply #458074 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If we're blaming both the instigator and follow up aggressor, then why is it baffling for the Cats assistant to cop blame for the role as an instigator? It seems that Ervin instigated a war of words with Hire, Ennis/Creek become aggressors of sorts while the Cats assistant becomes an instigator with Joey, who becomes the aggressor in response.

There doesn't seem to be any actual punches thrown or any real strikes, just a lost of pushing and passive aggressiveness, which went both ways, including Joey being pushed and Joey pushing.

Fines are definitely something that should be handed down on both sides, to both instigators and aggressors, but anything beyond that is ridiculous.

If the NBL's history is anything to go by, 36ers could get screwed similarly to when Cat got suspended in the Giants v 36ers game. If Melbourne or Sydney get into this kind of fight, you'd be sure neither would get suspensions.

Reply #458075 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Its baffling that no one is blaming Ervin as an instigator yet Tat is being blamed for his role. I don't get it. Sixers fans or staff, or people that strongly dislike the Wildcats, can't have it both ways.

For the most part, when it became apparent that Ervin kicked the whole thing off, most people who were quick to blame the Wildcats quickly went silent.

Ervin can't be punished for instigating anything, neither can Tat, unless it falls under the Code of Conduct overarching penalty which will be given to both clubs.

Reply #458079 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

This is still going?????????

Reply #458080 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is denying Ervin was an instigator of a war of words with Hire

Reply #458081 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If Hire had mouthed of at Ervin, and the melee ensued, people would be calling for Hire's head for starting the entire thing.

Reply #458082 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Why is this still up in the air?

Pretty sure the 36ers & Cats would like to know for certain some time > 2 hours prior to their next games whether they will have their coach & MVP respectively available.
Is 2 minutes of footage really this hard to review?

Reply #458090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this occured in AFL both would get weeks and both clubs huge $$$$ fines for the melee...show some balls NBL.

Reply #458091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This sort of thing happens in AFL all the time. Chill out people.

Reply #458094 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I don't get why people are talking about Ervin? The video clearly shows the melee starting before he pushed Hire. If you're going to punish Ervin, you're only going to punish him for fighting. In that case, pretty much every player on the court should be dealt the same or worse.

Reply #458097 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

People are talking about Ervin because it is his lecturing of Hire that preceded the melee (while the TV cameras were filming the crowd).

Reply #458099 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The melee started because of Ervin getting in Hire's face. Perth players took exception to his attempt to give Hire a "hands-on" lesson in respect.

Reply #458100 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

I guess trash talking is out of the question now. If this is the reaction to talkin a little smack then god help the Wildcats.

Reply #458101 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No one saying that talking is out of the question so I'm not sure what you are on about.

Reply #458107 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Ah thanks for that, Silencer83.

Well unless there's no evidence to show Ervin being malicious toward Hire before the melee, then there's nothing the tribunal can really do. If you were to hazard a guess, you'd have to say Ervin went about it the wrong way though judging on the reactions of the Perth players.

Reply #458109 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

*Unless there IS evidence...

Reply #458111 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Statsheet - I think the other thing that made it worse was that Ervin took a shot in the last second of the last game when Adelaide was up by 5. So him going off at Hire was a tad hypocritical. Gleeson mentioned this straight after the game so obviously the Wildcats remembered it. Personally, I don't see what the big deal about playing to the final buzzer is. Adelaide were trying to steal the ball so why shouldn't Hire take the shot? Perhaps someone could clarify the protocol?

Reply #458113 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think anyone with an ounce of common sense agrees that it is disrespectful, particularly not under the circumstances on Friday night.

Reply #458114 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha good one, Gaz. Well yeah, not taking sides but hypocrisy doesn't warrant a fine/suspension so it goes back to whether there's actual evidence Ervin did something untoward.

Regarding protocol, I've seen many games that get dribbled out and I've seen a fair few where the last shot is taken by the winning team. So I'd say there's no protocol. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking the last shot -- every team plays each other four times, so it's quite likely teams' series' will come down to the tiebreaker.

Even in the NBA where there is expressed protocol between players, if you are playing defense on the ballhandler, they have the right to take a shot because playing D in such a scenario is disrespectful. It can't go both ways -- the defense can't cry foul when they, themsleves, are disrespecting the winner by playing tough D.

Reply #458115 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think even if Ervin did get in Hire's face and angrily remonstrated, it still isn't punishable under anything other than the Code of Conduct charge, and he isn't responsible for the ensuing melee, or any players deciding to throw punches.

Reply #458116 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Play the game siren to siren it's that simple. I have no problem with Hire taking that shot or indeed any sixers player doing the same thing. The apparent war of words would be hypocritical in Ervin's case as he did the same thing.

Reply #458117 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

So, in summary;

Wildcats and The Situation - bad.
Sixers and Ben Fitz - good.
Scuffle - minor.

Reply #458121 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Agreed :-)

Reply #458122 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

My summary slightly different
Bad- Joey Wright and James Ennis
Good- Damian Martin and Bj Anthony

Reply #458123 | Report this post

Dione 28  
Years ago

Let's just move on yeah?

How about focussing on the Sunday game - and beating the Tigers who had 2 weeks off.

Ervin played a very smart game. He only took 12 shots for his 25 points. I was expecting him to take A LOT more in the second half after his brilliant first half.

Perhaps he is learning and developing his game still. It was great to see though. I can't remember him taking a single bad shot?

Schenscher played well for his 10 minutes. Looked dangerous. Was being used a lot better by the team.

The team looked more confident. Taking the shots. Making the 3 ball. We have a very talented team - most of which, can nail the 3 ball.

Gibson was fantastic. Johnson was great.

Creek was alright. I wonder how he is feeling after not getting a starting 5 gig? His stats over the weekend weren't fantastic. Still did some amazing things.

I think we'd like to have 2nd spot locked up after the next 3 home games.

One negative - Teys starting. WHY? he started against Perth and played the first 7 minutes. His total game time was 13 minutes. When does a starting player only play 13 minutes? (unless being injured or fouled out). Seems VERY strange.

Reply #458126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does the official camera show? Do they still even do that? Surely it should have caught everything.

Reply #458127 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Actually, Dione, this is really the thread for this discussion, it's not a game thread, it's specific to the incident at hand, so please don't go off topic ;)

Will be interesting to see if there was a wide shot on the whole court as is sometimes the case and if the NBL can use that in any way.

Reply #458132 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Let's just move on yeah?

How about focussing on the Sunday game - and beating the Tigers who had 2 weeks off."
There's an entirely different thread for that.

Reply #458133 | Report this post

Dione 28  
Years ago

you guys are hopeless. why keep banging on about useless crap? he did this, he did that, he did this first, he did that first.

what's done is done.

Reply #458134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, you are hopeless.

This is the exact place for such discussion.

If you're not interested in this topic then do everyone a favour and piss off to one you are interested in! Duhhh.

Reply #458135 | Report this post

Dione 28  
Years ago

you're cool. wish I was more like you...

Reply #458137 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yeah guy, whats dione is dione.

Reply #458138 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It'd be nice to know how the judiciary makes its decisions, be it civil or criminal -- probable cause or reasonable doubt, or something else.

In general, it'd be nice to know more about the judiciary. The league's site has nothing at all.

Reply #458140 | Report this post

Situation why keep on banging on about crap?
This team played that team, this player is good, these rules are silly. Stop talking about basketball and move on.

Reply #458142 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Is The Situation alive? hasnt posted anything for 5 minutes. Should we call the cops?

Reply #458143 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

He's watching The Bold and the Beautiful

Reply #458145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

B&B is on in Perth yet.

Reply #458146 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Its ok, I'm here. I just had to pretend to do some work for 10 minutes.

Reply #458147 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Just going to point out for an anon up there, if this happened in the AFL, there'd be a $1,200 fine for engaging in a melee and no weeks, and you'd get to cut the fine to $900 by admitting guilt.

They wouldn't be rubbing players out. As for coaches, I dunno, there was an example of a coach melee in the SANFL but I don't know how it was sanctioned.

Reply #458151 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think I've ever heard an AFL player try and excuse his behaviour by saying "thats what happens when you push me, don't ever push me" either.

Reply #458152 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I don't know who was mainly at fault or who should get punished but as a Sixers supporter i am disappointed in Wrights actions no matter how provoked as privately he is .
And think Ervins tirade at Hire for taking shot is juvenile at the best .
But glad to see team got their act together against Tigers.

Reply #458153 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I don't think I've ever heard an AFL player try and excuse his behaviour by saying "thats what happens when you push me, don't ever push me" either."
Or use the post-game press conference to make threats.

Even if you don't suspend him for punching Tatalovich (WTF is this "closed-fisted push" everyone is going on about?), which you really ought to do anyway, that in combination with his post-game comments makes suspension a no-brainer.

Reply #458155 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

"Not backing down would do it all again." " Remains defiant" On ch7 and ch9 news who were at training with the 36ers "who will wear a special singlet from 1998 here on sunday."

Reply #458170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is a wanker!!

Reply #458172 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems he will answer not guilty to the charge on Friday

Reply #458175 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ennis has had his charge dismissed by the league.

Reply #458191 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is going to be awkward, assuming Joey is found guilty

Reply #458192 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Where is it reported that Ennis's charge has been dropped?

Reply #458193 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL's official facebook page

Reply #458194 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Thats rubbish how Ennis got no charge clearly tried to punch and I haven't been hating on him all year!

Reply #458197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/1mu70gig2s87b1f2n171ls69zx

Reply #458201 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oh good, that's a relief.

Reply #458203 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

That's appalling. Ennis needs a reality check. Apparently, so does the NBL. Seriously surprised that more players weren't charged on this, and really don't understand why Ennis, who is clearly shown in the footage trying to take swings has charges against him dropped.

Reply #458365 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Tatalovich has now been charged with misconduct and bringing the game in to disrepute.

Reply #458367 | Report this post

Barry Thompson  
Years ago

Excellent. Shame that didn't happen from the outset however.

Reply #458371 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You'd think the same charges will now be brought against Joey and Ervin, right?

Reply #458372 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754