Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v Sixers Fri 28th

Adelaide (15:8) pack their inhalers and travel to the Steel City to take on the Hawks (10:13) who will still be looking to steal 4th spot from the Kings by season end. Rotnei Clarke has been playing some sensational basketball of late as he attempts to steal the MVP from the much more fancied players. Good move by Isaac by getting some smart money on him early in the season. You'll know when Clarke achieves favourite status when Carfino gets more excited over him than Stevie Weigh.

The Sixers like freeflowing transition play, whereas the Gongers style of play is to bottle it all up. If it was footy, the Hawks would be putting the sprinklers on the ground the night before. Maybe a quick roll of the floor with some sticky paint? Last time they met the trickle of 3's from the Hawks turned into a waterfall and this yielded them a large margin they were able to hold. Take out about a 5 to 10 minute period and the last game was pretty even - something I would expect to be the case in this game. Apart from Clarke, the headaches for the Sixers will be McGruber and Davidson on the boards (what hairstyle will he have this week) as well as the exquisite Forman who provides the Captain’s knock when it is required.

The Red Fox knows all the weaknesses of the Sixers and has a game plan to suit. I’m expecting a plan to bring the Sixers talls down like the Southern Copper smokestack.

While a Sixers win would be as satisfying as a cold beer after a shift on the blast furnace floor, the Gongers stand tall on their home court and with more to play for than the Sixers I get the feeling that the capacity home crowd might be in for a treat as the Hawks keep their faint finals hopes alive for another week.

Topic #33826 | Report this topic

fstos  
Years ago

Expect to see a lot of zone from the Hawks. Leaving scouted players open on the perimeter and clogging up the middle has been a big part of their recent success. Unless the likes of Ervin, Creek, Petrie can catch fire from outside I think the Hawks can get this one.
Will be interesting to see what Wright has planned to limit Clarke's scoring. That is obviously the key to a 6ers win.

Reply #459811 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Hawks have come alive in the last half of the season. In the first 14 games, the average score was 77:83, this half they are now averaging 87:82.

Looking at the individual stats, there's been a slight improve from all the plays from the 2013 games to the 2014 game in all the key areas, but emphasis on all the players. Maybe the sum of everyone's little 1%'s makes a difference.

Reply #459812 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

If 36ers want to have a chance finishing top spot it is a must win game, think gibbo and co will do enough to get the w

Reply #459818 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

I'm interested to see how the 6ers play defence on this one. Joey has already said that will be the main focus so lets see if the team can lift their D.

Last time they played Joey said defending the 3 point line will be critical. He was right, 6ers were rubbish at that and got flogged.

Reply #459831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Sixers defense will be very interesting tonight.

Joey has to achieve a lot more than talking it up.

we need to focus on

many more shots from range

many more offensive boards

Creek to have more court time with a mission

Ervin to play a big TEAM game

Sixers by a narrow margin.

Reply #460055 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

My gut feel is that Wollongong desperation at home can get it done, should be close either way.

Reply #460080 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I just don't know why Teys is getting so much court time. I mean...Frye had the ability to score and could defend. Tey's cant score anywhere near as easily and can only defend shorter players.

What the heck!!

Carter is better than Tey's, Creek is better than Teys..so why is he even seeing the court!

Reply #460166 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

In a perfect world, drunken jerk NowhereGong fans will die in a fire. A cheap one. Those guys were just assholes.

Reply #460167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should hung crap on there own Team, that's how you roll in 6ers world!!

Reply #460168 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hawks kept hitting hard hard baskets. Sixers lack one or two pure shooters. Or a Rotnei Clarke or Rhys Martin.

I was calling for Creek to be signed up for ten years only a couple of weeks ago. But that was a very bad game. Outplayed by Carter and Teys by some distance.

At least the 48% 3pt shooting by the Hawks his time was not all open shots.

Reply #460169 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

(Bill Woods kept calling Rhys Carter Rhys Martin all night. Close, but wrong)

Reply #460171 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Thankyou Wollongong :)

Reply #460173 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Great quality game and exceptional play from Martin and Clarke. Joey was on the money: they were hitting TOUGH shots!

Gotta love the plethora of baseless "Teys is shit" comments on Hoops.

Also, I heard Star Wars music in the background of the post-game analysis on Ten. Was that actually playing at The Sandpit?

Reply #460174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time we lost to Wollongong I was furious. Tonight things just didn't go Adelaide's way. The Hawks are playing with so much confidence and just hit un-guardable shots. That's what it came down to. All the credit to them.

Reply #460175 | Report this post

Ego  
Years ago

Noticed on the replay Gary Ervin jawing at Rotnei Clarke as the teams shook hands after the game. He's been taking some angry pills.

Probably a bit deflated considering he's play 1 good quarter against the Hawks in Wollongong in his 4 games in opposition colours.

That and Rotnei is hands down a better player.

Reply #460177 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It's just a make or miss game sometimes.

Teys really played like he belongs in the starting lineup, he plays tight D.

To say Clarke is better than Ervin is a pretty big call to make.

Reply #460180 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

A very entertaining game.

Clarke continues to give MVP discussions a shake, and he wasn't even the best player on his team tonight.

I thought Teys played a good game tonight and deserved his starting spot.

He had less minutes than Creek and Cadee yet scored more and at a better clip.

Creek isn't getting as much minutes as I would have expected with Frye's departure. Maybe Joey is saving Creek for the big push in the playoffs.

Overall...can't help but feel the Sixers let this one slip away, especially when they didn't have Tiggs.

Reply #460184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers now 7-7 over our last 14 games after starting the season 8-2. Were we a really good team or just an average team now?

I would argue we've been pretty much an average team all season that had a number of close and fortunate wins in the first 1/3 of the season which has inflated our win/loss record. Given the talent this is an under-achieving team.

Losing tonight to a team outside the Top 4 missing it's second best player and with their best player suffering from the flu who was a game-time decision is a joke. Being down 10 nearly all game and 15 early in the 4th is embarrassing. A very good comeback, yes but never should've been in that position in the first place.

These constant poor performances of late can't continued to be excused. When is this team going to get serious or are we just an average team despite the deep roster?

Reply #460185 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Gong deserved the win tonight. Outplayed us in all departments. We stayed within range but were just short of good enough all through.

Any team that tries to stay with Woolongong by trading baskets will lose.

Joey seems to be trying to bring Teys up to a finals standard player and I think he has made the wrong choice in not putting that work into Mitch Creek. Creek has the potential which just seems to me to be suppressed by his limited court time. He is young and keeps being brought in intermittently and cold!!! He needs to be backed and used as an important offensive player in the set plays, with continuity in his court time. He is usually subbed out just when he is getting warmed up and on the verge of losing that hesitancy. He should be encouraged to up his game aggressively and keep going. He would be better for starting with the best quality line up. If he fouls out later it wouldnt matter as we are not using him well any way. Either Creeks a dud (not) or Joeys no better than Clarke as far as developing Creek is concerned. No development coaching at all. Either back him or send him off to someone else or another sport. I personally think he is an exiting talent and we will lose him due to the lack of faith shown him through his court time and position in our side.

On a more positive note we did have a period of better shot selection in the last quarter and hit some great shots from range.

This was spoiled somewhat by ErvIn who after several brilliant and sensible shots had to make that ego play at crunch time. Turn over and goodnight. I looked at that and said thats probably the game. I think that was with about 3 mins to go but will have to watch again to check.

Joey has to keep ErvIn's ego in check. He does great things and then, bang, ego play, turnover.
If missed shots under the ring went on his turnover stats he would look very ordinary indeed.
He needs a strong coach to keep him thinking clearly. 6/16, not good enough and he denies better shooters their opportunities. He's not enough of a team player, negating his great talent.

After an outstanding start to the season we now need to adjust to the improved standard of play in those teams now pushing us to have a genuine chance of bringing home a flag.

For those who say Teys is now earning his place in the starting line up I would say Teys is playing well. He is not doing anything wrong, but he is not going to give us any thing more than being a good team link player. Not up to the standard we need to contest finals as an elite all rounder. With mediocrity we will lose. I would rather see the effort put into an x factor like Creek while we still have the chance. A very narrow window of chance at this stage of the season.

Having said all that I have been enjoying this amazing season with Joey and really hope we can keep this fantastic, never give up aggressive style of play right to the last game.

Reply #460187 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Ervin is a bitch! Can't hack it, bitches all game!! Every one saying ennis is imature? Ervin will win u and lose u games.

Reply #460189 | Report this post

sore loser  
Years ago

Ease up Loco going on about hawks fans dying in a fire, very stupid and immature thankfully not all 36er fans are like you

Reply #460191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks needed it more. Sixers aren't going to catch Perth, just need to hold second. Crocs up next.

Reply #460195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

might work out. Gong may be the ones to knock off Perth ....

Reply #460200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No team who starts Teys (or even plays him minutes) will a championship. Simple!

Reply #460213 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Sixers need a big ass banner with a pic of the team with BJ in the middle staring out on the reverse side that they can roll out behind the bench at the gong made with heavy vinyl to block out the 'mouth' and a built in boom box to blast out Hecklers ears. What a T..... , why is anyone mates with that..... Every club has some heckling, but that's ridiculous and embarrassing for the Gong. Can't be good for families nearby... I'm not going to say the obvious though.....

Still fair play to the Gong fans, loaded with amazing shooters who deserved the win last night....

Reply #460214 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Teys, Daly, Teys, Daly........ I know my pick, then no need for Carter and Frye could have stayed....

Reply #460216 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Great win by the Hawks(Illawarra) Clarke hit some massive shots in the end after being quiet most of the night and suffering from the flu kudos! Great to see Martyn back to his best. Hawks missed him when out injured last year and has taken some time to rediscover that kind of form. Will tip them to sneak into the four if sydney lose to perth this weekend.

Reply #460218 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Isnt the heckler related to Rhys Martin or is it Rhys Carter

Reply #460226 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Everyone jump on the Hawks bandwagon!

Reply #460242 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Not sure which of the hecklers you guys are whingeing about. What I can tell you is that almost every one of those that I see when I watch the games have been going to Hawks games since they were young kids and have supported the team through many poor and occasional good years. They also love the game and have played in many of the local domestic comps for a similar period. They play at a decent local level and as such they understand the game and while they do what they can to get in the heads of the opposition they also have an appreciation of most NBL players. Sure they get hyped but add colour to the game night atmosphere.

Of course for a lot of the locals in Adelaide I understand it must be difficult to be passionate at the game as it takes a lot of time and energy shooting down your own players, coaches or just dumping your team all together when they are performing poorly . On top of that they have to find time to complain about their local clubs poaching players or which coaches are shit or which players missed out on rep sides.

Reply #460249 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer. "To say Clarke is better than Ervin is a pretty big call to make".

Depends on the context. Better BB IQ. Clarke by a mile. Better shooter again a no brainer. Better handles, faster, Ervin but not by as much. Better defender probably Ervin but he also gambles a lot more and gets caught out as a result. Better team mate, locker room presence. Do I even need to answer that.

Hypothetical I know but I would suggest that the 6ers team would be far better if Ervin was replaced by Clarke.

Reply #460250 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hawks are peaking at the right time of the season. Could be a very interesting series if it went Perth-Hawks

Reply #460252 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That was a pretty good game by Ervin too. Sixers did as best they could to keep Clarke out of it.

Didn't see Rhys' wife behind the bench this game. Seemed to be a group of four guys. But then I didn't see them doing anything OTT?

On Teys/Frye, if the club wanted to maximise their run at the championship, they should've cut Frye sooner and brought in an import replacement. Not much money to spend, but an ABL scorer who could learn the system quickly would suffice.

That said, Carter had a few last night which didn't hurt.

Reply #460253 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Agree Jack hawks are playing well it could come down to season finale at Perth that determines if they make playoffs

Reply #460254 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It's a hard one isn't it.

That's the thing, success is determined so much by situation. Out of hundreds of examples I could use, I'll use the one of Brendan Teys. Was a development player for Townsville last season and was not good enough to get court time. Comes to Adelaide and starts and makes it look ss though he belongs.

Clarke definitely makes better sense than Ervin in Adelaide simply because of the shooting the Sixers need.

Stick Ervin at SG alongside a pure point and I'd say he'd do better than Clarke.

This whole arguement is obviously subjective, we will all have different opinions.

Btw Ervin's three ball has improved dramatically since the Wollongong days. Would've been good to see the damage he'd do with the ability to stretch the floor back then. I was talking to him late 2012 and he said that he always could shoot, but he had a recurring problem with his shooting hand, thumb from memory.

Rotnei is shooting 38% on the 3, but he's pretty streaky with it too. Don't think I'm taking anything away from Clarke, he's one of the more outstanding import PGs of the past decade.

Reply #460255 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Someone like Massingale, Isaac?

I do agree though; more thought should've gone into it.

Reply #460256 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I just don't see what Carter really gives this team that Cadee/Gibson already do.

36ers , IMO, got rid of a scorer (which they needed) to get a guy who doesn't really do anything well. Like what does he add to the team?

People compliment his defence...yet Clarke and Martin went off last night.

And people have no place criticising Teys after what he did last night. He did everything asked of him I feel. Was very happy with what he did.

If you want to criticise anyone, criticise Creek. When he plays well people say he deserves more mins (fair game)..but when he does absolutely nothing like last night people blame Wright for not giving him consistent mins (not fair game).

This talk of Essendon is disgusting -- not so much the content of it -- but the timing. Dude should be focussed on winning the championship.

Reply #460282 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not Massingale. Guess the risk was with the timing they took, they had limited options. Carter was a known quantity, in the country and match-fit. Had they moved earlier (and perhaps been researching earlier) there would've been more options. Maybe they looked and couldn't find anyone. Three and D would've been the ideal type.

Wouldn't rush to call Frye a scorer. At his best, he was useful, but he was rarely at his best. A three point shooting SF/SG would've been handy, like a Dorsey if he can still play at all.

Sixers put up 25 3PA last night which I imagine is exactly what Wollongong wanted them to do. Noticed they were happy to double team Schenscher at the expense of guys like Cadee and so on being open outside. Sixers didn't shoot as poorly as other nights, but it made the game on Hawk terms and paid off.

Reply #460294 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The guys behind the visitors bench aren't related to anyone that plays or works for the Hawks. They've been going to games for years!

Obviously I don't hear everything that comes out of their mouths but the things I've heard is just normal trash talking that you'd hear on any basketball court. Never heard anything out of line said.

Some of the Dragons players go to games and you should hear some of the things THEY say to the other teams haha my lord!

Reply #460296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub,

Well said. There isn't much other than volume chucking that Carter brings to the table over Gibson & Cadee. Replacing Frye with Carter was baffling.

I also agree on Creek does nothing too often for anyone to seriously label him a 'potential star' with a straight face. Handy role player but if he wants to play footy see you later we can get his production elsewhere. Creek's immaturity in the media has been glaring in recent weeks. From a rookie perhaps understandable but from a guy in his 4th season?

Reply #460304 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thing is, who else besides Creek shows a great deal of passion for the club?

Reply #460322 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think a lot of the 36ers are passionate.

Creek just tends to show it more..not every one is the type to fist pump and get all pumped after a big play.

Johnson is the only one you can single out as not displaying prototypical passion. (Could just be his demeanour but doubt it).

But Petrie, Gibbo especially, Carter, Teys, Ervin and even BJ seem like passionate dudes. By passionate they all play hard to win.

Isaac, interested to know how you define passion in your book?

My take is that a passionate player wouldnt talk about his AFL future when the current club he plays for is vying for a potential championship

Reply #460327 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Passion is tweeting 'bitches' when the sixers has a win.

Reply #460362 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

seems to me, teys got the go-ahead over creek cos teys correct me if im wrong was a player at the gold coast. also seems that its majorly important to have as many of the ex blaze team members on court at any time rather than have the guys who wanna be there.

im sorry, but so unsure how teys is part of the starting line-up. im sure there's a good reason behind it given teys never saw any game time earlier in the year, now suddenly gets a fair slice of the pav.

however, what the coach does is far better than what the coach has done in the previous 3 seasons.

Reply #460425 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, talking about a natural inclination to push the brand off-court, above and beyond the defaults expected. A lot act like guns for hire from what I see. Only having one local in the team probably hurts that.

Reply #460434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are still dreaming of there days back on the Gold Coast, and hoping they will be back their one day soon.
Cocktails and Dreams Baby!!
Remember when????

Reply #460653 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We started pretty good, unforunately the bench not as good. Carfino is confused about a lotta things, but Carter and martin in the same game fried his brain. Perhaps we shouldda fouled Clarke there with 1 minute to go. Nevertheless, illawarra too good overall

Reply #460748 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The promo shot was from 1992, the commentary from then too.

"Illawarra, Illawarra, Illawarra"

Reply #460763 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While we even guarded pretty good! and gotta lotta rebounds!! at the start, the bench not as good at it and gave up the lead.

Reply #460905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our Biggest issue is who Joey is being out coached by.
Talented players can only give you so much!!

Reply #460932 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 pm, Sun 5 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754