Anonymous
Years ago

Logan Thunder out of 2014/15

Looks like they needed more time for their plan to come to fruition.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/logan-thunder-basketball-team-out-of-201415-season-20140414-36mfi.html

Shame to see.

Topic #34253 | Report this topic

Years ago

hopefully emma may head home and suit here !

Reply #470124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BA's statement:

Basketball Australia (BA) can confirm the Logan Thunder will not be competing in the 2014/15 Women's National Basketball League season.

The committee working on the proposal for a new WNBL team in south-east Queensland, to take over the WNBL Licence of Logan Thunder, have decided to withdraw their application.

BA has worked closely with the committee over the past eight months in an attempt to reach a solution that would provide the club with an opportunity to ensure long-term viability in south-east Queensland.

As part of the criteria outlined by BA, the committee had been set clear benchmarks for financials and sponsorship to proceed with acquiring the licence. Unfortunately the committee was not able to reach these benchmarks and were forced to withdraw their application.

BA would like to thank the committee for their committed and dedicated efforts in attempting to secure the licence.

BA and Basketball Queensland provided Logan Thunder vital financial and operational management assistance prior to the commencement of the 2013/14 season after it was revealed the club was suffering significant financial hardship, to allow the team to participate in the recently completed WNBL season

It was made clear to the Logan Thunder that BA was not in a position to offer ongoing financial assistance to the club beyond the 2013/14 season.

BA will continue discussions with Basketball Queensland and interested people to ensure south-east Queensland’s absence from the WNBL is only temporary.

Reply #470167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some league stability would be great...

Along with that review that's being done...

Reply #470216 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Very, very sad to see yet another club fold. I just hope the employees of the club can all land on their feet.

Reply #470246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/firebirds-lead-the-way-for-bullets/story-fni9r20i-1226881161197

Reply #470258 | Report this post

Cherry picker  
Years ago

A sad situation! BA need to review the whole WNBL.
Have all the teams been required to prove their financial viability?
Aren't Adelaide and melbourne under financial clouds too?

Maybe shut the program for a year and get it all sorted like they did with the A league soccer.

Reply #470398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When and where's the first Logan community meeting to get our team back for 2015/16? We've saved our team once we will do it again.

Reply #470449 | Report this post

BA shameful  
Years ago

Cannot believe the statement put out by Basketball Australia claiming they were working closely with Logan. They were unseen and unheard throughout the season. They will be sorely embarrassed if those from Logan said exactly what little assistance was provided. BA needs to step up across the board and provide more than just words .

Reply #470486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cherry picker it might be a better option to shut down BA for a year until they get their ducks in order

Reply #470487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My 5 y.o daughter hasn't taken off her Thunder singlet since I told her the news :( To me that just says it all.

Reply #470566 | Report this post

Anonymouse  
Years ago

It's definitely sad news! I think shutting the league down for a year is a great idea, create the demand, make players realise it's better to be playing than not at all and hopefully the whole thing can be less about money for players and more for promotion of the league!!

Reply #471509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is the one sport in Australia the American model doesn't work with.

Reply #471617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754