NBL Fan
Years ago

Townsville Fire to post a profit

I was reading on the Townsville Bulletin website that the Fire will post a small profit this year. Good signs for a team that almost went under.

Topic #33755 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/wnbl-home-final-to-help-the-townsville-fire-run-at-a-small-profit-this-year-with-bump-in-crowd-figures-to-help-club/story-fnjfzr2z-1226831241646

Reply #458358 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Someone should tell the Crocs...

Reply #458362 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Their overheads would be far lower, so you cant compare a WNBL team with an NBL team. A completely different set of finances to deal with.

Crocs however should (if they're not already) be aiming to move to the RSL venue where they can consolidate for a few years and build their brand up again without bleeding during these tough times. Then once they are up and about again, move back to the TEC.

Reply #458370 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

great to see a good news story about bball finances for a change

Reply #458399 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I've now emailed the Fire my address. Hopefully they post it to me.

Reply #458403 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Rsl venue is not a tenable situation for the crocs, barring a renovation of an already brand new stadium. The layout isnt suitable. Stands are way too far away from the court.

Reply #458438 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It hasnt stopped the Fire from getting 1500-plus.

Reply #458441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything is not all roses 'off the court' for the Fire. As a playing group that are quite fragmented & certain cliques have developed. There will be a massive turnover of players once this season is finished. A lot players that have been at the Fire for longer than a season have been disappointed about how much things have changed offensively this year with the arrival of 'new players' who need the ball constantly on offense. Hopefully they can hold it all together to make a good run in the Finals!

Reply #458463 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

The potential move to the RSL venue might not be ideal, but if it means saving the Crocs from folding... And im certain the NBL would rather that and put up with attendances of 2,000 than to have one less team next season, especially when expanding the league is the number one objective at the moment.

Reply #458468 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

From the sounds of it, distant stands or not, they have to escape TEC and their blood-sucking venue management, or they'll simply not survive.

Reply #458470 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's not like the Melbourne Tigers who play in a small venue, but a small venue that is perfectly suited for an NBL game...

...it's hard to explain unless you've been there.

You can't have an NBL game there IMO.

Just a really poorly designed stadium.

Reply #458489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree Mick, I've been there. An NBL can be played in there no problems. It would be great atmosphere IMO.

Reply #458490 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

this will give you an idea:

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/photos/townsville_stadium1.jpg

Hard to get crowd involved when there is no one under each basket and the front row is 5 metres from the sideline.

If they could do some low cost modification to the stands to enable them to get closer to the court and turf those stupid tables i would say go for it, especially if the situation at the TECC doesn't improve (crowds wise / or subsidised rent). You could go a step further and squeeze some extra seats into the back row.

You'd also get a tonne of people who wouldn't renew their season tickets after such a move, barring significant ticket price reductions (ie. by more than half).

Reply #458493 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I have spoken to Fire players who think the atmosphere there is very good. I think it's worth doing if it significantly helps the bottom line, even if it simply achieves a better deal at TEC for later years.

Reply #458495 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

If your choice is between good atmosphere but the prompt exsanguination of your club, and a lacklustre atmosphere but a sustainable future for the club, well...

Reply #458499 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Ive heard that the TEC have been absolutely ruthless to the Crocs with rent, which is very poor form for a venue where a club has been loyal there for over 20 years. I realise the alternatives are not great, but if its only for a few seasons while the Crocs can save up some cash, become more viable, then they can go back to the TEC when demand is higher again, due to constant sell outs. Plus the TEC might be more flexible and welcome the Crocs back (because they will miss the rent they get from them) and offer a better deal.

Im loosely basing this scenario on a similar situation at Perth with the PEC/Challenge Stadium/PA evolvement.

Besides, right now it wouldn't hurt them to move there given the team is not really a championship contender, as they are rebuilding.

If they removed the tables from the court side, and added corporate boxes, I think it will be fine in the short term, with a view to moving back to the TEC.

Reply #458501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fire get free rent at RSL

The Crocs get charged $20000+ per night

RSL stadium does not have corporate facilities, catering facilities, cold rooms, big screen, etc... If you are asking corporates to put up big money, they deserve to be able to be catered appropriately. The stadium would need to be upgraded to hold NBL games.

The Fire can get away with these things because they know they will only get 2000 or below to a game.

I have also heard of a bit of unrest in the Fire camp but if they keep producing on the court, who cares!

Reply #458565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who runs the TEC? That is a criminal amount.

Reply #458601 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

They could have temporary seating placed where in the gap at the stadium. I think you can hire big screens? Cold rooms and aircon at TEC is on its last legs. The rent for the TEC is absolutely absurd for such an old venue. Hopefully we see the Crocs survive.

Btw I remember seeing at the beginning of the season that the TEC was going to half the rent but this never eventuated.

I do remeber seeing that the rent figure was somewhere around $24,000. I have heard more recently that one of their recent games they were charged $30,000 plus.

Reply #458636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that unrest amongst administration or coach and players?

Reply #458675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats very unusual if the teams making a finals run that there is unrest,,,where is this coming from

Reply #458693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When everything runs through 1 player (Batkovic) & that player is not known to be the greatest team mate & is more concerned about her numbers that is going to create some angst, especially amongst the playing group who were there last year & they had an equal opportunity offense where everyone got touches. The big rumour in the Ville is that Batkovic will be back playing in Adelaide next year, apparently it's almost a done deal.

Reply #458739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti will be happy to have his favourite player back.

Reply #458756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Mark wright called out the Fire in the recent message to the fans for the game this weekend?

Reply #459897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Mr Wright has called out the Fire basically only referring to Batkovic as 'good'. Well his own players that he named better show up this week as I thought all of them were well below par last week Vs Bendigo! With Mitchell especially having a 'shocker' of a game. It also appeared to me that O'Hea was a bit 'spooked' with Harrower guarding her & I thought she was far too passive in that match up. Townsville upset the Rangers last year in this same game (Preliminary Final) let's hope Townsville serve up another dose of reality & stick it up Mr (Smug) Wright!

Reply #459900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone doesnt like Mr Wright

Reply #459924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He who laughs last, laughs loudest! Pity your own words back fired on you Mr Wright! Hopefully some questions will be asked of your coaching ability & how your team has lost 2 Home Preliminary Finals in consecutive years!

Reply #460559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754