Tom
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers Off-Season Preview

36ers
--------
This offseason is all about retaining and building on their core players. Out of contract for Adelaide is Petrie, Cadee, Creek, Teys and Gary Ervin and DJ is all but gone with his euro out clause. The Adelaide fan base is split on whether to keep the 31 year old point guard, Ervin. In my opinion if he gets naturalised and his ego allows him to take a pay cut and take Cadee's role off the bench but take more minutes, he would be a perfect fit for this squad. He has tweeted so many times about how he loves this playing group and the city of Adelaide so it isn't that much of a long shot as you might think. If not naturalised I think it is time to move on. Our number 1 priority is to retain Anthony Petrie and Mitch Creek. Petrie was our best player in the finals and his effort never stops and Creek is going into his 4th season and his still only 22, he will be a future superstar when we finally give him his opportunity. Next years squad could go like this:
Dunigan* / Schenscer
Petrie / Anthony
Kennedy* / Creek
Teys / Harvey
Gibson / Ervin

The imports I have selected are Mike Dunigan, who was with Perth 2 years back and DJ Kennedy who is lighting up the D-League. Mike Dunigan is a great rim protector and rebounder and finisher at the rim. His defense should make up for the offender we lose with DJ's departure. DJ Kennedy is a great 3-point shooter and his also a good passer and rebounder for a small forward, he is 6-7 with long arms but his defense is a little iffy.

Tell me your ideas for next seasons squad.

Topic #34262 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

My idea is that Ervin is not going to naturalise and come off the bench next year. I'm also hoping you haven't listed James Harvey there?

Reply #470370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the contract status for the 36ers players is:

Adam Gibson-1 year + option for another left
Daniel Johnson-1 year left
BJ Anthony-1 year left

Anthony Petrie-Option for next season
Luke Schenscher-Option for next season

Gary Ervin-F/A
Mitch Creek-F/A
Jason Cadee-F/A
Rhys Carter-F/A
Brendan Teys-F/A

Reply #470377 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ervin is too good for a bench role and doubt he will naturalize. Imo they need an import swingman. If DJ does leave should go an import big if possible.

Reply #470384 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Would try get something like this if Johnson stays

Johnson/Schenscher
Petrie/Anthony
Creek/?
Gibson/Teys
Import/Carter or Cadee (Would go whoever is cheaper of has less points.

Think that the points cap will mean that Adelaide will struggle to get a second import if DJ stays unless Creek goes as Teys and Creek will surely increase. If DJ leaves that will free up salary and points for two good imports hopefully. I wouldn't mind Ervin staying as long as it is at a reasonable price.

Reply #470387 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Luke Schenscher-Option for next season"

I'm betting $145,000 that Schenscher will take that option.

Reply #470409 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I dont mind most of Toms ideas,

I wouldnt go for Harvey and would leave Gibson and Ervin as the starting guard rotation, and unfortunatly i dont think Ervin will be naturalised for the start of next season.

Love the suggestion of DJ Kennedy, seen him play D-league and he would be an awesome import in the NBL with his length, athleticism and all round game.

Unfortunatley we can only have 2 imports, id go with Ervin and Kennedy (or similar), so cant have Dunnigan and i doubt we could afford him anyway, the 36ers have said they will be spending the same on the roster, cant afford the increase unless someone else invests/sponsors the club to pay for it, and i still reckon Dunnigan would be out of NBL price range.

Id go with something like.

Schenscer/**big to replace DJ may start ahead of Schensch
Petrie / Anthony
Kennedy/Creek
Gibson/Teys
Ervin/Carter

(If Creek, Teys or Carter leave give the spot to Tom Daly, or sign him as the 11th man if we have room in the caps)

**guys id look at to replace DJ, obviously depending on how much $$ we have available for this spot, and whether or not they would be ok with Schenshcer starting if need be are:
Bairstow, Motum, Kickert, Jervis. All have various strengths and weaknesses, my priority would be Bairstow if we are going for a starter, if a bench spot, Jervis could be affordable, wouldnt be shocked if points cap squeezes him or someone out of Perth, as surely he will increase from a 1.

Reply #470422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who signed Luke for $145k? that is appauling, one of the former SOS?

Reply #470427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Schenscher and the 36ers may renegotiate for less money but additional years?

With DJ's salary and the proposed cut from Schenschers would we have the ability to attract an import SF and maybe a Khazzouh, Neville or Ogilvy?

Alternatively, with that cash could they attract Newley/Ingles back to play SF and get an import big?

Just throwing it out there...?

Reply #470452 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Ingles girlfriend lives in Adelaide, so possible?

Reply #470457 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Isnt Ingles reported salary over $1 mil, and didnt he turn down a $500k NBA contract to stay in Europe and earn the $1 mil? If thats correct id say its highly unlikely he will be in the NBL anytime soon.

Newley is probably more likely but even then id be surprised and consider it unlikely, as id guess he would be earning well above the 36ers could offer with/without the marquee player rule.

If we are going for a Aussie, and an expensive one id rather offer the spot to Cam Bairstow, i doubt Khazzouh will be back in Australia, isnt he even playing for another national team? Neville, not sure if i would want him and Schenscher on the same roster, both are too expensive/similar and too good to simply play 10 mins per game, Ogilvy sounds likely to head back to Europe from the article i read the other day.

I would go for the best Aussie C we can get and then a import SF, as the success rate of import C's isnt very high, and if we get a import sf, of a similar level and skill set to Ennis that would likely top us off to championship level.

If we cant get say Bairstow, id be happy to offer Jervis a pay rise and some more court time (Perth surely would have a squeeze) and have him and Schenscher split the C mins, with Petrie playing C in some small ball line ups. To me thats a good enough C rotation for the NBL, which is traditionally a smaller league anyway.

I'd then try and get a top notch import sf, has to have a decent jump shot, be able to hit atleast 35% 3pt shots and 70+% FT's. Basically Frye with a jump shot would be great, in otherwords basically a Ennis style player would be perfect, and not totally unrealistic to replace say DJ and Cadee with import sf (love the DJ Kennedy suggestion) and Jervis/mid price C, or Cam Bairstow and a cheaper import sf, depending on if they can get Bairstow, if they can i say do it.

Reply #470466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom, this is the most random post I have ever read. Pie in the sky stuff.

Reply #470475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think teys will stay - Cadee off to the kings most likely outcome
Petrie would also stay as he is chasing a championship - carter would be a good fit at townsville

Reply #470490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Seth Scott as an import option? Similar skill set to DJ but with a little more grunt?

Reply #470495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm all for trusting Joey and Dean P to negotiate our players.. Although I wouldn't want anyone with attitude, even Ogilvy, but then could Joey sort that out.. i suspect yes...

Reply #470510 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

I do not feel we need an import SF, I'd be happy with Creek and Teys splitting time at the SF spot.

Here is how I would like the team to unfold, I'd cut Ervin for a more reliable scoring guard and use the 2nd import spot on a DJ replacement.

C Schenscher/Import
PF Petrie/Anthony
SF Creek/Teys
SG Gibson/Carter
PG Import/CJ Bruton

Do not know how this would work points wise. I know CJ Bruton is ancient but just like him for 5-10 mins to stretch the floor.

Could always move Gibson to PG if a better import SG guard is available, but definitely need someone who can score consistently. DJ was our only reliable consistent source of points, others could have big games but nobody else was reliable enough.

Reply #470572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My question is for everyone is, how many import Centres have we seen in the league? How good of a Centre do you think we can get within NBL salary cap?

Reply #470600 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

yea, not a huge amount of C's come into the NBL, and not a huge amount of success either as far as getting a MVP level, i think those guys are out of the NBL price range. Dunnigan was great, but i doubt anyone could afford him in the NBL.

The best ones seem to be PF/C's like a Wilkinson, or a cheaper role player like a Morrison.

Im personally not a fan of getting import C, id pretty much always go a import PG(combo guard), import SF (can be a sf/sg or a sf/pf) obviously depending on your Aussie talent. You generally get better vaule for money as there are obviously more guys out there 6'6 and under who play the guard/sf spots than big guys who are 6'10+ who could dominate the NBL, so the big guys are rarer and more expensive, supply and demand.

For the sixers id pair Schensh with the best Aussie big we can get, Cam Bairstow #1 target and keep Ervin and grab the best import sf (with a jump shot that) we can get.

If the Crocs arent able to get a Bairstow, Jervis type to pair with Vandy at C id go for a Will Hudson type import and keep Conklin in the other spot. As that seemed to be a big gap in there line up and they have good young Aussies who can fill the 1-3 spots. Pretty much every other team i wouldnt go for a import C, and would definatly go for the Bairstows, Nevilles, Jervis first.

Reply #470621 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd love to see the 36ers reach out to Diamon Simpson again as an Import upgrade.

I'd love to see him back and under Joey's style.

Reply #470640 | Report this post

State leaguer  
Years ago

my mail from those who decide is that adelaide don't want to retain ervin after the suspended sentence he received against the tigers?

Reply #470643 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

as i recall, playing against joey here, he really liked diamon simpson, and our old coach didn't.

Reply #470653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you take Simpson when you have Petrie?

Reply #470659 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

a bitta 5 with schensch.., IF dj is not here

Reply #470660 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I personally would not have Ervin back when have Gibbo and Cadee deserves more minutes.
i think although had great games was a turnover king in many games and size was a problem on defence .
Not a team player and attitude was awful on many occasions.
A quality shooting guard and strong forward to assist Schens. and Petrie with a Jervis type would be handy if lose DJ.
Not sure where Creek going in his basketball as was ordinary at season end and still to show that consistent level he promises to get to.
Carter and Teys are good options if fall in cheap category.

Reply #470669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee does not deserve more minutes. He has maybe 1 good game every 7. Replace him with Carter who is better on both ends of the floor.

Reply #470801 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Assuming DJ doesn't return, I would like to see a bit of a "meat head" centre. I know that might sound worse than it should, but a centre like Hinder at his prime. Tough and unforgiving. You stand him, you have an extra long hot shower after the game. Not a floppy guy. Take Helliwell's frame, trim 10 kg and replace with muscle, put in Damien Martin's brain, and with the shooting ability of DJ. If they can crush empty beer cans on their forehead, that's a bonus. Someone with some volleyball experience so that when a pesky guard puts up a shot, they spike it back at them. Sorry, I think I have just described Seth Scott.

To answer the Cadee question, Marty called him "a slippery sucker" and I feel if his shooting action could be worked on and improved, he would be a loss.

Reply #470805 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How much of the improvement from year to year was Joey and how much Ervin? For the latter, how easy would that be to replace?

Reply #470819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Cadee's shooting will improve, same with his defense.

Reply #470836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Australian C's & SF's will be available via FA?

Reply #470837 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

What about Lance Allred as an import big guy. He is 6-10 played with the Cavs briefly, came down here for the High Stakes Hoops and has had a bunch of bad experiences in Europe. He is legally deaf but that has not seemed to stop him, I assume he would be a good lip reader.

Reply #470874 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"The imports I have selected are Mike Dunigan"

At what stage do we start to implement a fine for mentioning Dunigan?

Reply #470876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Adelaide are serious about winning it all next year then get two great imports

Reply #470995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't have a never ending stream of dough to buy them or free run-on the points and salary cap or have cart blanche to do really whatever we want ... Money talks and with the little Adelaide had (actually under the cap and rebuilding so players sacrificing their dough to keep the team viable) buying and enticing drafted players was never possible, but hey they are Terrible according to the Perth fans, losing in game 3 GF after wooden spoon last season. I'll take that thank you very much and not embarrassed or distressed about G3. It is what it is, but it takes a season to measure how great a team is and in my eyes it needs to be put into perspective. I had a fantastic season watching the team achieve what they did with the money available.. Well satisfied….. 1 season in the Finals in 12 years and made it to 2nd taking it to G3…. Pretty damn good I would say… Sat through the hard years and still here, tough as nails and hardened to the digs from other team supporters. The club is making sacrifices rather than going under and I am so happy these players have a vision to take the cuts to reboot our club and on so many Aussie grown players.. Can't thank them enough and will have their back for years to come. GO SIXERS...

Reply #471003 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754