Rav
Years ago

Chad Ford - 2014 NBA Mock Draft 4.0

Lastest Mock Draft from Chad Ford (Only Did the top 15)
-----------------------------------------------------------
1 - Andrew Wiggins - Milwaukee Bucks (15 - 67) COLLEGE: Kansas
HT: 6-8 WT: 200 POS: SG
Odds of winning lottery: 25 percent

Analysis: Now that the Bucks are for sale, everything about their future is a little up in the air. It's unclear whether the new owners will keep John Hammond and David Morway on. They have two years left on their contract and were actually fighting their owner Herb Kohl the past few years. They wanted to rebuild, but Kohl didn't. Injuries forced the issue this year; it would be ironic if they lost their jobs after delivering the Bucks their first real chance at landing a superstar. Either way, I don't think there's a clear-cut favorite right now. They were leaning toward Joel Embiid before his back injury and could still end up going that way if Embiid comes out with a clean bill of health at the combine. Jabari Parker is the choice if they want someone who can help them win now. But I think the spot is still Wiggins' to lose. He's not the most NBA-ready, and he doesn't have the size or appeal of Embiid. But he has the highest upside of any of the Bucks and could be a monster on the floor next to Giannis Antetokounmpo.

2 - Jabari Parker - Philadelphia 76ers (19 - 63) COLLEGE: Duke
HT: 6-8 WT: 241 POS: SF
Odds of winning lottery: 19.9 percent

Analysis: Ownership deemed this season a success after finishing with the second-worst record in the league. That should be all you need to know about whether they were really tanking. If they end up with the No. 2 overall pick, forgive them for being a little bummed if Wiggins is off the board. However, Parker would be a nice consolation prize. He'd give the Sixers a guy who could score 20 points a night right out of the gate. And the Sixers have the length and athleticism to protect Parker on defense with Michael Carter-Williams in the backcourt and Nerlens Noel in the middle. Embiid is a dark horse here, though. He's not a perfect fit up front with Noel -- they are different players, and both are pretty raw -- but it would be an intriguing teaming nonetheless.

3 - Dante Exum - Orlando Magic (23 - 59) COLLEGE: Australia
HT: 6-6 WT: 188 POS: PG
Odds of winning lottery: 15.6 percent

Analysis: The Magic will surely be tempted with Embiid on the board, but they really need a point guard, and there are many scouts who believe Exum might be the best prospect in the draft. We will never know for sure because Exum hasn't and won't be able to play against the other top talents in the draft. But his size, quickness, basketball IQ and ability to play both the one and the two should make him an excellent fit in the backcourt next to Victor Oladipo.

4- Joel Embiid - Utah Jazz (25 - 57) COLLEGE: Kansas
HT: 7-0 WT: 250 POS: C
Odds of winning lottery: 10.4 percent

Analysis: Jazz fans want Parker in the worst way, but their team likely will have to win one of the top two spots in the lottery to get their hands on him. With the players left on the board, the Jazz face a quandry. They can go with the guy with the most upside (Embiid), or they can go with a player who can help them right away (Julius Randle). Assuming Embiid is healthy, I think he's the pick here. Pairing him on the floor every night with Derrick Favors would give the Jazz an unbelievable defensive front line. Landing him also might free up the team to explore Enes Kanter trades over the summer. While the Jazz love Kanter, if they have to pay big dollars to Gordon Hayward this summer in free agency, they might not be able to afford to pay him what he wants next summer.

5 - Aaron Gordon - Boston Celtics (25 - 57) COLLEGE: Arizona
HT: 6-8 WT: 210 POS: PF
Odds of winning lottery: 10.3 percent

Analysis: The Celtics could go a lot of different ways here, but most of those ways duplicate something they already have. The team would love to get their hands on Embiid, as he would help them with one of their biggest needs. But Gordon is intriguing here. He's a hybrid forward, but his athleticism and motor allow him to thrive at both the three and the four defensively. He adds toughness and does all the little things coaches love. I think he'd be a great fit on this Celtics squad.

6 - Julius Randle - Los Angeles Lakers (27 - 55) COLLEGE: Kentucky
HT: 6-9 WT: 225 POS: PF
Odds of winning lottery: 6.3 percent

Analysis: The Lakers have been eyeing Dante Exum and would be thrilled if he fell here. If he doesn't, they will have a tough decision to make here between Randle and Noah Vonleh. Vonleh might be a better fit in Mike D'Antonio's system. His Chris Bosh-like ability to spread the floor fits well with D'Antoni's preference for bigs who can shoot. But he's raw and probably not ready right now, whereas Randle is ready to come in and be a beast from day one. With the Lakers' entire front line heading into free agency this summer (including Pau Gasol, Chris Kaman and Jordan Hill), the Lakers are going to have a lot of needs up front.

7 - Marcus Smart - Sacramento Kings (28 - 54) COLLEGE: Oklahoma State
HT: 6-4 WT: 225 POS: PG
Odds of winning lottery: 4.3 percent

Analysis: The Kings would ideally love a shot-blocker here, but after Embiid, the pickings are pretty slim this year. They also could use a big point guard. Isaiah Thomas was terrific for the Kings this year, but Smart's size, toughness and leadership at the position are all major upgrades. This team desperately needs team players who care first and foremost about winning. I can't think of a better fit for Smart than the Kings. Mike Malone will love him immediately.

8 - Noah Vonleh - Detroit Pistons (29 - 53) COLLEGE: Indiana
HT: 6-10 WT: 240 POS: PF
Odds of winning lottery: 2.8 percent

Analysis: This Pistons are another team up in the air as far as management goes. It's unclear exactly what they are going to do now that Joe Dumars has left. Yes, the Pistons are strong up front, but I think Vonleh makes sense for three reasons. One, Greg Monroe is a restricted free agent, and given the Pistons' salary structure going forward, they might not want to pay him. Two, the Pistons really need a big man who can stretch the floor. Josh Smith thinks he's that guy, but his 26 percent shooting from 3-point range this season tells a different story. Lastly, Vonleh is, in my opinion, clearly the best player left on the board. You take him and figure things out later.

9 - Doug McDermott - Cleveland Cavaliers (33 - 49) COLLEGE: Creighton
HT: 6-8 WT: 210 POS: SF
Odds of winning lottery: 1.7 percent

Analysis: If you thought owner Dan Gilbert was impatient last year, wait until this year. It's "Playoff or Bust, Part II," for the Cavs, and you can make sure after last year's draft debacle that the Cavs are going to try to bring in a high-quality player who can contribute right now. McDermott might not be the sexiest prospect in the draft, but he's a four-year senior who can really shoot the basketball. He'll be a great fit in Cleveland, especially if Luol Deng decides to bolt this summer.

10 - Gary Harris - Philadelphia 76ers (19 - 63) COLLEGE: Michigan State
HT: 6-4 WT: 210 POS: SG
(pick via New Orleans Pelicans)

Odds of winning lottery: 1.1 percent

Analysis: If the Sixers can land their forward of the future in Parker, they can turn to adding another piece in the backcourt to play alongside Carter-Williams. The biggest knock on Harris is that he's undersized for his position, but playing next to Carter-Williams, that shouldn't be an issue. Harris is a terrific defender who can guard both backcourt spots. Assuming he reverts back to his freshman-year form, Harris also provides shooting and character on a young team. Put him and Parker on the floor with MCW and Noel and you have a very bright future in Philly.

11 - Tyler Ennis - Denver Nuggets (36 - 46) COLLEGE: Syracuse
HT: 6-2 WT: 180 POS: PG
(pick via New York Knicks)

Odds of winning lottery: 0.8 percent

Analysis: With Andre Miller gone, the Nuggets could use a full-time backup for Ty Lawson. Ennis would be a terrific fit. He gives the Nuggets a completely different pace, plays, for the most part, mistake-free basketball and has terrific poise for a player his age.

PLAYER CARD
12 - Dario Saric - Orlando Magic (23 - 59) COLLEGE: Croatia
HT: 6-10 WT: 223 POS: PF
(pick via Denver Nuggets)

Odds of winning lottery: 0.7 percent

Analysis: It looks unlikely that Saric will actually be able to come and play next year in the NBA. His father has been vocal that he doesn't believe Saric is ready, and they have, according to sources, a deal in principle with a team in Europe next year. But Saric's agent says that he's declaring for the draft, and if he decides to stay in, someone will grab him somewhere in the teens much like the Bulls did with Nikola Mirotic in 2011. He's one of the two or three most skilled forwards in the draft and represents great value here if a team is willing to be patient and wait a couple seasons before he comes. The Magic already have a top-3 pick and could afford to wait. The question is whether Saric will be happier going in the late-lottery or whether he'd like to pull out of the draft and try to be a top-10 pick in 2015.

13- Nik Stauskas - Minnesota Timberwolves (40 - 42) COLLEGE: Michigan HT: 6-6 WT: 190 POS: SG
Odds of winning lottery: 0.6 percent

Analysis: The Wolves' biggest need right now continues to be shooting. Stauskas is one of the true elite shooters in the draft. He has unlimited range, a super-quick release, and as a bonus, he can play point guard in a pinch.

14 - Zach LaVine - Phoenix Suns (48 - 34) COLLEGE: UCLA
HT: 6-5 WT: 180 POS: PG
Odds of winning lottery: 0.5 percent

Analysis: LaVine is a swing-for-the-fences pick. He has the chance to be a home run down the road. He's blessed with both elite athleticism and an awesome jump shot. His body and decision-making skills aren't ready for the NBA yet, but he has tremendous upside for a player drafted this late.

15 - James Young - Atlanta Hawks (38 - 44) COLLEGE: Kentucky
HT: 6-7 WT: 200 POS: SF
Analysis: The Hawks have been looking for another wing man, and Young has tremendous upside here. If he had shot the ball more consistently as a freshman, he would have been gone six to eight spots higher. Still, scouts are convinced there's nothing wrong with his stroke, and given a little more time, he could be very effective at stretching defenses.

Topic #34303 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Exum hasn't and won't be able to play against the other top talents in the draft."

He has at the World Championships, Nike Hoops Summit and Adidas Nations.

Reply #471379 | Report this post

Clive  
Years ago

Koberulz above ^ does make a good point lets not forget his under 17s and under19s performances.

Reply #471380 | Report this post

Pug 32  
Years ago

Who is Slotted in OKC 21 and 29 picks?

Reply #471382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is no way Utah are going to let a good white player slip - McDermott is going there!

Reply #471383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OKC Picks are here. Basically saying that picks this low in the draft won't help them immediately win the championship. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and trade the picks.

21 Jusuf Nurkic Oklahoma City Thunder (59 - 23)COLLEGE: BosniaHT: 6-11WT: 280POS: C
(pick via Dallas Mavericks)

Analysis: Nurkic has NBA size and soft hands to play the center position, and let's face it, in a draft devoid of bigs, that's a commodity. His lack of elite athleticism and some conditioning issues probably keep him from going higher, but this is a nice draft-and-stash candidate for the Thunder.

29 C.J. Wilcox Oklahoma City Thunder (59 - 23)COLLEGE: WashingtonHT: 6-5WT: 180POS: SG
Analysis: The Thunder could always use more shooting, and Wilcox is another lights-out shooter. He has the size and athleticism to play the 2, but his age causes him to fall. I think this would be a nice late pickup for the Thunder.

Reply #471392 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Parker is a little bit overweight/out of shape.

Crazy to think what kind of explosiveness/strength/power he can add to his game after a full NBA pre-season.

Reply #471394 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Hey first off i really appreciate you doing this, wish i was an insider secondly is Bairstow ranked in the power forward/center rankings at all? I remember Broekoff last year was around 24th best sf ranked in the draft according to Chad who is ridiculously good at what he does. A profile on Bairstow would be very much appreciated thanks!

Reply #471428 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Hey Benno,
Not a lot on Bairstow.
But info provided below.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Cameron Bairstow
Power Forward - 6'-9", 250 lbsNew Mexico
Age - 23
Birth - Dec 7, 1990
Hometown - Australia
Class - Senior

Player Evaluations By Chad Ford
Overall Rank - 111
Position Rank - 27
Hollinger PER - 29.26
Projection - Second Round Pick/Undrafted

Positives:
- Old school power forward
- Does most of his work in the paint
- Crafty
- Draws a lot of fouls

Negatives:
- Lacks elite athletic ability
- Needs to improve shooting range

Reply #471430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any1 feeling brett to get his hands on dante... old relationship with dad

Reply #471433 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Cheers Rav legend!

Reply #471435 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thanks Rav.

Didn't realise Bairstow was "only" 6"9.

Thought he was 6"10.5 -6"11ish.

Is one of the issues that he may be a tweener?

Reply #471437 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

No worries guys,

I don't really agree with Chad's assessment of Bairstow's athleticism.
I have watched a number of New Mexico's games this year & when he puts the ball on the floor, he is very good at beating his defender & scoring.
I think he is deceptively quick for a 4 & could play the 5 due to his strength.
Don't like his chances of being drafted though, but he might follow Delly & be picked up as a undrafted rookie.

Reply #471441 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Delly was high 90s on chads draft board about this time last year, however with no workouts done stuff can change and we could see cams stock rise. If everything doesn't work out he could go euro, bulk up and refine his game and could get another look like aron. Cam seriously came out of nowhere this year.. i believe he has a lot of potential and i would love to see him get a real run in summer league!

Reply #471451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder where Delly would go if the draft was done again today!

Reply #471464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2023589-re-drafting-the-first-round-of-2013-nba-draft-end-of-season-edition

Bleacher Report did this 2 weeks ago & had Delly going 30 & Adams going at number 11.

11. Philadelphia 76ers: Steven Adams, Pittsburgh C (7'0")
Original 2013 Draft: No. 12

At this point in the draft, the Philadelphia 76ers are still looking for a building block in the frontcourt, and Pittsburgh's Steven Adams is a can't-miss specimen at this stage of the draft.

Standing 7'0" with a 255-pound frame and tremendous mobility, the New Zealand native proved he can contribute at the rotational level as a 20-year-old.

He lacks the fluidity or advanced skills necessary to be a featured post scorer, but he could become a low-block threat in a couple years. Adams is a coachable prospect and has all the physical tools required to thrive in the Association.

If he can help the Oklahoma City Thunder compete in the West as a rookie, he certainly presents a low-risk, high-reward option for the bottom-feeding Sixers.

30. Golden St. Warriors (via Phoenix): Matthew Dellavedova, St. Mary's PG (6'4")
Original 2013 Draft: Undrafted

I understood the initial concerns about Matthew Dellavedova as a draft prospect. He's not going to blow anyone away athletically, he's not the most fluid scorer, and there are defensive matchup issues to worry about.

However, the thought of him going undrafted was puzzling.

He's a top-notch pick-and-roll operator, an accurate shooter with range and one of the fiercest competitor's you'll find.

With apologies to Nemanja Nedovic, who's an intriguing prospect, Dellavedova is better equipped to handle the rigors of being a backup point man in the Association.

Reply #471495 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

Vonleh projected about low? I would take in front of randle. Stauskas at 13 steal....

Reply #471519 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

SB Nation has lots of great draft articles & discussions. Was reading a couple of good ones on Liberty Ballers (76's) at SB Nation the other day. Lots of Exum discussions about.

Reply #471531 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LOL @ Utah not letting Dougie McBuckets slip past them @ #4! As a Celtics fan, I would LOVE for that to happen!

Re: Philly taking Dante, I could see it happening if they drop a couple of slots after the lottery. If they have a top two pick, I can't see their GM passing up Wiggins/Parker/ Embiid in favour of Exum.

I am curious as to why different people consistently have the Lakers taking Randle @ #6. I'd lean towards Vonleh ahead of him. Both are imperfect prospects, but I'm hearing that Randle is too undersized and will struggle to replicate his physical college game in the pros.

Reply #471560 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

These mocks drafts that play into team motivations/needs before the lottery has been drawn are absolute nonsense.

The team with the highest odds of winning the lottery only has 19% chance.

Reply #471572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754