Anonymous
Years ago

Goodbye Gary Ervin?

The Import - Gary Ervin (free agent): Brought in as the "closer", he fulfilled that role along the route, most importantly down the stretch of Game Two in the grand final series with Perth.

But he pulled a disappearing act in Games One and Three, and was suspended for the deciding match of the semi final series with Melbourne after a heinous attempt to knee Chris Goulding in the crown jewels - not a good look for the club.

Expect a new face in this role.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/keep-the-core-and-score-a-marquee-player-thats-the-scenario-for-adelaide-36ers-to-make-up-ground-on-nbl-champion-perth/story-fne5rn2j-1226889507274

Topic #34290 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, the fact that he didn't perform when it mattered would be concerning.

Reply #471021 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Not sure why everyone is pinpointing Brad Newley as the marquee player, I know how ridiculously potent he was when he was first in the NBL.. averaging 30 points or near enough.. yet is he still that player now or has europe completely re-moulded him into a role player now? Can he be THE MAN again?

Have to agree however.. I think Gary has had his time in Adelaide. With the Marquee rule, NBA summer league links etc.. I would keep my options open on imports for a while. Gary was good but I think we can get better now.

Reply #471023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very sad that a former League MVP got to this point and he is openly ashamed which I respect his character for being man enough to admit it. Others are not so man enough to admit they break the rules and incidently cheat in doing so every game but that is on the refs, Mal and the coaches for allowing it. Shame on NBL. However, having said that it has been an emotional season with the issues of condoning particular players to push more than just Gary to their limits and the sixers need to move forward. Gary obviously loved Adelaide and this team and that is what evoked such emotion from him and this team who pushed way above what anyone expected and got a little battered and fought back sometimes pushing it too far, but they were pushed none the less.. They have been a family displaying all the emotions that come with that. A joy to watch. A season to remember. If Gary goes then it would be a business decision and done with love and respect. He will still be family and SA would have no ill feelings towards him and those who know him or a Sixers fan would gladly shake his hand and buy him a drink if they came across him in the street.. Gary is forgiven, end of story....Best of everything to him and his girl if he is moving on. I will miss him on court and follow his career with fondness.... RESPECT....

Reply #471026 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

All this is fine, but one thing to remember is that you know what you will get from Gary already and you run the risk getting another import. If he is cheap enough, I think he should stay for sure. You get a second import and a marquee player! This works and he is already part of the core!

Reply #471027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the above unless you find a superstar replacement I would be sticking with Irving but enforcing certain rules and demands of him to avoid those blood rush moments.

Reply #471029 | Report this post

Duffman  
Years ago

Stick by Gary. He is the best import we have had since Willy Farley. I forgive him for the brain fade against Goulding. Game 2 of the Grand Final he was huge, icing the game with those clutch free throws.

He deserves another season to try and go one better, the grass isn't always greener, I would keep him and with the dollars saved from DJ's departure, go for a angry 4 man Import in the mould of a Mika Vukona - a selfless player who loves to get amongst it down and dirty earning the 36ers the 1%'s and second chance points that we lacked this year.

Reply #471032 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"go for a angry 4 man Import in the mould of a Mika Vukona - a selfless player who loves to get amongst it down and dirty earning the 36ers the 1%'s and second chance points that we lacked this year."

doesn't Petrie already fill this role?

Reply #471040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not sure why everyone is pinpointing Brad Newley as the marquee player, I know how ridiculously potent he was when he was first in the NBL.. averaging 30 points or near enough"

22 points per game was the highest he ever averaged in the NBL.

Reply #471041 | Report this post

Duffman  
Years ago

No Mystro, Petrie is more of a scorer. I'm not sure of Petries stats regarding rebounds but I know 2nd chance points hurt us at both ends of the floor this season.

The import I'm after is someone who plays like Vukona or even a Wagstaff. No play is ever run for them but they don't mind. Their gonna get theirs off of intense hustle and the occasional open look.

It's the Hustle I'm after, no disrespect to Peatrie, he is still a required player at the Sixers for many years to come. Maybe the Sixers could give Diamon Simpson a call this off season.

IMO this is the only hole Adelaide needs to fill to go one step further next year and take the big one.

Reply #471046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you sign Mika himself Petrie is pretty much as close as you can get. It was a decent effort this year so why not replace DJ with someone similar to DJ, I know you wont get as good as DJ but another centre would be best, Big Red cant hold down the position all year.

Reply #471048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brock Motum would be the perfect replacement for DJ (probably a better player already) but would he even consider playing in the NBL?

Reply #471052 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its too early to say whether Gary stays or goes. He's a very good player and his confidence, speed, ball-handling and closing ability helped the 36ers a lot this season.

I don't think he did a lot wrong, Perth just had exceptional imports who helped contain Gary's ability to score at the rim. Perth won't necessarily be able to retain such high quality imports next season.

I'd be happy to see him back, it just depends on other factors like whether DJ resigns, how much money is available, how much Gary wants and what other imports are available.

As a South Aussie I would love to see Newley back as well, but not for marquee money. It doesn't sound like the club is in a financially sound enough place to take that kind of risk. If he were to take import-level money and we keep DJ, it could work out nicely, with him essentially slotting into the Jarrid Frye role.

Duffman, I agree that we could use a bit more toughness around the basket, but I think you're wrong to see Petrie as more of a scorer than a hustle guy. If we keep DJ, then really we need to see more mongrel from BJ Anthony off the bench. If DJ goes, then yes a big man with some toughness would be valuable. Cam Bairstow would be the perfect guy if the Sixers could somehow sign him. Not sure if he is even looking at the NBL at this stage though.

Reply #471053 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I don't understand at all why it would be our decision for not having Ervin next season.
You only have to look at our import list from the last like 7 years to see what having the wrong import can do to our team.
Ervin has bailed us out of at least 6 games this season. He's the only guy who we can look to at the end of a game to step up and win it for us. It's been the single biggest issue our team has had since Ninnis took over as coach, and he fixed that issue.
The Sixers have struck out on basically every single import since Hodge (who we eventually struck out on too). It's just a string of underperforming names and we've sat comfortably in the bottom part of the ladder (normally the very bottom) that whole time. We get Ervin, we make the Grand Final. Diamon Simpson was ok, Gilchrist had his moments, otherwise it's just been a list of barely serviceable players. Some being much worse than barely serviceable.
If we're judging on 2 games (and completely ignoring the 17 points in 15 minutes to start game 2 and the free throws to close it out), then why don't we just completely blow up our roster. None of our players played well in game 3, except Petrie.
We're already losing our most potent offensive player in Johnson. Just look at how stagnant our offense gets when neither of those 2 guys are on the floor. Gibson is a star, but he doesn't have the penetrating ability of Ervin. Cadee and Carter aren't even close.
Are we going to back in our management to find a better player? When they've consistently gotten it wrong every single time for years (Ervin was already a known quantity)? Newley is a nice thought, but that's all he is. He'll finish his career with us at some point maybe, but he's not going to take a major pay cut to play here when he's still 29 years old.
Can't support this move at all. Ervin has made his share of mistakes, but he's been huge for us this season.

Reply #471057 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

The suspended sentence would make them hesitate to bring Ervin back too?

Reply #471059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hendo8888 makes a good case for re-signing Ervin.

36ers imports over the past 5 years:

2009/10: John Gilchrist, Cortez Groves

2010/11: Craig Winder, Troy DeVries, Eddie Shannon, Ron Howard

2011/12: John Williamson, Chris Warren, Diamon Simpson

2012/13: CJ Massingale, Scott Christopherson

2013/14: Gary Ervin, Jarrid Frye

Not a great strike-rate.

Perhaps coincidentally:

2009/10: Wooden spoon
2010/11: 2nd to bottom
2011/12: Wooden spoon
2012/13: Wooden spoon
2013/14: Grand Final

Reply #471061 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There is a good case to have a bit of stability with imports as well

Reply #471062 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Am I the only one who would prefer a Johnny Flynn/James Ennis type marquee player instead of a Australian?

Reply #471065 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Great post Hendo8888, and I completely agree. And with all those idiots trashing Ervin throughout the season on here, would the 6rs even have made the postseason without those wins Ervin single handily won for us!!

Reply #471068 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"No Mystro, Petrie is more of a scorer."

Petrie averaged 10.9ppg last season.

Vukona averaged 11.2ppg last season.

Reply #471069 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

His twitter feed seems to imply that he is saying goodbye to Adelaide but can't really tell for sure.

Reply #471075 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I suspect he would be going home to the USA for a while now that the season is up his Visa would have ran out.

I think if you intend to get rid of a player like Ervin then you really need to have a known quality replacement. We didn't need Gary to be the #1 person on the team this year and that showed. The guy has been figured out by the league but is still able to perform.

Reply #471077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Ervin - you know what you get and he is exciting and frustrating at the same time. I like the fact he always has a smile on his face and looks to be having fun, this type of think is impulsive to others on the team.
the suspended sentence shouldn't be an issue, sixers should just put a clause in the contract and have a big fine/loss of payment/termination etc if suspended/any conduct detrimental.

I agree with NBL FAN, Newley isn't a marquee player, would much rather see a Flynn, Iverson, ennis type player that's really gonna draw crowds and get some media action like a delpierro has done for soccer.

Reply #471078 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sixers need shooters more than anything.

They're making it so hard on themselves trying to win games without a single legitimate 3 pt threat on the roster.

Their shot chart is not a picture of basketball harmony.

They also need less overlap of skillsets on the roster. You bring a guy like Cadee on for Ervin or Gibbo and he just does everything worse than the starters.

Your bench has to bring something else to the table, not just be worse versions of your starters. They need to bring a change-up.

I'd be bringing back Peach, Teys (not as a starter though), Gibbo, and maybe BJ, and telling everyone else they are replaceable. DJ obviously headed to Europe so is out.

They were so close this year but without a single three point threat I think you need to blow up half the team. Swapping one or two guys out isn't going to solve the problem because the whole roster is out of balance.

And Newley would be great to have back in the NBL, and perfect for the Sixers for so many reasons.

You get the prodigal son home, a franchise guy still in his prime, addresses many areas of need in one guy, and an instant league MVP candidate. If you can afford him...

I think Ervin simply has to go because you need a shooter at one of the backcourt positions, and you can't let Adam Gibson walk. I would say that you need a shooter at both of the backcourt positions, but again, you can't let Gibson walk so have to structure the roster around him. So by having that non shooter in the backcourt in Gibson, you need to make sure you have shooters at the 1, 3, 4 and 5 as often as you possibly can.

Reply #471081 | Report this post

Duffman  
Years ago

Macdub. Petrie was playing in a stacked lineup with DJ and Ervin taking the bulk of the shots. With DJ gone, I'd like to see Petrie get more more shots as he is a natural scorer. I'd like a new 4 man in a mould of Vukona, not a natural scorer yet gets it done through determination and hustle.

You know what I meant when I said Petrie was more of a scorer. smartass

Reply #471082 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Mick..I think you have no idea.

Reply #471083 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Mick..

The 6'ers were so close to the goal, wouldn't you want to keep the team together with the necessary tweaks rather than blow it up?

Reply #471086 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but what I'm saying is that the symmetry of the offense is so off that one or two tweaks won't do it. As it stands you have NO shooting. Bringing in one shooter isn't going to fix that. You go down the roster and there isn't a single guy who can fill it up from deep. It clogs up the the paint.

The Sixers did a tremendous job this year to win despite that, don't get me wrong.

Having said that, if you retain this core, and no other teams take a forward step, and Perth takes a step backwards without two home-run imports, you'd be instant title favourites.

Just my two cents. I'm a big believer in offensive geometry and having the floor constantly spread. If all your guys want to score from the same spot on the floor, it's gonna create some real estate problems.

Reply #471099 | Report this post

Duffman  
Years ago

I'd like Oscar Forman and Sam Young please;)

Reply #471102 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mick has a point about the balance of the roster. While Gibson is a very good all-around player, he is not an elite scoring threat from either the perimeter or from the paint.

It means you need to get both dribble penetration and shooting from the PG and SF positions. With the Sixers having Frye and Creek at SF this season, that put a lot more pressure on Gibson and Ervin to make outside shots.

This is why bringing Teys shooting into the starting lineup at SF had such a positive effect on the Sixers offence. The downside of that was a lack of size and rebounding which Perth exploited pretty decisively in the GF series.

I do think Ervin has improved his jumper significantly since he first came into the league, so if he continues to improve from the perimeter, that could be enough, provided the Sixers can get very good shooting from the SF position.

So the value of keeping Ervin is going to come down to who is brought in at SF and whether or not DJ can be retained (because he also can spread the floor).

Incidentally, there is one scenario where the Sixers could improve if they lost DJ. That is if they were able to replace him with a dominant under the basket big (I'm thinking a Bairstow type). You could then use Ervin's speed to attack the rim, where he would be much more potent if there was a guy he could dish to rather than having to take a tough shot every time. Petrie's ability to stretch the floor at the PF spot would then make it difficult for the D to collapse and stop the drive and dish.

The one problem you've got with only bringing back Gibson, Petrie, Teys and BJ though Mick, is that I believe Schenscher, Cadee and DJ all have another year (or at least an option) on their contracts.

Personally, I would try to keep as much of the team intact as possible, whilst trying to get another outstanding shooter, preferably at the SF position. (Clint Steindl would be sweet but I don't think he's available!)

Reply #471107 | Report this post

Clive  
Years ago

Goodbye Gary

Reply #471124 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The last thing you do is dismantle the runner up who had the best home record in club history and led the league in scoring because the offence has no symmetry! Maybe asymmetrical offences are the way to go if it produces that many points!

Re Ervin, I'm with the majority on here, better the devil you know, especially if that devil is a proven gun. They would want to have someone very good lined to replace him to let a player of his calibre go.

Reply #471132 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I would have to agree with paul & co. on this one.
Look what stood between the 36ers and the title this season. Home court advantage and Wildcats team for which the stars literally did align.
It's not often that an Ennis-calibre import comes along, and even less often that he ends up on a team that is so complete at all the other positions.

If the 36ers changed absolutely nothing they would have to be a great title shot next season, surely?

Reply #471135 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I would go with this line up:

Ervin/Carter
Gibson/Teys
Import*/Creek or rookie
Petrie/Anthony
Schenscher/?

I see Cadee moving on for more opportunity elsewhere.
If DJ stays they might go one import depending on points cap.

Reply #471138 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I think we should replace Ervin because we still won games without him and even though he helped us win some games he also helped us lose some. He needs to learn when to take control of the game and when to let the other players in the team help him out but he hasn't so far and i don't think he ever will.

Reply #471144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin who?

Reply #471156 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like Stevens line up, and also am of the opinion that we should keep Ervin, he is the best import we have had in a long time, and we had the best team/record we have had in a long time, so id be trying to keep pretty much everyone, the only way id let Ervin go is if we replace him with Cedric Jackson (or maybe Kevin Lisch).

I also agree good to keep a import, especially a good one, one of the best we have had for years, for more than one season. The other factor is Gary has said he would like to naturalise, not sure how close that is to happening or if it ever will, but it can be a huge advantage, and from Garys point of view if he is happy to play the right role could extend his NBL career.

Reply #471178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To much off court drama!!

Reply #471179 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Get rid of Ervin and make a play for Jamar Wilson. Similar talent, just a much cooler head.

Reply #471192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better person as we'll.

Reply #471215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect they won't get Ervin back.

Mick:

They also need less overlap of skillsets on the roster. You bring a guy like Cadee on for Ervin or Gibbo and he just does everything worse than the starters.
That's generally why players come off the bench and don't start... ;)

Future of DJ will potentially hold up some decisions for the 36ers, I'd say.

Reply #471232 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If Ervin doesn't return I would go for an import from the summer league in the U.S.

Reply #471233 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Wilson / Carter
Gibson / Teys
Newley / Creek
Petrie / Anthony
DJ / Schenscher

or

Wilson / Carter
Gibson / Teys
Import / Creek
Petrie / Anthony
DJ / Schenscher

or

Wilson / Carter
Gibson / Teys
Newley / Creek
Petrie / Anthony
Import/ Schenscher

or

Wilson / Carter
Gibson / Teys
Import/ Creek
Petrie / Anthony
DJ / Schenscher

Dont discount Corey Maynard from being in the NBL and with his links to the 36ers could be a roster spot smokey.

Reply #471241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would just be stupid to not bring Ervin back next season. We go from last to second and only missed taking out the whole competition by one game and people still think we need to change our first choice point guard?

We got a guy who is a former league MVP, an exciting player and interesting personality, popular teammate, runner up team MVP this year who is willing offering his loyalty to us for the rest of his career and we want to go and take a lucky dip into the import market again? What on earth are people smoking?

I really think that people just get off on the excitment of having a new face and unknown quantity coming into the club at the beginning of the season before it wears off after a month and the cycle starts again.

Keep everyone we can and lets go one better next year.

Reply #471378 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

You have to go with team balance and with DJ potentially leaving it could throw a massive spanner in the works. Imports may be needed to fill C/PF/SF positions given we have a plethora of guards.

The key as always will be the Australian talent they can sign.

Reply #471384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SETTLE EVERYONE - Trust in the Master. Make good choices he will. May the force be with you Joeda. We will follow..... Go Sixers !

Reply #471387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hold hold hold

Reply #471388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754