Wildcats80
Years ago

Ennis charges dropped

Why charge him then say insufficient evidence. Will be interesting what happens to Joey. As a cats fan, love joeys passion but I think he went a little over the top. My tip, 1 game suspended sentence for 12 month. Thoughts?

Topic #33747 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

wow. But did the NBL notice anything from that assistant coach? I know details are sketchy on him but it did look like he provoked Joey???

Reply #458212 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I agree that would be a fair result. Lets hear all the anti ennis/wildcats conspiracy theories now

Reply #458213 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Of course they had to be dropped. Look at the video carefully. Mitch Creek had a booger hanging off his nose and all he tried to do was wipe it away for Mitch. Nothing wrong with that.

Reply #458214 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence, how can they charge Joey? There's clear video of what Ennis did, whereas Joey was right at the back of the entire thing.

Reply #458218 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

If he had successfully hit Creek, do you guys think he would have gotten some kind of reward?

Reply #458221 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

The Anti-Ennis talk? so far it seems like a lot of non sensical pro-Ennis stuff! the video evidence showed a couple swings, blind freddy could see that, but my thinking is the NBL doesnt want to see it. The Showman and Marquee man of the NBL has no case to answer... No problem with that at all. The initial charges can be seen as a "dont be a naughty boy James" type moment.

I cant see how for the same reasoning behind Ennis' clearing, they can justify Wright being given any sort of ball busting. Would only smack of Double standards and favouratism.

Reply #458223 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

NBL Facebook announcement comments are filled with roiling psychosis.

Reply #458225 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"the video evidence showed a couple swings"

It does, but even calling them swings is a stretch. They were pretty non-threatening, not likely to ever connect, and not likely to do any damage or strike with any force if they had actually connected.
So this is not a surprise to me at all.

And I'd be surprised if Joey got much more than a token fine too. A suspended sentence (i.e. something just for show) might be in the mix too, but surely that would be the extent of it.

Reply #458228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree there was clearly no evidence of Ennis attempting to strike anyone just as there was no evidence of Joey going off like a two bob watch.

Play on.

Reply #458230 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Some clown has just claimed that Nick Marvin is the real GM of the league.

Reply #458231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cussy from Oz Hoops?

Reply #458233 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Koberulz must be watching another Sixer melee video, where Joey was calm and professional and Ennis swung at anything wearing blue.

Reply #458238 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Koberulz must be watching another Sixer melee video, where Joey was calm and professional and Ennis swung at anything wearing blue"
No, I'm watching the one where Ennis takes a couple of swings at Mitch Creek, then Joey does something while Tatalovich and several Wildcats players are between him and the camera.

Wright wasn't charged with re-starting the fight, or being a lunatic, he was charged with striking. Unless there's video from the other side of the court, there's significantly less evidence for that than for the attempted striking charge against Ennis. And if there is, I haven't seen it.

Reply #458239 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Of course the charges have been dropped! Marvin is an NBL board member.

Reply #458246 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Oh dear.

Reply #458254 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

We all knew Ennis would get off, rightly or wrongly. My concern was his intent...its not like he just threw 1 punch that missed in the heat of the moment and thought, hang on, thats not a good idea...instead the first 1 misses so he goes back for seconds only to miss again.

I'm not condoning what Joey did but he was provoked and unfortunately the rataliator always receives the punishment.

Based on the Ennis ruling I think Joey should get off with a warning....The Prat wasnt affected by the strike to the chest - no blood, no foul.

Reply #458258 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Why is everyone so surprised. Take the track record or the NBL over the past decade (2004-2014) and please list below who actually has been charged and then MISSED playing time through suspension. Every charge in my mind has resulted in a suspended sentence and a fine that never gets paid. Our officials don't have the confidence to call the game with conviction and be backed by the NBL hierarchy, so why would the judicial process be any different?

Reply #458266 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Crazy theories aside, I think everyone has agreed that Ennis threw at least one punch, haven't we? Even (feral) Wildcat fans have not denied that?

I'm not saying they should throw the book at Ennis by any means, but to completely dismiss the charges DOES seem rather ridiculous, even for the NBL!

Reply #458273 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It probably comes down to whatever the wording of the offence is in the NBL tribunal regs. Any time you're dealing with a tribunal/administrative punishment scenario like this, common-usage definitions of terms sometimes go out the window.

Reply #458277 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He definitely swung his arm in the melee. With the amount of people involve, and the fact that he didn't connect, how do you determine that he was attempting to strike Creek?

Reply #458280 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Take the track record or the NBL over the past decade (2004-2014) and please list below who actually has been charged and then MISSED playing time through suspension."

This is true, but they are mostly private school fights that don't really require suspensions.

Reply #458283 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

That was me being devils advocate, by the way.

Reply #458284 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

If that was an adelaide player what would u guy's have said? Joey was way out he came back for more when he could've walked he did'nt he kept going!! Plus he put is hands on a player that was not even in the mix. Ennis is a target and he is'nt mature enough to handle it yet, same time u could imagine demos and bubbles talkin shit!

Reply #458290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've got to love this playing the victim shite from Wildcats fans, Ervin talked smack he instigated it and made Ennis throw punches at Creek and Joey Joey Joey...

It's a complete disgrace by the NBL that Ennis had his charges dropped. Worried he might spit the dummy (again) walk out on the team and go back home?

Reply #458291 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"You've got to love this playing the victim shite from Wildcats fans, Ervin talked smack he instigated it and made Ennis throw punches at Creek and Joey Joey Joey..."

Who has said that?

Reply #458292 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Lol at Jake. Get over it

Reply #458295 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Didn't Marvin step down from the board last year, replaced by Michael Slepoy, boss of the Melbourne Tigers, who happens to be the team the Cats are playing this weekend and would benefit the most from having Ennis suspended?

Nice one Jake.

Reply #458296 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I stand corrected regarding the boatd. I forgot how professionl it is from the CEO posting a picture on Twitter of the incident - my error.

Reply #458302 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I don't get where people are coming from with this "its unprofessional" nonsense. It's just crap. He's a CEO of an organisation who had a potentially brewing PR issue he needed to get front-foot on. End of.

Reply #458303 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

The retarded conspiracy theories just never end do they.

Reply #458304 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Go back and watch all angles slow mo... clear shots of Ennis 2 hands grasping at Peaches arm and dragging forward… that is what is actually going on in the pack that dragged everyone in…. If that had not of continued the later event may not have happened.. Whatever it is time to let go, the Sixers will take whats coming and move forward… So should everyone else…. We've all had our say, some happy,some not… time to get back to supporting the on court talent this weekend...

Reply #458309 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Go back and watch all angles slow mo... clear shots of Ennis 2 hands grasping at Peaches arm and dragging forward… that is what is actually going on in the pack that dragged everyone in…. If that had not of continued the later event may not have happened.. Whatever it is time to let go, the Sixers will take whats coming and move forward… So should everyone else…. We've all had our say, some happy,some not… time to get back to supporting the on court talent this weekend...

Reply #458310 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Wait, so you're blaming Ennis for Wright's actions now?

Reply #458313 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"I forgot how professionl it is from the CEO posting a picture on Twitter of the incident - my error."

Meanwhile, Dean Parker was on the front foot blaming the Wildcats before he even had a clue what went on. Thats why he posted the pic.

Reply #458316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only person who should be suspended is Wright.

His behaviour was shocking, and he will be (should be?) deeply regretting it.

Reply #458317 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Jeff,

From memory:

Alex Loughton - Perth (striking Dillon Boucher - Brisbane) - 2 game suspension missed 1 against NZ and the other was suspended for 12 months. Incident was Loughton back elbowing Boucher and Boucher slipped and pulled his groin. During the hearing it was said that Boucher would be out injured for 6-8 weeks and then he made a miraculous recovery to only miss 1 week.

Bakari Hendrix - South Dragons (striking Martin Cattalini - Cairns) - 2 game suspension missed 1 and the other was suspended for 12 months. Incident was Cattalini getting in his face after a rebound and he hit Cattalini in the face with his elbow leaving a red mark.

Mark Worthington - Sydney (striking Shawn Redhage - Perth) - 2 game suspension missed 1 against Perth in the SF and the other was suspended for 12 months. The incident... do we really have to go back over that ground?

Reply #458324 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I wonder how the NBL would treat someone taking a couple of swings at James Ennis? I'd expect they should be able to get away with it after this.

For better or worse the decision has been made. Time to get on with life.

Reply #458326 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Is anyone curious as to what was said to Joey to fire him up?

Reply #458327 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

What is ridiculous is that it was thrown out for lack of evidence; should have either been thrown out for lack of force to constitute an offense or let it stand.

Reply #458328 | Report this post

Barry Thompson  
Years ago

Bati aid "But Wright saw red when Tatalovich pushed him and allegedly suggested the Sixers' coach fornicate elsewhere."

Reply #458329 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

He definitely swung his arm in the melee. With the amount of people involve, and the fact that he didn't connect, how do you determine that he was attempting to strike Creek?

Well, it was swung/jabbed between Peach and Creek from what I could see... Peach was engaged with someone to Ennis' left if I recall correctly and Creek was the only other one really in the mix at that time? I'd put him not connecting to a combination of him not being able to throw a punch and the number of people between him and Creek?

Reply #458331 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

The best shot I could find of Ennis with his arm extended was at 27 seconds on the video and you can see an arm coming the opposite way clobbering Damo in the side of the head. Petrie is the only player visible but you can see Creek to his left a few seconds later so it was reasonable to assume that he was the player that the shot was aimed at. By 28-29 seconds Ennis hand has connected with Damo's head and he has grabbed both Ennis' wrists.

Poor Damo :(

Reply #458333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis should be charged for striking Martin then?

Reply #458334 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"What is ridiculous is that it was thrown out for lack of evidence"

Where has it been said that is the reason why the charge was dismissed?

Reply #458335 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

In the Hoops Diary vid that was posted early on, it's at something like 18secs in and pretty clear...

What is ridiculous is that it was thrown out for lack of evidence; should have either been thrown out for lack of force to constitute an offense or let it stand.

This is the only problem I have with the situation... Not calling to suspend him (he IS on all of my OzHos, Hoops and NBL DT fantasy teams after all!) but completely dismissing the charge just smacks of crapness...

Reply #458336 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ennis charges dropped. Now for Joey who imo doesn't deserve more than a fine and a suspended sentence.

Reply #458337 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Apologies The Situation, I was just repeating what had been bandyed about. Should have known better than to repeat without checking the official story.

Anon, yes :twisted: :)

At least internally disciplined for touching The Damo ;)

Reply #458351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop asking what provoked joey wright.

he clearly said that wildcats assistant coach provoked him by pushing him, it wasn't what another player said or did.

Reply #458394 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I wonder what NBA coaches are going to think... they place a lot of emphasis on character.. this is going to pop up pretty quick when googling Ennis

Reply #458400 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"I wonder what NBA coaches are going to think... they place a lot of emphasis on character"

Have you seen some of the jackasses running around that league?

Reply #458411 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

video evidence cant be relied on. the link goes down all the time when you have a subscription. 2 camera don't pick up squat. the perth clown gets a fine cos this aint the first time. the coaches cop a warning. enough is enough. the next game wont be so friendly both on or off the court.

judas copped shit when he stomped on the brett maher name. this clown thinks he is the bees knees, try the NBA (not in D-League) hero

Reply #458412 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Do you actually read what you write? Did any of that sound good in your head? If so, must be a pretty weird place in there...

Reply #458413 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ennis for MVP?

Reply #458414 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Am I the only one that relates Ennis' name to the cop from the Dukes of Hazard?

Continue.

Reply #458455 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754