Jack Toft
Years ago

CABL Grand Final

If you had told me at the start of the season that The Lady Flames would not be in the GF I would have laughed at you, asked if you had taken your meds, then asked what pyschic you had been to. But Norwood aren't there, and in their place it’s a classic battle between good and evil. In the black corner we have Sturt, the club we all love to hate. They are the Collingwood / Manly of the competition and rumours of them selling grandmothers is completely false. In the white corner we have the Rockettes. In their spare time they help grandmothers cross the road, water their garden and then fetch their cats out of trees.

There are punters on this forum writing off Sturt due to the injury to one player. Let me warn you that Sturt should not be taken lightly. Just because one string on their violin is broken, doesn’t mean they can’t beat the devil in a fiddle competition. They will be giving it their all to get a flag just to hang up next to their gold fiddle collection.

For North, it is all about Jo. This is her very last CABL game and she is an inspiration to any young player, particularly those playing with or against her. The script has been written perfectly and if we didn’t know better, even Walt Disney wouldn’t have scripted this final chapter more eloquently. The title must go to North. Denying Jo her spot in the sun would be like stealing the wheels of a disabled kid’s wheelchair, on her way to chemo.

But just remember girls to get Jo back home by midnight before she turns into a pumpkin.

In the men’s we have the Battle of the Westerners. Woodville had a hiccup off court during the season, but responded well to steal back top spot from the Flames. West had been a solid performer all season, but have saved their best until the major round. I’m sure they will claim they have been in 3rd gear all season, but I reckon in the week before finals, they secretly had their XC Falcon on the hoist, dropped out the engine to replace it with a 351 Chevy engine.

Oh, this will be a delicious game. Both teams have won on home courts this season. Starling, the darling of Woodville, took out the Woollacott MVP medal, but it will mean nothing if Woodville don’t despatch West. For West, it is all about the shooting. In their loss to Woodville, they shot poorly. Was it a bad night, or the pressure of those Warriors?

Both teams have a good case to win this flag, and not many reasons to lose the game. That’s what makes it hard to pick a winner tonight, and that is what will make this grand final such a pearler. This could go either way. Woodville have been the better team this season and rightly deserve their minor premiership. West have saved their best for the major round and are hotter than Moomba at midday. I have a gut feeling West will get this one, but then again I think the Warriors have the slightly fresher legs and will keep the tempo up meaning this could be a double century game in what could be a 3 point party. The West freight train to run out of steam, Warriors to get this one.

Topic #35250 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another thouhful righup JT.
Yes Dirty Stirty have been up to their usual tricks and are the definitely regarded as the dark side by most other clubs re using lawyers to stretch oops did i say that i meant enforcing the dodgy rules. The Double Blues despite losing one of their imports still have the "Ange" + COY Moule and of course hoops # 1 anon contributor Meske. luv ya work Paul. So they are still a tough outfit and nothing should be taken for granted by lady Rockets. BUT the North Adelaide babies and the Ol girl are defintetly sentimental favourites, they don't give up and have surprised pundits all year. I give them the edge with the PERIS/ HILL combination plus any number of possible X factor contributors..
Maybe Shazza and the Flames should re look at their transition model for juniors and playing CABL rather than paying $ to win premierships. Rockets are leading the way in this regard
Lastly yes this is JO HILL'S testimonial year but nothing has been said re it being her last CABL season. OMG all star 5 plus and runner up Halls suggests - no reason for Jo to hang up the boots yet, still more juniors to nurture/mentor.
Best of luck to both teams. prefer Rocket win

Heard not all happy campers in Woodville camp. Corey/Ben ticket still has disention amongst Green followers which is a cancer in mens team. Right for the picking by wiley Bearcats.

Reply #490134 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

V nice write up Jack. Well done. I won't be at the games but will follow as soon as I can get out of the other stuff I have to do Sat night.
Thanks to you and Not-Jack for reports and comments this year.
Much appreciated.

Reply #490135 | Report this post

the crystal ball  
Years ago

North by 15-20, woodville by 2

Reply #490139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North by 2 in OT and West by 10

Reply #490140 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

I'm going Jo Hill Fouled off after a 2nd Tech early in the 4th and Spalding to have blinder with Marino punching out a record number of 3's....

Reply #490164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt to continue to niggle Hill and end up winning the game. McPhail to last 7 minutes this game!!

Reply #490184 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I hope the refs keep an eye on that. Sneaky little holds, slaps, bumps, pushes - oh well, if that is what they have to do . . .

Reply #490186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they are watching for all the antic and flopping that Jo Hill foes that leads to tech fouls in the wnbl rather than allowing her immune status which she gets mist week's in SA.

Reply #490193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bitches are out in force already by the looks...gotta love womens bball

Reply #490199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations to Alex starling for winning the 2014 abl championship....Woodville didn't win, that guy coulda played with 4 retards and won tonight.

Reply #490474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to the Woodville vets that made the winning plays

Reply #490478 | Report this post

so close  
Years ago

sturt women just fell short of what would have been their women's programme finest hour - take 3 players out just before GF - 1 being your gun.

Fortune favoured the rockets tonight - everyone knew sturt at full strength would have got it done.

some interesting calls as well........

Reply #490487 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Credit to the Sturt Women who almost got there. They looked tired in the end and if their bench was full strength with their 2 juniors who left for college this week and Natalie Novosel injured, they would have embarrassed the Reds big time... As it stands a great Grand Final to watch and yes perhaps the calls were interesting but when you're playing the Rockets with you know who in the team in a testimonial year, 3rd time opportunity and well I'll stop there. It was always going to be a hard gig to stop that write up on the BSA website…..

Reply #490500 | Report this post

Anon99  
Years ago

Womens
Seriously 49 fouls called in the women game(33 in the men)
12 "fouls on" one player (a great player) or 50% of the North's teams fouls received
Even if you exclude the last couple in the last 30 seconds then still ten for the game!
Seems like there are two sets of rules/calls - legend and all that.
Maybe they were all there but why only one......

Reply #490518 | Report this post

mack truck  
Years ago

LOL end line play where player inbounding ran from one side of key to the other under the basket before throwing it in

Reply #490640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to Al and his Woodville team on winning the title.
Lucky they spent so much on their boys programs over the past 5 years.
The sacrifice of their girls program has finally paid off.
Its ok, they can celebrate with girls from other clubs....

Reply #490644 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Well done North Adelaide Rockets. Awesome win from a team that many stated wouldn't do it! Nice to see some future young players on the court. A huge win for them
Congratulations to Corey and The Woodville Warrior's mens team. I don't recall seeing Al there. Corey you and Tom have done a fantastic job all season. The girls program has been has been a stand still for many many years so no need to comment about it! Wonderful win to a great team !
We can all complain about the reff's but at the end of the day they just call what they see. Sometimes they are blind or choose not to call but hey as far as I am concerned the two Best teams won last night

Reply #490682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annon,

Embarassed them big time? With a full team you just got over the line against North earlier in the finals with a home court advantage. In my opinion you focussed too much on trying to get a North player off their game and at times your team was out of control from the point position. It could have gone anyway same as the semi final could have gone anyway

Reply #490749 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

Anon 644..read a paper, Hoops, get into a basketball stadium..anything!

Al and his Woodville boys?????

with someone who has their finger on the pulse such as you I'm sure your opinion is an educated one..

Reply #490755 | Report this post

Ohplease  
Years ago

Sturt should hang their heads in shame. They let down Novasel who carried them through the season. What was with the flopping all night? And the coach with the order to Marino to get the elbows in to try and get the fouls.

Basketball wins games, not dirty, try hard tactics. That's why North won. Anyone not convinced, go and watch a replay. Refs were kind to Sturt with not calling their flopping, elbows and the unlimited travel.

The last flop that sent Anderson to the line to seal the victory was embarrassing.

Re-run of last years prelim, just on a bigger stage and allowed North to have the fairy tale.

Alex Starling went out with a purpose, to win a title for the team. Good on him. Woodville you got the score that counts, the one at the final whistle.

Reply #490776 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Oh please you are hilariously !@#%$^$

Last nights team plus Novosel, pus Brine, plus Matthews would have swept the floor.

It is the Rockets who should have knocked them right over but didn't.

Do you really believe if the shoe was on the other foot and say your superstar went down injured and you lost 2 of your others that you could have had the same result. Look at the stat line.

Be humble in the win and yes both sides had issues good and bad and some calls were bad both ways but to make the statements you made are plain old !@#$$%&^

Reply #490796 | Report this post

W  
Years ago

girls, girls. settle down

Reply #490925 | Report this post

W  
Years ago

But Well Deserved to the Warriors, Fantastic season despite internal issues.

Reply #490926 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Novosel carried Sturt so much that they lost by just 3... Gee they must have been a light carry……. Just waiting to bring on their big game more like it with lots left hidden up their sleeves. Lets hope there can be a rematch next year when all at full strength.

Reply #491012 | Report this post

great SA Final  
Years ago

wow i am not associated with either Sturt or North but can I say to the posters above that it's poor sportsmanship to come on here & make excuses for coming 2nd to a team which clearly deserved the championship.

Novasel is a big loss BUT it's a team game & I agree with who said even in the earlier final North pushed sturt

I think that North are the type of team which would be a chance even if Sturt had all players available

Sturt people seem to be bad losers

Reply #491014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha. Yeah right.

Reply #491020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe by then BSA will close the loop hole allowing Sturt to playing both Marina and Novosel. Isnt it lucky to have lawyers in your club that scare BSA.

Reply #491055 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Marino is not an import - how many times do you have to hear it !!!!

Reply #491072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you should get the full facts annon

Reply #491076 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Full Facts - dual citizen = not import Pretty simple really !!!!

Reply #491141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

full facts = plays wnbl as an Australian

full facts = born and raised in Australia

full facts = granted exemption having played over 100 games for her junior club at ABL level

Reply #491178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't born in Australia.

Granted an exemption due to club threatening legal action.

Reply #491187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those 100 games must be as an unrestricted player!!

Reply #491228 | Report this post

still laughing  
Years ago

read the bylaw carefully, it clearly states that the player must have played 8 season as an unrestricted player OR 100 abl games for that club. it is all about how the bylaw is structured. move on!!!!!

Reply #491230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep laughing - they still lost out in the end!!!

Karma - don't you love it. BTW who turned the ball over in the dying moments with a basic U10 skill error?

Reply #491231 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Grand Finals recap now up on PnR thanks to Daniel Troy.

Central ABL Grand Final - Rockets and Warriors Clinch Titles in Thrillers

Season 2014 is in the bag after a thrilling double-header of Grand Final games, decided by a total of only 5 points for the evening. A superstar performance, a fitting win for a veteran, heart stopping defeat and a valiant effort were all on display last Saturday night, as the leagues best battled it out for the Championship.

Reply #491873 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754